Monitor test mode in Multiimedia Pulsar S

I have a Pulsar (I think it is an S?)called a multimedia which seems to use
a 680 motherboard. I was testing it and it started asking me for passwords
which I dont know: Does anyone know how I get into the BIOS of this computer
without knowing the password? (or would downloading and then flashing the
bios do this trick?)

Then it started not seeming to mind this but wouldnt go into windows (I
know that there is only 16 Meg RAM in this computer but it shouldnt be
making the computer continuously LOOK as if it is going into windows when in
reality it is only preparing to tell me that it is OK to turn off the
computer now). All I am trying to do at this stage is to test SIMMS to see
which ones it will take and thereby increase the memory. Later I may try to
put another drive in it as a slave and put the swap file on it

So I took the top off and suddenly it will only put the monitor in test mode
in which I can move a black and white screen around, - to centre it
properly, - but no signal seems to get sent to the monitor.

Does anyone also know how to get either the monitor out of test mode or the
computer to start sending a signal to the monitor? IS there a microswitch
somethere between the cover and the computer which I can't see?

LtoQ

To remove a BIOS password, either remove the C2032 3v lithium battery from the
motherboard for a while, or find the motherboard jumper to reset the CMOS.
Either one will remove the BIOS password by simply causing the volatile CMOS
settings to lose their charge and become corrupted.

Windows 95 will barely run at all in 16MB of memory. I don't know if would
install at all. Better to find some more memory to install. 72-pin SIMM
memory is dirt cheap now. The 680 motherboard will accept matched pairs of
SIMMs in 4, 8, 16, and 32MB capacities. More is better... Ben Myers

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:47:25 -0400, "Licensed to Quill"
<vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

>I have a Pulsar (I think it is an S?)called a multimedia which seems to use
>a 680 motherboard. I was testing it and it started asking me for passwords
>which I dont know: Does anyone know how I get into the BIOS of this computer
>without knowing the password? (or would downloading and then flashing the
>bios do this trick?)
>
>Then it started not seeming to mind this but wouldnt go into windows (I
>know that there is only 16 Meg RAM in this computer but it shouldnt be
>making the computer continuously LOOK as if it is going into windows when in
>reality it is only preparing to tell me that it is OK to turn off the
>computer now). All I am trying to do at this stage is to test SIMMS to see
>which ones it will take and thereby increase the memory. Later I may try to
>put another drive in it as a slave and put the swap file on it
>
>So I took the top off and suddenly it will only put the monitor in test mode
>in which I can move a black and white screen around, - to centre it
>properly, - but no signal seems to get sent to the monitor.
>
>Does anyone also know how to get either the monitor out of test mode or the
>computer to start sending a signal to the monitor? IS there a microswitch
>somethere between the cover and the computer which I can't see?
>
>LtoQ

Many thanks Ben: That was what I needed to know: I was actually trying to
install some 32 MEG simms when the computer (meaning the monitor)
mysteriously went into test mode and I wondered if the password situation
would be impeding it from going back into normal mode.

I thought I could put two 32 Meg simms in and a few 16 Simms into the other
slots if I couldn't find any more 32s in my SIMM stock. (I have lots of
them but most of them are probably 8 Meg ones with no identification on
them) But as I say, the password (which sometimes cant be reset) seemed to
be preventing me from doing anything and stopping the computer from sending
ANYTHING to the monitor keeping it in what looks like test mode.

Would you happen to know how I get out of test mode or will this probably
happen when I remove the battery or jumper it to reset?

Licensed to Quill
> To remove a BIOS password, either remove the C2032 3v lithium battery from
the
> motherboard for a while, or find the motherboard jumper to reset the CMOS.
> Either one will remove the BIOS password by simply causing the volatile
CMOS
> settings to lose their charge and become corrupted.
>
> Windows 95 will barely run at all in 16MB of memory. I don't know if
would
> install at all. Better to find some more memory to install. 72-pin SIMM
> memory is dirt cheap now. The 680 motherboard will accept matched pairs
of
> SIMMs in 4, 8, 16, and 32MB capacities. More is better... Ben Myers
>
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:47:25 -0400, "Licensed to Quill"
> <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a Pulsar (I think it is an S?)called a multimedia which seems to
use
> >a 680 motherboard. I was testing it and it started asking me for
passwords
> >which I dont know: Does anyone know how I get into the BIOS of this
computer
> >without knowing the password? (or would downloading and then flashing
the
> >bios do this trick?)
> >
> >Then it started not seeming to mind this but wouldnt go into windows (I
> >know that there is only 16 Meg RAM in this computer but it shouldnt be
> >making the computer continuously LOOK as if it is going into windows when
in
> >reality it is only preparing to tell me that it is OK to turn off the
> >computer now). All I am trying to do at this stage is to test SIMMS to
see
> >which ones it will take and thereby increase the memory. Later I may try
> >put another drive in it as a slave and put the swap file on it
> >
> >So I took the top off and suddenly it will only put the monitor in test
mode
> >in which I can move a black and white screen around, - to centre it
> >properly, - but no signal seems to get sent to the monitor.
> >
> >Does anyone also know how to get either the monitor out of test mode or
the
> >computer to start sending a signal to the monitor? IS there a microswitch
> >somethere between the cover and the computer which I can't see?
> >
> >LtoQ

Remove the battery or set the jumpers to clear the CMOS, and hope for the
best... Ben Myers

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 17:43:27 -0400, "Licensed to Quill"
> [...]

>in
>> >reality it is only preparing to tell me that it is OK to turn off the
>> >computer now). All I am trying to do at this stage is to test SIMMS to
>see
>> >which ones it will take and thereby increase the memory. Later I may try
>> >put another drive in it as a slave and put the swap file on it
>> >
>> >So I took the top off and suddenly it will only put the monitor in test
>mode
>> >in which I can move a black and white screen around, - to centre it
>> >properly, - but no signal seems to get sent to the monitor.
>> >
>> >Does anyone also know how to get either the monitor out of test mode or
>the
>> >computer to start sending a signal to the monitor? IS there a microswitch
>> >somethere between the cover and the computer which I can't see?

Thank you for your response Ben but I think the problem is at present more
basic than that: When I turn the monitor on, it gives me the test screen
whether the computer is on or not. Turning the computer on doesnt make any
difference: You just don't nsee any signal being accepted by the monitor
which (as I say) seems to be in some sort of test mode to let you correct
the positioning of the picture on the screen from the moment it is turned
on. Nothing I can do changes that.

Taking the battery our for a few minutes and disconnecting the power doesnt
change this either AND I didnt get any invalid checksum messages indicating
that the battery hadn't enough power in it to hold its data in its memory
despite this computer having been unplugged for a year and a half.

I am wondering if the failure to enter a password three times has prevented
the computer from sending any signal to the monitor? (It did give me a
SYSTEM STOPPED message which SEEMS to be when the problem with the monitor
started) so I am experimenting with
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/680.htm.

Then I will experiment with putting two similar 32 meg chips in the A and B
bank slots and two similar 8 Meg SIMMS in slots C and D and see if it is
enough to run Windows

Many thanks again

Licensed to Quill

"Licensed to Quill" <vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for your response Ben but I think the problem is at present more
> basic than that: When I turn the monitor on, it gives me the test screen
> whether the computer is on or not. Turning the computer on doesnt make any
> difference: You just don't nsee any signal being accepted by the monitor
> which (as I say) seems to be in some sort of test mode to let you correct
> the positioning of the picture on the screen from the moment it is turned
> on. Nothing I can do changes that.
>
> Taking the battery our for a few minutes and disconnecting the power
> doesnt
> change this either AND I didnt get any invalid checksum messages
> indicating
> that the battery hadn't enough power in it to hold its data in its memory
> despite this computer having been unplugged for a year and a half.
>
> I am wondering if the failure to enter a password three times has
> prevented
> the computer from sending any signal to the monitor? (It did give me a
> SYSTEM STOPPED message which SEEMS to be when the problem with the monitor
> started) so I am experimenting with
> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/680.htm.
>
> Then I will experiment with putting two similar 32 meg chips in the A and
> bank slots and two similar 8 Meg SIMMS in slots C and D and see if it is
> enough to run Windows
>
> Many thanks again
>
> Licensed to Quill

Take the battery completely out for say 5 minutes. Then place it back in and
then turn the system on. It should display a system message about a low
battery warning just keep going. (Or better yet this is the time to change
to a fresh new battery)

You also need to re-enter the BIOS (DEL, F2, CTL-ALT-DEL, or some other key
combo to enter it.) Set the BIOS to default settings and then let the system
boot up. This may also cure the monitor problem. Usually when that type of
message occurs you either have a bad connection, a bad bios setting for the
monitor, a bent power cable to the monitor, a bend or misaligned pin out
from the monitor and there can be other reasons but I would check the
obvious first. Also check to make sure the power supply is set to the
correct voltage (110 or other settings for Europe) After the system is
booted up and the bios is accepted you then add the memory as Ben advised.
The more as he said the better.

I hope I helped?

Elector

Perhaps I'm missing something in the translation here. "Test screen"? Is this
the built-in electronic display shown by a monitor when it is not receiving a
signal from the computer? If so, you are right. The test screen is evidence
that the computer itself is not working properly. The problem may be more
basic. If removing the battery does not clear the CMOS and enable you to see
something (text, graphics, whatever) displayed from the computer, then the
computer motherboard has a serious problem which is preventing it from even
doing its initial Power On Self Test (POST). If this is the case, you'll need
to go through a detailed step-by-step diagnostic procedure to determine why.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 02:04:33 -0400, "Licensed to Quill"
> [...]

>> >install some 32 MEG simms when the computer (meaning the monitor)
>> >mysteriously went into test mode and I wondered if the password situation
>> >would be impeding it from going back into normal mode.
>> >
>> >I thought I could put two 32 Meg simms in and a few 16 Simms into the
>other
>> >slots if I couldn't find any more 32s in my SIMM stock. (I have lots of
>> >them but most of them are probably 8 Meg ones with no identification on
>> >them) But as I say, the password (which sometimes cant be reset) seemed
>> >be preventing me from doing anything and stopping the computer from
>sending
>> >ANYTHING to the monitor keeping it in what looks like test mode.
>> >
>> >Would you happen to know how I get out of test mode or will this probably
>> >happen when I remove the battery or jumper it to reset?

Yes, that sounds like it: Something is preventing a signal coming out of the
computer but I strongly suspect that it is something to do with changing the
memory as the unit would POST until I simply put a 32Meg EDO ram chip in it.
THen I reverted to the original chip and nothing improved (this isn't a
static electricity problem which caused the mobo to blow:Nor I suspect is is
a gigantic coincidence that the mobo died exactly when I put more ram in
it?).

I found that by jumpering across J1F2A, pins 2 and 3 rather than 1 and 2 I
could disable the password. The trouble is that there are about 4 sets of
pins marked 1 and 2 as well as 2 and 3 on block J1F2A on the page
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/680.htm. (and doing what I thought was
clearing the password and CMOS didn't have any effect on what did appear, -
or in this case, didn't appear on the monitor)

So I am wondering about jumpering to reset if taking the battery out didnt
do anything. Do you happen to know which jumpers have to get set on that
block? Is it NOT the top ones?

> [...]
> >despite this computer having been unplugged for a year and a half.
> >
> >I am wondering if the failure to enter a password three times has
prevented
> >the computer from sending any signal to the monitor? (It did give me a
> >SYSTEM STOPPED message which SEEMS to be when the problem with the
monitor
> >started) so I am experimenting with
> >http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/680.htm.
> >
> >Then I will experiment with putting two similar 32 meg chips in the A and
> >bank slots and two similar 8 Meg SIMMS in slots C and D and see if it is
> >enough to run Windows
> >
> >Many thanks again
> >
> >Licensed to Quill
> ><ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
> >> Remove the battery or set the jumpers to clear the CMOS, and hope for

Without specs for the motherboard, I am somewhat at a loss. The board is
clearly made by Intel for PB, judging by the convention for naming the jumpers.
Look closely at the markings on the board to see which is pin 1 on a group of
pins.

FYI, as stated on the PB web site, the board MUST have SIMMs installed in
matched pairs. If you only put a single SIMM in, that is the cause of the
non-boot problem. What happens if you revert back to the original PAIR of
SIMMs.

I probably have one of these 680 boards kicking around my warehouse, along with
a few other odds and ends of boards for Pentium-class PB, IBM, and HP systems.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 18:58:19 -0400, "Licensed to Quill"
> [...]

>> >Taking the battery our for a few minutes and disconnecting the power
>doesnt
>> >change this either AND I didnt get any invalid checksum messages
>indicating
>> >that the battery hadn't enough power in it to hold its data in its memory
>> >despite this computer having been unplugged for a year and a half.
>> >
>> >I am wondering if the failure to enter a password three times has
>prevented
>> >the computer from sending any signal to the monitor? (It did give me a
>> >SYSTEM STOPPED message which SEEMS to be when the problem with the
>monitor
>> >started) so I am experimenting with
>> >http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/680.htm.
>> >
>> >Then I will experiment with putting two similar 32 meg chips in the A and
>> >bank slots and two similar 8 Meg SIMMS in slots C and D and see if it is

Yes, I figured that and did try to revert to the pair of SIMMS even if I did
actually put a single 32 MEG EDO ram:WHen it wouldnt POST, (after wrongly
trying another single SIMM) that was the first thing I tried. WHenever I
try a different SIMM configuration, it gives three beeps but at no stage has
it given me any output whatsoever from the SVGA output.

The block itself is interesting and the lack of a convention for properly
numbering the block is part of the problem, unless what I think is obvoius
is really obvious (and the problem is elsewhere). It has the J1F2A
identification marking ACROSS the very top, - I thought indicating that the
top few pins were the J1F2A pins. But there are about four sets of pins on
this single block with mysterious un-described identification markings on
the right side of each set. So I thought I could merely use the top ones,
trying jumpering (both to get the password cleared AND to get the CMOS
reset) them with the battery in, with the battery out, with the power
connected, with the power disconnected. Nothing causes the CMOS to reset. I
am wondering if I shoudl try to flash the BIOS (assuming there is a newer
version out there, or possibly that it might let me flash even if there
isn't a newer BIOS than the one installed).

The manual says that installing a new video card disables all video
functions of the motherboard which I suppose might assist something? I have
unfortunately got about five newer video cards in my New York office but
none in London so I can't discount the slight possibility that there is a
bad connection in the video card or something else wrong with the video area
caused by moving the computer to pop the top off the unit. there dont SEEM
to be any switches in the unit which would prevent the unit from POSTing if
the cover is off it. The connector is pretty well screwed into the plug
hole so I don't think that there are any problems with the connector or with
pins mysteriously getting disconnected (a problem I have had before when I
didnt screw in the screws in the plug)

Licensed to Quill
> [...]
> >> the built-in electronic display shown by a monitor when it is not
> >receiving a
> >> signal from the computer? If so, you are right. The test screen is
> >evidence
> >> that the computer itself is not working properly. The problem may be
more
> >> basic. If removing the battery does not clear the CMOS and enable you
> >see
> >> something (text, graphics, whatever) displayed from the computer, then
the
> >> computer motherboard has a serious problem which is preventing it from
> >even
> >> doing its initial Power On Self Test (POST). If this is the case,
you'll
> >need
> >> to go through a detailed step-by-step diagnostic procedure to determine

The PB680 motherboard is an Intel-made NV430VX, for which technical specs may
still be available on the Intel web site. If it is still there, it would be in
the archive of documents for older motherboards. The Intel web site is pretty
easy to navigate.

From the tech spec:

The three beeps when the system powers up indicate a "Base 64K memory failure",
or failure of memory in the low 64K of memory to work properly. In short, you
have installed SIMM memory which is incompatible with the motherboard (e.g. not
a matched pair or too slow for the system) or simply defective. It is possible
that the memory is not inserted correctly in the SIMM sockets, which would make
for a defective installation of memory.

The configuration jumpers at J1F2 are arranged in four groups of 6 pins each,
and labelled A, B, C, & D. Pin 1 of J1F2-A is the right most pin nearest to you
if you are looking inside the chassis from the front.

J1F2-A with pins 4-5 jumpered keep the motherboard CMOS settings as they are,
whilst pins 5-6 clears CMOS.
J1F2-A pins 1-2 enable a BIOS password, to be avoided. Pins 2-3 clear any BIOS
password and disable its use in the BIOS.

You should not have changed ANY other jumpers in the J1F2 group or the jumpers
at J9A1 without access to the complete technical spec and a decent understanding
of what these jumpers do.

In short, you may well have installed defective memory or installed it
improperly to begin with. In so doing, you may also have damaged the
motherboard in some way. Time will tell. Go back to the original memory
configuration, installing pairs of SIMMs in adjacent SIMM sockets. Each pair of
adjacent SIMM sockets is called a "bank". The board will operate properly if a
matched pair of SIMMs is installed in EITHER bank. Try a pair in each bank and
see what happens... Ben Myers

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 12:47:25 -0400, "Licensed to Quill"
<vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

>I have a Pulsar (I think it is an S?)called a multimedia which seems to use
>a 680 motherboard. I was testing it and it started asking me for passwords
>which I dont know: Does anyone know how I get into the BIOS of this computer
>without knowing the password? (or would downloading and then flashing the
>bios do this trick?)
>
>Then it started not seeming to mind this but wouldnt go into windows (I
>know that there is only 16 Meg RAM in this computer but it shouldnt be
>making the computer continuously LOOK as if it is going into windows when in
>reality it is only preparing to tell me that it is OK to turn off the
>computer now). All I am trying to do at this stage is to test SIMMS to see
>which ones it will take and thereby increase the memory. Later I may try to
>put another drive in it as a slave and put the swap file on it
>
>So I took the top off and suddenly it will only put the monitor in test mode
>in which I can move a black and white screen around, - to centre it
>properly, - but no signal seems to get sent to the monitor.
>
>Does anyone also know how to get either the monitor out of test mode or the
>computer to start sending a signal to the monitor? IS there a microswitch
>somethere between the cover and the computer which I can't see?
>
>LtoQ

Many thanks for your help although we are going around in circles a bit at
this stage: When you say "Go back to the original memory
configuration, installing pairs of SIMMs in adjacent SIMM sockets" it really
only repeats what I said in the message to which it was a response when I
said "revert to the [original] pair of SIMMS ........ was the first thing I
tried" I posted at that stage because I was baffled that it didnt restore
the signal bein gsent to the screen and wondered if this was anything to do
with the error message telling me that the system had been halted because I
had entered the incorrect password three times. But surely clearing the
password and reinstalling the original SIMMS would clear this problem and
restore SOMTHING to the screen? It seems there is nothing now to stop the
system POSTing?

I didnt dare change anything else on that block but did try to clear the
password AND reset the CMOS in the way you say. But all I am getting is
nothing being sent to the monitor by the computer. I will try the same
procedure again, AND try taking out the battery again with the power
disconnected again as well as with the power connected and see what happens.

> [...]
> is
> > >a gigantic coincidence that the mobo died exactly when I put more ram
in
> > >it?).
> > >
> > >I found that by jumpering across J1F2A, pins 2 and 3 rather than 1 and
> > >could disable the password. The trouble is that there are about 4 sets
of
> > >pins marked 1 and 2 as well as 2 and 3 on block J1F2A on the page
> > >http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/680.htm. (and doing what I thought
was
> > >clearing the password and CMOS didn't have any effect on what did
> appear, -
> > >or in this case, didn't appear on the monitor)
> > >
> > >So I am wondering about jumpering to reset if taking the battery out
> didnt
> > >do anything. Do you happen to know which jumpers have to get set on

Hi Ben

You were right: Where it says the identification of the block ISN'T the
place where you set the CMOS. That is bank D and when I set bank A as you
suggested, all started coming alive.

But curiously the original memory still gives three beeps. So I took it out
and put in two 32 meg EDO chips which resulted in a proper boot. So I put in
the two original 8 meg chips (at least I thought they were 8 meg SIMMS as
they registered 16 Meg when I originally started the system and now hey
presto!! it reads 32 Meg.

Can't figure out why the mobo can't read the three SIMMS which are in there
but which nevertheless doesn't give error messages when those chips ARE in?
Is this something to do with the other B C or D blocks which make it read
the memory slots properly?

Could it be something to do with flahsing the BIOS? The trouble is that the
BIOS in there is an Amibios 1.00.11DNOR whereas the serial number identifies
it as a Pulsar 19 and any Pulsar According to the PB site
http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=platform_symphonymultimedia&PibLinkGroup=2000#show
should have an Apollo, or a Luna or a Bora Pro or some Athena or Phoenix
BIOS??

Do you think I can replace my AMI with one of these to cure these problems?
Sounds like an incredibly risky stratiegy to me as you can't back up a BIOS
and reinstall it??

Licensed to Quill
> [...]
> >computer now). All I am trying to do at this stage is to test SIMMS to
see
> >which ones it will take and thereby increase the memory. Later I may try
> >put another drive in it as a slave and put the swap file on it
> >
> >So I took the top off and suddenly it will only put the monitor in test
mode
> >in which I can move a black and white screen around, - to centre it
> >properly, - but no signal seems to get sent to the monitor.
> >
> >Does anyone also know how to get either the monitor out of test mode or
the
> >computer to start sending a signal to the monitor? IS there a microswitch
> >somethere between the cover and the computer which I can't see?
> >
> >LtoQ

"Can't figure out why the mobo can't read the three SIMMS which are in there but
which nevertheless doesn't give error messages when those chips ARE in?" Not
sure if you mis-stated with THREE SIMMS, but the motherboard works only with
matched pairs of SIMMs. That is a rule almost inviolate with Pentium class
motherboards and 72-pin SIMMs.

Don't flash the BIOS. Your motherboard has the latest and last BIOS. Altho
I've flashed the BIOS in maybe thousands of motherboards over the years, I still
think it is a risky procedure. Perhaps more risky for you than for me.

Packard Bell was notoriously sloppy with its bill-of-materials in the assembly
of computers, and also with the myriad of names on the front, Pulsars, Legends,
etc. It is no wonder that there is conflicting information about the
motherboard inside your system. Ignore what you see elsewhere. You KNOW what
you've got there, very pragmatically.

FInally, download the spec for the motherboard. It has good solid detailed
inforamtion, a hallmark of Intel-designed motherboards... Ben Myers

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 19:27:29 -0400, "Licensed to Quill"
<vintagepen@compuserve.nospam.com> wrote:

>Hi Ben
>
>You were right: Where it says the identification of the block ISN'T the
>place where you set the CMOS. That is bank D and when I set bank A as you
>suggested, all started coming alive.
>
>But curiously the original memory still gives three beeps. So I took it out
>and put in two 32 meg EDO chips which resulted in a proper boot. So I put in
>the two original 8 meg chips (at least I thought they were 8 meg SIMMS as
>they registered 16 Meg when I originally started the system and now hey
>presto!! it reads 32 Meg.
>
>Can't figure out why the mobo can't read the three SIMMS which are in there
>but which nevertheless doesn't give error messages when those chips ARE in?
>Is this something to do with the other B C or D blocks which make it read
>the memory slots properly?
>
>Could it be something to do with flahsing the BIOS? The trouble is that the
>BIOS in there is an Amibios 1.00.11DNOR whereas the serial number identifies
>it as a Pulsar 19 and any Pulsar According to the PB site
>http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=platform_symphonymultimedia&PibLinkGroup=2000#show
>should have an Apollo, or a Luna or a Bora Pro or some Athena or Phoenix
>BIOS??
>
>Do you think I can replace my AMI with one of these to cure these problems?
>Sounds like an incredibly risky stratiegy to me as you can't back up a BIOS
>and reinstall it??
>
>Licensed to Quill

<SNIP!>

OK I will download the spec from the Intel site as there doesn't seem to be
sufficient detail on the PB site which I mentioned. And if the BIOS is the
latest, there must be some other reason for the system not seeing the memory
which SEEMS to be inserted properly in the slots (and if it wasnt, surely I
would hear beeps??)

WHat is peculiar is that everyone seems to think that a 233 MHZ can't EASILY
be put in a PB 680 mother board.

There is something else wrong in that when (even identifying only 16 Meg of
memory) the unit tries to get into Windows it starts giving error messages
telling me that it cant find certain files it needs to start windows and I
need to reinstall windows. WHich I dont necessarily believe but wonder if
there is any program I can use to correct this? If I can get into windows,
perhaps I can see howmuch memory is installed

I also have a drive with a working windows installation which works iwth a
Dell Dimension XPa 233 which wont even start or bring up an initial windows
splash screen on this PB. The drive works unbelievably slowly and I cant
beleive all this results from installation with a wrong chipset

BW
> [...]
in?
> >Is this something to do with the other B C or D blocks which make it read
> >the memory slots properly?
> >
> >Could it be something to do with flahsing the BIOS? The trouble is that
the
> >BIOS in there is an Amibios 1.00.11DNOR whereas the serial number
identifies
> >it as a Pulsar 19 and any Pulsar According to the PB site
>
>http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=platform_symphon
ymultimedia&PibLinkGroup=2000#show
> >should have an Apollo, or a Luna or a Bora Pro or some Athena or Phoenix
> >BIOS??
> >
> >Do you think I can replace my AMI with one of these to cure these
problems?
> >Sounds like an incredibly risky stratiegy to me as you can't back up a

The Intel spec for the NV430VX states that the board supports the Pentium MMX
processors. To install a 233MHz MMX and get it to run at its rated speed,
simply set the jumpers as tho the CPU was a 100MHz classic Pentium. This may
sound strange, but, trust me, it works.

If the system is not seeing the proper amount of memory, a BIOS update will not
change this one whit. If it is not seeing the right amount of memory, either
the memory is defective, or one or more SIMM sockets are defective or dirty, or
the memory is does not meet the requirements of the motherboard.

If the memory is somehow incorrect for the motherboard, all manner of error
messages and failures can ensue. Get the memory right, then worry about the
rest, including another CPU. Download MEMTEST-86 from the memtest web site, and
run MEMTEST-86 to ensure that the memory setup is OK. MEMTEST-86 is perhaps the
best all-round memory diagnostic, and it is a free download. If the computer
runs several complete cycles of memory tests with MEMTEST-86, then the memory is
OK. One error as indicated by MEMTEST-86 implies that the memory is not right
for the computer... Ben Myers

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 05:15:12 -0400, "Licensed to Quill"
> [...]

>in?
>> >Is this something to do with the other B C or D blocks which make it read
>> >the memory slots properly?
>> >
>> >Could it be something to do with flahsing the BIOS? The trouble is that
>the
>> >BIOS in there is an Amibios 1.00.11DNOR whereas the serial number
>identifies
>> >it as a Pulsar 19 and any Pulsar According to the PB site
>>
>>http://support.packardbell.com/uk/mypc/index.php?PibItemNr=platform_symphon
>ymultimedia&PibLinkGroup=2000#show
>> >should have an Apollo, or a Luna or a Bora Pro or some Athena or Phoenix
>> >BIOS??
>> >
>> >Do you think I can replace my AMI with one of these to cure these
>problems?
>> >Sounds like an incredibly risky stratiegy to me as you can't back up a

Hi Ben

That sounds like the cure to me: It does now seem to me that what must have
happened was that this 16 meg of memory just died when I took it out and the
two simms marked 32 meg are only 32 qwhen put in two slots to form a bank:
IE they are 16 each but presumably if I can run a test from DOS, it will
confirm that.

I wasnt suggesting that this chip cant be a 233, all I was thinking was that
everyone who has posted whose posts were seen on google suggested that it
was very difficult ot put a 233 in this board. Certainly not without some
sort of special fan which this one doesn't seem to be. Clealry I would
prefer a 233 to a 200 and to me, the difference doesnt sound too great to
represent any element of overloading the mobo or overclocking. Unless there
is some problem with the mobo and this chip, I dont see a 233mmx that as
being much different from a 200 mmx altough I DO (from remember when I was
waiting for my first Dell Inspiron 3000) the first Pentium 11s being 233 as
well as the last Pentium 1s being overclockable to 233

MFS