I recently installed the spyware program from microsoft. After I had my
computer is not running correctly. It keeps telling me that the firewall is
not activated but I can not get it to turn on. I have tried going to my
computer, security centre and following the prompts but it says do you want
to start the firewall internet connection service I click Yes but then it
says Starting..... Sorry windows cannot start the ics service?????? What do I
do?

I have the same problem. Would appreciate any kind of help y'all can offer!

"Can't start ics service" wrote:

> I recently installed the spyware program from microsoft. After I had my
> computer is not running correctly. It keeps telling me that the firewall is
> not activated but I can not get it to turn on. I have tried going to my
> computer, security centre and following the prompts but it says do you want
> to start the firewall internet connection service I click Yes but then it
> says Starting..... Sorry windows cannot start the ics service?????? What do I
> do?

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Scroll down 16 threads, to a thread titled windows firewall. Malke helped me
with the same problem.

"Can't start ics service" wrote:

> I recently installed the spyware program from microsoft. After I had my
> computer is not running correctly. It keeps telling me that the firewall is
> not activated but I can not get it to turn on. I have tried going to my
> computer, security centre and following the prompts but it says do you want
> to start the firewall internet connection service I click Yes but then it
> says Starting..... Sorry windows cannot start the ics service?????? What do I
> do?

Can't start ics service wrote:

> I recently installed the spyware program from microsoft. After I had my
> computer is not running correctly. It keeps telling me that the firewall is
> not activated but I can not get it to turn on. I have tried going to my
> computer, security centre and following the prompts but it says do you want
> to start the firewall internet connection service I click Yes but then it
> says Starting..... Sorry windows cannot start the ics service??????
> What do I do?
Hi

If you have Service Pack 2 for WinXP installed, please try this (non-SP2
solution further down in this post):

Start/Run --> cmd.exe

and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:

netsh.exe winsock reset

and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

If that doesn't cut it, or you don't have WinXP SP2, try this one:

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Malke

Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

> Can't start ics service wrote:
>
>> I recently installed the spyware program from microsoft. After I had
>> my computer is not running correctly. It keeps telling me that the
>> firewall is not activated but I can not get it to turn on. I have
>> tried going to my computer, security centre and following the prompts
>> but it says do you want to start the firewall internet connection
>> service I click Yes but then it says Starting..... Sorry windows
>> cannot start the ics service?????? What do I do?
> Hi
>
> If you have Service Pack 2 for WinXP installed, please try this
> (non-SP2 solution further down in this post):
>
> Start/Run --> cmd.exe
>
> and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
>
> netsh.exe winsock reset
>
> and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
>

> If that doesn't cut it, or you don't have WinXP SP2, try this one:
>
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html

Actually, this is a known issue with the *beta* MAS. To cure it:

Start>Run cmd [enter]
netsh winsock reset [enter]
Follow prompts and reboot.

Malke
--
MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
Elephant Boy Computers

Malke wrote:

> Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
>
>>If you have Service Pack 2 for WinXP installed, please try this
>>(non-SP2 solution further down in this post):
>>
>>Start/Run --> cmd.exe
>>
>>and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
>>
>>netsh.exe winsock reset
>>
>>and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
>>

>>If that doesn't cut it, or you don't have WinXP SP2, try this one:
>>
>>http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
>>

> Actually, this is a known issue with the *beta* MAS. To cure it:

Well, more an after-effect of removing spyware I think (spyware that
have hooked itself into winsock, and when MAS removes the spyware
files, winsock becomes "corrupt")

> Start>Run cmd [enter]
> netsh winsock reset [enter]
> Follow prompts and reboot.

Note that this is only for those with SP2 for WinXP installed (as I
did mention in my first post when listing this solution).

Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:

> Malke wrote:
>
>> Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
>>
>>>If you have Service Pack 2 for WinXP installed, please try this
>>>(non-SP2 solution further down in this post):
>>>
>>>Start/Run --> cmd.exe
>>>
>>>and then, in the command prompt that opened up, type:
>>>
>>>netsh.exe winsock reset
>>>
>>>and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.
>>>

>>>If that doesn't cut it, or you don't have WinXP SP2, try this one:
>>>
>>>http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
>>>

>> Actually, this is a known issue with the *beta* MAS. To cure it:
>
> Well, more an after-effect of removing spyware I think (spyware that
> have hooked itself into winsock, and when MAS removes the spyware
> files, winsock becomes "corrupt")
>

>> Start>Run cmd [enter]
>> netsh winsock reset [enter]
>> Follow prompts and reboot.
>
> Note that this is only for those with SP2 for WinXP installed (as I
> did mention in my first post when listing this solution).

Thanks, Torgeir. There is a rash of posts about this very problem in a
couple of other newsgroups this morning. I wonder if there is a
particular piece of malware that is interacting with MAS and causing
these symptoms. It will be hard to tell because it's not like we can
correlate exactly what crudware all these people had on their machines.
I'll make a note that the above fix only works with SP2 installed.

Cheers,

Malke
--

Malke wrote:

> Torgeir Bakken (MVP) wrote:
>>Malke wrote:

>>>Actually, this is a known issue with the *beta* MAS. To cure it:
>>
>>Well, more an after-effect of removing spyware I think (spyware that
>>have hooked itself into winsock, and when MAS removes the spyware
>>files, winsock becomes "corrupt")
>>
>>>Start>Run cmd [enter]
>>>netsh winsock reset [enter]
>>>Follow prompts and reboot.
>>
>>Note that this is only for those with SP2 for WinXP installed (as I
>>did mention in my first post when listing this solution).
>>

> Thanks, Torgeir. There is a rash of posts about this very problem in a
> couple of other newsgroups this morning. I wonder if there is a
> particular piece of malware that is interacting with MAS and causing
> these symptoms. It will be hard to tell because it's not like we can
> correlate exactly what crudware all these people had on their machines.
> I'll make a note that the above fix only works with SP2 installed.

And for those without WinXP SP2 (or if "netsh winsock reset"
doesn't cut it for SP2):

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: