Pocket2004_PC (again)

April 21, 2004 6:19:10 AM

Hello everybody, this is me again. Well, in the first place I'd like to
apologize for all the trouble. I never hade any idea that people would feel
uncomfortable with messages written in uppercase but I still think that's
not nice to make funny comments to other people without trying to understand
their problems first.
Anyway, I was surprised to see the response my post received and I
appreciate the help I've been offered so, here we go:

As I said, I've sent my pda to Tech. Support people at the HP headquarters
to fix the cursor above the fingerprint reader(it got stuck on the left).
The guy I spoke with said they would probably have to hard reset de unit and
that I should make a back up of my stuff, fine! When it came back with the
cursor problem fixed, I tried synchronizing. That's when this weird message
box comes out talking about some upgrade whatever that had occurred. Ok,
next, on my desktop screen pops up this icon that says "Pocket2004_PC my
documents", so now I have two folders on my screen one says 2003 and the
other says 2004. Fine, next thing I put my notes,excel and world files back
and everything... all good. Then I try going on line, nothing! the message
says "cannot connect for unknown reason". That's when my question comes up,
what can I do? Is my internet connection settings wrong? I don't know what's
going on cause my settings were the same as before I sent my unit to the HP
people.
Now here follows the information on my device:
>>>I have a desktop icon that says "Pocket2004_PC my documents"
when I click on it, the "details" box at the bottom left says:
"Pocket2004_PC my documents: file folder
date modified: Thursday, March, 11 2004, 1"20 am"
now that date is within the time my device was with HP people.
>>>the active sync screen says: Pocket2004_PC.
>>>going to the "version;device ID;copyrights" screen at settings says:
version:
Microsoft pocket pc
version 4.20.1081 (build 13100)
1996-2003 Microsoft corporation.
device ID:
Pocket2004_PC.
>>> on the "assets viewer" at settings says:"Pocket2004_PC" right on the
top.
following the version description on the assets viewer says:
-Product Revision level 4.0
-ROM date: 06/14/03
-ROM Revision: 1.00.10 CE 4.2
-OS version: Windows CE 4.2.

That's all the information I can get. Hope it can be of any use and thanks
for helping.

Cheers.

More about : pocket2004

Anonymous
April 21, 2004 12:45:37 PM

OK, here we go:

First of all, by your description it is pretty clear to me that your
operating system is Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC, and the build as I
recall is the original one provided with the iPAQ 5550. Also, by your
description its clear that the name they gave to your device is
Pocket2004_PC, but it is just an ID that you can easily change. You said
that you have also a fingerprint reader, so, I can guess that you're using
or an iPAQ 555x or a 545x.

If you're using the first one, I would first recommend you to download from
the HP web site the new ROM version (1.10.10) that will update your Windows
Mobile to the build 14053 and include new drivers for almost everything. You
can go to www.hp.com and get the updated ROM from their support area.

Installing the new ROM will erase all your data and you will have to
reinstall all your programs, but this update is worth it. You will also have
to delete the partnership on ActiveSync and create a new one the first time
you synchronize the device after installing the new software.

To change the name of the device tap Start --> Settings --> System -->
About --> Device ID and in the Device Name text box put the name you like
more. It will probably be set to Pocket_PC, which is the default.

About your network, I would ask you to provide me more information about
network type, if wireless tell me if you're using WEP keys, MAC address
block on the access point and every other information you can give me.

Cheers,
Paulo

<victoralucard@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hello everybody, this is me again. Well, in the first place I'd like to
> apologize for all the trouble. I never hade any idea that people would
feel
> uncomfortable with messages written in uppercase but I still think that's
> not nice to make funny comments to other people without trying to
understand
> their problems first.
> Anyway, I was surprised to see the response my post received and I
> appreciate the help I've been offered so, here we go:
>
> As I said, I've sent my pda to Tech. Support people at the HP headquarters
> to fix the cursor above the fingerprint reader(it got stuck on the left).
> The guy I spoke with said they would probably have to hard reset de unit
and
> that I should make a back up of my stuff, fine! When it came back with the
> cursor problem fixed, I tried synchronizing. That's when this weird
message
> box comes out talking about some upgrade whatever that had occurred. Ok,
> next, on my desktop screen pops up this icon that says "Pocket2004_PC my
> documents", so now I have two folders on my screen one says 2003 and the
> other says 2004. Fine, next thing I put my notes,excel and world files
back
> and everything... all good. Then I try going on line, nothing! the message
> says "cannot connect for unknown reason". That's when my question comes
up,
> what can I do? Is my internet connection settings wrong? I don't know
what's
> going on cause my settings were the same as before I sent my unit to the
HP
> people.
> Now here follows the information on my device:
> when I click on it, the "details" box at the bottom left says:
> "Pocket2004_PC my documents: file folder
> date modified: Thursday, March, 11 2004, 1"20 am"
> now that date is within the time my device was with HP people.
> version:
> Microsoft pocket pc
> version 4.20.1081 (build 13100)
> 1996-2003 Microsoft corporation.
> device ID:
> Pocket2004_PC.
> top.
> following the version description on the assets viewer says:
> -Product Revision level 4.0
> -ROM date: 06/14/03
> -ROM Revision: 1.00.10 CE 4.2
> -OS version: Windows CE 4.2.
>
> That's all the information I can get. Hope it can be of any use and thanks
> for helping.
>
> Cheers.

Anonymous
April 22, 2004 3:07:08 AM

And to follow up on that... if you do upgrade your ROM to the newer 1.10.10
with newer drivers...

Please do not restore your data from backup. It is not recomended that a
backup be restored on a device with an updated ROM as there may be changes
made to the registry.

--
Carlo Ma. Guerrero
Microsoft MVP, Mobile Devices
<victoralucard@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Hello everybody, this is me again. Well, in the first place I'd like to
> apologize for all the trouble. I never hade any idea that people would
feel
> uncomfortable with messages written in uppercase but I still think that's
> not nice to make funny comments to other people without trying to
understand
> their problems first.
> Anyway, I was surprised to see the response my post received and I
> appreciate the help I've been offered so, here we go:
>
> As I said, I've sent my pda to Tech. Support people at the HP headquarters
> to fix the cursor above the fingerprint reader(it got stuck on the left).
> The guy I spoke with said they would probably have to hard reset de unit
and
> that I should make a back up of my stuff, fine! When it came back with the
> cursor problem fixed, I tried synchronizing. That's when this weird
message
> box comes out talking about some upgrade whatever that had occurred. Ok,
> next, on my desktop screen pops up this icon that says "Pocket2004_PC my
> documents", so now I have two folders on my screen one says 2003 and the
> other says 2004. Fine, next thing I put my notes,excel and world files
back
> and everything... all good. Then I try going on line, nothing! the message
> says "cannot connect for unknown reason". That's when my question comes
up,
> what can I do? Is my internet connection settings wrong? I don't know
what's
> going on cause my settings were the same as before I sent my unit to the
HP
> people.
> Now here follows the information on my device:
> when I click on it, the "details" box at the bottom left says:
> "Pocket2004_PC my documents: file folder
> date modified: Thursday, March, 11 2004, 1"20 am"
> now that date is within the time my device was with HP people.
> version:
> Microsoft pocket pc
> version 4.20.1081 (build 13100)
> 1996-2003 Microsoft corporation.
> device ID:
> Pocket2004_PC.
> top.
> following the version description on the assets viewer says:
> -Product Revision level 4.0
> -ROM date: 06/14/03
> -ROM Revision: 1.00.10 CE 4.2
> -OS version: Windows CE 4.2.
>
> That's all the information I can get. Hope it can be of any use and thanks
> for helping.
>
> Cheers.

April 22, 2004 8:48:39 AM

I have a HP H2210 with Pocket PC 2003.
Basically all the information you mention is exactly the
same apart from Device id which on mine is Chris_iPAQ.
This is because I changed it to that from Pocket_PC (The
default).

Therefore someone has changed your device id and that's
all.

Hope this answers your question.
Anonymous
July 24, 2004 7:59:09 AM

If you were to chage the Device ID in the Settings for your PDA then this
will change the name of the 'my documents' folder on your desktop. The my
documents folder gets its name from the device ID and so does Activesync.
Try changing this to something else and see what happens.

Does this help?

Insp G

!