How do I add a Domain user account to XP Local Admins

January 21, 2005 10:37:28 PM

I cannot add a domain (e.g. Domain\UserName) to my local Administrators.

I have a Windows 2003 Server configured as my domain controller.

I have several XP Professional machines connected via a LinkSys router.
These computers have been successfully joined to the domain.

I want to add domain accounts to the local Administrators groups. When I go
to My Computer | Manage | Local Users and Groups and try to add a
Domain\User to the Administrators, my Domain is not one of the Locations
(i.e. domains) that I can access. The only Location is the local computer.

How do I access domain accounts, which I could do in Windows 2000?

Thanks.
Anonymous
January 22, 2005 12:13:41 AM

"Robert Jarrett" <Robert.T.Jarrett@US.Army.mil> wrote in message
news:o CUOCLCAFHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I cannot add a domain (e.g. Domain\UserName) to my local Administrators.
>
> I have a Windows 2003 Server configured as my domain controller.
>
> I have several XP Professional machines connected via a LinkSys router.
> These computers have been successfully joined to the domain.
>
> I want to add domain accounts to the local Administrators groups. When I
> go to My Computer | Manage | Local Users and Groups and try to add a
> Domain\User to the Administrators, my Domain is not one of the Locations
> (i.e. domains) that I can access. The only Location is the local
> computer.
>
> How do I access domain accounts, which I could do in Windows 2000?
>
> Thanks.

I saw your other post above, but I'll add this.

I found this on Google:
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Microsoft_Ne...

A discussion of what seems to be the same issue (right down to the use of a
Linksys router.) It looks like it came down to improperly configured DNS on
the server and/or client, or the DHCP service (which I assume you are
running off the router) not doing everything that the Windows server one
would do. Maybe look into that...

Also (very general):
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/dns/tshoot/dns_tsh...
--
Colin Nash
Microsoft MVP

Can you manage these machines from the domain controller itself? (I mean to
manage this machines remotly). Try to, if it fails you should check your DNS
setting of the joined machines.

!