Picked up a 9800 pro today

I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better decision
in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass. tired of subpar 5900
treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I wanted image quality and
antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted
greatest 9800 is that .

"wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
decision
> in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass. tired of subpar
5900
> treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I wanted image quality and
> antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure 5900 runs great but I
wanted
> greatest 9800 is that .

I definitely think you made the right decision getting the 9800 Pro over
the 5900. I would not touch a GeForce FX series video card of any sort.

I seen futuremark scores on my abit nf7-s and 9800 stands out as best on my
configuration.
"wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
decision
> in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass. tired of subpar
5900
> treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I wanted image quality and
> antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted
> greatest 9800 is that .

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

> I seen futuremark scores on my abit nf7-s and 9800 stands out as best on
my
> configuration.
> "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
> decision
> > in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass. tired of subpar
> 5900
> > treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I wanted image quality and
> > antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted
> > greatest 9800 is that .

Hopefully your skill in installing and configuring is better than your
written English.

You mean "anthismorphic" isn't a type of filtering?

and cumon...

" I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted greatest 9800 is that ."

That was my college thesis statement :)

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com

"Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote in message

> "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I seen futuremark scores on my abit nf7-s and 9800 stands out as best on
> my
> > configuration.
> > "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
> > decision
> > > in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass. tired of subpar
> > 5900
> > > treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I wanted image quality and
> > > antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure 5900 runs great but I
wanted
> > > greatest 9800 is that .
>
> Hopefully your skill in installing and configuring is better than your
> written English.

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You mean "anthismorphic" isn't a type of filtering?
>
> and cumon...
>
> " I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted greatest 9800 is that ."
>
> That was my college thesis statement :)

All your 9800 Pro are belong to us!

"wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
decision
> in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass. tired of subpar
5900
> treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I wanted image quality and
> antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted
> greatest 9800 is that .

The table has turned. The new Nvidia 6800 is fully DX9c compliant while the
new ATI X800 is just an overclocked ATI 9800XT thus only very aged DX9b
compliant. Both have list price $499 and Nvidia beats ATI on every
benchmark.

Also Nvidia 5900 is two generations old, why didn't you buy 5950 or 6800?

Andrew

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 05:59:46 GMT, "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com>
wrote:

>The table has turned. The new Nvidia 6800 is fully DX9c compliant while the
>new ATI X800 is just an overclocked ATI 9800XT thus only very aged DX9b
>compliant. Both have list price $499 and Nvidia beats ATI on every
>benchmark.

Every benchmark? I don't think so. Plus don't forget the cost most
people will have to beef up their PSU for the 6800.

Yea but I aint buying a 500 dollar card. I am only looking at the 5900 and
9800 pro. This is plenty of power for me. My price point is 100 to 175 I got
the pro for 155 great deal and 10 dollar ship its a ati not a water down
sapphire too.

"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message

> The table has turned. The new Nvidia 6800 is fully DX9c compliant
while the
> new ATI X800 is just an overclocked ATI 9800XT thus only very aged
DX9b
> compliant.

DirectX 9.0b is "aged"?

LOL, this reminds me of people who bought the GeForce3 and were boasting
about it's programmable Pixel and Vertex shaders. Well, by the time
games taking advantage of the architecture came out in any real
quanitity, better video cards made themselves available. Yeah, I do
agree implementing Pixel Shader 3.0 is a good idea, but how will the
6800 series cards stack up when any real quantity of games taking
advantage of Pixel Shader 3.0 come out?

> Both have list price $499 and Nvidia beats ATI on every
> benchmark.

Definitely not true from every report I've read on the web.

> Also Nvidia 5900 is two generations old, why didn't you buy 5950 or
6800?

Price I would think. The 9800 Pro is hovering around $200 U.S., and I
don't think you'll get the 5950 or 6800 cards at that level.

"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
> decision
> > in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass. tired of subpar
> 5900
> > treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I wanted image quality and
> > antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted
> > greatest 9800 is that .
> >

> The table has turned. The new Nvidia 6800 is fully DX9c compliant while
the
> new ATI X800 is just an overclocked ATI 9800XT thus only very aged DX9b
> compliant. Both have list price $499 and Nvidia beats ATI on every
> benchmark.

Except that the X800 beats R6800 in every game comparing best IQ, ie.highest
resolution, AA and AF in a given game?
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjExLDEw

/Henrik

LOL :) Good one. Haven't heard a "are belong to us" joke in while.

> "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > You mean "anthismorphic" isn't a type of filtering?
> >
> > and cumon...
> >
> > " I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted greatest 9800 is that ."
> >
> > That was my college thesis statement :)
>
> All your 9800 Pro are belong to us!

"Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

> The table has turned. The new Nvidia 6800 is fully DX9c compliant while
the
> new ATI X800 is just an overclocked ATI 9800XT thus only very aged DX9b
> compliant. Both have list price $499 and Nvidia beats ATI on every
> benchmark.

Except that the X800 beats R6800 in every game comparing best IQ, ie.highest
resolution, AA and AF in a given game?
http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjExLDEw

And besides, DX9b and c are not that different. Most of the new things are
the possibility of speed optimizations.

/Henrik

Expert

ROFL...spew. Brilliant retro statement.

RS

Augustus wrote:

> All your 9800 Pro are belong to us!

But what you are failing to realize is that with the Radeon X800 series,
what you see is what you get - it is basically just the Radeon 9800 on
steroids - the 6800Ultra, as traditionally with most of the Nvidia cards,
could have huge leaps in performance from future driver releases...so the
benchmark comparisons you are seeing are definitely pre-mature. It would not
be out of the ordinary to see increases in performance anywhere from 5-25%
simply from driver updates. Wait until the 6800U has a couple driver updates
and it *might* be a very different picture.

Also, the link listed below is by no means a be all end all for benchmarks,
I've seen numerous benchmarks that swing towards the 6800 U as well - right
now they are just about the same and it is doubtful that you will physically
notice huge differences between either the X800 XT or the 6800U, although I
have seen most reviews/previews claiming that ATI's image quality is a tad
better with the X800 XT vs. 6800U, again, wait until Nvidia releases some
updated drivers - everything that I've read claims that the 6800U still has
a lot of room for improvement, while the X800 is basically maxed out.

Don't get me wrong, I think both cards are great, and it's a good time to be
a gamer with either card - I personally will buy whichever one I can get my
hands on first -

NightSky 421 wrote:
> "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
>> decision in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass.
>> tired of subpar 5900 treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I
>> wanted image quality and antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure
>> 5900 runs great but I wanted greatest 9800 is that .
>>

> I definitely think you made the right decision getting the 9800 Pro
> over the 5900. I would not touch a GeForce FX series video card of
> any sort.

I did. And during the year that I ran it, Dracman and I ran some
quality tests, to wit, went some of the performance info. The 9800 Pro
Drac was running on a system of specs similar to mine did outperform the
FX5900. So finally I caved and picked up a 9800 Pro 128, swapped out
the vid cards and installed the Cat 4.5's and BANG. Gee, there IS a
difference. In D3D stuff, especially if there are lots of pixel shaders
and gobbs of textures, the 9800 Pro flat out stomps on the FX5900.
SO, my son got a early birthday present, the FX5900....but I felt so bad
about that, plus getting the ol GF4 Ti4600 back, I gave him a nice
ontime bday pressie. A nice new AMD XP 3200+ :) So he popped out his
XP2500+ (Barton) and dropped in the new one, he's happy now :) I'm
happy now.
SO...Now I want the X800XT PE !!!!! Come On With It! :)
McG.

Gman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <d%sxc.120$cS.35@edtnps89>, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote:

>"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> You mean "anthismorphic" isn't a type of filtering?
>>
>> and cumon...
>>
>> " I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted greatest 9800 is that ."
>>
>> That was my college thesis statement :)
>
>All your 9800 Pro are belong to us!

Send us up the bomb!!!!

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:27:22 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>NightSky 421 wrote:
>> "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>> I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
>>> decision in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass.
>>> tired of subpar 5900 treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I
>>> wanted image quality and antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure
>>> 5900 runs great but I wanted greatest 9800 is that .
>>>

>> I definitely think you made the right decision getting the 9800 Pro
>> over the 5900. I would not touch a GeForce FX series video card of
>> any sort.
>
>I did. And during the year that I ran it, Dracman and I ran some
>quality tests, to wit, went some of the performance info. The 9800 Pro
>Drac was running on a system of specs similar to mine did outperform the
>FX5900. So finally I caved and picked up a 9800 Pro 128, swapped out
>the vid cards and installed the Cat 4.5's and BANG. Gee, there IS a
>difference. In D3D stuff, especially if there are lots of pixel shaders
>and gobbs of textures, the 9800 Pro flat out stomps on the FX5900.
>SO, my son got a early birthday present, the FX5900....but I felt so bad
>about that, plus getting the ol GF4 Ti4600 back, I gave him a nice
>ontime bday pressie. A nice new AMD XP 3200+ :) So he popped out his
>XP2500+ (Barton) and dropped in the new one, he's happy now :) I'm
>happy now.
>SO...Now I want the X800XT PE !!!!! Come On With It! :)
>McG.

Does that mean your son'll get the 9800 Pro? Want to adopt me? I'm a
genuine bona fide certified orphan...

patrickp

patrickp wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:27:22 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> NightSky 421 wrote:
>>> "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> I definitely think you made the right decision getting the 9800 Pro
>>> over the 5900. I would not touch a GeForce FX series video card of
>>> any sort.
>>
>> I did. And during the year that I ran it, Dracman and I ran some
>> quality tests, to wit, went some of the performance info. The 9800
>> Pro Drac was running on a system of specs similar to mine did
>> outperform the FX5900. So finally I caved and picked up a 9800 Pro
>> 128, swapped out the vid cards and installed the Cat 4.5's and BANG.
>> Gee, there IS a difference. In D3D stuff, especially if there are
>> lots of pixel shaders and gobbs of textures, the 9800 Pro flat out
>> stomps on the FX5900.
>> SO, my son got a early birthday present, the FX5900....but I felt so
>> bad about that, plus getting the ol GF4 Ti4600 back, I gave him a
>> nice ontime bday pressie. A nice new AMD XP 3200+ :) So he popped
>> out his XP2500+ (Barton) and dropped in the new one, he's happy now
>> :) I'm happy now.
>> SO...Now I want the X800XT PE !!!!! Come On With It! :)
>> McG.
>>

> Does that mean your son'll get the 9800 Pro? Want to adopt me? I'm a
> genuine bona fide certified orphan...
>
> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

Now I feel bad, see, my Lady would be getting the 9800 Pro....
McG.

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:06:18 -0700, "fleshonbone"
<someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

>But what you are failing to realize is that with the Radeon X800 series,
>what you see is what you get - it is basically just the Radeon 9800 on
>steroids - the 6800Ultra, as traditionally with most of the Nvidia cards,
>could have huge leaps in performance from future driver releases...so the
>benchmark comparisons you are seeing are definitely pre-mature. It would not
>be out of the ordinary to see increases in performance anywhere from 5-25%
>simply from driver updates. Wait until the 6800U has a couple driver updates
>and it *might* be a very different picture.
>
>Also, the link listed below is by no means a be all end all for benchmarks,
>I've seen numerous benchmarks that swing towards the 6800 U as well - right
>now they are just about the same and it is doubtful that you will physically
>notice huge differences between either the X800 XT or the 6800U, although I
>have seen most reviews/previews claiming that ATI's image quality is a tad
>better with the X800 XT vs. 6800U, again, wait until Nvidia releases some
>updated drivers - everything that I've read claims that the 6800U still has
>a lot of room for improvement, while the X800 is basically maxed out.
>
>Don't get me wrong, I think both cards are great, and it's a good time to be
>a gamer with either card - I personally will buy whichever one I can get my
>hands on first -

Don't kid yourself, ATI blows away Nvidia at this point.

Pluvious

"fleshonbone" <someone@microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> But what you are failing to realize is that with the Radeon X800 series,
> what you see is what you get - it is basically just the Radeon 9800 on
> steroids - the 6800Ultra, as traditionally with most of the Nvidia cards,
> could have huge leaps in performance from future driver releases...so the
> benchmark comparisons you are seeing are definitely pre-mature. It would
not
> be out of the ordinary to see increases in performance anywhere from 5-25%
> simply from driver updates. Wait until the 6800U has a couple driver
updates
> and it *might* be a very different picture.
>
> Also, the link listed below is by no means a be all end all for
benchmarks,
> I've seen numerous benchmarks that swing towards the 6800 U as well -
right
> now they are just about the same and it is doubtful that you will
physically
> notice huge differences between either the X800 XT or the 6800U, although
> have seen most reviews/previews claiming that ATI's image quality is a tad
> better with the X800 XT vs. 6800U, again, wait until Nvidia releases some
> updated drivers - everything that I've read claims that the 6800U still
has
> a lot of room for improvement, while the X800 is basically maxed out.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I think both cards are great, and it's a good time to
be
> a gamer with either card - I personally will buy whichever one I can get
my
> hands on first -

Well, I'm sorry. Your comment sounds just as nVidia's comments have all too
often sounded: "We'll come back! Just You wait and see!."

But, honestly: It's been a while since nVidia could turn out the kind of
performance increase, they did with the early Detonator drivers.

And why is this, one might ask one self?
Well, couldn't it be because the competition has hardenened, so it's no
longer possible to launch a card with a built-in reserve, that one might put
to use later, when the opponents try to catch up ;-)

Honestly, I think that ATI has again struck the right balance here: Don't
make a card with excessive future-aimed features. Use what is needed here
and now, and make the fastest, and most economical chip for it.

Then, when the future arrives, make a new card ready to take it on :)

There has been discussion whether that extra feature* that nVidia has
implemented, makes the R6800 the superior card. (*Texture displacement.)
In a sense you of course can say that it does.

But the most reasonable argument I saw, stated this: The use of that
feature, first of all requires games that implement it. Secondly, if the use
of that feature slows the card down to a crawl, when actually used, of what
use is it then? :)

So what do you want?
A card that is fast, and has excellent image quality, here and now?
Or a card, that has a feature that might, or might not, be used in the
future, and which, if used, may proove useless?

I know what i would choose :)

/Henrik

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:32:19 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>patrickp wrote:
>> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:27:22 GMT, "McGrandpa"
>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I did. And during the year that I ran it, Dracman and I ran some
>>> quality tests, to wit, went some of the performance info. The 9800
>>> Pro Drac was running on a system of specs similar to mine did
>>> outperform the FX5900. So finally I caved and picked up a 9800 Pro
>>> 128, swapped out the vid cards and installed the Cat 4.5's and BANG.
>>> Gee, there IS a difference. In D3D stuff, especially if there are
>>> lots of pixel shaders and gobbs of textures, the 9800 Pro flat out
>>> stomps on the FX5900.
>>> SO, my son got a early birthday present, the FX5900....but I felt so
>>> bad about that, plus getting the ol GF4 Ti4600 back, I gave him a
>>> nice ontime bday pressie. A nice new AMD XP 3200+ :) So he popped
>>> out his XP2500+ (Barton) and dropped in the new one, he's happy now
>>> :) I'm happy now.
>>> SO...Now I want the X800XT PE !!!!! Come On With It! :)
>>> McG.
>>>

>> Does that mean your son'll get the 9800 Pro? Want to adopt me? I'm a
>> genuine bona fide certified orphan...
>>
>> patrickp
>>
>> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
>
>Now I feel bad, see, my Lady would be getting the 9800 Pro....
>McG.

No, no - marriage is _not_ what I was proposing, McG! Besides
wouldn't that be sort of... bigamous?

patrickp

patrickp wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:32:19 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> patrickp wrote:

>>> Does that mean your son'll get the 9800 Pro? Want to adopt me?
>>> I'm a genuine bona fide certified orphan...
>>>
>>> patrickp
>>>
>>> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
>>
>> Now I feel bad, see, my Lady would be getting the 9800 Pro....
>> McG.
>>

> No, no - marriage is _not_ what I was proposing, McG! Besides
> wouldn't that be sort of... bigamous?

Well, I'm not married ;)
McG.

> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:17:55 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>patrickp wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:32:19 GMT, "McGrandpa"
>> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Now I feel bad, see, my Lady would be getting the 9800 Pro....
>>> McG.
>>>

>> No, no - marriage is _not_ what I was proposing, McG! Besides
>> wouldn't that be sort of... bigamous?
>
>Well, I'm not married ;)
>McG.
>

>> patrickp
>>
>> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

Tsk! And you're a McGrandpa? ;-)))

patrickp

patrickp wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:17:55 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> patrickp wrote:

>>> No, no - marriage is _not_ what I was proposing, McG! Besides
>>> wouldn't that be sort of... bigamous?
>>
>> Well, I'm not married ;)
>> McG.
>>

>>> patrickp
>>>
>>> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
>>

> Tsk! And you're a McGrandpa? ;-)))

Yep :) Been that-a-way twice. Got 4 kids, 4.9 grandkids. The 5th is
due any day now.
McG.