wireless network connection

OK so I know I'm a rookie but why is it that when I'm on some wireless network connection and on some LAN connections I can receive my mail, surf the web but I can't send my mail. On others it works fine. Is it a setting on my computer that I can change or is it a setting on their systems?
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless network connection

    On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:26:06 -0700, T-N <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
    wrote:

    >OK so I know I'm a rookie but why is it that when I'm on some wireless network connection and on some LAN connections I can receive my mail, surf the web but I can't send my mail. On others it works fine. Is it a setting on my computer that I can change or is it a setting on their systems?

    If you're referring to using different wireless LANs to connect to the internet
    and use services, I would suspect that it depends upon the ISP providing the
    internet service to the LAN in question.

    Surfing the internet is a basic service that is provided to everybody who
    connects to an ISP.

    When you receive email, you connect to your ISP's POP server. You probably
    authenticate with a username and password. Your ISP lets you connect to their
    POP server from any internet connection, since you are authenticating with the
    userid and password setup in their system.

    When you send email, you try and connect to your ISP's SMTP server. SMTP
    servers don't always authenticate connection just with userid and password, some
    ISPs set them up to authenticate by IP address of connection being made. If you
    try to connect to your ISP's SMTP server thru another ISP's address space (which
    could happen if you're not connecting from YOUR wireless LAN), the server
    refuses you connection.

    With the problem of open SMTP servers being used to relay spam (last years spam
    distribution technique), most responsible ISPs have setup their SMTP servers to
    only send email from connections in their address space. So you can only send
    email thru your ISP's server when you are connecting to the internet thru your
    ISP - thru your LAN, or others who happen to use your ISP also.

    Assuming that the ISP servicing the LAN in question also provides SMTP
    authenticating by IP address, you would simply have to find out the name of the
    SMTP server for that ISP, and configure it into your email client. You should
    be able then to send email.

    Cheers,
    Chuck

    HI Chuck

    I totally agree with the nice explanation given by u for the email proble
    however referring to the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 329918 It also
    depends if u r acessing internet Behind a NAT router ,which being used for
    internet connection sharing in that case some setting have to vbe made at
    the NAT router end also.T-N if u know such configuration please let me know
    we have some other settings on the devices that we can make

    vivek

    Truth Is Out There-----------------------------------

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:18:41 +0530, "vivek" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

    >HI Chuck
    >
    >I totally agree with the nice explanation given by u for the email proble
    >however referring to the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 329918 It also
    >depends if u r acessing internet Behind a NAT router ,which being used for
    >internet connection sharing in that case some setting have to vbe made at
    >the NAT router end also.T-N if u know such configuration please let me know
    >we have some other settings on the devices that we can make
    >
    >vivek

    Vivek,

    That is a problem with specific NAT routers, and the problem will be common to
    all users of the LAN in question. Hopefully, that problem should be noticed,
    and resolved, by the owner of the LAN, without the involvement of Somebody like
    T-N connecting his wireless computer.

    From the wording of T-N's complaint, I was thinking that he was referring to
    other people's LANs from which he could not send email. If that's his LAN that
    he's having a problem with, that's another story.

    Cheers,
    Chuck

Wireless Network Connection Wireless Networking