windows/system32/config/system flie corrupt or missing...

on my 80 gig hard drive. I was unable to repair the file by booting from the
windows XP cd as the computer suggested. My 'easy' solution was to upgrade
to a 230 gig drive and just transfer the files i needed. The new hard drive
is up and going, XP is in and all the programs are updated etc. I did a
transfer with the Western Digital file transfer wizzard only to find the
files in the 'my documents' folder were still password protected and
inaccessible. (My other files were just a click to access.) Depending on
which program I use to try to access it, I get a range of errors from file
not accessible to 'see your system adminisrtator' I even was asked for my
password to no avail. Booting from the new drive I was still unable to
repair, copy past or replace the corrupt file on the old drive. Now when I
try to boot from the old drive it asks me to INSTALL windows... it doesn't
even recognize windows is on there. I have tried two different 'file
recovery' programs but those seem to focus of recovering deleted files. I
have always heard its nearly impossible to erase info and files from a hard
drive unless they are over written... and then they could still be recovered.
1 answer Last reply
More about windows system32 config system flie corrupt missing

    keeter912 wrote:

    > on my 80 gig hard drive. I was unable to repair the file by booting
    > from the
    > windows XP cd as the computer suggested. My 'easy' solution was to
    > upgrade
    > to a 230 gig drive and just transfer the files i needed. The new hard
    > drive
    > is up and going, XP is in and all the programs are updated etc. I did
    > a transfer with the Western Digital file transfer wizzard only to find
    > the
    > files in the 'my documents' folder were still password protected and
    > inaccessible. (My other files were just a click to access.)
    > Depending on which program I use to try to access it, I get a range of
    > errors from file
    > not accessible to 'see your system adminisrtator' I even was asked
    > for my password to no avail. Booting from the new drive I was still
    unable
    (snip)

    An easy way to retrieve Windows files is to boot with Knoppix, a Linux
    distro on a live cd. You will need a computer with two cd drives, one
    of which is a cd/dvd-rw. To get Knoppix, you need a computer with a
    fast Internet connection and third-party burning software. Download the
    Knoppix .iso from www.knoppix.net and create your bootable cd. Then
    boot with it and it will be able to see the Windows files. Use the K3b
    burning program to burn the files to cd/dvd-r's.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers