Why game menu heats GPU more than game play?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 9, 2004 6:47:30 AM

I was running some games like UT2004 and BFV to see how hot my 9800 Pro
would get (thermistor at the base of the heat sink) and then noticed that
when I left the games on the menu screens the temps showed higher than when
playing the game. This is on an Athlon 64 3400 with 1GB PC3200.
I thought the menu graphics would be a lot less processing for the GPU and
run lower temps but it seems to be the opposite in these games. Running the
3DMark tests does not seem to heat up the card more than the game play
either. Maybe because the pauses in action lets the GPU cool down?
What game setup, demo or program would be best for testing the max temp of
VGA cards?

Lou
Anonymous
June 9, 2004 9:05:53 PM