Sony not Windows 7 capable

psellier

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hi,
I own a Sony Vaio VGN-SZ650 notebook, bought in October 2007, with MS Vista Pro, 4GB of memory and enough disk space. I was planning to upgrade to Windows 7 with the knowledge that if Vista works, Windows 7 will work.
I have discovered two days ago that Sony, on his support site, informs everyone that the VGN - SZ650 notebook is NOT windows 7 capable. Surprising enough for a two year notebook.
When I asked by mail the reasons to Sony support the answer was ridiculous and suggesting to by a new computer!
When I used the MS Windows 7 upgrade advisor the result was a suggestion to update several things, particularly my graphic adapter which is not Aero compatible. Surprising. No update seems to be available.
In fact it seems first that Sony do not want to produce the necessary upgrade for Windows 7. Is it acceptable for a 2 year computer?
Second, if Vista works Windows 7 will not work in any case.
What do you think? May I try to upgrade despite this negative advice? What else could I do?

djcoolmasterx

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2007
I run windows 7 on me eeepc 1000h which is definatly not "windows 7 capable" with full aero nice and responsive and it has weaker hardware then your SZ650. Performance will not be an issue, if it can run vista it will run 7.

Also, vista drivers can be used on windows 7.

djcoolmaster is right. If it can run Vista, it can run 7. Sony is simply trying to make you spend more money on them.

I say back up any data you have on the laptop that you want to save, wipe the drive out and install 7. Then, just for kicks, take a picture of your laptop running Windows 7 and send it to Sony's support staff :).

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Considering Windows 7 runs like a charm on my 4-year old Sempron-based laptop with 2GB RAM I'd say Sony are talking *** just to get you to spend a lot more money with them.

As stated above, if it runs Vista it'll run 7. And probably better too.

I concur. This is just an attempt by Sony to con you into buying a new computer. I have a feeling that many other brands will/are trying the same thing. Like everyone said, if a computer is Vista capable, it is most definitely W7 capable.

psellier

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

Thank you all for your help.

I think also that this is a "push" from Sony to sale new computers. It will not occur!

But to be exact, the MS upgrade advice test says clearly that I will have a problem with the graphic adapter Nvidia Geforce 6400M GS. In fact no update, even for Vista, seems available on the Net since 2007 (before I buy my computer!).

Those who already use this card on other computers have the same problem. Only the basic graphic definition (Stamina) is available!

The shame is that Sony, knowing this for months, has made nothing to fix this problem. Nor the others. Nor Nvidia.

So, to summarize, I have to try. Is it better to make an upgrade or a clean install?

abcnomad

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Hey! I have an older computer than you VGN-SZ480, and I received the same response from Sony about the support for Windows 7. They are full of you know what. I've been running Windows 7 RC (64-bit even - which Sony says this computer doesn't support also!) on this computer for months now, without any real problems except for a few driver issues that I was hoping Sony would address. Most of the other computer makers seem to have released new Windows 7 drivers... but I should have expected Sony to not support Windows 7 - they are notorious for not supporting their computers. I believe their average support timeframe is about 6 months. Ridiculous.

There are a number of clean install guides for Windows 7, written specifically for the SZ series out there. Just Google "Sony SZ Windows 7 clean install" and you should find tons of info. Sorry I don't have any of the links off-hand here with me.

Also, it may be helpful for you to know that in my experience, basically everything except the webcam is working. (This may be a 64-bit vs. 32-bit driver issue more than Windows 7 vs. Vista though.) I have also noticed that my power consumption is a bit higher - i.e. my battery doesn't last as long as before - but I also think this has to do with the native Sony drivers that don't exist on Windows 7. I have both the on-board Intel graphics adapter and my Nvidia 7-series (are you sure yours is a 6-series?) running fine. In fact, the video is better than before. Budget a day or so to install and iron out the issues. But with your SZ6 series and 4 gigs of RAM, you should be able to run 7 perfectly fine, and I have faith that with a clean install minus all of that CRAP that Sony installs on all their new computers (mine came with incompatible XP-utilities installed on a Vista machine!) you will notice a HUGE boost in speed.

Good luck!

abcnomad

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
PS: Go ahead and install the standard Nvidia drivers from their website. You might have to use a modded INF file (again, you can google this) but it will work fine. I'm using the latest Nvidia driver build from their website.

psellier

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Hi,
Thank you for this detailed and valuable answer. To say the truth, even if I know that it is better, I fear a little to make a clean install. Nevertheless, I will try as soon as I get my Windows 7 upgrade issue.

My graphic adapter is really a Nvidia 6400 serie

My fear concerns the time spent and the difficulties to find drivers, as Sony does not help that much. This is scandalous. Have I a chance to use Vista drivers in this particular case?

Apart of this I have made yesterday a Windows 7 upgrade (and not a clean install) of a Sony Vaio P. It works, despite some problems detected in advance by MS windows upgrade advice when I started the installation, not founded during installation.

I will try next week end to upgrade my Sony SZ650. In case of failure, I will reload original Vista, AND I will forget the name of Sony for my future computer.

My son always say that I should buy a Mac. Untill now I considered that it was a joke. Now I am less sure!

Best regards.

P. Sellier

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Vista drivers will work in most situations (I fooled around testing Win7 beta drivers vs. Vista drivers for a few things, and found no difference myself).

Microsoft auto update will likely automatically download all required drivers for you.
Did it for both my current i7 system and my old Pentium D system.

For any compatibility, I have only come a few programs that you can't just run in XP SP3 mode (such as a game form the 90s I loved).

It may seem risky now, but as you'll likely find out soon enough, it's quick, easy, and worthwhile.

And if all else fails, well, an upgrade isn't such a bad thing (I recommend a Dell Vostro 1720. Get the 1920x1200 screen, the dedicated video, 4GB memory, the P8600 and nothing else... hell of a lot cheaper than a mac and a hell of a lot better... saving for this baby myself).