NTFS permissions - basic primer

Can anyone suggest a document or textbook that provides a very
detailed guide for setting up NTFS permissions for (as an example) C:
(system) D: (program) & E: (data drives) in a 5-person workgroup, XP
Pro, SP2.

All drives have just been converted from FAT 32 to NTFS (with 4K
clusters using BOOTIT NG).

The sample security templates (.inf files) provided with XP Pro do not
seem to cover the full range of folder permissions necessary for the
application listed above.

Any help would be appreciated.
4 answers Last reply
More about ntfs permissions basic primer

    rr@earthlink wrote:

    > Can anyone suggest a document or textbook that provides a very
    > detailed guide for setting up NTFS permissions for (as an example) C:
    > (system) D: (program) & E: (data drives) in a 5-person workgroup, XP
    > Pro, SP2.
    >
    > All drives have just been converted from FAT 32 to NTFS (with 4K
    > clusters using BOOTIT NG).
    >
    > The sample security templates (.inf files) provided with XP Pro do not
    > seem to cover the full range of folder permissions necessary for the
    > application listed above.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Microsoft's TechNet has an amazing amount of information available. Here
    is a link to a page that looks like it has exactly what you want.
    However, it is well worth taking the time to explore all that TechNet
    has to offer.

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/default.mspx

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke,

    Thanks for the very helpful pointer to TechNet, which as you say, has
    a vast amount of invaluable information. Perhaps it's just due to my
    temporary unfamiliarity with TechNet, but it would seem that the
    cross-indexing and organization could be a bit more efficient.

    To take one approximately random example - what are the appropriate
    NTFS permissions for the recycler bin?

    I'm not asking for the answer - I want to know where one goes to look
    it up, which is not immediately apparent.

    While there's a strong presentation on NTFS, on permissions, and on
    user groups, some fully-described examples of practical
    implementations for various environments are not easily found.

    rr@earthlink wrote:

    > Malke,
    >
    > Thanks for the very helpful pointer to TechNet, which as you say, has
    > a vast amount of invaluable information. Perhaps it's just due to my
    > temporary unfamiliarity with TechNet, but it would seem that the
    > cross-indexing and organization could be a bit more efficient.
    >
    > To take one approximately random example - what are the appropriate
    > NTFS permissions for the recycler bin?
    >
    > I'm not asking for the answer - I want to know where one goes to look
    > it up, which is not immediately apparent.
    >
    > While there's a strong presentation on NTFS, on permissions, and on
    > user groups, some fully-described examples of practical
    > implementations for various environments are not easily found.

    That's as may be, and you might want to take it up with the TechNet
    people. Since I don't work for them, I can't answer for them.
    Personally, I use Google for my first step when I need an answer for
    anything and move on from there. In most cases, there isn't *one*
    definitive place to get answers to everything technically. There is no
    getting around putting in the time and effort when you need to do
    research.

    Good luck,

    Malke
    --

    rr@earthlink wrote on 22-Jan-2005 7:08 PM:
    > Can anyone suggest a document or textbook that provides a very
    > detailed guide for setting up NTFS permissions for (as an example) C:
    > (system) D: (program) & E: (data drives) in a 5-person workgroup, XP
    > Pro, SP2.
    >
    > All drives have just been converted from FAT 32 to NTFS (with 4K
    > clusters using BOOTIT NG).
    >
    > The sample security templates (.inf files) provided with XP Pro do not
    > seem to cover the full range of folder permissions necessary for the
    > application listed above.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated.

    Those templates are actually the most detailed instructions for setting
    up NTFS permissions. Using one of those templates is the recommended way
    of setting or resetting NTFS permissions, as when you convert from FAT.

    If you aren't comfortable with those templates, the cacls.exe command
    can set NTFS permissions, although it would be tedious to re-create all
    the template permissions with cacls.exe. You must be very careful when
    using cacls.exe, since if you forget the /E modifier when you need it,
    you can lock yourself out of your file system with no recourse.

    I would recommend you use the standard template and then tweak your
    system with a cacls.exe batch file. This would document your changes and
    allow you to recreate them when you reinstall XP the next time. (Note
    that I don't ever recommend reinstalling XP, it is never necessary, only
    time-saving in some cases.)

    You can ask more questions here or in .setup_deployment.

    --
    Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security

Security NTFS Permissions Windows XP