user account password - lost

where is this data actually stored? my teen thought he was a real
know-it-all and assigned his account a password (which he now doesn't
remember) and can't get at homework, etc. isn't there some way we can get
to the password information to see what it is without blowing away the
entire account? we are on XP Home with service pack 2

thanks!
1 answer Last reply
More about user account password lost

    "Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > where is this data actually stored? my teen thought he was a real
    > know-it-all and assigned his account a password (which he now doesn't
    > remember) and can't get at homework, etc. isn't there some way we can
    > get
    > to the password information to see what it is without blowing away the
    > entire account? we are on XP Home with service pack 2
    >
    > thanks!

    Blowing away the account won't help.

    Log into an account that is a computer administrator and change his password
    using the Users and Passwords control panel item.

    Hint: you can log into the built-in account called "Administrator" if you
    boot to Safe Mode. The password for this account is probably blank unless
    you have assigned one.

    To use a Safe Boot option, follow these steps: 1. Restart your computer and
    start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. On a computer that is configured
    for booting to multiple operating systems, you can press the F8 key when you
    the Boot Menu appears.
    2. Select an option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears,
    and then press ENTER.
    3. When the Boot menu appears again, and the words "Safe Mode" appear
    in blue at the bottom, select the installation that you want to start, and
    then press ENTER.

    Alternatively, you can use an account with administrative rights and take
    ownership of the files in his C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\*username* profile
    folder. http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421 Although try resetting
    his password first.

    --
    Colin Nash