Lost Internet Explorer Security Settings from WinXP SP2

a b 8 Security
January 21, 2005 9:10:28 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

To All:

In September 2004, after installing WinXP SP2 I noticed the following
DEFAULT security behavior in IE.

1) When downloading an audio or video file, I was prompted to either
open or save the file. The prompt window had the new little security
center icon on it and a warning about opening/downloading files.

2) When a site (including Windows Update) wanted to use ActiveX, I was
prompted. The window was the "old stand ActiveX prompt" window that I
have seen for several years.

Last night, I was surprised to see that these 2 security features are
NOT working now and the following now occurs:

1) When downloading an audio or video file, I am NOT prompted and
instead the file automatically starts to download to be opened in the
default audio/video application. The prompt window does NOT had the new
little security center icon on it and a warning about
opening/downloading files.

2) When a site (including Windows Update) wanted to use ActiveX, I am
NOT prompted.

I ran full scans with Norton AV , Ad-aware and Spybot S&D all of which
were completely clean. I set my Internet Options -> Security to Medium
DEFAULT. I still have the problem. I am also running SpywareBlaster
which I know changes some of the settings in IE.

Since I mainly use an alternative web browser and I do NOT use IE very
much I do not know when these 2 changes occurred. Since September, I
can remember that I have upgraded software including my anti-virus,
firewall, spam filter (all separate products), text editor and Winamp.

So the 2 questions are:

1) How did this happen?

2) How do I fix this so that A) I am prompted when a site wants to use
ActiveX and B) I am prompted with when downloading audio or video files.

Thank you,

Steve
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 26, 2005 1:32:15 AM

Steve H <aymes.srh@netcast.com> wrote:

>1) When downloading an audio or video file, I am NOT prompted and
>instead the file automatically starts to download to be opened in the
>default audio/video application. The prompt window does NOT had the new
>little security center icon on it and a warning about
>opening/downloading files.

This may help: "Not Prompted to Specify Download Folder for File"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=177976). Further help with the IE
is available from

--
(tm)