wireless network connection

OK so I know I'm a rookie but why is it that when I'm on some wireless network connection and on some LAN connections I can receive my mail, surf the web but I can't send my mail. On others it works fine. Is it a setting on my computer that I can change or is it a setting on their systems?

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:26:06 -0700, T-N <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>OK so I know I'm a rookie but why is it that when I'm on some wireless network connection and on some LAN connections I can receive my mail, surf the web but I can't send my mail. On others it works fine. Is it a setting on my computer that I can change or is it a setting on their systems?

If you're referring to using different wireless LANs to connect to the internet
and use services, I would suspect that it depends upon the ISP providing the
internet service to the LAN in question.

Surfing the internet is a basic service that is provided to everybody who
connects to an ISP.

When you receive email, you connect to your ISP's POP server. You probably
authenticate with a username and password. Your ISP lets you connect to their
POP server from any internet connection, since you are authenticating with the
userid and password setup in their system.

When you send email, you try and connect to your ISP's SMTP server. SMTP
servers don't always authenticate connection just with userid and password, some
ISPs set them up to authenticate by IP address of connection being made. If you
try to connect to your ISP's SMTP server thru another ISP's address space (which
could happen if you're not connecting from YOUR wireless LAN), the server
refuses you connection.

With the problem of open SMTP servers being used to relay spam (last years spam
distribution technique), most responsible ISPs have setup their SMTP servers to
only send email from connections in their address space. So you can only send
email thru your ISP's server when you are connecting to the internet thru your
ISP - thru your LAN, or others who happen to use your ISP also.

Assuming that the ISP servicing the LAN in question also provides SMTP
authenticating by IP address, you would simply have to find out the name of the
SMTP server for that ISP, and configure it into your email client. You should
be able then to send email.

Cheers,
Chuck

HI Chuck

I totally agree with the nice explanation given by u for the email proble
however referring to the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 329918 It also
depends if u r acessing internet Behind a NAT router ,which being used for
internet connection sharing in that case some setting have to vbe made at
the NAT router end also.T-N if u know such configuration please let me know
we have some other settings on the devices that we can make

vivek

Truth Is Out There-----------------------------------

"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 10 May 2004 17:26:06 -0700, T-N
<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >OK so I know I'm a rookie but why is it that when I'm on some wireless
network connection and on some LAN connections I can receive my mail, surf
the web but I can't send my mail. On others it works fine. Is it a setting
on my computer that I can change or is it a setting on their systems?

> If you're referring to using different wireless LANs to connect to the
internet
> and use services, I would suspect that it depends upon the ISP providing
the
> internet service to the LAN in question.
>
> Surfing the internet is a basic service that is provided to everybody who
> connects to an ISP.
>
> When you receive email, you connect to your ISP's POP server. You
probably
> authenticate with a username and password. Your ISP lets you connect to
their
> POP server from any internet connection, since you are authenticating with
the
> userid and password setup in their system.
>
> When you send email, you try and connect to your ISP's SMTP server. SMTP
> servers don't always authenticate connection just with userid and
password, some
> ISPs set them up to authenticate by IP address of connection being made.
If you
> try to connect to your ISP's SMTP server thru another ISP's address space
(which
> could happen if you're not connecting from YOUR wireless LAN), the server
> refuses you connection.
>
> With the problem of open SMTP servers being used to relay spam (last years
spam
> distribution technique), most responsible ISPs have setup their SMTP
servers to
> only send email from connections in their address space. So you can only
send
> email thru your ISP's server when you are connecting to the internet thru
your
> ISP - thru your LAN, or others who happen to use your ISP also.
>
> Assuming that the ISP servicing the LAN in question also provides SMTP
> authenticating by IP address, you would simply have to find out the name
of the
> SMTP server for that ISP, and configure it into your email client. You
should
> be able then to send email.
>
> Cheers,
> Chuck
> Paranoia comes from experience - and is not necessarily a bad thing.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

On Wed, 12 May 2004 12:18:41 +0530, "vivek" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

>HI Chuck
>
>I totally agree with the nice explanation given by u for the email proble
>however referring to the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 329918 It also
>depends if u r acessing internet Behind a NAT router ,which being used for
>internet connection sharing in that case some setting have to vbe made at
>the NAT router end also.T-N if u know such configuration please let me know
>we have some other settings on the devices that we can make
>
>vivek

Vivek,

That is a problem with specific NAT routers, and the problem will be common to
all users of the LAN in question. Hopefully, that problem should be noticed,
and resolved, by the owner of the LAN, without the involvement of Somebody like
T-N connecting his wireless computer.

From the wording of T-N's complaint, I was thinking that he was referring to
other people's LANs from which he could not send email. If that's his LAN that
he's having a problem with, that's another story.

Cheers,
Chuck