Ariana

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2005

I have e43ge.dll infected with downloader.trojan virus and my (fully updated)
Norton Antivirus will recognize the virus but wont clean the file.

Any suggestions?

I cant go in and delete this dll file. thanks

Paul

Splendid

"Ariana" <Ariana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have e43ge.dll infected with downloader.trojan virus and my (fully
>updated)
> Norton Antivirus will recognize the virus but wont clean the file.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I cant go in and delete this dll file. thanks

What happens if you go into safe mode and do the scan again............

Ariana

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2005

In safe mode, I scannned again several times, Norton recognizes the virus but
is unable to delete it.

The file is located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and when i attempt to delete this
file manually in safe or regular operating modes, i receive an "Access is
denied" error message and am prevented from deleting this file.

"Paul" wrote:

> "Ariana" <Ariana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have e43ge.dll infected with downloader.trojan virus and my (fully
> >updated)
> > Norton Antivirus will recognize the virus but wont clean the file.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > I cant go in and delete this dll file. thanks
>
> What happens if you go into safe mode and do the scan again............

Malke

Ariana wrote:

> In safe mode, I scannned again several times, Norton recognizes the
> virus but is unable to delete it.
>
> The file is located in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 and when i attempt to
> delete this file manually in safe or regular operating modes, i
> receive an "Access is denied" error message and am prevented from
> deleting this file.
>
> "Paul" wrote:
>

>> "Ariana" <Ariana@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have e43ge.dll infected with downloader.trojan virus and my (fully
>> >updated)
>> > Norton Antivirus will recognize the virus but wont clean the file.
>> >
>> > Any suggestions?
>> >
>> > I cant go in and delete this dll file. thanks
>>
>> What happens if you go into safe mode and do the scan
>> again............

Things to try:

1. Make sure you are logging in as Administrator in Safe Mode.

2. Try and take ownership of the rogue .dll and change permissions to
give Administrator full control. If you can't, then try the next step.

3. Instead of Safe Mode, take Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Navigate to
C:\Windows\System32 and try and del the file that way.

4. If that doesn't work, then you need to boot with a tool that gives
you access to the operating system such as Winternals' ERD Commander or
a Bart's PE disk. Winternals allows an emergency download of ERD
Commander from:
http://www.winternals.com/index2.asp

This is nice, since this software is *very* expensive.

You have to build a Bart's PE disk yourself, as described here:
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

If you need Step 4 and don't have the ability or desire to do the
necessary work, don't fret about it. Just take your computer to a good
local professional (not a BestBuy or CompUSA type of store) and have
them fix things for you. Go do something fun while they work.

Good luck,

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User