Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

NTFS permissions - basic primer

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
January 22, 2005 10:08:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Can anyone suggest a document or textbook that provides a very
detailed guide for setting up NTFS permissions for (as an example) C:
(system) D: (program) & E: (data drives) in a 5-person workgroup, XP
Pro, SP2.

All drives have just been converted from FAT 32 to NTFS (with 4K
clusters using BOOTIT NG).

The sample security templates (.inf files) provided with XP Pro do not
seem to cover the full range of folder permissions necessary for the
application listed above.

Any help would be appreciated.
January 22, 2005 10:33:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

rr@earthlink wrote:

> Can anyone suggest a document or textbook that provides a very
> detailed guide for setting up NTFS permissions for (as an example) C:
> (system) D: (program) & E: (data drives) in a 5-person workgroup, XP
> Pro, SP2.
>
> All drives have just been converted from FAT 32 to NTFS (with 4K
> clusters using BOOTIT NG).
>
> The sample security templates (.inf files) provided with XP Pro do not
> seem to cover the full range of folder permissions necessary for the
> application listed above.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Microsoft's TechNet has an amazing amount of information available. Here
is a link to a page that looks like it has exactly what you want.
However, it is well worth taking the time to explore all that TechNet
has to offer.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/default.ms...

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
January 23, 2005 11:34:29 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Malke,

Thanks for the very helpful pointer to TechNet, which as you say, has
a vast amount of invaluable information. Perhaps it's just due to my
temporary unfamiliarity with TechNet, but it would seem that the
cross-indexing and organization could be a bit more efficient.

To take one approximately random example - what are the appropriate
NTFS permissions for the recycler bin?

I'm not asking for the answer - I want to know where one goes to look
it up, which is not immediately apparent.

While there's a strong presentation on NTFS, on permissions, and on
user groups, some fully-described examples of practical
implementations for various environments are not easily found.

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 19:33:19 -0800, Malke <noreply@invalid.com> wrote:

>rr@earthlink wrote:
>
>> Can anyone suggest a document or textbook that provides a very
>> detailed guide for setting up NTFS permissions for (as an example) C:
>> (system) D: (program) & E: (data drives) in a 5-person workgroup, XP
>> Pro, SP2.
>>
>> All drives have just been converted from FAT 32 to NTFS (with 4K
>> clusters using BOOTIT NG).
>>
>> The sample security templates (.inf files) provided with XP Pro do not
>> seem to cover the full range of folder permissions necessary for the
>> application listed above.
>>
>> Any help would be appreciated.
>
>Microsoft's TechNet has an amazing amount of information available. Here
>is a link to a page that looks like it has exactly what you want.
>However, it is well worth taking the time to explore all that TechNet
>has to offer.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/default.ms...
>
>Malke
Related resources
January 23, 2005 1:00:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

rr@earthlink wrote:

> Malke,
>
> Thanks for the very helpful pointer to TechNet, which as you say, has
> a vast amount of invaluable information. Perhaps it's just due to my
> temporary unfamiliarity with TechNet, but it would seem that the
> cross-indexing and organization could be a bit more efficient.
>
> To take one approximately random example - what are the appropriate
> NTFS permissions for the recycler bin?
>
> I'm not asking for the answer - I want to know where one goes to look
> it up, which is not immediately apparent.
>
> While there's a strong presentation on NTFS, on permissions, and on
> user groups, some fully-described examples of practical
> implementations for various environments are not easily found.
>
That's as may be, and you might want to take it up with the TechNet
people. Since I don't work for them, I can't answer for them.
Personally, I use Google for my first step when I need an answer for
anything and move on from there. In most cases, there isn't *one*
definitive place to get answers to everything technically. There is no
getting around putting in the time and effort when you need to do
research.

Good luck,

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 23, 2005 7:41:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

rr@earthlink wrote on 22-Jan-2005 7:08 PM:
> Can anyone suggest a document or textbook that provides a very
> detailed guide for setting up NTFS permissions for (as an example) C:
> (system) D: (program) & E: (data drives) in a 5-person workgroup, XP
> Pro, SP2.
>
> All drives have just been converted from FAT 32 to NTFS (with 4K
> clusters using BOOTIT NG).
>
> The sample security templates (.inf files) provided with XP Pro do not
> seem to cover the full range of folder permissions necessary for the
> application listed above.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

Those templates are actually the most detailed instructions for setting
up NTFS permissions. Using one of those templates is the recommended way
of setting or resetting NTFS permissions, as when you convert from FAT.

If you aren't comfortable with those templates, the cacls.exe command
can set NTFS permissions, although it would be tedious to re-create all
the template permissions with cacls.exe. You must be very careful when
using cacls.exe, since if you forget the /E modifier when you need it,
you can lock yourself out of your file system with no recourse.

I would recommend you use the standard template and then tweak your
system with a cacls.exe batch file. This would document your changes and
allow you to recreate them when you reinstall XP the next time. (Note
that I don't ever recommend reinstalling XP, it is never necessary, only
time-saving in some cases.)

You can ask more questions here or in .setup_deployment.

--
Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
!