Permission to remove USB flash drive

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

Hi all,

I've get a lab with 6 XP SP2 machines that are members of an AD domain.
When user without admin rights (just about everybody) trys to use the
"Remove hardware safely" function before unplugging a USB jump drive,
they get a message that they don't have permissions to do so. I'd like
to make a Group Policy change so they can follow the recommended
procedure to remove their USB drives but I can't find the right setting.
Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Mark
1 answer Last reply
More about permission remove flash drive
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Please visit the experts in the Group Policy newsgroup

    How do I prevent the use of USB Storage Devices in Windows XP?
    http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBO/tip7000/rh7093.htm

    Also see: "Controlling block storage devices on USB buses"
    in the following article.

    Changes to Functionality in Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/sp2otech.mspx#ECAA

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

    "Mark Warbeck" wrote:

    | Hi all,
    |
    | I've get a lab with 6 XP SP2 machines that are members of an AD domain.
    | When user without admin rights (just about everybody) trys to use the
    | "Remove hardware safely" function before unplugging a USB jump drive,
    | they get a message that they don't have permissions to do so. I'd like
    | to make a Group Policy change so they can follow the recommended
    | procedure to remove their USB drives but I can't find the right setting.
    | Can anyone help?
    |
    | Thanks,
    | Mark

Hardware Microsoft Windows XP