Can't install standard VGA driver...

Hi NG!

I bought a X800 earlier that day. And for the first time ever I used the CAT
uninstaller. After rebooting I tried to install standard VGA drivers as
usual, but my WinXP says that it doesn't find a suitable driver - so I end
up with the "vga save" drivers. When trying to install the ATI drivers the
installer tells me that no driver is found and that I should install
standard VGA drivers.
So I am at a dead end now. How can I fix that problem? Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 01:30:01 +0200, "Christian Atteneder"
<christian.atteneder@aon.at> wrote:

>Hi NG!
>
>I bought a X800 earlier that day. And for the first time ever I used the CAT
>uninstaller. After rebooting I tried to install standard VGA drivers as
>usual, but my WinXP says that it doesn't find a suitable driver - so I end
>up with the "vga save" drivers. When trying to install the ATI drivers the
>installer tells me that no driver is found and that I should install
>standard VGA drivers.
>So I am at a dead end now. How can I fix that problem? Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Chris

You shouldn't let XP look for the drivers, Chris. Cancel out of the
new hardware wizard and Windows should install the the appropriate
Standard VGA drivers by default.

Did you use the cat-uninstaller before you uninstalled the Ati
software/drivers? Best to uninstall everything first, reboot and
_then_ use the uninstaller to clean out your system. The Catalyst
display driver uninstall always seems to make sure the right VGA
drivers are in place after you use it - the uninstaller is basically a
cleaner and won't do that..

patrickp

I know that problem well!
Theres a few things that make you go into VGA save:

Bios AGP drivers got corrupted (reinstall)
Card has been disabled due to a previous problem (you need to re-enable it and better drivers may
be picked up)

Search on vgaSave on the search pages, you will see that a lot of people have been there! Whatever
you do, *dont* try to uninstall the vgasafe drivers. Its windows last ditch 'when all else fails'
way of making sure you still have a working video card, so you should not try to remove them, only
try to get windows to replace them (which can be difficult, as you are prolly finding!).

Usually, when I get into this problem, I just give up and do an XP repair reinstall. You get the MS
radeon drivers installed at the end of the install, and the catalysts always install succesfully
over the top of it because its a minimum driver.
You can occasionally also get round it by forcing windows to load up with VGA drivers (keep pressing
f8 when windows starts loading). sometimes it comes up with 'proper' vga drivers, but half the time
I find its the same old vgasafes, and thats about when I reach for the XP installation disk :)