Picked up a 9800 pro today

I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better decision
in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass. tired of subpar 5900
treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I wanted image quality and
antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted
greatest 9800 is that .
25 answers Last reply
More about picked 9800 today

    "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
    decision
    > in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass. tired of subpar
    5900
    > treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I wanted image quality and
    > antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure 5900 runs great but I
    wanted
    > greatest 9800 is that .

    I definitely think you made the right decision getting the 9800 Pro over
    the 5900. I would not touch a GeForce FX series video card of any sort.

    I seen futuremark scores on my abit nf7-s and 9800 stands out as best on my
    configuration.

    > I seen futuremark scores on my abit nf7-s and 9800 stands out as best on
    my
    > configuration.
    > "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
    > decision
    > > in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass. tired of subpar
    > 5900
    > > treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I wanted image quality and
    > > antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted
    > > greatest 9800 is that .

    Hopefully your skill in installing and configuring is better than your
    written English.

    You mean "anthismorphic" isn't a type of filtering?

    and cumon...

    " I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted greatest 9800 is that ."

    That was my college thesis statement :)

    --
    Tony DiMarzio
    djtone81@hotmail.com

    "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > You mean "anthismorphic" isn't a type of filtering?
    >
    > and cumon...
    >
    > " I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted greatest 9800 is that ."
    >
    > That was my college thesis statement :)

    All your 9800 Pro are belong to us!

    "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
    decision
    > in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass. tired of subpar
    5900
    > treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I wanted image quality and
    > antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted
    > greatest 9800 is that .

    The table has turned. The new Nvidia 6800 is fully DX9c compliant while the
    new ATI X800 is just an overclocked ATI 9800XT thus only very aged DX9b
    compliant. Both have list price $499 and Nvidia beats ATI on every
    benchmark.

    Also Nvidia 5900 is two generations old, why didn't you buy 5950 or 6800?

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 05:59:46 GMT, "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com>
    wrote:

    >The table has turned. The new Nvidia 6800 is fully DX9c compliant while the
    >new ATI X800 is just an overclocked ATI 9800XT thus only very aged DX9b
    >compliant. Both have list price $499 and Nvidia beats ATI on every
    >benchmark.

    Every benchmark? I don't think so. Plus don't forget the cost most
    people will have to beef up their PSU for the 6800.

    Yea but I aint buying a 500 dollar card. I am only looking at the 5900 and
    9800 pro. This is plenty of power for me. My price point is 100 to 175 I got
    the pro for 155 great deal and 10 dollar ship its a ati not a water down
    sapphire too.

    "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> wrote in message

    > The table has turned. The new Nvidia 6800 is fully DX9c compliant
    while the
    > new ATI X800 is just an overclocked ATI 9800XT thus only very aged
    DX9b
    > compliant.

    DirectX 9.0b is "aged"?

    LOL, this reminds me of people who bought the GeForce3 and were boasting
    about it's programmable Pixel and Vertex shaders. Well, by the time
    games taking advantage of the architecture came out in any real
    quanitity, better video cards made themselves available. Yeah, I do
    agree implementing Pixel Shader 3.0 is a good idea, but how will the
    6800 series cards stack up when any real quantity of games taking
    advantage of Pixel Shader 3.0 come out?

    > Both have list price $499 and Nvidia beats ATI on every
    > benchmark.

    Definitely not true from every report I've read on the web.

    > Also Nvidia 5900 is two generations old, why didn't you buy 5950 or
    6800?

    Price I would think. The 9800 Pro is hovering around $200 U.S., and I
    don't think you'll get the 5950 or 6800 cards at that level.

    "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

    > "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
    > decision
    > > in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass. tired of subpar
    > 5900
    > > treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I wanted image quality and
    > > antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted
    > > greatest 9800 is that .
    > >

    > The table has turned. The new Nvidia 6800 is fully DX9c compliant while
    the
    > new ATI X800 is just an overclocked ATI 9800XT thus only very aged DX9b
    > compliant. Both have list price $499 and Nvidia beats ATI on every
    > benchmark.

    Except that the X800 beats R6800 in every game comparing best IQ, ie.highest
    resolution, AA and AF in a given game?
    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjExLDEw

    /Henrik

    LOL :) Good one. Haven't heard a "are belong to us" joke in while.

    > "Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > You mean "anthismorphic" isn't a type of filtering?
    > >
    > > and cumon...
    > >
    > > " I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted greatest 9800 is that ."
    > >
    > > That was my college thesis statement :)
    >
    > All your 9800 Pro are belong to us!

    "Ar Q" <ArthurQ283@hottmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse

    > The table has turned. The new Nvidia 6800 is fully DX9c compliant while
    the
    > new ATI X800 is just an overclocked ATI 9800XT thus only very aged DX9b
    > compliant. Both have list price $499 and Nvidia beats ATI on every
    > benchmark.

    Except that the X800 beats R6800 in every game comparing best IQ, ie.highest
    resolution, AA and AF in a given game?
    http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjExLDEw

    And besides, DX9b and c are not that different. Most of the new things are
    the possibility of speed optimizations.

    /Henrik

    ROFL...spew. Brilliant retro statement.

    RS

    Augustus wrote:

    > All your 9800 Pro are belong to us!
  14. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    But what you are failing to realize is that with the Radeon X800 series,
    what you see is what you get - it is basically just the Radeon 9800 on
    steroids - the 6800Ultra, as traditionally with most of the Nvidia cards,
    could have huge leaps in performance from future driver releases...so the
    benchmark comparisons you are seeing are definitely pre-mature. It would not
    be out of the ordinary to see increases in performance anywhere from 5-25%
    simply from driver updates. Wait until the 6800U has a couple driver updates
    and it *might* be a very different picture.

    Also, the link listed below is by no means a be all end all for benchmarks,
    I've seen numerous benchmarks that swing towards the 6800 U as well - right
    now they are just about the same and it is doubtful that you will physically
    notice huge differences between either the X800 XT or the 6800U, although I
    have seen most reviews/previews claiming that ATI's image quality is a tad
    better with the X800 XT vs. 6800U, again, wait until Nvidia releases some
    updated drivers - everything that I've read claims that the 6800U still has
    a lot of room for improvement, while the X800 is basically maxed out.

    Don't get me wrong, I think both cards are great, and it's a good time to be
    a gamer with either card - I personally will buy whichever one I can get my
    hands on first -

    "Henrik Stavnshøj" <hesta@nospam.dk> wrote in message

    > Except that the X800 beats R6800 in every game comparing best IQ,
    ie.highest
    > resolution, AA and AF in a given game?
    > http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjExLDEw
    >
    > And besides, DX9b and c are not that different. Most of the new things are
    > the possibility of speed optimizations.
    >
    > /Henrik

  15. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    NightSky 421 wrote:
    > "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >> I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
    >> decision in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass.
    >> tired of subpar 5900 treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I
    >> wanted image quality and antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure
    >> 5900 runs great but I wanted greatest 9800 is that .
    >>

    > I definitely think you made the right decision getting the 9800 Pro
    > over the 5900. I would not touch a GeForce FX series video card of
    > any sort.

    I did. And during the year that I ran it, Dracman and I ran some
    quality tests, to wit, went some of the performance info. The 9800 Pro
    Drac was running on a system of specs similar to mine did outperform the
    FX5900. So finally I caved and picked up a 9800 Pro 128, swapped out
    the vid cards and installed the Cat 4.5's and BANG. Gee, there IS a
    difference. In D3D stuff, especially if there are lots of pixel shaders
    and gobbs of textures, the 9800 Pro flat out stomps on the FX5900.
    SO, my son got a early birthday present, the FX5900....but I felt so bad
    about that, plus getting the ol GF4 Ti4600 back, I gave him a nice
    ontime bday pressie. A nice new AMD XP 3200+ :) So he popped out his
    XP2500+ (Barton) and dropped in the new one, he's happy now :) I'm
    happy now.
    SO...Now I want the X800XT PE !!!!! Come On With It! :)
    McG.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    In article <d%sxc.120$cS.35@edtnps89>, "Augustus" <tiberius@weeik.com> wrote:

    >"Tony DiMarzio" <djtone81@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> You mean "anthismorphic" isn't a type of filtering?
    >>
    >> and cumon...
    >>
    >> " I am sure 5900 runs great but I wanted greatest 9800 is that ."
    >>
    >> That was my college thesis statement :)
    >
    >All your 9800 Pro are belong to us!

    Send us up the bomb!!!!
  17. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:27:22 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >NightSky 421 wrote:
    >> "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> I been reviewing both 5900 vs 9800 pro and I think I made a better
    >>> decision in going with 9800 pro. I want my games to be bad ass.
    >>> tired of subpar 5900 treatment I want dx 9 fully complaint. I
    >>> wanted image quality and antialiasing and anthismorphic. I am sure
    >>> 5900 runs great but I wanted greatest 9800 is that .
    >>>

    >> I definitely think you made the right decision getting the 9800 Pro
    >> over the 5900. I would not touch a GeForce FX series video card of
    >> any sort.
    >
    >I did. And during the year that I ran it, Dracman and I ran some
    >quality tests, to wit, went some of the performance info. The 9800 Pro
    >Drac was running on a system of specs similar to mine did outperform the
    >FX5900. So finally I caved and picked up a 9800 Pro 128, swapped out
    >the vid cards and installed the Cat 4.5's and BANG. Gee, there IS a
    >difference. In D3D stuff, especially if there are lots of pixel shaders
    >and gobbs of textures, the 9800 Pro flat out stomps on the FX5900.
    >SO, my son got a early birthday present, the FX5900....but I felt so bad
    >about that, plus getting the ol GF4 Ti4600 back, I gave him a nice
    >ontime bday pressie. A nice new AMD XP 3200+ :) So he popped out his
    >XP2500+ (Barton) and dropped in the new one, he's happy now :) I'm
    >happy now.
    >SO...Now I want the X800XT PE !!!!! Come On With It! :)
    >McG.

    Does that mean your son'll get the 9800 Pro? Want to adopt me? I'm a
    genuine bona fide certified orphan...

    patrickp

  18. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    patrickp wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:27:22 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> NightSky 421 wrote:
    >>> "wired and confused" <johnsongerry@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> I definitely think you made the right decision getting the 9800 Pro
    >>> over the 5900. I would not touch a GeForce FX series video card of
    >>> any sort.
    >>
    >> I did. And during the year that I ran it, Dracman and I ran some
    >> quality tests, to wit, went some of the performance info. The 9800
    >> Pro Drac was running on a system of specs similar to mine did
    >> outperform the FX5900. So finally I caved and picked up a 9800 Pro
    >> 128, swapped out the vid cards and installed the Cat 4.5's and BANG.
    >> Gee, there IS a difference. In D3D stuff, especially if there are
    >> lots of pixel shaders and gobbs of textures, the 9800 Pro flat out
    >> stomps on the FX5900.
    >> SO, my son got a early birthday present, the FX5900....but I felt so
    >> bad about that, plus getting the ol GF4 Ti4600 back, I gave him a
    >> nice ontime bday pressie. A nice new AMD XP 3200+ :) So he popped
    >> out his XP2500+ (Barton) and dropped in the new one, he's happy now
    >> :) I'm happy now.
    >> SO...Now I want the X800XT PE !!!!! Come On With It! :)
    >> McG.
    >>

    > Does that mean your son'll get the 9800 Pro? Want to adopt me? I'm a
    > genuine bona fide certified orphan...
    >
    > patrickp
    >
    > patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

    Now I feel bad, see, my Lady would be getting the 9800 Pro....
    McG.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:06:18 -0700, "fleshonbone"
    <someone@microsoft.com> wrote:

    >But what you are failing to realize is that with the Radeon X800 series,
    >what you see is what you get - it is basically just the Radeon 9800 on
    >steroids - the 6800Ultra, as traditionally with most of the Nvidia cards,
    >could have huge leaps in performance from future driver releases...so the
    >benchmark comparisons you are seeing are definitely pre-mature. It would not
    >be out of the ordinary to see increases in performance anywhere from 5-25%
    >simply from driver updates. Wait until the 6800U has a couple driver updates
    >and it *might* be a very different picture.
    >
    >Also, the link listed below is by no means a be all end all for benchmarks,
    >I've seen numerous benchmarks that swing towards the 6800 U as well - right
    >now they are just about the same and it is doubtful that you will physically
    >notice huge differences between either the X800 XT or the 6800U, although I
    >have seen most reviews/previews claiming that ATI's image quality is a tad
    >better with the X800 XT vs. 6800U, again, wait until Nvidia releases some
    >updated drivers - everything that I've read claims that the 6800U still has
    >a lot of room for improvement, while the X800 is basically maxed out.
    >
    >Don't get me wrong, I think both cards are great, and it's a good time to be
    >a gamer with either card - I personally will buy whichever one I can get my
    >hands on first -

    Don't kid yourself, ATI blows away Nvidia at this point.

    Pluvious

    >"Henrik Stavnshøj" <hesta@nospam.dk> wrote in message
    >
    >> Except that the X800 beats R6800 in every game comparing best IQ,
    >ie.highest
    >> resolution, AA and AF in a given game?
    >> http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjExLDEw
    >>
    >> And besides, DX9b and c are not that different. Most of the new things are
    >> the possibility of speed optimizations.
    >>
    >> /Henrik

  20. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    "fleshonbone" <someone@microsoft.com> skrev i en meddelelse
    > But what you are failing to realize is that with the Radeon X800 series,
    > what you see is what you get - it is basically just the Radeon 9800 on
    > steroids - the 6800Ultra, as traditionally with most of the Nvidia cards,
    > could have huge leaps in performance from future driver releases...so the
    > benchmark comparisons you are seeing are definitely pre-mature. It would
    not
    > be out of the ordinary to see increases in performance anywhere from 5-25%
    > simply from driver updates. Wait until the 6800U has a couple driver
    updates
    > and it *might* be a very different picture.
    >
    > Also, the link listed below is by no means a be all end all for
    benchmarks,
    > I've seen numerous benchmarks that swing towards the 6800 U as well -
    right
    > now they are just about the same and it is doubtful that you will
    physically
    > notice huge differences between either the X800 XT or the 6800U, although
    > have seen most reviews/previews claiming that ATI's image quality is a tad
    > better with the X800 XT vs. 6800U, again, wait until Nvidia releases some
    > updated drivers - everything that I've read claims that the 6800U still
    has
    > a lot of room for improvement, while the X800 is basically maxed out.
    >
    > Don't get me wrong, I think both cards are great, and it's a good time to
    be
    > a gamer with either card - I personally will buy whichever one I can get
    my
    > hands on first -

    Well, I'm sorry. Your comment sounds just as nVidia's comments have all too
    often sounded: "We'll come back! Just You wait and see!."

    But, honestly: It's been a while since nVidia could turn out the kind of
    performance increase, they did with the early Detonator drivers.

    And why is this, one might ask one self?
    Well, couldn't it be because the competition has hardenened, so it's no
    longer possible to launch a card with a built-in reserve, that one might put
    to use later, when the opponents try to catch up ;-)

    Honestly, I think that ATI has again struck the right balance here: Don't
    make a card with excessive future-aimed features. Use what is needed here
    and now, and make the fastest, and most economical chip for it.

    Then, when the future arrives, make a new card ready to take it on :-)

    There has been discussion whether that extra feature* that nVidia has
    implemented, makes the R6800 the superior card. (*Texture displacement.)
    In a sense you of course can say that it does.

    But the most reasonable argument I saw, stated this: The use of that
    feature, first of all requires games that implement it. Secondly, if the use
    of that feature slows the card down to a crawl, when actually used, of what
    use is it then? :-)

    So what do you want?
    A card that is fast, and has excellent image quality, here and now?
    Or a card, that has a feature that might, or might not, be used in the
    future, and which, if used, may proove useless?

    I know what i would choose :-)

    /Henrik
  21. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:32:19 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >patrickp wrote:
    >> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 23:27:22 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    >> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >>> I did. And during the year that I ran it, Dracman and I ran some
    >>> quality tests, to wit, went some of the performance info. The 9800
    >>> Pro Drac was running on a system of specs similar to mine did
    >>> outperform the FX5900. So finally I caved and picked up a 9800 Pro
    >>> 128, swapped out the vid cards and installed the Cat 4.5's and BANG.
    >>> Gee, there IS a difference. In D3D stuff, especially if there are
    >>> lots of pixel shaders and gobbs of textures, the 9800 Pro flat out
    >>> stomps on the FX5900.
    >>> SO, my son got a early birthday present, the FX5900....but I felt so
    >>> bad about that, plus getting the ol GF4 Ti4600 back, I gave him a
    >>> nice ontime bday pressie. A nice new AMD XP 3200+ :) So he popped
    >>> out his XP2500+ (Barton) and dropped in the new one, he's happy now
    >>> :) I'm happy now.
    >>> SO...Now I want the X800XT PE !!!!! Come On With It! :)
    >>> McG.
    >>>

    >> Does that mean your son'll get the 9800 Pro? Want to adopt me? I'm a
    >> genuine bona fide certified orphan...
    >>
    >> patrickp
    >>
    >> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
    >
    >Now I feel bad, see, my Lady would be getting the 9800 Pro....
    >McG.

    No, no - marriage is _not_ what I was proposing, McG! Besides
    wouldn't that be sort of... bigamous?

    patrickp

  22. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    patrickp wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:32:19 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> patrickp wrote:

    >>> Does that mean your son'll get the 9800 Pro? Want to adopt me?
    >>> I'm a genuine bona fide certified orphan...
    >>>
    >>> patrickp
    >>>
    >>> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
    >>
    >> Now I feel bad, see, my Lady would be getting the 9800 Pro....
    >> McG.
    >>

    > No, no - marriage is _not_ what I was proposing, McG! Besides
    > wouldn't that be sort of... bigamous?

    Well, I'm not married ;)
    McG.

    > patrickp
    >
    > patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
  23. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:17:55 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >patrickp wrote:
    >> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:32:19 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    >> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >>> Now I feel bad, see, my Lady would be getting the 9800 Pro....
    >>> McG.
    >>>

    >> No, no - marriage is _not_ what I was proposing, McG! Besides
    >> wouldn't that be sort of... bigamous?
    >
    >Well, I'm not married ;)
    >McG.
    >

    >> patrickp
    >>
    >> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

    Tsk! And you're a McGrandpa? ;-)))

    patrickp

  24. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    patrickp wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:17:55 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> patrickp wrote:

    >>> No, no - marriage is _not_ what I was proposing, McG! Besides
    >>> wouldn't that be sort of... bigamous?
    >>
    >> Well, I'm not married ;)
    >> McG.
    >>

    >>> patrickp
    >>>
    >>> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
    >>

    > Tsk! And you're a McGrandpa? ;-)))

    Yep :) Been that-a-way twice. Got 4 kids, 4.9 grandkids. The 5th is
    due any day now.
    McG.

    > patrickp
    >
    > patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
  25. Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 10:29:39 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >patrickp wrote:
    >> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 03:17:55 GMT, "McGrandpa"
    >> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

    >>> Well, I'm not married ;)
    >>> McG.

    >> Tsk! And you're a McGrandpa? ;-)))
    >
    >Yep :) Been that-a-way twice. Got 4 kids, 4.9 grandkids. The 5th is
    >due any day now.
    >McG.
    >

    >> patrickp
    >>
    >> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

    Prolific, eh? Congratulations! I like kids, but I couldn't manage a
    whole one...

    patrickp

Radeon ATI Graphics