Closed

Windows firewall

January 23, 2005 3:41:02 AM

A few days ago my windows firewall warning was on. While attempting to
re-enable the firewall through the security center I received a message
"we're sorry, the security center could not turn on windows firewall" and
then told me to do it manually. Attempting to open the windows firewall gave
me this message "Windows firewall settings could not be displayed because the
associated service is not running. Do you want to start the windows
firewall/Internet Connection sharing service? Yes/No. Clicking Yes, gives
sharing (ICS) service." With no further explanation. I re-installed SP2
with no improvement. Any other suggestions?

More about : windows firewall

January 23, 2005 10:39:21 AM

George wrote:

> A few days ago my windows firewall warning was on. While attempting
> to re-enable the firewall through the security center I received a
> message "we're sorry, the security center could not turn on windows
> firewall" and
> then told me to do it manually. Attempting to open the windows
> firewall gave me this message "Windows firewall settings could not be
> displayed because the
> associated service is not running. Do you want to start the windows
> firewall/Internet Connection sharing service? Yes/No. Clicking Yes,
> gives
> connection
> sharing (ICS) service." With no further explanation. I re-installed
> SP2
> with no improvement. Any other suggestions?

What changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?
Did you by any chance download the Beta Microsoft AntiSpyware program?
It has been known to break the Windows Firewall. If this is the case,
then fix the WF by doing:

Start>Run cmd [enter]
netsh winsock reset [enter]
Follow prompts and reboot.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

"George" wrote:

> A few days ago my windows firewall warning was on. While attempting to
> re-enable the firewall through the security center I received a message
> "we're sorry, the security center could not turn on windows firewall" and
> then told me to do it manually. Attempting to open the windows firewall gave
> me this message "Windows firewall settings could not be displayed because the
> associated service is not running. Do you want to start the windows
> firewall/Internet Connection sharing service? Yes/No. Clicking Yes, gives
> sharing (ICS) service." With no further explanation. I re-installed SP2
> with no improvement. Any other suggestions?
Related resources
January 24, 2005 2:13:01 AM

Thank you Malke,
That fixed the problem.

"Malke" wrote:

> George wrote:
>
> > A few days ago my windows firewall warning was on. While attempting
> > to re-enable the firewall through the security center I received a
> > message "we're sorry, the security center could not turn on windows
> > firewall" and
> > then told me to do it manually. Attempting to open the windows
> > firewall gave me this message "Windows firewall settings could not be
> > displayed because the
> > associated service is not running. Do you want to start the windows
> > firewall/Internet Connection sharing service? Yes/No. Clicking Yes,
> > gives
> > connection
> > sharing (ICS) service." With no further explanation. I re-installed
> > SP2
> > with no improvement. Any other suggestions?
>
> What changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?
> Did you by any chance download the Beta Microsoft AntiSpyware program?
> It has been known to break the Windows Firewall. If this is the case,
> then fix the WF by doing:
>
> Start>Run cmd [enter]
> netsh winsock reset [enter]
> Follow prompts and reboot.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"

January 24, 2005 9:24:32 AM

George wrote:

> Thank you Malke,
> That fixed the problem.

You're welcome. Thanks for letting me know.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
August 16, 2008 4:08:10 AM

Hello Everyone.

I am facing the problem that you guys experienced. I tried going to RUN and typing netsh winsock reset. After that I clicked okay. After that a window with a black background appeared for a while and before any commands or prompts were shown it immediately closed. i trired reseting my computer after that but it was not successful...
Can anybody help me? I 've been using a lot of computers but this is just now that I've encountered such demise.
I hope someone will enlighten me with the right thing to do because I am pretty much impatient when it comes to computer problems. h
June 23, 2009 3:11:42 AM

Just wanted you to know it also fixed mine. My firewall changed when I turned on printer sharing on a router and I was sude if that beta microsoft had updated or not but I am running avg anti-virus. I done what you said and the firewall is back on. Thank you

Malke said:

George wrote:

> Thank you Malke,
> That fixed the problem.

You're welcome. Thanks for letting me know.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

March 6, 2012 11:51:18 PM

Malke said:

George wrote:

> A few days ago my windows firewall warning was on. While attempting
> to re-enable the firewall through the security center I received a
> message "we're sorry, the security center could not turn on windows
> firewall" and
> then told me to do it manually. Attempting to open the windows
> firewall gave me this message "Windows firewall settings could not be
> displayed because the
> associated service is not running. Do you want to start the windows
> firewall/Internet Connection sharing service? Yes/No. Clicking Yes,
> gives
> connection
> sharing (ICS) service." With no further explanation. I re-installed
> SP2
> with no improvement. Any other suggestions?

What changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?
Did you by any chance download the Beta Microsoft AntiSpyware program?
It has been known to break the Windows Firewall. If this is the case,
then fix the WF by doing:

Start>Run cmd [enter]
netsh winsock reset [enter]
Follow prompts and reboot.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

Hi, i tried this but it still doesnt work ... any other suggestions?
March 18, 2013 9:25:45 PM

Malke said:

George wrote:

> A few days ago my windows firewall warning was on. While attempting
> to re-enable the firewall through the security center I received a
> message "we're sorry, the security center could not turn on windows
> firewall" and
> then told me to do it manually. Attempting to open the windows
> firewall gave me this message "Windows firewall settings could not be
> displayed because the
> associated service is not running. Do you want to start the windows
> firewall/Internet Connection sharing service? Yes/No. Clicking Yes,
> gives
> connection
> sharing (ICS) service." With no further explanation. I re-installed
> SP2
> with no improvement. Any other suggestions?

What changed between the time things worked and the time they didn't?
Did you by any chance download the Beta Microsoft AntiSpyware program?
It has been known to break the Windows Firewall. If this is the case,
then fix the WF by doing:

Start>Run cmd [enter]
netsh winsock reset [enter]
Follow prompts and reboot.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"

mine says, after i put in netsh and winsock, i tryed to put in reset but it says This requested operation requires elevation Plz help :(
a b 8 Security
March 19, 2013 12:29:29 AM

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

You've raised an old thread from the dead so I shall close it after this post. If you still need help after trying my suggestion, please start a new thread - it helps to keep the Forum tidier.

Restart your system and tap Function 8 then from the Advanced Boot menu, choose Safe Mode with Networking. At the login page, choose Administrator and in that account, you have the elevated Command prompt you require.
!