Encrypting folders under XP Home

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

I've recently purchased a notebook with XP Home. I'd like to encrypt some
folders, but the box where I could tick encryption (right-click on folder,
properties, advanced) is greyed out. Does anybody know, do I have to install
some additional module from a CD or download a certificate or something ?

Thanks for any help
John

Only Windows XP Professional supports file encryption.
Windows XP Home Edition does not.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"John" wrote:

| I've recently purchased a notebook with XP Home. I'd like to encrypt some
| folders, but the box where I could tick encryption (right-click on folder,
| properties, advanced) is greyed out. Does anybody know, do I have to install
| some additional module from a CD or download a certificate or something ?
|
| Thanks for any help
| John

Yes, the module is called "Retail Upgrade to WinXP Pro". It runs about 199
US dollars suggested, but I've seen it as low as 159.

--
Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your service!

> I've recently purchased a notebook with XP Home. I'd like to encrypt some
> folders, but the box where I could tick encryption (right-click on folder,
> properties, advanced) is greyed out. Does anybody know, do I have to
install
> some additional module from a CD or download a certificate or something ?
>
> Thanks for any help
> John

TRENDING THREADS