Best card for HL2

Hello guys and gals,
I'm sure you get this all the time, but having trawled through the group
for a bit, I couldn't find much info. I've received HL2 for Christmas and
have about £100 (~$70) to spend on a new graphics card to replace my ailing
GeForce II <shame>. Anyway, after checking a few sites, it appears the
Radeon 9600XT seems to have the best performance for my budget. I don't want
to start off any ATI vs NVidia arguements, but if anyone has any other
suggestions I'd be glad to hear them !

Many thanks,

Dan
21 answers Last reply
More about best card

    Dan wrote:
    > Hello guys and gals,
    > I'm sure you get this all the time, but having trawled through the group
    > for a bit, I couldn't find much info. I've received HL2 for Christmas and
    > have about £100 (~$70) to spend on a new graphics card to replace my ailing
    > GeForce II <shame>. Anyway, after checking a few sites, it appears the
    > Radeon 9600XT seems to have the best performance for my budget. I don't want
    > to start off any ATI vs NVidia arguements, but if anyone has any other
    > suggestions I'd be glad to hear them !

    Yup the 9600 offers pretty good performance for the pound, as Peter
    said, if you can stretch to a 9800XT, then even better.. 1 Warning
    though - when buying an ATI 9xxx series card, make sure you avoid
    "Powercolor", who offer cheaper & less powerful versions of ATI cards.
    Prefer Hercules, Sapphire or ATI Branded cards instead

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    "Dan" <no@spam.please> wrote in message
    > Hello guys and gals,
    > I'm sure you get this all the time, but having trawled through the
    > group for a bit, I couldn't find much info. I've received HL2 for
    > Christmas and have about £100 (~$70) to spend on a new graphics card to
    > replace my ailing GeForce II <shame>. Anyway, after checking a few sites,
    > it appears the Radeon 9600XT seems to have the best performance for my
    > budget. I don't want to start off any ATI vs NVidia arguements, but if
    > anyone has any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them !
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Dan

    the 9800 listed here is in your price range and will do very nicely
    http://www.retekdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Video_Cards.html

    "Dan" wrote

    > I'm sure you get this all the time, but having trawled through the
    > group for a bit, I couldn't find much info. I've received HL2 for
    > Christmas and have about £100 (~$70) to spend on a new graphics card to
    > replace my ailing GeForce II <shame>. Anyway, after checking a few sites,
    > it appears the Radeon 9600XT seems to have the best performance for my
    > budget. I don't want to start off any ATI vs NVidia arguements, but if
    > anyone has any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them !

    Go for the 9600 or if you can raise to 9800XT

    - Peter

    "Peter Lykkegaard" <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Dan" wrote
    >
    >> I'm sure you get this all the time, but having trawled through the
    >> group for a bit, I couldn't find much info. I've received HL2 for
    >> Christmas and have about £100 (~$70) to spend on a new graphics card to
    >> replace my ailing GeForce II <shame>. Anyway, after checking a few sites,
    >> it appears the Radeon 9600XT seems to have the best performance for my
    >> budget. I don't want to start off any ATI vs NVidia arguements, but if
    >> anyone has any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them !
    >>
    > Go for the 9600 or if you can raise to 9800XT
    >
    > - Peter
    I bought a 9800xt....it works great! I give it a big thumbs up...on the
    other hand I know others with 9600...and they have no complaints.
    I think it's down to budget....if you can stretch to 9800xt go for it...I
    did
    ....I didn't eat for a week, but hey it was worth it

    --
    Dr C [AGHL]

    "Dr C[AGHL]" <DRCowling99spam@hotmail.com> wrote

    > ...I didn't eat for a week, but hey it was worth it

    The saved food managed to feed the rest of our town for 4 days though, so
    all was not too bad:)
    --
    David
    davidfirewater(a)hotmail.com

    "David Firewater" <davidfirewater.nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > The saved food managed to feed the rest of our town for 4 days though, so
    > all was not too bad:)

    Apparently the local Oxfam shop were able to send
    a years worth of food parcels to Africa.

    I helped millions and all because of Half Life 2

    --
    Dr C [AGHL]

    Sleepy wrote:
    > "Dan" <no@spam.please> wrote in message
    > > Hello guys and gals,
    > > I'm sure you get this all the time, but having trawled through
    > > the group for a bit, I couldn't find much info. I've received HL2
    > > for Christmas and have about £100 (~$70) to spend on a new graphics
    > > card to replace my ailing GeForce II <shame>. Anyway, after
    > > checking a few sites, it appears the Radeon 9600XT seems to have
    > > the best performance for my budget. I don't want to start off any
    > > ATI vs NVidia arguements, but if anyone has any other suggestions
    > > I'd be glad to hear them !
    > >
    > > Many thanks,
    > >
    > > Dan
    > >
    > the 9800 listed here is in your price range and will do very nicely
    > http://www.retekdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Video_Cards.html

    Are refurbished cards to be trusted?

    --
    To alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

    "Jimbob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Sleepy wrote:
    >> "Dan" <no@spam.please> wrote in message
    >> > Hello guys and gals,
    >> > I'm sure you get this all the time, but having trawled through
    >> > the group for a bit, I couldn't find much info. I've received HL2
    >> > for Christmas and have about £100 (~$70) to spend on a new graphics
    >> > card to replace my ailing GeForce II <shame>. Anyway, after
    >> > checking a few sites, it appears the Radeon 9600XT seems to have
    >> > the best performance for my budget. I don't want to start off any
    >> > ATI vs NVidia arguements, but if anyone has any other suggestions
    >> > I'd be glad to hear them !
    >> >
    >> > Many thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Dan
    >> >
    >> the 9800 listed here is in your price range and will do very nicely
    >> http://www.retekdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Video_Cards.html
    >
    > Are refurbished cards to be trusted?
    >
    > --
    > To alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.

    I got one 6 months ago - a 9700 non pro thats going great and even
    overclocks from 275/270 to 321/291 rock stable - cost me £60.

    Sleepy wrote:
    > "Jimbob" <meandyou@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Sleepy wrote:
    > > > "Dan" <no@spam.please> wrote in message

    > > > the 9800 listed here is in your price range and will do very
    > > > nicely http://www.retekdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Video_Cards.html
    > >
    > > Are refurbished cards to be trusted?
    > >
    > > --
    > > To alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
    > >

    > I got one 6 months ago - a 9700 non pro thats going great and even
    > overclocks from 275/270 to 321/291 rock stable - cost me £60.

    oooh.. tidy. I'm looking for a 9800, might give them a go.

    --

    Ben Cottrell wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> Hello guys and gals,
    >> I'm sure you get this all the time, but having trawled through the
    >> group for a bit, I couldn't find much info. I've received HL2 for
    >> Christmas and have about £100 (~$70) to spend on a new graphics card
    >> to replace my ailing GeForce II <shame>. Anyway, after checking a few
    >> sites, it appears the Radeon 9600XT seems to have the best performance
    >> for my budget. I don't want to start off any ATI vs NVidia arguements,
    >> but if anyone has any other suggestions I'd be glad to hear them !
    >

    > Yup the 9600 offers pretty good performance for the pound, as Peter
    > said, if you can stretch to a 9800XT, then even better.. 1 Warning
    > though - when buying an ATI 9xxx series card, make sure you avoid
    > "Powercolor", who offer cheaper & less powerful versions of ATI cards.
    > Prefer Hercules, Sapphire or ATI Branded cards instead

    Yes, good point. Avoid 64 bit cards at all costs.

    "Jimbob" wrote

    >> I got one 6 months ago - a 9700 non pro thats going great and even
    >> overclocks from 275/270 to 321/291 rock stable - cost me £60.
    >
    > oooh.. tidy. I'm looking for a 9800, might give them a go.

    (Afaik :-) The 9700 is not dx9 cards, but very, very decent dx8 cards

    > "Jimbob" wrote
    >>>>
    >>> I got one 6 months ago - a 9700 non pro thats going great and even
    >>> overclocks from 275/270 to 321/291 rock stable - cost me £60.
    >>
    >> oooh.. tidy. I'm looking for a 9800, might give them a go.
    >>
    > (Afaik :-) The 9700 is not dx9 cards, but very, very decent dx8 cards
    >
    > - Peter

    9600 and up are DX9 I think Peter.

    Actually, 9500 and up.

    DaveL

    > 9600 and up are DX9 I think Peter.

    On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:33:04 +0100, "Peter Lykkegaard"
    <polonline@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >(Afaik :-) The 9700 is not dx9 cards, but very, very decent dx8 cards

    Wrong, they are decent DX8&9 cards.

    "Andrew" wrote

    > Wrong, they are decent DX8&9 cards.

    Oh ok - thanks
    One of the first dx9'ers then?

    - Peter

    Cheers guys, another quick question : is there a diference between an 'SE'
    and 'Lite Version' ? It's just that I've found a
    'Sapphire Radeon 9800 128mb 128-bit DDR, AGP8x, DVI/TV-Out - Lite Retail
    Box' on eBuyer that looks pretty good, just don't want to buy an SE version
    if possible !

    Many thanks,

    Dan

    Dan wrote:
    > Cheers guys, another quick question : is there a diference between an 'SE'
    > and 'Lite Version' ? It's just that I've found a
    > 'Sapphire Radeon 9800 128mb 128-bit DDR, AGP8x, DVI/TV-Out - Lite Retail
    > Box' on eBuyer that looks pretty good, just don't want to buy an SE version
    > if possible !
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Dan

    "Lite Version" smells like a SE to me. also try looking for ones with
    more/faster memory (256MB and 256-bit) if you can stretch the budget to it.

    Actually the Powercolor 9800SE version is a 4 pipe 256 bit card. Better than
    even odds of soft modding to a full blown 9800Pro. The default clock speeds
    are 380/340; so even if you can't do the soft mod you're still doing better
    than a 9600Pro.

    Chris Hawley wrote:
    > Dan wrote:
    >
    >> Cheers guys, another quick question : is there a diference between an
    >> 'SE' and 'Lite Version' ? It's just that I've found a
    >> 'Sapphire Radeon 9800 128mb 128-bit DDR, AGP8x, DVI/TV-Out - Lite
    >> Retail Box' on eBuyer that looks pretty good, just don't want to buy
    >> an SE version if possible !
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >>
    >> Dan
    >>

    > "Lite Version" smells like a SE to me. also try looking for ones with
    > more/faster memory (256MB and 256-bit) if you can stretch the budget to it.

    I agree, 128-bit memory looks like an SE. getting 256-bit memory should
    be a priority. Quantity (256MB or 128MB) isn't quite as important..
    the difference is usually only noticable when you crank up FSAA and AF
    in games

    --
    Ben Cottrell AKA Bench

    Dan wrote:
    > Cheers guys, another quick question : is there a diference between an 'SE'
    > and 'Lite Version' ? It's just that I've found a
    > 'Sapphire Radeon 9800 128mb 128-bit DDR, AGP8x, DVI/TV-Out - Lite Retail
    > Box' on eBuyer that looks pretty good, just don't want to buy an SE version
    > if possible !
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Dan

    I can't believe that the 128bit cards are still being sold as Pro's in
    some stores. I thought this had stopped 6 or more months ago after a
    huge outcry. A 128bit card is a crippled 9800Pro. You need to find a
    256bit card. Note 'bit' not 'MB'.

    A 128MB, 256bit 9800Pro would be a good buy. The names are definitely
    confusing. I have the Sapphire 'Lite' version. 'Lite' when I bought
    mine just meant that it didn't come with games etc. It was still a
    256bit 9800Pro. Dont forget - it's the 'bits' that count not what it's
    called. Look at the specs before buying. Shaun

    > Cheers guys, another quick question : is there a diference between an
    > 'SE' and 'Lite Version' ? It's just that I've found a
    > 'Sapphire Radeon 9800 128mb 128-bit DDR, AGP8x, DVI/TV-Out - Lite
    > Retail Box' on eBuyer that looks pretty good, just don't want to buy
    > an SE version if possible !
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Dan

    That card with 128 bit DDR is a "lite" card. The full 9800 should be
    128 megs of 256 bit DDR.
    McG.

Video Games