Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

will upgrading to ddr memory increase my fps ?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 8, 2004 7:30:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Ive got a Radeon 9800pro installed on an old motherboard which supports
133mhz sdram and 266mhz ddr memory.
Will I get a noticeable increase in fps in games (Americas Army) if i change
from sdram to ddr ?

thank you :) 
June 8, 2004 7:30:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Paul -M-" <paulmccre@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ex9xc.34109$wd7.8121@front-1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>
> Ive got a Radeon 9800pro installed on an old motherboard which supports
> 133mhz sdram and 266mhz ddr memory.
> Will I get a noticeable increase in fps in games (Americas Army) if i
change
> from sdram to ddr ?
>

There'll probably be an increase, but not much. What processor and board is
it? A high powered video card on an old m/b and CPU typically results in low
performance. Although not in the same league as your 9800 Pro, I upgraded to
a Radeon 8500 128Mb from a Geforce 2 GTS Pro in a 1.13Ghz Tualatin system
with an Abit board with 512Mb PC/133 SDRAM. The performance increase was not
much....up only about 10% on benchmarks. I upgraded the CPU/ m/b and RAM to
a Barton 3200/ Dual Cannel 1Gig PC/3200 and the performance of the video
literally doubled. 6200 to 12,000 in 3DMark01.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 8, 2004 8:20:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Paul -M-" <paulmccre@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ex9xc.34109$wd7.8121@front-1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

" Will I get a noticeable increase in fps in games (Americas Army) if i
change from sdram to ddr ? "


You will get some increase, but it all depends what you consider
'noticeable'. If you post your system specs, then people can advise where
you might gain better advantages elsewhere. If you know your futuremark
scores, then people can advise if things are currently running properly too.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 8, 2004 7:33:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Lex nb790 mainboard (4X AGP)
AMD 2200
512mb pc 133 sdram
256mb Radeon 9800pro
120 gb hdd

3dmark 2003 score (or lack of), now please dont snigger ;)  5042

I bought this card as a 'special treat' to replace an ageing mx440 and to
impove my fps in Americas Army where fps is crucial.

I think the only option now is for an upgrade but I have to do this within a
budget of about £200.

Im thinking of popping my processor and 512mb of ddr400 into this
motherboard http://www.asrock.com/product/product_k7s8xe+.htm while i wait
on the AMD 3200 dropping below £100.

Is my reasoning sound here or am I letting myself in for more dissapointment
?

Thans :) 
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 8, 2004 7:48:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Lex BN790 mainboard
512mb pc133 sdram
AMD 2200+ processor
120gb hdd
256mb radeon 9800pro

My PcMark2003 score was 5042.

Im thinking of a new motherboard, processor and memory in order to play my
game at the maximum fps I can.
June 8, 2004 7:48:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Paul -M-" <paulmccre@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:xkkxc.37499$B63.32560@doctor.cableinet.net...
>
> Lex BN790 mainboard
> 512mb pc133 sdram
> AMD 2200+ processor
> 120gb hdd
> 256mb radeon 9800pro
>
> My PcMark2003 score was 5042.
>
> Im thinking of a new motherboard, processor and memory in order to play my
> game at the maximum fps I can.
>

An XP2200+ is not overly slow....it's fairly decent. The mainboard leaves
something to be desired....you'd gain a lot more my going to an Nforce2 dual
channel board.....a bit more of an undertaking but more gain than just going
to DDR. I get 2500 on a good day with 3DMark03 with the new setup. So your
5042 with your current setup isn't bad. New m/b and dual channel DDR should
bring it up to 6500+ with the same processor.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 8, 2004 8:40:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Paul -M- wrote:

> Ive got a Radeon 9800pro installed on an old motherboard which supports
> 133mhz sdram and 266mhz ddr memory.
> Will I get a noticeable increase in fps in games (Americas Army) if i change
> from sdram to ddr ?
>
> thank you :) 
>

1) That's not a bad score at all. You should rather satisfied with that.

2) No, DDR RAM won't make a *substantial* difference. You might get a
few hundred extra 3Dmarks, or about 5-10 extra FPS in *some* games.
Probably not enough to be worth the hassle of upgrading your MB and
paying for more ram.

--
cK
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 8, 2004 10:50:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"Paul -M-" <paulmccre@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:xkkxc.37499$B63.32560@doctor.cableinet.net...

" Im thinking of a new motherboard, processor and memory in order to play
my game at the maximum fps I can. "


I found your mobo spec at http://snipurl.com/6xnd , and if you were to keep
said mobo, you could upgrade to 512MB DDR and a 266FSB Athlon XP 2400+.
This upgrade would cost you next to nothing, but the gains would be somewhat
dismal. The 266FSB Athlon XP 2600+ is a possibility, but it comes at a
premium. Either way, maximizing your mobo potential can only give a minimal
performance increase.

For £200 your upgrade potential is pretty good. If you are prepared to sell
your mobo, CPU and SDRAM seperately at www.ebay.co.uk , then you could get
£60 to £80. SDRAM has always held its value on eBay, and if you detail the
markings to get the most interest, then you could get £50 for it. A new
Athlon XP 2200+ can be had for about £35, so you could expect £20 to £25 for
it. The motherboard might not pick up too much interest, particularly as it
is a lesser-known model.

With £200 (plus your eBay sales) you could get a pretty good setup. If you
stayed with the Athlon XP, you should go for a 400FSB Nforce2 board. For
example:

- Athlon XP 3200+ (£132.72) http://snipurl.com/6xqe
- Abit AN7 (£69.27) http://snipurl.com/6xqt
- Kingston 512MB DDR400 (£81.08) http://snipurl.com/6xog

If you have knowledge of overclocking, then a 2500+ could do the job of a
3200+ for you. If you wanted maximum overclocking potential, then a DFI
LanParty NFII Ultra-B, 2x256MB PC3500 RAM and an Athlon XP Mobile might be
the most savage way to obtain those high benchmarks you're after.

If you wanted to secure resale value, you could go for a socket 754 Athlon
64 setup. This gives upgrade scope to an Athlon 64 3700+, which looks like
being the last socket 754 CPU. For example:

- Athlon 64 2800+ (£122.02) http://snipurl.com/6xo7
- MSI K8T Neo FIS2R (£65.74) http://snipurl.com/6xo3
- Kingston 512MB DDR400 (£81.08) http://snipurl.com/6xog
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 9, 2004 12:53:06 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:38:01 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
wrote:

>
>"Paul -M-" <paulmccre@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:xkkxc.37499$B63.32560@doctor.cableinet.net...
>>
>> Lex BN790 mainboard
>> 512mb pc133 sdram
>> AMD 2200+ processor
>> 120gb hdd
>> 256mb radeon 9800pro
>>
>> My PcMark2003 score was 5042.
>>
>> Im thinking of a new motherboard, processor and memory in order to play my
>> game at the maximum fps I can.
>>
>
>An XP2200+ is not overly slow....it's fairly decent. The mainboard leaves
>something to be desired....you'd gain a lot more my going to an Nforce2 dual
>channel board.....a bit more of an undertaking but more gain than just going
>to DDR. I get 2500 on a good day with 3DMark03 with the new setup. So your
>5042 with your current setup isn't bad. New m/b and dual channel DDR should
>bring it up to 6500+ with the same processor.
>

So your telling us that dual channel is the key to perform a gain
of1000 point in 3dmark03 hmm

i got a 2600xp 333 whit one gigs of ddr 333mgh whit an nforce 2 board
combined to a 9800pro 128 ati Video card
and i do get 5500point in that kind of sinthetic benchmark.

if i whant to get a better score i just have to get a dc-ddr board ?
Did you say that by experience or what?
June 9, 2004 6:30:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

"DreamMaker" <onesuponatime@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
news:igncc0h1nt4snroqf43jvt2hn7hoeao8mg@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 15:38:01 GMT, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com>
> wrote:
>
> >
> >"Paul -M-" <paulmccre@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >news:xkkxc.37499$B63.32560@doctor.cableinet.net...
> >>
> >> Lex BN790 mainboard
> >> 512mb pc133 sdram
> >> AMD 2200+ processor
> >> 120gb hdd
> >> 256mb radeon 9800pro
> >>
> >> My PcMark2003 score was 5042.
> >>
> >> Im thinking of a new motherboard, processor and memory in order to play
my
> >> game at the maximum fps I can.
> >>
> >
> >An XP2200+ is not overly slow....it's fairly decent. The mainboard leaves
> >something to be desired....you'd gain a lot more my going to an Nforce2
dual
> >channel board.....a bit more of an undertaking but more gain than just
going
> >to DDR. I get 2500 on a good day with 3DMark03 with the new setup. So
your
> >5042 with your current setup isn't bad. New m/b and dual channel DDR
should
> >bring it up to 6500+ with the same processor.
> >
>
> So your telling us that dual channel is the key to perform a gain
> of1000 point in 3dmark03 hmm
>
> i got a 2600xp 333 whit one gigs of ddr 333mgh whit an nforce 2 board
> combined to a 9800pro 128 ati Video card
> and i do get 5500point in that kind of sinthetic benchmark.
>
> if i whant to get a better score i just have to get a dc-ddr board ?
> Did you say that by experience or what?

Going from a single 512Mb PC3200 single channel to 2 x 512 Mb dual channel
on my Barton 3200 / Radeon 8500 system took my '03 score up 775 points.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 9, 2004 11:11:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Paul -M- wrote:
> Lex nb790 mainboard (4X AGP)
> AMD 2200
> 512mb pc 133 sdram
> 256mb Radeon 9800pro
> 120 gb hdd
>
> 3dmark 2003 score (or lack of), now please dont snigger ;)  5042
>


As a comparison I have a XP2100+, 512meg DDR400 and 128 meg R9800P and I get
5500 marks. The increase is not going to be as vivid as you might think.
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 9, 2004 11:13:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

Augustus wrote:
> "Paul -M-" <paulmccre@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:xkkxc.37499$B63.32560@doctor.cableinet.net...
>>
>> Lex BN790 mainboard
>> 512mb pc133 sdram
>> AMD 2200+ processor
>> 120gb hdd
>> 256mb radeon 9800pro
>>
>> My PcMark2003 score was 5042.
>>
>> Im thinking of a new motherboard, processor and memory in order to
>> play my game at the maximum fps I can.
>>
>
> An XP2200+ is not overly slow....it's fairly decent. The mainboard
> leaves something to be desired....you'd gain a lot more my going to
> an Nforce2 dual channel board.....a bit more of an undertaking but
> more gain than just going to DDR. I get 2500 on a good day with
> 3DMark03 with the new setup. So your 5042 with your current setup
> isn't bad. New m/b and dual channel DDR should bring it up to 6500+
> with the same processor.

I doubt it. I have a Nforce2 board with a 2100 on it and only do 5500. He
is going to need to replace that CPU if he wants over 6000
!