Hyperthreading and TV lockups

Maverick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Does anybody have the 'fix' from Microsoft for lockups of the MMC
programs when run on a hyperthreaded system?

Does it work? Is it worth the $35 or whatever MS will charge me for
it to fix the problem?

I hate the thought of speding that much for a single file to fix the
problem. It will be in the SP2 when the get around to releasing it
someday... but until then I can do vidcaps or watch TV.

Bax

Search for "tunerfix", and you should find it many places. Here is one:
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/jt007/TUNERFIX.exe

It definitely works.

"Maverick" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody have the 'fix' from Microsoft for lockups of the MMC
> programs when run on a hyperthreaded system?
>
> Does it work? Is it worth the $35 or whatever MS will charge me for
> it to fix the problem?
>
> I hate the thought of speding that much for a single file to fix the
> problem. It will be in the SP2 when the get around to releasing it
> someday... but until then I can do vidcaps or watch TV.

"Maverick" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody have the 'fix' from Microsoft for lockups of the MMC
> programs when run on a hyperthreaded system?
>
> Does it work? Is it worth the $35 or whatever MS will charge me for
> it to fix the problem?
>
> I hate the thought of speding that much for a single file to fix the
> problem. It will be in the SP2 when the get around to releasing it
> someday... but until then I can do vidcaps or watch TV.

Google hard enough and you should be able to find it. I know I didn't have
to pay to download the fix.

Unfortunately I don't know if I've archived it. Can't find it where it
should be.

Maverick wrote:

> Does anybody have the 'fix' from Microsoft for lockups of the MMC
> programs when run on a hyperthreaded system?
>
> Does it work? Is it worth the $35 or whatever MS will charge me for
> it to fix the problem?

What leads you to believe that Microsoft will charge you $35? If the
knowledgebase says to call tech support for the hotfix there's no charge.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Maverick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You only get two 'free' calls. I've used 'em both.

Thanks for the assist folks, after running the fix all is well again.
:)

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:04:40 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>Maverick wrote:
>
>> Does anybody have the 'fix' from Microsoft for lockups of the MMC
>> programs when run on a hyperthreaded system?
>>
>> Does it work? Is it worth the $35 or whatever MS will charge me for
>> it to fix the problem?
>
>What leads you to believe that Microsoft will charge you $35? If the
>knowledgebase says to call tech support for the hotfix there's no charge.
>
>> I hate the thought of speding that much for a single file to fix the
>> problem. It will be in the SP2 when the get around to releasing it
>> someday... but until then I can do vidcaps or watch TV.

"Maverick" <not@home.com> wrote in message
> Does anybody have the 'fix' from Microsoft for lockups of the MMC
> programs when run on a hyperthreaded system?

Which KB article covers this? I did a search but did not find ...

"OppyLock" <yeah@right.com> wrote:

>"Maverick" <not@home.com> wrote in message
>> Does anybody have the 'fix' from Microsoft for lockups of the MMC
>> programs when run on a hyperthreaded system?
>
>Which KB article covers this? I did a search but did not find ...

It's addressed in Microsoft Knowledgebase Article Q817589

Here's the link:

;Q817589]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q817589

TV Tuner Stops Responding
View products that this article applies to.
CPR - WinXP - Hotfix in SP2
SYMPTOMS
When you use a the TV tuner feature of your soundcard, the TV tuner
program may stop responding (hang).
CAUSE
This problem may occur if your processor uses hyperthread technology.
RESOLUTION
A supported fix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only
intended to correct the problem described in this article. Only apply
it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This fix
may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely
affected by this problem, Microsoft recommends that you wait for the
next Windows XP service pack that contains this fix.

To resolve this problem immediately, contact Microsoft Product Support
Services to obtain the fix. For a complete list of Microsoft Product
Support Services phone numbers and information about support costs,
visit the following Microsoft Web site:
;CNTACTMS]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;[LN];CNTACTMS

Note In special cases, charges that are ordinarily incurred for
support calls may be canceled if a Microsoft Support Professional
determines that a specific update will resolve your problem. The usual
support costs will apply to additional support questions and issues
that do not qualify for the specific update in question. The English
version of this fix has the file attributes (or later) that are listed
in the following table. The dates and times for these files are listed
in coordinated universal time (UTC). When you view the file
information, it is converted to local time. To find the difference
between UTC and local time, use the Time Zone tab in the Date and Time
tool in Control Panel.
Date Time Version Size File name
01-Apr-2003 09:37 5.3.2600.1193 45,440 Stream.sys

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft
products that are listed at the beginning of this article.
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Last Reviewed: 7/14/2003 (1.0)

Wes Neuenschwander