No Firewire image 8500DV

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

I have the ATI 8500 AIW DV and the DCR-TRV50 DV Cam.
My image shows up as a black screen when capturing with the ilink/firewire
with any capture program. The camera controls are there and working in the
program. The screen will flicker from blue to black when the camera is
turned on.

USB capture works fine just low quality image.

I have downloaded all the latest drivers.

The programs I use:
Windows Movie maker
Ulead Movie factory
Dazzle
Imagemixer

WinXp home/amd 2600/1gb mem

Any tips/advice appreciated....

Tony wrote:

> I have the ATI 8500 AIW DV and the DCR-TRV50 DV Cam.
> My image shows up as a black screen when capturing with the ilink/firewire
> with any capture program. The camera controls are there and working in the
> program. The screen will flicker from blue to black when the camera is
> turned on.
>
> USB capture works fine just low quality image.
>
> I have downloaded all the latest drivers.
>
> The programs I use:
> Windows Movie maker
> Ulead Movie factory
> Dazzle
> Imagemixer
>
> WinXp home/amd 2600/1gb mem
>
> Any tips/advice appreciated....

is overlay enabled?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Is overlay enabled? Do you mean within the program"

I set up another xp box with the Radeon 7500 and the camera (DCR-TRV50)
works fine with firewire so now I have the tedious task of trying to find
out what exactly is causing my firewire capture not to work on my main
system.

Tony wrote:

> Is overlay enabled? Do you mean within the program"
>
> I set up another xp box with the Radeon 7500 and the camera (DCR-TRV50)
> works fine with firewire so now I have the tedious task of trying to find
> out what exactly is causing my firewire capture not to work on my main
> system.
>
> "Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Tony wrote:
> > >
> > > I have the ATI 8500 AIW DV and the DCR-TRV50 DV Cam.
> > > My image shows up as a black screen when capturing with the
> ilink/firewire
> > > with any capture program. The camera controls are there and working in
> the
> > > program. The screen will flicker from blue to black when the camera is
> > > turned on.
> > >
> > > USB capture works fine just low quality image.
> > >
> > > I have downloaded all the latest drivers.
> > >
> > > The programs I use:
> > > Windows Movie maker
> > > Ulead Movie factory
> > > Dazzle
> > > Imagemixer
> > >
> > > WinXp home/amd 2600/1gb mem
> > >
> > > Any tips/advice appreciated....
> >
> > is overlay enabled?

Did it ever work?
Is this a new install?
NEW drivers arent necessarilly the best, I use CAT 3.10 and MMC 8.6 on my
8500dv
Are you using the ATI firewire on the dongle?
What motherboard and chipset are you using?
Is the tiny switch on the ATI card set to enable the firewire ports/port.
http://www.ati.com/support/connectors/aiwradeon8500dv/connectorsaiwradeon8500dvfirewiredisable.html

There is also a power lead on the card for powering things that need
power thru firewire, tho it isnt always needed. ATI's manual faq and tech
guides for the 8500dv talk about these.
Have you tried different sequences of camera on then connect, camera off
then connect then launch your capture app etc etc.

http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon8500/aiwradeon8500dvissues.html
http://www.ati.com/support/faq/index.html

Gordon

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

This setup did work for a few months....
Not a new install..
I unloaded all of the ATI drivers using the Catalyst removal tool and
installed Cat 3.0 and MMC 8.6 and got the same result, Black Screen.
I'm using the Asus A7N8X Deluxe w/NVIDIA..
I use the dongle as well as the boards firewire port
The switch 1 is in the up (on) postion on the card.
Switch 2 is in the off position. I've tried 2 in the on as well.

> Tony wrote:
> >
> > Is overlay enabled? Do you mean within the program"
> >
> > I set up another xp box with the Radeon 7500 and the camera (DCR-TRV50)
> > works fine with firewire so now I have the tedious task of trying to
find
> > out what exactly is causing my firewire capture not to work on my main
> > system.
> >
> > "Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message

> > ilink/firewire
> > the

> > > is overlay enabled?
>
> Did it ever work?
> Is this a new install?
> NEW drivers arent necessarilly the best, I use CAT 3.10 and MMC 8.6 on my
> 8500dv
> Are you using the ATI firewire on the dongle?
> What motherboard and chipset are you using?
> Is the tiny switch on the ATI card set to enable the firewire ports/port.

http://www.ati.com/support/connectors/aiwradeon8500dv/connectorsaiwradeon8500dvfirewiredisable.html

> There is also a power lead on the card for powering things that need
> power thru firewire, tho it isnt always needed. ATI's manual faq and tech
> guides for the 8500dv talk about these.
> Have you tried different sequences of camera on then connect, camera off
> then connect then launch your capture app etc etc.

http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon8500/aiwradeon8500dvissues.html
> http://www.ati.com/support/faq/index.html
>
> Gordon

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I had similar troubles with my 8500DV and Nvidia chipset MB. I suspected
that the XP FW Video driver was not communicating properly between the
camera and the FW chip on the 8500DV. May have been confused by the
presence of FW capability on the Nvidia southbridge, who knows? Anyway,
after a month of frustration, I ended up buying a $20 PCI FW card with a VIA
chip and it worked first try. Good Luck!

"Tony" <ty976@tgar.com> wrote in message
> Is overlay enabled? Do you mean within the program"
>

> I set up another xp box with the Radeon 7500 and the camera (DCR-TRV50)
> works fine with firewire so now I have the tedious task of trying to find
> out what exactly is causing my firewire capture not to work on my main
> system.
>

> "Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Tony wrote:
> > >
> > > I have the ATI 8500 AIW DV and the DCR-TRV50 DV Cam.
> > > My image shows up as a black screen when capturing with the
> ilink/firewire
> > > with any capture program. The camera controls are there and working in
> the
> > > program. The screen will flicker from blue to black when the camera is
> > > turned on.
> > >
> > > USB capture works fine just low quality image.
> > >
> > > I have downloaded all the latest drivers.
> > >
> > > The programs I use:
> > > Windows Movie maker
> > > Ulead Movie factory
> > > Dazzle
> > > Imagemixer
> > >
> > > WinXp home/amd 2600/1gb mem
> > >
> > > Any tips/advice appreciated....
> >
> > is overlay enabled?

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Thanks for the info. I'll give a shot and reply back...

Tony wrote:

> This setup did work for a few months....
> Not a new install..
> I unloaded all of the ATI drivers using the Catalyst removal tool and
> installed Cat 3.0 and MMC 8.6 and got the same result, Black Screen.
> I'm using the Asus A7N8X Deluxe w/NVIDIA..
> I use the dongle as well as the boards firewire port
> The switch 1 is in the up (on) postion on the card.
> Switch 2 is in the off position. I've tried 2 in the on as well.
>
> "Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Tony wrote:
> > >
> > > Is overlay enabled? Do you mean within the program"
> > >
> > > I set up another xp box with the Radeon 7500 and the camera (DCR-TRV50)
> > > works fine with firewire so now I have the tedious task of trying to
> find
> > > out what exactly is causing my firewire capture not to work on my main
> > > system.
> > >
> > > "Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message

> > > ilink/firewire
> in
> > > the
> is

> > Did it ever work?
> > Is this a new install?
> > NEW drivers arent necessarilly the best, I use CAT 3.10 and MMC 8.6 on my
> > 8500dv
> > Are you using the ATI firewire on the dongle?
> > What motherboard and chipset are you using?
> > Is the tiny switch on the ATI card set to enable the firewire ports/port.
> >
> http://www.ati.com/support/connectors/aiwradeon8500dv/connectorsaiwradeon8500dvfirewiredisable.html
> >
> > There is also a power lead on the card for powering things that need
> > power thru firewire, tho it isnt always needed. ATI's manual faq and tech
> > guides for the 8500dv talk about these.
> > Have you tried different sequences of camera on then connect, camera off
> > then connect then launch your capture app etc etc.
> >

> http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon8500/aiwradeon8500dvissues.html
> > http://www.ati.com/support/faq/index.html
> >
> > Gordon

I have the exact board rev2, actually i use the audigy firewire port, as
I have found irq sharing/conflicts with the ati firewire and graphics
card, odd since they are both ati, anyway I have tons of firewire
choices, so i disabled the ati firewire and just use the soundcards.

Tony wrote:

> This setup did work for a few months....
> Not a new install..
> I unloaded all of the ATI drivers using the Catalyst removal tool and
> installed Cat 3.0 and MMC 8.6 and got the same result, Black Screen.
> I'm using the Asus A7N8X Deluxe w/NVIDIA..
> I use the dongle as well as the boards firewire port
> The switch 1 is in the up (on) postion on the card.
> Switch 2 is in the off position. I've tried 2 in the on as well.
>
> "Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
> > Tony wrote:
> > >
> > > Is overlay enabled? Do you mean within the program"
> > >
> > > I set up another xp box with the Radeon 7500 and the camera (DCR-TRV50)
> > > works fine with firewire so now I have the tedious task of trying to
> find
> > > out what exactly is causing my firewire capture not to work on my main
> > > system.
> > >
> > > "Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message

> > > ilink/firewire
> in
> > > the
> is

> > Did it ever work?
> > Is this a new install?
> > NEW drivers arent necessarilly the best, I use CAT 3.10 and MMC 8.6 on my
> > 8500dv
> > Are you using the ATI firewire on the dongle?
> > What motherboard and chipset are you using?
> > Is the tiny switch on the ATI card set to enable the firewire ports/port.
> >
> http://www.ati.com/support/connectors/aiwradeon8500dv/connectorsaiwradeon8500dvfirewiredisable.html
> >
> > There is also a power lead on the card for powering things that need
> > power thru firewire, tho it isnt always needed. ATI's manual faq and tech
> > guides for the 8500dv talk about these.
> > Have you tried different sequences of camera on then connect, camera off
> > then connect then launch your capture app etc etc.
> >

> http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon8500/aiwradeon8500dvissues.html
> > http://www.ati.com/support/faq/index.html
> >
> > Gordon

oh I also use the forceware chipset drivers not microsofts

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Could not remedy the problem no matter what I tried so I purchased a generic
firewire (pci) card and now my capture works fine.

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 01:29:57 GMT, "Tony" <ty976@tgar.com> wrote:

>Could not remedy the problem no matter what I tried so I purchased a generic
>firewire (pci) card and now my capture works fine.
>

>"Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message
>> Tony wrote:
>> >
>> > This setup did work for a few months....
>> > Not a new install..
>> > I unloaded all of the ATI drivers using the Catalyst removal tool and
>> > installed Cat 3.0 and MMC 8.6 and got the same result, Black Screen.
>> > I'm using the Asus A7N8X Deluxe w/NVIDIA..
>> > I use the dongle as well as the boards firewire port
>> > The switch 1 is in the up (on) postion on the card.
>> > Switch 2 is in the off position. I've tried 2 in the on as well.
>> >
>> > "Gordon Scott" <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message

>(DCR-TRV50)
>> > find
>main

>working
>> > in
>camera
>> > is

>my
>ports/port.
>> > >

>http://www.ati.com/support/connectors/aiwradeon8500dv/connectorsaiwradeon8500dvfirewiredisable.html

>tech
>off
>> > >

>http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/radeon8500/aiwradeon8500dvissues.html

>> oh I also use the forceware chipset drivers not microsofts

I just wanted to chime in too. Way back, my dad his 8500DV when it
came out. So I install it in his Dell machine. It replaced a
Geforce2 GTS. Anyways, his machine wouldn;t even post with that card
in it. So I looked around the internet and found out about those dip
switches.

I switched them off and boom, post'd with no problems. it's been
runnign great for the last 4 years, jsut without the firewire port
working. he still ended up buying a firewire pci card.

I guess the power supply couldn't handle the added firewire on the
card?