New version 4.6 Catalyst Drivers out at ATI site

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 10, 2004 1:28:51 AM

New catalyst drivers, control panel and WDM drivers v4.6 released today, now
out at ATI site.

Russell
http://tastycomputers.com
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 10, 2004 1:28:52 AM

So far so good for me, except for something they mentioned themselves in the
release notes that I ignored and has unfortunately ended up becoming quite a
nuisance.

--from the release notes--

"Adobe Gamma and other colour calibration software now have the ability to
adjust their independent gamma values. Note: In certain situations when
closing the application, the default desktop gamma is not restored. "

--
Tony DiMarzio
djtone81@hotmail.com

"Russell" <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith"."> wrote in
message news:niLxc.1498$eu.885@attbi_s02...
> New catalyst drivers, control panel and WDM drivers v4.6 released today,
now
> out at ATI site.
>
> Russell
> http://tastycomputers.com

June 10, 2004 11:08:53 AM

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:28:51 GMT, "Russell"
<rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith"."> wrote:

>New catalyst drivers, control panel and WDM drivers v4.6 released today, now
>out at ATI site.

They screw up my car graphics in Toca Race Driver 2, back to 4.4 for
me :-(
a b \ Driver
June 10, 2004 3:02:22 PM

yeeehhaaa! The first drivers since 3.7 that work properly with IL2...

Marginally faster in 3DMark03 (like 6200 vs 6120 with 4.4)

Tony DiMarzio wrote:
> So far so good for me, except for something they mentioned themselves
> in the release notes that I ignored and has unfortunately ended up
> becoming quite a nuisance.
>
> --from the release notes--

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 10, 2004 4:47:40 PM

Sham B left a note on my windscreen which said:

> yeeehhaaa! The first drivers since 3.7 that work properly with IL2...
>
> Marginally faster in 3DMark03 (like 6200 vs 6120 with 4.4)

Any word if these fix the flickering shadow problems in Thief: Deadly
Shadows which occur on the 4.5 version?
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
June 10, 2004 5:15:51 PM

I thought I read some place that this was a game issue not a video card
thing.

"Stoneskin" <no@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Sham B left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
> > yeeehhaaa! The first drivers since 3.7 that work properly with IL2...
> >
> > Marginally faster in 3DMark03 (like 6200 vs 6120 with 4.4)
>
> Any word if these fix the flickering shadow problems in Thief: Deadly
> Shadows which occur on the 4.5 version?
> --
> Stoneskin
>
> [Insert sig text here]
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 10, 2004 6:12:59 PM

"Andrew" <spamtrap@localhost> wrote in message
> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:28:51 GMT, "Russell"
> <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith"."> wrote:
>
> >New catalyst drivers, control panel and WDM drivers v4.6 released today,
now
> >out at ATI site.
>
> They screw up my car graphics in Toca Race Driver 2, back to 4.4 for
> me :-(

is there a no-cd / dvd patch out for that yet ?
June 10, 2004 6:32:07 PM

Stoneskin <no@thanks.com> wrote in news:MPG.1b325aba2c3ca42b989861
@news.individual.net:

> Sham B left a note on my windscreen which said:
>
>> yeeehhaaa! The first drivers since 3.7 that work properly with IL2...
>>
>> Marginally faster in 3DMark03 (like 6200 vs 6120 with 4.4)
>
> Any word if these fix the flickering shadow problems in Thief: Deadly
> Shadows which occur on the 4.5 version?

Haven't tried myself, but I've heard from multiple people that it does not
fix them.

*sigh*
June 10, 2004 7:06:52 PM

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:28:51 GMT, "Russell"
<rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith"."> wrote:

>New catalyst drivers, control panel and WDM drivers v4.6 released today, now
>out at ATI site.
>
>Russell
>http://tastycomputers.com

If you're going to annouce it, do it right.. :)

Here's the complete list of changes:

New Features

User Defined Component Video HDTV Modes:
The CATALYST 4.5 driver provided a new interface that allows users to
define the optimized modes for their HDTV's. This allows for images to
be properly centered on their HDTV. The interface allows users specify
a mode through a test window. Once the user saves this information, it
will be saved as a user defined preference. This feature was not
available in 4.5 and is now enabled.

OpenGL Hardware Acceleration for ATI Rotation
OpenGL Hardware Acceleration for ATI Rotation Mode. This feature is
supported across the current shipping ATI Desktop product line, and is
supported under both Windows XP, and Windows 2000.

Performance Improvements
As with most CATALYST™ releases performance has increased in various
situations. The following performance gains are noticed:

Pixel Shader compiler improvements bring significant performance gains
to PS 2.0 applications such as Halo (2-3%), Tomb Raider (4-5%) and
Mother Nature (4-5%). ShaderMark 2 shows numerous gains in the 3-6%
range. The High Dynamic Range scenes in ShaderMark (Tests 20 & 21)
gain 10-15%.

RADEON X800 driver tuning improves performance for several
Vertex-Shader-heavy tests. For example, Battle of Proxycon, Troll's
Lair and Mother Nature gain 9-15% on the RADEON X800 PRO.

Improvements in our surface allocation and texture management code
have increased performance for resource-challenged cases. Re-Volt
scores improve 25% at 1600x1200 across several RADEON configurations.
ShaderMark Test 14 (Veined Marble) improves dramatically (up 380% at
1600x1200) on some 256MB products.

Improvements in OpenGL driver efficiency bring numerous small gains
(1-3%) in Call of Duty, Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory, Star Trek -
Elite Force II, Serious Sam, Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Quake
III Arena.

X800 memory tuning improves Anti-Aliasing performance in a number of
games and benchmarks. For example, at 4xAA, 3DMark2001 gains 4-7%,
UT2003 Antalus and Asbestos Flybys improve 2-7%, and the CodeCreatures
score rises 15%.

Issues Resolved in CATALYST™ Version 4.6
The following section provides a summary of the issues that have been
resolved in the latest release of CATALYST™ 4.6. These include:

Display corruption is no longer seen when rotating the primary desktop
90 degrees or 180 degrees under Windows 2000 with extended desktop
enabled

Display corruption is no longer seen when running the ATI demo Dolphin
v1.1 with the Truform option set to Application Preference

The operating system no longer fails to respond when doing a monitor
swap while running an overlay image on the secondary display

Rotating a display of 1024x768 60Hz followed by entering standby mode
no longer results in display corruption being seen briefly when
resuming

Using the ATI icon in the system tray or using a hotkey stroke to
rotate the display image no longer results in the operating system
intermittently failing to respond for approximately 90 seconds

Playing a DVD with DXVA enabled and attempting to rotate the display
90 degrees no longer results in the operating system failing to
respond

Moving an OpenGL window around the Windows desktop no longer results
in the operating system intermittently failing to respond

Resolved Game Issues
This section provides information on game issues that have been
resolved in the latest release of CATALYST™. These include the
following:

While playing the game Halo, under certain conditions, images that
should be hidden behind solid foreground objects are no longer showing
through

Starting a game of Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow under Windows XP
with an ATI RADEON 9000 PRO installed and the display set to 1024x768
and the graphics quality set to high no longer results in flickering
textures

Display corruption is no longer seen when using particular air craft
in "Century of Flight" games found in Flight Simulator 2004

Textures are now applied correctly in the game Silent Storm when
setting the resolution to 1024x768 32bpp and the quality option set to
high

Enabling AF to 8x and running the game Battlefield Vietnam with the
graphics set to high and the display set to 1280x1024 32bpp no longer
results in display corruption being seen at a certain point of the
game

The display menu for the game 4x4 EVO 2 is now available when the
rotation option is used to set the display to 180 degrees

Circular grid corruption is no longer seen when launching World Fables
under Windows XP with Anti-Aliasing enabled at 4X

The Windows XP operating system no longer intermittently fails to
respond when restarting the game Homeworld 2

Adobe Gamma and other colour calibration software now have the ability
to adjust their independent gamma values. Note: In certain situations
when closing the application, the default desktop gamma is not
restored.

Resolved Application Issues
This section provides information on application issues that have been
resolved in the latest release of CATALYST™. These include the
following:

The wireframe in edit UVWs is now drawn correctly after zooming in on
an object in 3ds max

Running Solidworks 2004 under Windows XP and dragging the
grapicstest2004.sldprt window to a secondary display no longer results
in the planes being highlighted after the mouse is moved off the plane

The Solidworks 2004/SP3 application no longer fails to respond when
opening the shaderstest.sldasm test with Real View enabled

Enabling extended desktop followed by setting the display resolution
to 1280x1024 on the secondary display adapter no longer results in the
application ProEngineer terminating

Pluvious
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 10, 2004 7:48:12 PM

Wookie left a note on my windscreen which said:

> I thought I read some place that this was a game issue not a video card
> thing.

All I can say is that the problem went away when I downgraded to Cat
version 4.4 from 4.5.
--
Stoneskin

[Insert sig text here]
June 10, 2004 9:20:44 PM

> Any word if these fix the flickering shadow problems in Thief: Deadly
> Shadows which occur on the 4.5 version?

I'm getting some flickering light issues with 4.6 and a new install of
TDS, so there's a problem somewhere!

rms
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 10, 2004 10:14:57 PM

Hey thanks Pluvious for taking time to post these for us lazy peopl here :)

-snip-
> Display corruption is no longer seen when using particular air craft
> in "Century of Flight" games found in Flight Simulator 2004
Yipee!!!

> The wireframe in edit UVWs is now drawn correctly after zooming in on
> an object in 3ds max
Wow.. finally..
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 11, 2004 2:26:16 AM

What is the safest way to install the new drivers. Can I just install over top
of the old ones? Thanks for any help

Don
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 11, 2004 3:12:35 AM

What is the difference between this and the one that came with MMC9.0?
Can this file be installed without screwing up the MMC 9.0 setup ?
Whats new in this release ?
Thanks.

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:28:51 GMT, "Russell"
<rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith"."> wrote:

>New catalyst drivers, control panel and WDM drivers v4.6 released today, now
>out at ATI site.
>
>Russell
>http://tastycomputers.com

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 11, 2004 3:14:24 AM

Please can this be installed without screwing up the MMC9.0?
Thanks.

On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:28:51 GMT, "Russell"
<rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith"."> wrote:

>New catalyst drivers, control panel and WDM drivers v4.6 released today, now
>out at ATI site.
>
>Russell
>http://tastycomputers.com

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 11, 2004 3:23:08 AM

The safest way is to follow the ATI instructions, uninstall the
display drivers.

Ak

dwest1023@aol.com (DWest1023) wrote:

>What is the safest way to install the new drivers. Can I just install over top
>of the old ones? Thanks for any help
>

> Don

June 11, 2004 6:44:59 AM

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:14:57 GMT, "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
.. n o> wrote:

>Hey thanks Pluvious for taking time to post these for us lazy peopl here :)

No prob. .. I went to ATI's site to try to find the change log
(without downloading them yet) and couldn't find it. So I assumed most
people havn't seen it unless its AFTER they install them which is a
bit late if you ask me. :)

Driverheaven.com releases ALL the info when new drivers come for ATI,
in the main news section. Very handy.

Pluvious
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 11, 2004 10:45:42 AM

That would be www.driverheaven.net. The .com link sends you to a bible site
with popups.

Regards,
John O.

"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:14:57 GMT, "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
> . n o> wrote:
>
> >Hey thanks Pluvious for taking time to post these for us lazy peopl here
:)

> No prob. .. I went to ATI's site to try to find the change log
> (without downloading them yet) and couldn't find it. So I assumed most
> people havn't seen it unless its AFTER they install them which is a
> bit late if you ask me. :)
>
> Driverheaven.com releases ALL the info when new drivers come for ATI,
> in the main news section. Very handy.
>

> Pluvious

June 11, 2004 7:45:21 PM

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:45:42 -0400, "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote:

>That would be www.driverheaven.net. The .com link sends you to a bible site
>with popups.
>
>Regards,
>John O.

WHOA.. sorry about that. I didn't mean to send you there, sounds like
hell.

Pluvious

>"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 18:14:57 GMT, "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
>> . n o> wrote:
>>
>> >Hey thanks Pluvious for taking time to post these for us lazy peopl here
>:)
>> >

>> No prob. .. I went to ATI's site to try to find the change log
>> (without downloading them yet) and couldn't find it. So I assumed most
>> people havn't seen it unless its AFTER they install them which is a
>> bit late if you ask me. :)
>>
>> Driverheaven.com releases ALL the info when new drivers come for ATI,
>> in the main news section. Very handy.
>>

>> Pluvious

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 11, 2004 9:31:18 PM

Well something rather ironic and annoying and surprising about a site such
as that which has a number of popups. Not likely to encourage return visits.
But your comment brought a grin...

> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:45:42 -0400, "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote:
>
> >That would be www.driverheaven.net. The .com link sends you to a bible
site
> >with popups.
> >
> >Regards,
> >John O.
> >

> WHOA.. sorry about that. I didn't mean to send you there, sounds like
> hell.
>
> Pluvious
>

> >"Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> wrote in message

> >:)
> >> >

> >> No prob. .. I went to ATI's site to try to find the change log
> >> (without downloading them yet) and couldn't find it. So I assumed most
> >> people havn't seen it unless its AFTER they install them which is a
> >> bit late if you ask me. :)
> >>
> >> Driverheaven.com releases ALL the info when new drivers come for ATI,
> >> in the main news section. Very handy.
> >>

> >> Pluvious

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 11, 2004 10:06:38 PM

Andrew,

Does the TOCA problem occur when you enabled the mirrors? If so, that's the
exact problem I'm having. (Currently using the latest Omega Driver).

Do you also run GPL? If so, how are the 4.4's with that title. I have yet to
find a video driver that works well with both GPL and TOCA...

Bert

Andrew wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 21:28:51 GMT, "Russell"
> <rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replacedotwith"."> wrote:
>
> >New catalyst drivers, control panel and WDM drivers v4.6 released today, now
> >out at ATI site.
>
> They screw up my car graphics in Toca Race Driver 2, back to 4.4 for
> me :-(
> --
> Andrew. To email unscramble nrc@gurjevgrzrboivbhf.pbz & remove spamtrap.
> please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevant text.
> Check groups.google.com before asking a question.
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
June 11, 2004 11:17:52 PM

DWest1023 wrote:

> What is the safest way to install the new drivers. Can I just install over top
> of the old ones? Thanks for any help
>
> Don

Safe reasonable and expediant are diff things

99.9% of people have no prob installing over top of the older versions.

Gordon
June 12, 2004 9:42:55 AM

On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 18:06:38 -0400, BRH
<"bhoenig<no-spam>"@comcast.net> wrote:

>Does the TOCA problem occur when you enabled the mirrors? If so, that's the
>exact problem I'm having. (Currently using the latest Omega Driver).

I have everything enabled. I only tried it very briefly and from the
external view most of my car disappeared. I didn't try the internal
view (although that is what I usually use). Going back to 4.4 and all
is well.

>Do you also run GPL? If so, how are the 4.4's with that title. I have yet to
>find a video driver that works well with both GPL and TOCA...

I tried the remixed demo of GPL that came out recently on 3dgamers and
it worked fine with 4.4.
a b \ Driver
June 12, 2004 12:04:22 PM

Quoth The Raven "Pluvious" <Pluvious@knowhere.com> in
frkjc0pvrvvka113rv9babl5m2mtcgufhf@4ax.com
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 06:45:42 -0400, "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote:
>
> >That would be www.driverheaven.net. The .com link sends you to a
> >bible site with popups.
> >
> >Regards,
> >John O.
> >

> WHOA.. sorry about that. I didn't mean to send you there, sounds like
> hell.
>
> Pluvious

yeah that's worse than that goatse site

--
After all is said and done, usually more is said than done.

Take out the _CURSEING to reply to me
!