HL2, the 'stutters'... my turn :-

Ok. Playing in 1280x1024. With one CPU in my rig, HL2 doesn't do this
stuttering bit. Yes, it does a momentary thing when 're-entering' the
game with a LOADING level. That's different. This one is new to me,
and I've not seen it described this way yet.

For instance, in Entanglement, when Alyx has located her dad, Eli, and
brought him to the window to talk with him, have both Eli and Alyx in
the field of view. Sound stutters badly, animation becomes a slideshow,
response to keyboard and mouse is delayed. Turn away from one or both,
things smooth out. This happens anytime Alyx is centered 'in the
picture' but not so bad until there is another high-poly character in
the scene.

Base rig:
Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000G (865PE chipset), 2 x 512meg Xerox PC3200+ (dual
channel), eVGA 6800 with NV67.02 driver, TB Santa Cruz. Win XP Pro SP2.

No stutter: P4-2.66 (Northwood) 533/512K L2, 1 gig PC3200 @ 166=333 DDR

Stutters: P4-3.0E (Prescott) 800/1m L2, 1 gig PC3200 @ 200=400 DDR

The 3.0E is also HT enabled, 2 cpu's show up in the device manager.

It's ironic to me that I put the newer faster CPU in and THEN I start
getting the stutters :)

McG.

DaveL

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2001

It's funny you mention this because I was starting to think the same thing.
I recently upgraded my ram which allowed me to overclock a lot higher.
Since then I noticed more problems with stuttering. I ran a HL2 benchmark
and I did get higher frame rates, but the game is more stutter prone. Maybe
it 's just a cooincedence and I happen to be in certain levels that have
more stuttering.

DaveL

> Ok. Playing in 1280x1024. With one CPU in my rig, HL2 doesn't do this
> stuttering bit. Yes, it does a momentary thing when 're-entering' the
> game with a LOADING level. That's different. This one is new to me,
> and I've not seen it described this way yet.
>
> For instance, in Entanglement, when Alyx has located her dad, Eli, and
> brought him to the window to talk with him, have both Eli and Alyx in
> the field of view. Sound stutters badly, animation becomes a slideshow,
> response to keyboard and mouse is delayed. Turn away from one or both,
> things smooth out. This happens anytime Alyx is centered 'in the
> picture' but not so bad until there is another high-poly character in
> the scene.
>
> Base rig:
> Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000G (865PE chipset), 2 x 512meg Xerox PC3200+ (dual
> channel), eVGA 6800 with NV67.02 driver, TB Santa Cruz. Win XP Pro SP2.
>
> No stutter: P4-2.66 (Northwood) 533/512K L2, 1 gig PC3200 @ 166=333 DDR
>
> Stutters: P4-3.0E (Prescott) 800/1m L2, 1 gig PC3200 @ 200=400 DDR
>
> The 3.0E is also HT enabled, 2 cpu's show up in the device manager.
>
> It's ironic to me that I put the newer faster CPU in and THEN I start
> getting the stutters :)
>
> McG.

Hmmm... I have played some levels now, and after a while the game
stops responding, and sound stutters in a loop. After a while movement
is back. Very annoying. Is this the same problem (comes in the middle
of levels, not just when loading)? Any settings I could change
(playing in 800x600 to get 42 fps with my Ti-4200 card :)

--
Lars-Erik - http://home.chello.no/~larse/ - ICQ # 7297605
Win98se, Asus P4PE, 2.53 GHz, Asus V8420 (Ti4200), SB-Live!

> Ok. Playing in 1280x1024. With one CPU in my rig, HL2 doesn't do this
> stuttering bit. Yes, it does a momentary thing when 're-entering' the
> game with a LOADING level. That's different. This one is new to me,
> and I've not seen it described this way yet.
>
> For instance, in Entanglement, when Alyx has located her dad, Eli, and
> brought him to the window to talk with him, have both Eli and Alyx in
> the field of view. Sound stutters badly, animation becomes a slideshow,
> response to keyboard and mouse is delayed. Turn away from one or both,
> things smooth out. This happens anytime Alyx is centered 'in the
> picture' but not so bad until there is another high-poly character in
> the scene.
>
> Base rig:
> Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000G (865PE chipset), 2 x 512meg Xerox PC3200+ (dual
> channel), eVGA 6800 with NV67.02 driver, TB Santa Cruz. Win XP Pro SP2.
>
> No stutter: P4-2.66 (Northwood) 533/512K L2, 1 gig PC3200 @ 166=333 DDR
>
> Stutters: P4-3.0E (Prescott) 800/1m L2, 1 gig PC3200 @ 200=400 DDR
>
> The 3.0E is also HT enabled, 2 cpu's show up in the device manager.
>
> It's ironic to me that I put the newer faster CPU in and THEN I start
> getting the stutters :)
>
> McG.

The specs for your 3Ghz machine are identical to mine, however, I'm using a
9800 Pro 128MB. I do get the occasional stutter (nothing more than a second)
but I've never experienced the weird slow down involving Alyx that you
mention. I know this doesn't help... but I posted anyway.

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:03:41 -0000, "The Berzerker"
<Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote:

>The specs for your 3Ghz machine are identical to mine, however, I'm using a
>9800 Pro 128MB. I do get the occasional stutter (nothing more than a second)
>but I've never experienced the weird slow down involving Alyx that you
>mention. I know this doesn't help... but I posted anyway.

It's not doing an autosave is it? Try pulling the console down, that
will tell you.
--
steve <AT> steveevans <DOT> org

Yep, and when it started, I remember the talk about Entanglement, and
just grimance and shake my head and keep going.
McG.

"Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
> Hmmm... I have played some levels now, and after a while the game
> stops responding, and sound stutters in a loop. After a while movement
> is back. Very annoying. Is this the same problem (comes in the middle
> of levels, not just when loading)? Any settings I could change
> (playing in 800x600 to get 42 fps with my Ti-4200 card :)

Right, it's in the middle of a level. Entanglement specifically.

You could lower sound quality maybe? Sound acceleration?

McG.

"The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message
>> Ok. Playing in 1280x1024. With one CPU in my rig, HL2 doesn't do
>> this stuttering bit. Yes, it does a momentary thing when
>> 're-entering' the game with a LOADING level. That's different.
>> This one is new to me, and I've not seen it described this way yet.
>>
>> For instance, in Entanglement, when Alyx has located her dad, Eli,
>> and brought him to the window to talk with him, have both Eli and
>> Alyx in the field of view. Sound stutters badly, animation becomes
>> a slideshow, response to keyboard and mouse is delayed. Turn away
>> from one or both, things smooth out. This happens anytime Alyx is
>> centered 'in the picture' but not so bad until there is another
>> high-poly character in the scene.
>>
>> Base rig:
>> Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000G (865PE chipset), 2 x 512meg Xerox PC3200+ (dual
>> channel), eVGA 6800 with NV67.02 driver, TB Santa Cruz. Win XP Pro
>> SP2.
>>
>> No stutter: P4-2.66 (Northwood) 533/512K L2, 1 gig PC3200 @ 166=333
>> DDR
>>
>> Stutters: P4-3.0E (Prescott) 800/1m L2, 1 gig PC3200 @ 200=400 DDR
>>
>> The 3.0E is also HT enabled, 2 cpu's show up in the device manager.
>>
>> It's ironic to me that I put the newer faster CPU in and THEN I start
>> getting the stutters :)
>>
>> McG.
>>

> The specs for your 3Ghz machine are identical to mine, however, I'm
> using a 9800 Pro 128MB. I do get the occasional stutter (nothing more
> than a second) but I've never experienced the weird slow down
> involving Alyx that you mention. I know this doesn't help... but I
> posted anyway.

I did NOT get it until I put the 3.0E in the rig. Weird huh? I didn't
get it with the Ti4600. I didn't get to try it on the 9800 Pro cause my
son made off with it. Left me the FX5900 with a bad fan too! Brat :)
So it's been just the Ti4600 and GF6800 for HL2. I'll work it out. I
think this might be tied to the hyperthreading.
McG.

"Steve Evans" <no@spam> wrote in message
> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:03:41 -0000, "The Berzerker"
> <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote:
>

>> The specs for your 3Ghz machine are identical to mine, however, I'm
>> using a 9800 Pro 128MB. I do get the occasional stutter (nothing
>> more than a second) but I've never experienced the weird slow down
>> involving Alyx that you mention. I know this doesn't help... but I
>> posted anyway.
>>

> It's not doing an autosave is it? Try pulling the console down, that
> will tell you.

no. I can make it happen and make it go normal. Just look at Alyx in
center of view. And Eli vance too a little, but not as much as Alyx.
McG.

:>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
:>> news:SlYBd.43424$yv2.16217@fe2.texas.rr.com...
:>>> Ok. Playing in 1280x1024. With one CPU in my rig, HL2 doesn't do
:>>> this stuttering bit. Yes, it does a momentary thing when
:>>> 're-entering' the game with a LOADING level. That's different.
:>>> This one is new to me, and I've not seen it described this way yet.
:>>>
[...]
:>>
:>> The specs for your 3Ghz machine are identical to mine, however, I'm
:>> using a 9800 Pro 128MB. I do get the occasional stutter (nothing more
:>> than a second) but I've never experienced the weird slow down
:>> involving Alyx that you mention. I know this doesn't help... but I
:>> posted anyway.
:>
:>I did NOT get it until I put the 3.0E in the rig. Weird huh? I didn't
:>get it with the Ti4600. I didn't get to try it on the 9800 Pro cause my
:>son made off with it. Left me the FX5900 with a bad fan too! Brat :)
:>So it's been just the Ti4600 and GF6800 for HL2. I'll work it out. I
:>think this might be tied to the hyperthreading.
:>McG.

A couple of things for you to check. First of all, not all 865PE
based motherboards support the Prescott core. Ssome can add support
with a BIOS upgrade but not all. Those have to be replaced. Have you
checked with the manufacturer of your motherboard? Second, there is
an update from Microsoft for XP SP2 to work correctly with a Prescott
CPU chip. Have you downloaded and installed that? Checking my notes
I believe it is Knowledge Base Article KB885626 that you want. If
that's not it do a search on XP SP2 and Prescott CPU chip.

I went through that process a few months back. In my case the 865PE
motherboard I had did not support Prescott and could not be updated.
I ended up having to replace it.

With a 3.20E Prescott @ 800 FSB, a gig of PC3200 ram in dual channel
mode, a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB video card, an Audigy 2 ZS sound card
and two 80GB Hitachi SATA hard drives running in Raid 0 I have never
had the infamous "stuttering issue". Everything is running at stock
speeds, no overclocking. On both this setup and my previous one which
was a 3.06 Northwood @ 533 FSB hyperthreading was turned on with no
issues so I don't think that in itself is the cause of your problem.

Good Luck,
me/2

"me/2" <null@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 01:03:23 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> "The Berzerker" <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote in message

>>> I did NOT get it until I put the 3.0E in the rig. Weird huh? I
>>> didn't get it with the Ti4600. I didn't get to try it on the 9800
>>> Pro cause my son made off with it. Left me the FX5900 with a bad
>>> fan too! Brat :) So it's been just the Ti4600 and GF6800 for HL2.
>>> I'll work it out. I think this might be tied to the hyperthreading.
>>> McG.
>
> A couple of things for you to check. First of all, not all 865PE
> based motherboards support the Prescott core. Ssome can add support
> with a BIOS upgrade but not all. Those have to be replaced. Have you
> checked with the manufacturer of your motherboard? Second, there is
> an update from Microsoft for XP SP2 to work correctly with a Prescott
> CPU chip. Have you downloaded and installed that? Checking my notes
> I believe it is Knowledge Base Article KB885626 that you want. If
> that's not it do a search on XP SP2 and Prescott CPU chip.
>
> I went through that process a few months back. In my case the 865PE
> motherboard I had did not support Prescott and could not be updated.
> I ended up having to replace it.
>
> With a 3.20E Prescott @ 800 FSB, a gig of PC3200 ram in dual channel
> mode, a Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB video card, an Audigy 2 ZS sound card
> and two 80GB Hitachi SATA hard drives running in Raid 0 I have never
> had the infamous "stuttering issue". Everything is running at stock
> speeds, no overclocking. On both this setup and my previous one which
> was a 3.06 Northwood @ 533 FSB hyperthreading was turned on with no
> issues so I don't think that in itself is the cause of your problem.
>
> Good Luck,
> me/2

Thanks, got that update and another one for SP2. I'll see what happens
in a mo!
McG.

snip!

>> A couple of things for you to check. First of all, not all 865PE
>> based motherboards support the Prescott core. Ssome can add support
>> with a BIOS upgrade but not all. Those have to be replaced. Have
>> you checked with the manufacturer of your motherboard? Second,
>> there is an update from Microsoft for XP SP2 to work correctly with
>> a Prescott CPU chip. Have you downloaded and installed that?
>> Checking my notes I believe it is Knowledge Base Article KB885626
>> that you want. If that's not it do a search on XP SP2 and Prescott
>> CPU chip.

The GA8-IPE1000-G is Prescott ready with F3 BIOS it shipped with. I've
also flashed the BIOS to F5 for 'keeping up'. Reading the list of
updates, there are two critical ones non-security related, one to do
with the Prescott situation. Anyway, I did check that the game still
stutters in the same spot, then installed the updates and rebooted.
Just got out of HL2 to check it.
No Stutters :) The game plays as smooth as creamy whipped butter on
warm toast with everything maxed out in 1280x1024 (max res for the 19"
LCD). [breathes a long contented sigh and smiles] .
Nice start for my first workday of 2005!
Thanks for the tip, we need to keep that one around. The file is around
400K, tiny. The other article is KB884020, and :
"This update helps resolve an issue on computers running Windows XP
Service Pack 2.
Programs that connect to IP addresses in the loopback address range may
not work as expected and you may receive an error message indicating you
cannot establish a connection."

I don't think that contributed to fixing the stutters tho :) I think
your article patch did. My CPU stepping is D0 though. It's brand new,
die is fresh from June 04. Thing is, an hour ago, the game stuttered, I
applied this patch and did nothing else. Rebooted, ran the game, no
stutter at ALL. It shouldn't surprise me that there are little issues
with the Prescott core. Anyway, thanks for the help! This is one case
where the stutters have an answer!
McG.

Steve Evans wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:03:41 -0000, "The Berzerker"
> <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote:
>
>>The specs for your 3Ghz machine are identical to mine, however, I'm
>>using a 9800 Pro 128MB. I do get the occasional stutter (nothing more
>>than a second) but I've never experienced the weird slow down
>>involving Alyx that you mention. I know this doesn't help... but I
>>posted anyway.
>
> It's not doing an autosave is it? Try pulling the console down, that
> will tell you.

From what I've seen about the stuttering on this and other forums, it
seems to consistently be much worse on systems with Nvidia cards than
Radeons.

--
Ross Smith ......... r-smith@ihug.co.nz ......... Auckland, New Zealand
"The current crop of compilers are pretty lousy -- they always

"Ross Smith" <r-smith@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> Steve Evans wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 00:03:41 -0000, "The Berzerker"
>> <Berzerker@wooooooo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The specs for your 3Ghz machine are identical to mine, however, I'm
>>> using a 9800 Pro 128MB. I do get the occasional stutter (nothing
>>> more than a second) but I've never experienced the weird slow down
>>> involving Alyx that you mention. I know this doesn't help... but I
>>> posted anyway.
>>
>> It's not doing an autosave is it? Try pulling the console down, that
>> will tell you.
>
> From what I've seen about the stuttering on this and other forums, it
> seems to consistently be much worse on systems with Nvidia cards than
> Radeons.

It doesn't do it with the Ti4600 OR the GF6800 as long as the P4-2.66 is
in. It's only done this since putting the P4-3.0 with HT in.
McG.

"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> snip!

I had no stutters with my MSI KT3 mobo and an AMD Athlon XP1600+ cpu.

I upgraded to an MSI KT4A-V mobo and an AMD Athlon XP3000+ cpu and now get
stutters!

Annoying, very annoying!

My graphics card is a Palit GeForce 5900XT.

Regards,
Claus

Lurker extraordinaire

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:22:57 GMT, "McGrandpa"
<McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:

:>snip!
:>
[...]

Great, glad to be of some help. Now you can just start enjoying the
game again, hopefully with much better performance.

me/2

> Ok. Playing in 1280x1024. With one CPU in my rig, HL2 doesn't do this
> stuttering bit. Yes, it does a momentary thing when 're-entering' the
> game with a LOADING level. That's different. This one is new to me,
> and I've not seen it described this way yet.
>
> For instance, in Entanglement, when Alyx has located her dad, Eli, and
> brought him to the window to talk with him, have both Eli and Alyx in
> the field of view. Sound stutters badly, animation becomes a slideshow,
> response to keyboard and mouse is delayed. Turn away from one or both,
> things smooth out. This happens anytime Alyx is centered 'in the
> picture' but not so bad until there is another high-poly character in
> the scene.
>
> Base rig:
> Gigabyte GA8-IPE1000G (865PE chipset), 2 x 512meg Xerox PC3200+ (dual
> channel), eVGA 6800 with NV67.02 driver, TB Santa Cruz. Win XP Pro SP2.
>
> No stutter: P4-2.66 (Northwood) 533/512K L2, 1 gig PC3200 @ 166=333 DDR
>
> Stutters: P4-3.0E (Prescott) 800/1m L2, 1 gig PC3200 @ 200=400 DDR
>
> The 3.0E is also HT enabled, 2 cpu's show up in the device manager.
>
> It's ironic to me that I put the newer faster CPU in and THEN I start
> getting the stutters :)

I don't really have an answer for you, but for what it's worth my system
plays silky smooth at 1280x960 with all the detail maxxed out and no AA.

A7N8X 2.0 @ 175 MHz FSB
Barton 2600+ @ 2017 MHz
CFG Tech GeForce 6800 OC
1 GB RAM (2x512) @ 175 MHz dual channel
Seagate 7200.7 160GB Barracuda

Runs beautifully. I am going to return the 6800 card within the next couple
days though. The 2d quality on that card is awful. At anything over
1280x1024@60Hz it gets very blurry. I've tried everything and even exchanged
it for another. It's just a shoddily made card, which is really a shame
because it has an excellent heatsink/fan setup on it.

With my old LeadTek 64MB Ti4200 I ran HL2 at 800x600 with all detail maxxed
except no AA and water reflections were only of world, not everything. It
was very smooth like that, no stuttering. I was actually surprised it ran so
well.

I just figure that now with HL2 and Doom3 and who knows what else I ought to
upgrade, so Saturday I bit the bullet and tried to do a good thing... I
messed up and got a poor quality card, so it's going back and I think I'll
order a LeakTek 6800 or perhaps a LeadTek 6800GT. I've heard LeadTek is very
good about 2d quality, often beating ATI and rivaling Matrox.

Anyhow, it seems to me like this may be some sort of issue with the Intel
hardware. Perhaps a chipset/motherboard or even a CPU issue. Are you sure
it's not just that your RAM is unstable at the higher speed? You wouldn't
happen to have any friends with RAM rated at that speed you could borrow
from to test?

Cory

"CK®" <kaplov@image.dk> wrote in message
> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> skrev i en meddelelse
>> snip!
>>

> I had no stutters with my MSI KT3 mobo and an AMD Athlon XP1600+ cpu.
>
> I upgraded to an MSI KT4A-V mobo and an AMD Athlon XP3000+ cpu and
> now get stutters!
>
> Annoying, very annoying!
>
> My graphics card is a Palit GeForce 5900XT.
>
> Regards,
> Claus
>
> Lurker extraordinaire

Tried the latest Hyperion driver set from VIA, if that is a VIA chipset?

> On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 12:22:57 GMT, "McGrandpa"
> <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> snip!

>>> The GA8-IPE1000-G is Prescott ready with F3 BIOS it shipped with.
>>> I've also flashed the BIOS to F5 for 'keeping up'. Reading the
>>> list of updates, there are two critical ones non-security related,
>>> one to do with the Prescott situation. Anyway, I did check that
>>> the game still stutters in the same spot, then installed the
>>> updates and rebooted. Just got out of HL2 to check it.
>>> No Stutters :) The game plays as smooth as creamy whipped butter on
>>> warm toast with everything maxed out in 1280x1024 (max res for the
>>> 19" LCD). [breathes a long contented sigh and smiles] .
>>> Nice start for my first workday of 2005!
>>> Thanks for the tip, we need to keep that one around. The file is
>>> around 400K, tiny. The other article is KB884020, and :
>>> "This update helps resolve an issue on computers running Windows XP
>>> Service Pack 2.
>>> Programs that connect to IP addresses in the loopback address range
>>> may not work as expected and you may receive an error message
>>> indicating you cannot establish a connection."
>>>
>>> I don't think that contributed to fixing the stutters tho :) I
>>> think your article patch did. My CPU stepping is D0 though. It's
>>> brand new, die is fresh from June 04. Thing is, an hour ago, the
>>> game stuttered, I applied this patch and did nothing else.
>>> Rebooted, ran the game, no stutter at ALL. It shouldn't surprise
>>> me that there are little issues with the Prescott core. Anyway,
>>> thanks for the help! This is one case where the stutters have an
>>> answer!
>>> McG.
>
> Great, glad to be of some help. Now you can just start enjoying the
> game again, hopefully with much better performance.
>
> me/2

Oh, it does perform better. Even better than I expected! Got some
benchmarks to run now :)

> Tried the latest Hyperion driver set from VIA, if that is a VIA chipset?

Yes, just installed them, no improvement :eek:(
Will try to underclock my 3000+ and see what happens.

Claus

Cory Dunkle skrev:

> With my old LeadTek 64MB Ti4200 I ran HL2 at 800x600 with all detail maxxed
> except no AA and water reflections were only of world, not everything. It
> was very smooth like that, no stuttering. I was actually surprised it ran so

Wow, with 800x6000 standard settings I get not more than 42 fps with
my Asus V8420 (Ti-4200), and it lovks up with stutter for a minute or
so from time to time (no logic in why). Grrrrr..

--

> Cory Dunkle skrev:
>
> > With my old LeadTek 64MB Ti4200 I ran HL2 at 800x600 with all detail
maxxed
> > except no AA and water reflections were only of world, not everything.
It
> > was very smooth like that, no stuttering. I was actually surprised it
ran so

> Wow, with 800x6000 standard settings I get not more than 42 fps with
> my Asus V8420 (Ti-4200), and it lovks up with stutter for a minute or
> so from time to time (no logic in why). Grrrrr..

I did have mine overclocked a bit, so maybe that was why? I know on some
games, particularly Doom 3, if I didn't have my memory overclocked it would
slow down and stutter.

Cory

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

"Cory Dunkle" <cdnews@comcast.net> wrote in message
> "Lars-Erik Østerud" <.@.> wrote in message
> > Cory Dunkle skrev:
> >
> > > With my old LeadTek 64MB Ti4200 I ran HL2 at 800x600 with all detail
> maxxed
> > > except no AA and water reflections were only of world, not everything.
> It
> > > was very smooth like that, no stuttering. I was actually surprised it
> ran so
> >
> > Wow, with 800x6000 standard settings I get not more than 42 fps with
> > my Asus V8420 (Ti-4200), and it lovks up with stutter for a minute or
> > so from time to time (no logic in why). Grrrrr..
>
> I did have mine overclocked a bit, so maybe that was why? I know on some
> games, particularly Doom 3, if I didn't have my memory overclocked it
would
> slow down and stutter.
>
> Cory

I had a problem with stuttering and crashing to desktop.
Checked all the settings, reduced the sound quality from high to medium.
(This was recommended somewhere in this group)
It still stutters occasionally, but the game continues instead of crashing.

I`m using on-board audio (Asus A7N8X-X, with an FX5700 gfx card on Xp Pro)

Pete

Pete skrev:

> I had a problem with stuttering and crashing to desktop.
> Checked all the settings, reduced the sound quality from high to medium.
> (This was recommended somewhere in this group)
> It still stutters occasionally, but the game continues instead of crashing.

My games never crashes, it just "get stuck in a loop" for a while
(10-20 seconds), sound loops, movement is locked. Strange thing.

Seems to happend more often and for lomger times after plating a while
(long play -> more often stuck -> longer time before unstuck).

I really suspeck Steam having a memory leak, can that be the problem

--

> Pete skrev:
>
> > I had a problem with stuttering and crashing to desktop.
> > Checked all the settings, reduced the sound quality from high to medium.
> > (This was recommended somewhere in this group)
> > It still stutters occasionally, but the game continues instead of
crashing.

> My games never crashes, it just "get stuck in a loop" for a while
> (10-20 seconds), sound loops, movement is locked. Strange thing.
>
> Seems to happend more often and for lomger times after plating a while
> (long play -> more often stuck -> longer time before unstuck).
>
> I really suspeck Steam having a memory leak, can that be the problem

When I first got Half-Life on my Pentium MMX 200 MHz, Diamond 12 MB Voodoo
2, 128 MB RAM system it would do that sometimes while loading. Not for 10-20
seconds, but maybe a couple seconds occasionally. Sometimes it was while
accessing the CD, like when the computer is all set to go just waiting for
the CD to spin up. Not sure how that may be pertonents to HL2, but tehre you
have it for wahtever it's worth...