Radeon 9800 PRO Freezing/Hard Lock in games?

famine

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

Searched through the group, and the only similar post I could find was a
guy talking about small freezes, which could be any number of things (HDD
problems, RAM).

Anyway, this is much more serious. I bought this Radeon 9800PRO (mfg. ATi)
about a month ago, and for the past two weeks, I haven't been able to play
any games because they would hard lock after 30 seconds or sometimes even
up to 10 minutes of gameplay.

I consulted some friends about this, and they suggested overheating, and my
CPU was idling at 45C, so I replaced the thermal paste on my CPU, and added
another case fan. To make sure of the overheating problem, I pointed a box-
fan into the open side of my case (It sits at about 48C at 100% usage now
w/ SETI@Home running). Still locked up in-game. I've reinstalled windows in
the past week in an effort to fix this, reinstalled the games I play
(Thief3, UT2k4, and now the Ground Control 2 MP Demo), no dice.

I really have no idea what's causing this, and I'd like to. So any
suggestions would be great.

Asus A7n8x-deluxe nForce2 motherboard FSB currently at 333
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2800(2.08gHz)
ATi Radeon 9800Pro 128mb
512mb Crucial XNS DDR3200 @333
Austin 450w PSU
2 WD 120gb SE hd's

JohnS

I replaced 3 of those ASUS mobos under warantee,
and within about a year, all three went down again...
same problem .. intermittant freezeup when the cpu
was being used in a program ... like Solidworks
CAD program. The problem was bad capacitors
on the mobos ( that Asian capacitor thing ). I suspect
your new video card is revealing that problem in your
mobo ... just a guess, but move the card and see.

johns

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:46:28 GMT, FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote:

>Searched through the group, and the only similar post I could find was a
>guy talking about small freezes, which could be any number of things (HDD
>problems, RAM).
>
>Anyway, this is much more serious. I bought this Radeon 9800PRO (mfg. ATi)
>about a month ago, and for the past two weeks, I haven't been able to play
>any games because they would hard lock after 30 seconds or sometimes even
>up to 10 minutes of gameplay.
>
>I consulted some friends about this, and they suggested overheating, and my
>CPU was idling at 45C, so I replaced the thermal paste on my CPU, and added
>another case fan. To make sure of the overheating problem, I pointed a box-
>fan into the open side of my case (It sits at about 48C at 100% usage now
>w/ SETI@Home running). Still locked up in-game. I've reinstalled windows in
>the past week in an effort to fix this, reinstalled the games I play
>(Thief3, UT2k4, and now the Ground Control 2 MP Demo), no dice.
>
>I really have no idea what's causing this, and I'd like to. So any
>suggestions would be great.
>

>Asus A7n8x-deluxe nForce2 motherboard FSB currently at 333
>AMD Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2800(2.08gHz)
>ATi Radeon 9800Pro 128mb
>512mb Crucial XNS DDR3200 @333
>Austin 450w PSU
>2 WD 120gb SE hd's

I was going to suggest you still had old drivers that where
conflicting with the new, but if its still happening after a reinstall
of windows and all the games I'm confused. I assume you reinstalled
DirectX but did you update your VIA drivers (or Mobo drivers)?? Did
you disable the onboard graphics in the bios?

Can you install the video card in a friends machine to see if (heaven
forbid) the card itself is faulty?

Pluvious

famine

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in

> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:46:28 GMT, FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>Searched through the group, and the only similar post I could find was
>>a guy talking about small freezes, which could be any number of things
>>(HDD problems, RAM).
>>
>>Anyway, this is much more serious. I bought this Radeon 9800PRO (mfg.
>>ATi) about a month ago, and for the past two weeks, I haven't been
>>able to play any games because they would hard lock after 30 seconds
>>or sometimes even up to 10 minutes of gameplay.
>>
>>I consulted some friends about this, and they suggested overheating,
>>and my CPU was idling at 45C, so I replaced the thermal paste on my
>>CPU, and added another case fan. To make sure of the overheating
>>problem, I pointed a box- fan into the open side of my case (It sits
>>at about 48C at 100% usage now w/ SETI@Home running). Still locked up
>>in-game. I've reinstalled windows in the past week in an effort to fix
>>this, reinstalled the games I play (Thief3, UT2k4, and now the Ground
>>Control 2 MP Demo), no dice.
>>
>>I really have no idea what's causing this, and I'd like to. So any
>>suggestions would be great.
>>

>>Asus A7n8x-deluxe nForce2 motherboard FSB currently at 333
>>AMD Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2800(2.08gHz)
>>ATi Radeon 9800Pro 128mb
>>512mb Crucial XNS DDR3200 @333
>>Austin 450w PSU
>>2 WD 120gb SE hd's
>

> I was going to suggest you still had old drivers that where
> conflicting with the new, but if its still happening after a reinstall
> of windows and all the games I'm confused. I assume you reinstalled
> DirectX but did you update your VIA drivers (or Mobo drivers)?? Did
> you disable the onboard graphics in the bios?
>
> Can you install the video card in a friends machine to see if (heaven
> forbid) the card itself is faulty?
>
> Pluvious

I went through the same train of thought you did. Tried the newest nForce
Drivers (nVidia mobo chipset, not VIA), and also tried some older drivers
on the previous installation of windows. No onboard graphics to disable,
this board only has onboard sound.

I suppose I could stick the card in a friends machine. At this moment
that's the only conclusion I can come to, since the rest of my machine is
over a year old, and the video card is just under two months old.

I wish there was something else I could check though. I'll get on that
(checking the video card itself).

famine

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

"johns" <johnsxxx@mudbog.edu> wrote in news:ca7rlu$mm$1
@kestrel.csrv.uidaho.edu:

> I replaced 3 of those ASUS mobos under warantee,
> and within about a year, all three went down again...
> same problem .. intermittant freezeup when the cpu
> was being used in a program ... like Solidworks
> CAD program. The problem was bad capacitors
> on the mobos ( that Asian capacitor thing ). I suspect
> your new video card is revealing that problem in your
> mobo ... just a guess, but move the card and see.
>
> johns

Hmm, odd that this should happen about a year after I installed it, if it
was the mobo. Pretty much all my friends have this same motherboard too,
and they haven't been reporting anything like that. But I'll know soon
enough, once I check this videocard. I might still be able to get the mobo
replaced, if it turns out to be that.

But, I've currently been running SETI@Home for a couple days now, to stress
the CPU, and I haven't been getting anything out of the norm except when I
run 3d games.

famine

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote in

> Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in
>
>> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 01:46:28 GMT, FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Searched through the group, and the only similar post I could find
>>>was a guy talking about small freezes, which could be any number of
>>>things (HDD problems, RAM).
>>>
>>>Anyway, this is much more serious. I bought this Radeon 9800PRO (mfg.
>>>ATi) about a month ago, and for the past two weeks, I haven't been
>>>able to play any games because they would hard lock after 30 seconds
>>>or sometimes even up to 10 minutes of gameplay.
>>>
>>>I consulted some friends about this, and they suggested overheating,
>>>and my CPU was idling at 45C, so I replaced the thermal paste on my
>>>CPU, and added another case fan. To make sure of the overheating
>>>problem, I pointed a box- fan into the open side of my case (It sits
>>>at about 48C at 100% usage now w/ SETI@Home running). Still locked up
>>>in-game. I've reinstalled windows in the past week in an effort to
>>>fix this, reinstalled the games I play (Thief3, UT2k4, and now the
>>>Ground Control 2 MP Demo), no dice.
>>>
>>>I really have no idea what's causing this, and I'd like to. So any
>>>suggestions would be great.
>>>

>>>Asus A7n8x-deluxe nForce2 motherboard FSB currently at 333
>>>AMD Athlon XP 2800+ @ 2800(2.08gHz)
>>>ATi Radeon 9800Pro 128mb
>>>512mb Crucial XNS DDR3200 @333
>>>Austin 450w PSU
>>>2 WD 120gb SE hd's
>>

>> I was going to suggest you still had old drivers that where
>> conflicting with the new, but if its still happening after a
>> reinstall of windows and all the games I'm confused. I assume you
>> reinstalled DirectX but did you update your VIA drivers (or Mobo
>> drivers)?? Did you disable the onboard graphics in the bios?
>>
>> Can you install the video card in a friends machine to see if (heaven
>> forbid) the card itself is faulty?
>>
>> Pluvious
>>

> I went through the same train of thought you did. Tried the newest
> nForce Drivers (nVidia mobo chipset, not VIA), and also tried some
> older drivers on the previous installation of windows. No onboard
> graphics to disable, this board only has onboard sound.
>
> I suppose I could stick the card in a friends machine. At this moment
> that's the only conclusion I can come to, since the rest of my machine
> is over a year old, and the video card is just under two months old.
>
> I wish there was something else I could check though. I'll get on that
> (checking the video card itself).

Alright, I got a replacement 9800pro today, and after about 30minutes in
UT2k4 it locked up again.

*sigh* back to square one, and I don't even know where to go next. You
think that the PSU might have something to do with this? Its a generic
450w that probably doesnt put out the full 450w.

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:33:32 GMT, FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote:

>FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote in
>
>> Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in

>>> I was going to suggest you still had old drivers that where
>>> conflicting with the new, but if its still happening after a
>>> reinstall of windows and all the games I'm confused. I assume you
>>> reinstalled DirectX but did you update your VIA drivers (or Mobo
>>> drivers)?? Did you disable the onboard graphics in the bios?
>>>
>>> Can you install the video card in a friends machine to see if (heaven
>>> forbid) the card itself is faulty?
>>>
>>> Pluvious
>>>

>> I went through the same train of thought you did. Tried the newest
>> nForce Drivers (nVidia mobo chipset, not VIA), and also tried some
>> older drivers on the previous installation of windows. No onboard
>> graphics to disable, this board only has onboard sound.
>>
>> I suppose I could stick the card in a friends machine. At this moment
>> that's the only conclusion I can come to, since the rest of my machine
>> is over a year old, and the video card is just under two months old.
>>
>> I wish there was something else I could check though. I'll get on that
>> (checking the video card itself).
>>

>Alright, I got a replacement 9800pro today, and after about 30minutes in
>UT2k4 it locked up again.
>
>*sigh* back to square one, and I don't even know where to go next. You
>think that the PSU might have something to do with this? Its a generic
>450w that probably doesnt put out the full 450w.

I think you have enough power with the 450watts, even if it is a
cheapy. That's more then enough, unless its not the supply but a
complete failure instead. How old is it and can you 'borrow' you're
friends PSU and swap it out for a day to see?

Other then that, you're starting to get into that "haunted system"
territory and when that happens I bite the bullet and take it to my
local shop. Let them deal with it.

Pluvious

That sounds EXACTLY like ram... bad ram to be exact. I've personally had
this happen a few times and Ive always found it to be the fault of average
ram. The thing thats puzzling, however, is that youre using Crucial... which
is odd since they dont screw up 'just like that'. I have a high regard for
Crucial - but if you're looking to add more ram in the near future anyway,
I'd suggest Corsair - they are the elite ninjas of the ram world, as I'm
sure you'd know anyway. Worth a try.

Blaedmon wrote:
> That sounds EXACTLY like ram... bad ram to be exact. I've personally
> had this happen a few times and Ive always found it to be the fault
> of average ram. The thing thats puzzling, however, is that youre
> using Crucial... which is odd since they dont screw up 'just like
> that'. I have a high regard for Crucial - but if you're looking to
> add more ram in the near future anyway, I'd suggest Corsair - they
> are the elite ninjas of the ram world, as I'm sure you'd know anyway.
> Worth a try.

It could simply need to be reseated (ejected, re-inserted firmly).
McG.

> "FaMiNe" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>> FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in

>>> I went through the same train of thought you did. Tried the newest
>>> nForce Drivers (nVidia mobo chipset, not VIA), and also tried some
>>> older drivers on the previous installation of windows. No onboard
>>> graphics to disable, this board only has onboard sound.
>>>
>>> I suppose I could stick the card in a friends machine. At this
>>> moment that's the only conclusion I can come to, since the rest of
>>> my machine is over a year old, and the video card is just under two
>>> months old.
>>>
>>> I wish there was something else I could check though. I'll get on
>>> that (checking the video card itself).
>>>

>> Alright, I got a replacement 9800pro today, and after about
>> 30minutes in UT2k4 it locked up again.
>>
>> *sigh* back to square one, and I don't even know where to go next.
>> You think that the PSU might have something to do with this? Its a
>> generic 450w that probably doesnt put out the full 450w.

famine

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

> "FaMiNe" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>> FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote in
>>
>> > Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in

>> > I went through the same train of thought you did. Tried the newest
>> > nForce Drivers (nVidia mobo chipset, not VIA), and also tried some
>> > older drivers on the previous installation of windows. No onboard
>> > graphics to disable, this board only has onboard sound.
>> >
>> > I suppose I could stick the card in a friends machine. At this
>> > moment that's the only conclusion I can come to, since the rest of
>> > my machine is over a year old, and the video card is just under two
>> > months old.
>> >
>> > I wish there was something else I could check though. I'll get on
>> > that (checking the video card itself).
>> >

>> Alright, I got a replacement 9800pro today, and after about 30minutes
>> in UT2k4 it locked up again.
>>
>> *sigh* back to square one, and I don't even know where to go next.
>> You think that the PSU might have something to do with this? Its a
>> generic 450w that probably doesnt put out the full 450w.
>

> "Blaedmon" <here@hell.com> wrote in
>
> That sounds EXACTLY like ram... bad ram to be exact. I've personally
> had this happen a few times and Ive always found it to be the fault of
> average ram. The thing thats puzzling, however, is that youre using
> Crucial... which is odd since they dont screw up 'just like that'. I
> have a high regard for Crucial - but if you're looking to add more ram
> in the near future anyway, I'd suggest Corsair - they are the elite
> ninjas of the ram world, as I'm sure you'd know anyway. Worth a try.

I had that same thought, because I've had a bad RAM experience. You know,
I got my RAM mixed up, since the names are so similar. I do have a stick of
Corsair RAM XMS 512mb PC3200 DDR.

But there's some memory testing app that I hear is really good at testing
for good ram (I recall running it about four months ago, but I suppose it
won't hurt to check again).

I don't remember what the memory program is *googles* www.memtest86.com.
Burning the ISO of the app right now, and will get back to you. I'm just
assuming it'll check out ok, because the memory going bad just doesn't
sound right.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I still need help!

famine

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote in

>> "FaMiNe" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
>>> FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote in

>>> Alright, I got a replacement 9800pro today, and after about
>>> 30minutes in UT2k4 it locked up again.
>>>
>>> *sigh* back to square one, and I don't even know where to go next.
>>> You think that the PSU might have something to do with this? Its a
>>> generic 450w that probably doesnt put out the full 450w.
>>

>> "Blaedmon" <here@hell.com> wrote in
>>
>> That sounds EXACTLY like ram... bad ram to be exact. I've personally
>> had this happen a few times and Ive always found it to be the fault
>> of average ram. The thing thats puzzling, however, is that youre
>> using Crucial... which is odd since they dont screw up 'just like
>> that'. I have a high regard for Crucial - but if you're looking to
>> add more ram in the near future anyway, I'd suggest Corsair - they
>> are the elite ninjas of the ram world, as I'm sure you'd know anyway.
>> Worth a try.
>>

> I had that same thought, because I've had a bad RAM experience. You
> know, I got my RAM mixed up, since the names are so similar. I do
> have a stick of Corsair RAM XMS 512mb PC3200 DDR.
>
> But there's some memory testing app that I hear is really good at
> testing for good ram (I recall running it about four months ago, but I
> suppose it won't hurt to check again).
>
> I don't remember what the memory program is *googles*
> www.memtest86.com. Burning the ISO of the app right now, and will get
> back to you. I'm just assuming it'll check out ok, because the memory
> going bad just doesn't sound right.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion though. I still need help!

Memory passed 6 passes of Memtest86 (this took about 2 hours). I'm
satisfied that the memory is not the problem.

Hmm.. could also be your chipset overheating - thats another area showing
your symptoms.. but the a7n8x has a nice HS.. hmm
Have you tried reinstalling the latest DirectX? Also, lower your AGP
aperture to 64megs... hmm what else...
Check your Radeon gpu fan is actually working...hmm...thats all I can think
of ;)

famine

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

> Hmm.. could also be your chipset overheating - thats another area
> showing your symptoms.. but the a7n8x has a nice HS.. hmm
> Have you tried reinstalling the latest DirectX? Also, lower your AGP
> aperture to 64megs... hmm what else...
> Check your Radeon gpu fan is actually working...hmm...thats all I can
> think of ;)

I didn't think it had anything to do with heat, due to the squirrel cage
fan I pointed in there and tested with that thing running (gave me about
15C cooler temps for everything), and the lock still happened. I
reinstalled windows, and DirectX with it... 9.0b i believe. And I also
tried lowering the AGP aperature earlier, same issues.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 19:33:32 GMT, FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Pluvious <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in

>>> I went through the same train of thought you did. Tried the newest
>>> nForce Drivers (nVidia mobo chipset, not VIA), and also tried some
>>> older drivers on the previous installation of windows. No onboard
>>> graphics to disable, this board only has onboard sound.
>>>
>>> I suppose I could stick the card in a friends machine. At this
>>> moment that's the only conclusion I can come to, since the rest of
>>> my machine is over a year old, and the video card is just under two
>>> months old.
>>>
>>> I wish there was something else I could check though. I'll get on
>>> that (checking the video card itself).
>>>

>>Alright, I got a replacement 9800pro today, and after about 30minutes
>>in UT2k4 it locked up again.
>>
>>*sigh* back to square one, and I don't even know where to go next. You
>>think that the PSU might have something to do with this? Its a generic
>>450w that probably doesnt put out the full 450w.
>

> I think you have enough power with the 450watts, even if it is a
> cheapy. That's more then enough, unless its not the supply but a
> complete failure instead. How old is it and can you 'borrow' you're
> friends PSU and swap it out for a day to see?
>
> Other then that, you're starting to get into that "haunted system"
> territory and when that happens I bite the bullet and take it to my
> local shop. Let them deal with it.
>
> Pluvious

Yea, I'm starting to fear that's what I'll have to do. But I honestly
don't think a local shop could figure it out either, they'd probably
give it back and say there's no problem (since the problem only happens
in games, and sometimes 30 minutes into them).

I'll see about borrowing a PSU... I'm thinking about replacing the
motherboard (I wonder if it's still under ASUS warranty? hmm.)

I'm wondering about your surge protector. Reason being that I have seen
people who do not use a surge protector, or have an el cheapo surger
protector, run into strange problems with the PC after awhile. What happens
is that components quite often won't fail completely, but just start to act
up, and its almost impossible to determine the cause. Since you replaced
your 9800 pro, I don't think the problem is your video card, and since you
did a reinstall including all of the latest drivers, I don't think its a
software problem. More likely the problem lies with you mobo, specifically
the circuitry that supports video and graphics display. It would seem that
a component that supports high end graphics like those from the 9800 pro has
failed, or is on the verge of failing. You may need to replace the mobo,
and when you do, invest in some decent surge protection. I got myself an
APC UPS three years ago and before that I had a decent one that not only
protected from surges, but also filtered the power coming in off the line to
even it out. I haven't had any of the little unexplained problems since I
went that route.

JK

FaMiNe wrote:

> FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote in
>

> >> "FaMiNe" <no@spam.com> wrote in message

> >> "Blaedmon" <here@hell.com> wrote in
> >>
> >> That sounds EXACTLY like ram... bad ram to be exact. I've personally
> >> had this happen a few times and Ive always found it to be the fault
> >> of average ram. The thing thats puzzling, however, is that youre
> >> using Crucial... which is odd since they dont screw up 'just like
> >> that'. I have a high regard for Crucial - but if you're looking to
> >> add more ram in the near future anyway, I'd suggest Corsair - they
> >> are the elite ninjas of the ram world, as I'm sure you'd know anyway.
> >> Worth a try.
> >>

> > I had that same thought, because I've had a bad RAM experience. You
> > know, I got my RAM mixed up, since the names are so similar. I do
> > have a stick of Corsair RAM XMS 512mb PC3200 DDR.
> >
> > But there's some memory testing app that I hear is really good at
> > testing for good ram (I recall running it about four months ago, but I
> > suppose it won't hurt to check again).
> >
> > I don't remember what the memory program is *googles*
> > www.memtest86.com. Burning the ISO of the app right now, and will get
> > back to you. I'm just assuming it'll check out ok, because the memory
> > going bad just doesn't sound right.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion though. I still need help!
> >

> Memory passed 6 passes of Memtest86 (this took about 2 hours). I'm
> satisfied that the memory is not the problem.

2 hrs is NOT ENOUGH, run it for 12 hrs, and also run prime95 for 12-24
hrs

Gordon

BP

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 21:42:48 GMT, Gordon Scott
<gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote:

>FaMiNe wrote:
>>
>> FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote in

>> > I had that same thought, because I've had a bad RAM experience. You
>> > know, I got my RAM mixed up, since the names are so similar. I do
>> > have a stick of Corsair RAM XMS 512mb PC3200 DDR.
>> >
>> > But there's some memory testing app that I hear is really good at
>> > testing for good ram (I recall running it about four months ago, but I
>> > suppose it won't hurt to check again).
>> >
>> > I don't remember what the memory program is *googles*
>> > www.memtest86.com. Burning the ISO of the app right now, and will get
>> > back to you. I'm just assuming it'll check out ok, because the memory
>> > going bad just doesn't sound right.
>> >
>> > Thanks for the suggestion though. I still need help!
>> >

>> Memory passed 6 passes of Memtest86 (this took about 2 hours). I'm
>> satisfied that the memory is not the problem.
>
>2 hrs is NOT ENOUGH, run it for 12 hrs, and also run prime95 for 12-24
>hrs
>
>Gordon

I vote:
Power supply
There are some good web sites that can tell you how to determine your
power usage and if you're stressing the PS. I had same thing except my
PC would reboot.(Only during games)

Bought a new PS, after trying everything else, and never looked back.

(Didn't read the whole thread so if you've tried this don't kill me)

BP

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:26:47 GMT, FaMiNe <no@spam.com> wrote:

>I'll see about borrowing a PSU... I'm thinking about replacing the
>motherboard (I wonder if it's still under ASUS warranty? hmm.)

Might be easier to find another PC to put the card in.

Gordon Scott wrote:
> FaMiNe wrote:

snipped for brevity

>>> Thanks for the suggestion though. I still need help!
>>>

>> Memory passed 6 passes of Memtest86 (this took about 2 hours). I'm
>> satisfied that the memory is not the problem.
>
> 2 hrs is NOT ENOUGH, run it for 12 hrs, and also run prime95 for 12-24
> hrs
>
> Gordon

Really? And if the computer arbitrarily resets itself after 30 to 40
minutes, how then is 2 hours of continual testing not enough?

We really also need for ATI to put in thermal sensing in their cores :(
McG.

patrickp wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:21:15 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

SNIPS for brevity

>> I've disabled HyperThreading and CPU Count in the BIOS. It's the
>> only New thing I haven't done anything with. Do you know of any
>> issues the ATi drivers or cards might have with HT?
>> McG.
>>

> Only other thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned here is
> something running in the background? Just a thought.
>
> patrickp
>
> patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

If it still does it in Far Cry, I'll be looking at that. With HT
disabled, I've run the system with a pretty heavy load for 3 hours, no
resets. But I haven't tried 3D games yet. Just 2D work.
I'll run Far Cry before going to the cinema (The Chronicles of Riddick!)
McG.

I don't think HT has any issues with catalyst drivers. I have used 3.8 ,
3.9 , 4.2 , and now 4.4's with HT P4's. And my main PC is a HT 2.8Ghz with a
9800Pro and Cat 4.4 's.

I would almost bet heat, or video speed settings (are you overclocking your
core or memory?)

> patrickp wrote:
> > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:21:15 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> SNIPS for brevity
>
> >> I've disabled HyperThreading and CPU Count in the BIOS. It's the
> >> only New thing I haven't done anything with. Do you know of any
> >> issues the ATi drivers or cards might have with HT?
> >> McG.
> >>

> > Only other thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned here is
> > something running in the background? Just a thought.
> >
> > patrickp
> >
> > patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
>
> If it still does it in Far Cry, I'll be looking at that. With HT
> disabled, I've run the system with a pretty heavy load for 3 hours, no
> resets. But I haven't tried 3D games yet. Just 2D work.
> I'll run Far Cry before going to the cinema (The Chronicles of Riddick!)
> McG.

shawk

"Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net> wrote in message
> I don't think HT has any issues with catalyst drivers. I have used 3.8 ,
> 3.9 , 4.2 , and now 4.4's with HT P4's. And my main PC is a HT 2.8Ghz with
> 9800Pro and Cat 4.4 's.
>
> I would almost bet heat, or video speed settings (are you overclocking
your
> core or memory?)

> > patrickp wrote:
> > > On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:21:15 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> > > <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > SNIPS for brevity

> > > Only other thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned here is
> > > something running in the background? Just a thought.
> > >
> > > patrickp
> > >
> > > patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
> >
> > If it still does it in Far Cry, I'll be looking at that. With HT
> > disabled, I've run the system with a pretty heavy load for 3 hours, no
> > resets. But I haven't tried 3D games yet. Just 2D work.
> > I'll run Far Cry before going to the cinema (The Chronicles of Riddick!)
> > McG.

Guys, havent read the whole thread so apologies if I'm repeating something
but I'm getting lock ups after about 1/2hr of Far Cry and UT04. This is not
a 9800 Pro but a 9600 Pro and has only happened since upgrading the drivers
to 4.6. I'm about to go back to the 4.4 Omegas to see if that makes a diff.
Shaun