Disabling Broadband Connection in other user accounts

January 23, 2005 10:33:03 AM

Hi!
First time I've been in here, so hope I'm posting in the right place -
please redirect me if this is the wrong place.

My sister has XP Pro (I think version 1) and is preparing to connect to
Broadband (currently dialup). Her computer has herself as Administrator and
her kids as limited users. She wants to know if it is possible to prevent
her kids from connecting to Broadband in their user accounts and they can
only connect through her account - that is - disable connecting in their own
accounts and connect only in her account. Is there a way to do this?

Much appreciated!
--
Pete
January 23, 2005 4:39:12 PM

Pete - been there and done that, I think! When I lived in GA and had DSL
and guests coming to stay for a week or more, and a need to ensure my own
privacy of documents, etc., I set a password onto my own account, and set up
a limited "guest" account. The limited account had no access to the internet
at all. I set up another account with a password and it had access. My
visitors were able to use the internet when I either told them the password
to that account, or logged them onto that account .... without compromising
my personal account. I'd suggest she just try it through a friend or
someone who already has the same or similar type of service and also the same
operating system so she can test it out for herself.

In my current situation, there are 2 computers in the household, and we
recently upgraded from dialup to DSL with wireless connectivity between the
two computers. The main connection is on my computer and that computer is
all password protected. The wireless connection is on the other computer
which a young person uses for homework, etc. We could not find a way to
block her from getting onto internet without parental permission because of
the "always on" and network set up. Same concern your sister has. In the
end, what we do is simply detach the little wireless receiver from it's usb
cable and store it out of her access. That works marvelously, and blocks
her from being able to get onto internet at will.

"Mulletdaisies" wrote:

> Hi!
> First time I've been in here, so hope I'm posting in the right place -
> please redirect me if this is the wrong place.
>
> My sister has XP Pro (I think version 1) and is preparing to connect to
> Broadband (currently dialup). Her computer has herself as Administrator and
> her kids as limited users. She wants to know if it is possible to prevent
> her kids from connecting to Broadband in their user accounts and they can
> only connect through her account - that is - disable connecting in their own
> accounts and connect only in her account. Is there a way to do this?
>
> Much appreciated!
> --
> Pete
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 6:41:01 PM

Hi Wendy (and Gary),

Thank you both for your quick replies. Ummmmm.....not quite what my sisters
situation is....but that's ok - I don't think I was clear enough. I'll use
an example (I don't need this set-up for myself - it is for my sister).

Mycomputer has XP Pro on it and the separate logins (user accounts) are MOI
(administrator rights) and Alpha (limited access rights), Beta (limited),
Centauri(limited) and Delta (limited). Broadband is being installed on this
one computer and MOI is to be the only one who can access the Broadband. The
kids will still have their own login account(to XP, not to broadband) but
will not have access the Broadband from their own account. To use Broadband,
they have to ask their mum, who will sign them in to her XP account and they
can access the Intenrnet only through her XP sign in. This way, she can
monitor their usage and where they go on the Internet and they can only do it
while she is there - because only she knows the password to her XP login.

My question is (and I am asking this only because I'm not an XP user) is it
possible to set it up so that Broadband is disabled in the kids account and
is enabled in the parents account. As I understand it, with XP and 5
separate logins, if you set-up Broadband on the Administrator account, it
automatically appears in the other XP logins. Is that right? If so, is it
possible to disable the connection in the kids account and only have the
account active in the parents account? IF this is possible, how?

Thanks folks for your patience and help!

Pete

"Wendy" wrote:

> Pete - been there and done that, I think! When I lived in GA and had DSL
> and guests coming to stay for a week or more, and a need to ensure my own
> privacy of documents, etc., I set a password onto my own account, and set up
> a limited "guest" account. The limited account had no access to the internet
> at all. I set up another account with a password and it had access. My
> visitors were able to use the internet when I either told them the password
> to that account, or logged them onto that account .... without compromising
> my personal account. I'd suggest she just try it through a friend or
> someone who already has the same or similar type of service and also the same
> operating system so she can test it out for herself.
>
> In my current situation, there are 2 computers in the household, and we
> recently upgraded from dialup to DSL with wireless connectivity between the
> two computers. The main connection is on my computer and that computer is
> all password protected. The wireless connection is on the other computer
> which a young person uses for homework, etc. We could not find a way to
> block her from getting onto internet without parental permission because of
> the "always on" and network set up. Same concern your sister has. In the
> end, what we do is simply detach the little wireless receiver from it's usb
> cable and store it out of her access. That works marvelously, and blocks
> her from being able to get onto internet at will.
>
> "Mulletdaisies" wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > First time I've been in here, so hope I'm posting in the right place -
> > please redirect me if this is the wrong place.
> >
> > My sister has XP Pro (I think version 1) and is preparing to connect to
> > Broadband (currently dialup). Her computer has herself as Administrator and
> > her kids as limited users. She wants to know if it is possible to prevent
> > her kids from connecting to Broadband in their user accounts and they can
> > only connect through her account - that is - disable connecting in their own
> > accounts and connect only in her account. Is there a way to do this?
> >
> > Much appreciated!
> > --
> > Pete
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 9:22:01 PM

Hi Pete,

Not sure the basis for the question. So let me explain this and see if this makes sense. The
boardband connection is done using an account that is approved and authorized by the ISP
offering the broadband. Anyone using a machine on that connection will be using that account.

Your sister has a contract with the ISP for braodband services. So anyone using any machine
at your sister's house that goes through that broadband connection is using her account to do
so.

If one of her children log onto the computer with their own user account on the computer and
they access the Internet through the broadband connection, they are doing so with your
sister's broadband account.

May want to clarify with your sister what her concerns are.

HTH,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: "=?Utf-8?B?TXVsbGV0ZGFpc2llcw==?="
<Mulletdaisies@discussions.microsoft.com>
'--'Subject: Disabling Broadband Connection in other user accounts
'--'Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 07:33:03 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
'--'
'--'Hi!
'--'First time I've been in here, so hope I'm posting in the right place -
'--'please redirect me if this is the wrong place.
'--'
'--'My sister has XP Pro (I think version 1) and is preparing to connect to
'--'Broadband (currently dialup). Her computer has herself as Administrator and
'--'her kids as limited users. She wants to know if it is possible to prevent
'--'her kids from connecting to Broadband in their user accounts and they can
'--'only connect through her account - that is - disable connecting in their own
'--'accounts and connect only in her account. Is there a way to do this?
'--'
'--'Much appreciated!
'--'--
'--'Pete
'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.
!