Add/Remove White Space

A few days ago there was something on a newsgroup explaining how to get rid
of white space in add/remove.

I didn't need the info then but now I do. Can someone direct me to where
that information is?

Thanks

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, scroll down to
Item No. 226 (right column) and click on "Remove the White Space from
Add or Remove".

[Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"Brian Gotjunk" wrote:

> A few days ago there was something on a newsgroup explaining how to get
rid
> of white space in add/remove.
>
> I didn't need the info then but now I do. Can someone direct me to where
> that information is?
>
> Thanks

Hi Brian,

See this, from David Candy

<Quote>
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
Look under here in the registry, one of the icons have a negative
number. Change it to a positive and most files hace a 1 icon. Windows
will try to guess the icon if you remove the entry altogether.
</Quote>

Also see:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=%23U1RXkvZEHA.2488%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Hi Brian,

See this, from David Candy

<Quote>
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
Look under here in the registry, one of the icons have a negative
number. Change it to a positive and most files hace a 1 icon. Windows
will try to guess the icon if you remove the entry altogether.
</Quote>

Also see:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=%23U1RXkvZEHA.2488%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
>A few days ago there was something on a newsgroup explaining how to get rid
> of white space in add/remove.
>
> I didn't need the info then but now I do. Can someone direct me to where
> that information is?
>
> Thanks

There are quite a number of entries and all of them have {} brackets around
them. The odd man out has a '_is1' outside of the final bracket.

Is that the one I need to change, and should I just delete the '_is1'

It is on a Win2000 machine and the add/remove panel is completely blank and
there is a no scroll bar on the right.

BG

Hi Brian,

See this, from David Candy

<Quote>
HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
Look under here in the registry, one of the icons have a negative
number. Change it to a positive and most files hace a 1 icon. Windows
will try to guess the icon if you remove the entry altogether.
</Quote>

Also see:
http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=%23U1RXkvZEHA.2488%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
>A few days ago there was something on a newsgroup explaining how to get rid
> of white space in add/remove.
>
> I didn't need the info then but now I do. Can someone direct me to where
> that information is?
>
> Thanks

This is Brian writing away from home

I am in the registry (and I think I will randomly delete stuff - just
kidding)

There are quite a number of entries and all of them have {} brackets around
them. The odd man out has a '_is1' outside of the final bracket.

Is that the one I need to change, and should I just delete the '_is1'

It is on a Win2000 machine and the add/remove panel is completely blank and
there is a no scroll bar on the right.

BG

Brian,

It's the "DisplayIcon" string in the right-pane, which contains the negative number,

Example: AutoCad entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{578
3F2D7-0109-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}]
"DisplayIcon"="C:\\Program Files\\AutoCAD LT 2002\\aclt.exe,-1"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message news:OpzAVRmAFHA.2032@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> Hi Brian,
>
> See this, from David Candy
>
> <Quote>
> HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
> Look under here in the registry, one of the icons have a negative
> number. Change it to a positive and most files hace a 1 icon. Windows
> will try to guess the icon if you remove the entry altogether.
> </Quote>
>
> Also see:
> http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=%23U1RXkvZEHA.2488%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
>>A few days ago there was something on a newsgroup explaining how to get rid
>> of white space in add/remove.
>>
>> I didn't need the info then but now I do. Can someone direct me to where
>> that information is?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> There are quite a number of entries and all of them have {} brackets around
> them. The odd man out has a '_is1' outside of the final bracket.
>
> Is that the one I need to change, and should I just delete the '_is1'
>
> It is on a Win2000 machine and the add/remove panel is completely blank and
> there is a no scroll bar on the right.
>
> BG

Ramesh,

There was one file that had a '-111' and I deleted the comma and the '-111'

I still don't have any icons in add/remove. I have the text for the icons
which should run down the left side, except that the text runs all together
across the top of the window.

I am running Win 2k if that has any bearing on the issue

BG

Brian,

It's the "DisplayIcon" string in the right-pane, which contains the negative
number,

Example: AutoCad entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{578
3F2D7-0109-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}]
"DisplayIcon"="C:\\Program Files\\AutoCAD LT 2002\\aclt.exe,-1"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message

> Hi Brian,
>
> See this, from David Candy
>
> <Quote>
> HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall
> Look under here in the registry, one of the icons have a negative
> number. Change it to a positive and most files hace a 1 icon. Windows
> will try to guess the icon if you remove the entry altogether.
> </Quote>
>
> Also see:

http://groups.google.co.in/groups?hl=en&lr=&selm=%23U1RXkvZEHA.2488%40tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl

> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Brian Gotjunk" <briangotjunk@yahooGARBAGE.com> wrote in message
>>A few days ago there was something on a newsgroup explaining how to get
rid
>> of white space in add/remove.
>>
>> I didn't need the info then but now I do. Can someone direct me to where
>> that information is?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> There are quite a number of entries and all of them have {} brackets
around
> them. The odd man out has a '_is1' outside of the final bracket.
>
> Is that the one I need to change, and should I just delete the '_is1'
>
> It is on a Win2000 machine and the add/remove panel is completely blank
and
> there is a no scroll bar on the right.
>
> BG

Brian,

Can you export the \Uninstall key and send to my email id? If yes, remove
text "online." from my mail.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User