matt

Would it be legal to ghost a drive with Windows XP on it and put it into
another computer as long as I own 2 copies of Windows XP?

Or would I have to change the key on the ghosted?

If you have two licenses, you can have two installations. You would need to
change the key on the ghosted one and probably perform a repair install.

It is unlikely that the two computers have exactly the same hardware

--
Jon Hildrum
DTS MVP
"Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Would it be legal to ghost a drive with Windows XP on it and put it into
> another computer as long as I own 2 copies of Windows XP?
>
> Or would I have to change the key on the ghosted?

Yes that would be legal. However, for the Ghost process to work, the two platforms would
have to have 99% of the same hardware or be the exact same model platform. Otherwise WinXP
will fail to boot.

--
Dave

> Yes that would be legal. However, for the Ghost process to work, the
> two platforms would
> have to have 99% of the same hardware or be the exact same model
> platform. Otherwise WinXP
> will fail to boot.
>
> --
> Dave

Yes, it probably might fail to boot but all is not lost yet. I have
found that running a repair/install corrected the failure to boot
although in one case, as I recall, I had to make a phone call to get it
re-activated. I guess that was because of an extreme difference between
the hardware. The phone call was painless.

> "Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | Would it be legal to ghost a drive with Windows XP on it and put it
> into
> | another computer as long as I own 2 copies of Windows XP?
> |
> | Or would I have to change the key on the ghosted?

If the two share similar, but different, chip-sets a repair install *may* work. For example
both Intel chip-sets. However, a repair install may also fail if the source was an Intel
chip-set and the destination was a VIA chip-set. The differences are too much to overcome
and the repair won't work.

--
Dave

"Jack Gillis" <XXXXXXXX@widomaker.com> wrote in message

| > Yes that would be legal. However, for the Ghost process to work, the
| > two platforms would
| > have to have 99% of the same hardware or be the exact same model
| > platform. Otherwise WinXP
| > will fail to boot.
| >
| > --
| > Dave
| >

| Yes, it probably might fail to boot but all is not lost yet. I have
| found that running a repair/install corrected the failure to boot
| although in one case, as I recall, I had to make a phone call to get it
| re-activated. I guess that was because of an extreme difference between
| the hardware. The phone call was painless.
|

| > "Matt" <Matt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| > | Would it be legal to ghost a drive with Windows XP on it and put it
| > into
| > | another computer as long as I own 2 copies of Windows XP?
| > |