Domain vs Workgroup password problem

I changed the setting on my system from belonging to a domain to belonging to
a workgroup. After rebooting, the system will not accept the sign-on
password, with an error message to 'make sure your user name and domain are
correct". Any suggestions - I'm totally locked out of my system.
4 answers Last reply
More about domain workgroup password problem

    Now or are in a workgroup and don't belong to any domain. That means that you
    should use a Local user account (done throught the computer management of
    this machine).
    If you don't know such account, the only way I know is to try guessing
    password for Administrator account.

    Mohammed Lotfy wrote:

    > Now or are in a workgroup and don't belong to any domain. That means
    > that you
    > should use a Local user account (done throught the computer
    > management of this machine).
    > If you don't know such account, the only way I know is to try guessing
    > password for Administrator account.
    >
    > "Letgar" wrote:
    >
    >> I changed the setting on my system from belonging to a domain to
    >> belonging to
    >> a workgroup. After rebooting, the system will not accept the sign-on
    >> password, with an error message to 'make sure your user name and
    >> domain are
    >> correct". Any suggestions - I'm totally locked out of my system.

    If you do not have a local account with administrator privileges on the
    machine, you will need to take it to your work systems administrator
    and have them rejoin you to the domain.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Letgar wrote:
    > I changed the setting on my system from belonging to a domain to belonging to
    > a workgroup. After rebooting, the system will not accept the sign-on
    > password, with an error message to 'make sure your user name and domain are
    > correct". Any suggestions - I'm totally locked out of my system.

    By changing the computer from the domain to a workgroup, you have
    destroyed the trust between the domain and the machine. In doing so,
    you have also rendered any domain login credentials as invalid. You
    need to be physically connected to the domain network, you need to
    have administrative privileges to the workstation, and you need to
    have administrative privileges on the domain. Then you can add the
    machine back on to the domain, after having first deleted the
    computer's old domain account (unless you've also renamed the
    computer).

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Letgar wrote:
    > I changed the setting on my system from belonging to a domain to
    > belonging to a workgroup. After rebooting, the system will not
    > accept the sign-on password, with an error message to 'make sure your
    > user name and domain are correct". Any suggestions - I'm totally
    > locked out of my system.

    To chime in:

    The only way you can log in is by using the local admin account & password -
    if you don't know it, there are utilities to crack it, but note that even
    this will not 'restore' anything to its previous settings or give you access
    to your old domain profile. If this is a company computer, you need to bring
    it back to work and ask the domain admin to rejoin it to the domain. He or
    she will need to know the local admin credentials on the computer.

    Note - you don't need to change to a workgroup just to access resources on
    it. You shouldn't play with your laptop's network settings at all. Once
    you've logged in using your domain account (using cached credentials), and
    have an IP address on the home network, you can map drives, use printers,
    whatnot, very easily - one way, in a command line:

    net use x: \\computername\sharename /user:computername\username <enter>

Security Domain Microsoft Windows XP