W-Buffer?? Problem in Morrowind

Should I enable W-Buffer for Radeon9600? Does this help in any way?
Problem:
I play mostly Morrowind and Sacred/Nwn games on this pc. In morrowind, I can
see incorrect shadows. If a person is standing on roof corner of a building
(in Balmora), his shadow is visible on outside of wall!! So you can see his
shadow while he is suppose to be hidden. Same goes for Doors, i can see
shadow of people ON the door, while person is behind the door.
12 answers Last reply
More about buffer problem morrowind

    "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
    > Should I enable W-Buffer for Radeon9600? Does this help in any way?
    > Problem:
    > I play mostly Morrowind and Sacred/Nwn games on this pc. In morrowind, I
    can
    > see incorrect shadows. If a person is standing on roof corner of a
    building
    > (in Balmora), his shadow is visible on outside of wall!! So you can see
    his
    > shadow while he is suppose to be hidden. Same goes for Doors, i can see
    > shadow of people ON the door, while person is behind the door.

    Hmmm.... it seems that you could have simply enabled the function and looked
    at the screen to answer your own question. If things are as bad as you
    suggest it isn't as though there's going to be a subtle change -- the
    shadows will either be right or they won't.
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
    > Should I enable W-Buffer for Radeon9600? Does this help in any way?
    > Problem:
    > I play mostly Morrowind and Sacred/Nwn games on this pc. In morrowind, I
    can
    > see incorrect shadows. If a person is standing on roof corner of a
    building
    > (in Balmora), his shadow is visible on outside of wall!! So you can see
    his
    > shadow while he is suppose to be hidden. Same goes for Doors, i can see
    > shadow of people ON the door, while person is behind the door.

    Hm, I'm not sure how to fix that, as I seem to have that problem as well.

    Glzmo wrote:
    > "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
    >> Should I enable W-Buffer for Radeon9600? Does this help in any way?
    >> Problem:
    >> I play mostly Morrowind and Sacred/Nwn games on this pc. In
    >> morrowind, I can see incorrect shadows. If a person is standing on
    >> roof corner of a building (in Balmora), his shadow is visible on
    >> outside of wall!! So you can see his shadow while he is suppose to
    >> be hidden. Same goes for Doors, i can see shadow of people ON the
    >> door, while person is behind the door.
    >
    > Hm, I'm not sure how to fix that, as I seem to have that problem as
    > well.

    Ok, the shadows are poorly implemented in Morrowind. It is a bug with
    the game, not your drivers or video cards. So relax on that one. I've
    been playing Morrowind now for nearly two years, and BethSoft hasn't
    fixed the shadows yet. I just turn them off in the first options
    screen, but DO turn on pixel shaders for a treat with the water.
    Turning off shadows also helps speed things up a bit in game. You might
    like that part.
    McG.

    I think you're right. I tried with w-buffer, no gain. I however think the
    game speed up a notch with that enabled. However i found 1 door (a cavern
    near pelgaid) where rocks were visible through door.. Maybe it was suppose
    to be like that, I however did not enter it being a level 5 char.. hate to
    reload.. too scary :)

    OT: (game related)

    I must say if there is *any* game with a HUGE replay value, man it's this
    one! Name 1 game that can let you enjoy a TOTALLY different game experience
    every time you replay with different character..

    I played this game first in 2001 (i think) when it was released. At that
    time my pc could not handle it so it ran poorly. I still played about 10-15
    days daily. I had a totally sneaky character that time.
    Then last year I played it on my new P4 laptop with m9000 card. It ran
    smooth. I played with a *rather unbalanced* character.. combining
    long-blade, sneak, block, unarmoured, hand-to-hand and alteration as main
    skills.. Well that did not go very far.
    Now this my third time I came back to play this game.. it's just amazing. I
    now have good and FAST battle oriented nord, class named Samurai.. So it's
    working very well.

    I intend to play this game atleast 1 more time in future, using a mage or
    so.

    > Glzmo wrote:
    > > "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
    > >> Should I enable W-Buffer for Radeon9600? Does this help in any way?
    > >> Problem:
    > >> I play mostly Morrowind and Sacred/Nwn games on this pc. In
    > >> morrowind, I can see incorrect shadows. If a person is standing on
    > >> roof corner of a building (in Balmora), his shadow is visible on
    > >> outside of wall!! So you can see his shadow while he is suppose to
    > >> be hidden. Same goes for Doors, i can see shadow of people ON the
    > >> door, while person is behind the door.
    > >
    > > Hm, I'm not sure how to fix that, as I seem to have that problem as
    > > well.
    >
    > Ok, the shadows are poorly implemented in Morrowind. It is a bug with
    > the game, not your drivers or video cards. So relax on that one. I've
    > been playing Morrowind now for nearly two years, and BethSoft hasn't
    > fixed the shadows yet. I just turn them off in the first options
    > screen, but DO turn on pixel shaders for a treat with the water.
    > Turning off shadows also helps speed things up a bit in game. You might
    > like that part.
    > McG.

    > Glzmo wrote:
    > Ok, the shadows are poorly implemented in Morrowind. It is a bug with
    > the game, not your drivers or video cards. So relax on that one. I've
    > been playing Morrowind now for nearly two years, and BethSoft hasn't
    > fixed the shadows yet. I just turn them off in the first options
    > screen, but DO turn on pixel shaders for a treat with the water.
    > Turning off shadows also helps speed things up a bit in game. You might
    > like that part.
    > McG.

    Do you have any of exp pack for morrowind? If so, which one is good and
    exciting?

    Do they give you a new campaign, (like in nwn, diablo2) or integrate with
    the existing gameplay?

    yeah, theres two. tribunal and Bloodmoon, both very good if you like the original. Not so much new
    campaigns as addons to the existing world - the original game stays the same (and you can run your
    existing quest along with the new storylines) but you get a new city or land mass to explore. Its
    cool because you can switch between adventures simply by traveling to the last story - the whole
    game world stays self consistent, which is really neat.

    Also some (free) graphic mods that replace the faces for something much more realistic, and some
    high rez texture packs. Both of them make a massive difference to the visual look of the game.
    Theres a few rebalancing mods around (the game can get too easy hwn you get a powerfull character)
    that are well worth a look, as well as some mods that add new creatures and characters

    Some community total conversions around as well, but havent looked into them, still finishing the
    Bethseda ones :)

    "Sham B" <shamb@easynet.co.ukNOSP> wrote in message
    > yeah, theres two. tribunal and Bloodmoon, both very good if you like the
    original. Not so much new
    > campaigns as addons to the existing world - the original game stays the
    same (and you can run your
    > existing quest along with the new storylines) but you get a new city or
    land mass to explore. Its
    > cool because you can switch between adventures simply by traveling to the
    last story - the whole
    > game world stays self consistent, which is really neat.

    Thanks. Which one do you recommend for a beginner? I'm not very good at this
    game yet, as have not finished the blade or any guild quest yet :(

    > Also some (free) graphic mods that replace the faces for something much
    more realistic, and some
    > high rez texture packs. Both of them make a massive difference to the
    visual look of the game.
    > Theres a few rebalancing mods around (the game can get too easy hwn you
    get a powerfull character)
    > that are well worth a look, as well as some mods that add new creatures
    and characters
    I got new faces for almost all humanoid races (except khajit, orc). They are
    just great!! Game look much new with them, not near anything 3 years old or
    so.
    High rez textures? Have to look for them now :)

    > Some community total conversions around as well, but havent looked into
    them, still finishing the
    > Bethseda ones :)

    > Thanks. Which one do you recommend for a beginner? I'm not very good
    > at this game yet, as have not finished the blade or any guild quest
    > yet :(

    Both of them assume that you have a fairly good character (the game depends on the abilities of your
    character as much as it does on yours, which is why some people just dont 'get it' and see the
    battles as nothing more than sword waving... its actually resolving each hit based on the stats,
    armor etc). guess youve got to have played the original game for at least a couple of weeks before
    then.

    Its not all bad news though, theres a game of the year edition out with both expansions, just had a
    look and here it is if your interested:
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000CNUUP/qid%3D1086794182/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/002-7465571-5796809

    Just to keep it (slightly) on topic, theres also the also the Morrowind FPS optimizer, which allows
    you to use N-patch (aka trueform). Looks great if your setup can handle it (you need cat 3.8 or
    higher and a good spec machine). With all the addons and a bit of AA and trueform, it still looks
    better than a lot of games out there now :)

    you should drop into alt.games.morrowind or alt.games.elder-scrolls,
    you'd be right at home there :)
    McG.

    AseStar wrote:
    >> Glzmo wrote:
    >> Ok, the shadows are poorly implemented in Morrowind. It is a bug
    >> with the game, not your drivers or video cards. So relax on that
    >> one. I've been playing Morrowind now for nearly two years, and
    >> BethSoft hasn't fixed the shadows yet. I just turn them off in the
    >> first options screen, but DO turn on pixel shaders for a treat with
    >> the water. Turning off shadows also helps speed things up a bit in
    >> game. You might like that part.
    >> McG.
    >
    > Do you have any of exp pack for morrowind? If so, which one is good
    > and exciting?
    >
    > Do they give you a new campaign, (like in nwn, diablo2) or integrate
    > with the existing gameplay?

    Tribunal and Bloodmoon. Add Morrowind itself, and you have the GOTY
    edition. I have this. They sorta integrate, but also add their own
    questlines.
    McG.

    > you should drop into alt.games.morrowind or alt.games.elder-scrolls,
    > you'd be right at home there :)
    > McG.

    Thanks for letting me know about that.. I'll look at them now :)

    The W (pronounced "omega")-buffer is a floating-point Z-buffer that allows
    for more precision to be used up close and less precision for faraway
    objects. It requires less resources than a regular 32-bit Z-buffer and
    theoretically gives better image quality, so use it if it's an available
    option.

    "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote in message
    > Should I enable W-Buffer for Radeon9600? Does this help in any way?
    > Problem:
    > I play mostly Morrowind and Sacred/Nwn games on this pc. In morrowind, I
    can
    > see incorrect shadows. If a person is standing on roof corner of a
    building
    > (in Balmora), his shadow is visible on outside of wall!! So you can see
    his
    > shadow while he is suppose to be hidden. Same goes for Doors, i can see
    > shadow of people ON the door, while person is behind the door.

Radeon ATI Graphics