Legend 822 CDT 600 MotherBoard.

Hello,,,, :) :)

And, thanks for your time, help, and advise!!!! :) :)

This system is a Pacakrd Bell Legend 822 CDT and has been upfraded to
48MB RAM and the Windows 98 SE was installed.

System works great, but I would like to flash a BIOS chip with the
latest BIOS on the file 600mb.exe. And, I do not want to do this with
the original chip in the BIOS slot.
A floppy was created using the 600mb.exe BIOS upgrade for this 600
Motherboard. It was executed to create the FLASH environment on a
floopy and then that floppy was made bootable W98SE with the
following:

sys c: a:

So it seemd that the instructions for doing a BIOS RECOVERY from the
instructions offered at the following link would be the trick:

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/600.htm

Power off the computer; remove the original chip; put in a fresh blank
chip and follow these BIOS RECOVERY instructions---seems simple
enough.

But, the setting of the J14 jumper to pins 1-2 was expected to allow
a boot block to be read from the floppy rather than the BIOS.

NOTE:

Just want to make sure I have a correct understning of
where pin 1 it for these pins:

Are these set of pins (J14, J15, J16, J17)
numbered starting at 1 from the closet edge of
the Motherboard?????

What happened is nothing,,,,,,there was no activity from the floppy,
no beeping once and no beeping twice to signal the end of the
recovery!!

Am I mis-interpreting these instructions at the above link or do I
need to do something different.

THANKS for your HELP, TIme, and Advise!! :) :)

Jerry
jglong3@att.net
8 answers Last reply
More about legend motherboard
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    What you want to do is called hot flashing
    If you power off the computer the bios shadow is
    gone and taking out the chip and putting in a
    new one will not restore the shadow

    I think that you are thinking that boot block will allow
    the new chip to function with the part of the bios chip that
    contains the basic floppy and isa video card instructions
    that are set and not normally wriiten to on the chip

    That may be true if the chip has theses variables on then

    Many peole do what is called a hot swap
    You boot and then the units is in dos mode or
    bios boot mode
    The bios is now shadowed and the system is working
    You remove the bios chip while unit is on You place in the new chip and then
    flash

    This is a little risky but is 99% certain not to screw the MB

    They also make a daughter card that allows
    piggyback and set the flash for the 2nd bios

    chip
    Much better system if you have the card

    Then again there is boot block
    The new chip must have the floppy and isa instructions engrained
    It will only see an ISA video card as that is the way it is set
    In fact many times boot block may not be need as booting will occur with the
    boot block area on chip

    What do you expect to gain with the new bios

    "Jerry .com>" <jglong3@<nospam> wrote in message

    > Hello,,,, :) :)
    >
    > And, thanks for your time, help, and advise!!!! :) :)
    >
    > This system is a Pacakrd Bell Legend 822 CDT and has been upfraded to
    > 48MB RAM and the Windows 98 SE was installed.
    >
    > System works great, but I would like to flash a BIOS chip with the
    > latest BIOS on the file 600mb.exe. And, I do not want to do this with
    > the original chip in the BIOS slot.
    > A floppy was created using the 600mb.exe BIOS upgrade for this 600
    > Motherboard. It was executed to create the FLASH environment on a
    > floopy and then that floppy was made bootable W98SE with the
    > following:
    >
    > sys c: a:
    >

    > So it seemd that the instructions for doing a BIOS RECOVERY from the
    > instructions offered at the following link would be the trick:
    >
    > http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/600.htm
    >
    > Power off the computer; remove the original chip; put in a fresh blank
    > chip and follow these BIOS RECOVERY instructions---seems simple
    > enough.
    >
    > But, the setting of the J14 jumper to pins 1-2 was expected to allow
    > a boot block to be read from the floppy rather than the BIOS.
    >
    > NOTE:
    >
    > Just want to make sure I have a correct understning of
    > where pin 1 it for these pins:
    >
    > Are these set of pins (J14, J15, J16, J17)
    > numbered starting at 1 from the closet edge of
    > the Motherboard?????
    >
    > What happened is nothing,,,,,,there was no activity from the floppy,
    > no beeping once and no beeping twice to signal the end of the
    > recovery!!
    >
    > Am I mis-interpreting these instructions at the above link or do I
    > need to do something different.
    >
    > THANKS for your HELP, TIme, and Advise!! :) :)
    >
    > Jerry
    > jglong3@att.net

  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Yes! Before following a potentially unfamilar procedure, "What do you expect to
    gain with the new bios?" The only reasons to update a flash BIOS are to
    correct a malfunction which effects the way you use the computer, to add new
    features, or to extend existing features... Ben Myers

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:58:45 -0500, Jerry <jglong3@<nospam>.com> wrote:

    >Hello,,,, :) :)
    >
    >And, thanks for your time, help, and advise!!!! :) :)
    >
    >This system is a Pacakrd Bell Legend 822 CDT and has been upfraded to
    >48MB RAM and the Windows 98 SE was installed.
    >
    >System works great, but I would like to flash a BIOS chip with the
    >latest BIOS on the file 600mb.exe. And, I do not want to do this with
    >the original chip in the BIOS slot.
    >A floppy was created using the 600mb.exe BIOS upgrade for this 600
    >Motherboard. It was executed to create the FLASH environment on a
    >floopy and then that floppy was made bootable W98SE with the
    >following:
    >
    > sys c: a:
    >

    >So it seemd that the instructions for doing a BIOS RECOVERY from the
    >instructions offered at the following link would be the trick:
    >
    > http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/600.htm
    >
    >Power off the computer; remove the original chip; put in a fresh blank
    >chip and follow these BIOS RECOVERY instructions---seems simple
    >enough.
    >
    >But, the setting of the J14 jumper to pins 1-2 was expected to allow
    >a boot block to be read from the floppy rather than the BIOS.
    >
    > NOTE:
    >
    > Just want to make sure I have a correct understning of
    > where pin 1 it for these pins:
    >
    > Are these set of pins (J14, J15, J16, J17)
    > numbered starting at 1 from the closet edge of
    > the Motherboard?????
    >
    >What happened is nothing,,,,,,there was no activity from the floppy,
    >no beeping once and no beeping twice to signal the end of the
    >recovery!!
    >
    >Am I mis-interpreting these instructions at the above link or do I
    >need to do something different.
    >
    >THANKS for your HELP, TIme, and Advise!! :) :)
    >
    >Jerry
    >jglong3@att.net

  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Hello Ben,,,,,

    THANKS for the Reply! :)

    One reason is to learn how to do this without endangering the original
    BIOS chip on the 600 MotherBoard. The use of the 600mb.exe as I
    understand creates a bootable environment to a floopy disk in \A: that
    upon booting from that floppy starts the flash after the boot (a HOT
    FLASH). This does not allow the original chip to be removed and a new
    blank chip to be inserted. If I have not understood the comments about
    creating this bootable floopy correctly please let me know.

    The expected gain is to understand if the BIOS RECOVERY PROCEDURE will
    allow a new blank BIOS chip to be flashed by manipulating the defined
    jumper and then proceeding with the BIOS UPGRADE PROCEDURE that are
    listed in the link below.

    Also, I do not have an external FLASHER and want to flash BIOS code to
    a chip! But, not a HOT FLASH to the original chip which is what I
    think I understand happens when using the 600mb.exe to create a
    bootable floppy.

    In the past this has been done on other MotherBoards with a process
    that allows a FLASH .exe process to be executed with the input
    argument of a file containing the BIOS code without a reboot. This
    allows the original BIOS chip to be removed and a new blank BIOS chip
    installed that is to be FLASHed and then a Re-boot to use the new BIOS
    chip and code.

    The 600mb.exe file is a self extracting .exe and creates a floppy in
    \A: with the files for flashing and then instructs to create that
    floppy as bootable with:

    sys c: a:

    Further, as I understand, this Bootable disk when booted will perfrom
    the FLASH after the boot (a HOT FLASH) which does not allow the
    original chip to be removed and a new blank chip to be installed.

    At the current time I have used 600mb.exe to create the bootable
    floppy with the files for flashing the 600 Motherboard.

    But, I have not executed the boot using this floopy because that boot
    does the flash and as such does not allow the original BIOS chip to be
    removed and a new blank chip to be installed.

    Reading the following instructions about the 600 MotherBoad from the
    link listed below indicated the following might be a safe way to
    preserve the original chip by removing the original chip and inserting
    a blank chip and then settting the jumper as indicated:

    BIOS Recovery

    1. The 'FLASH NORMAL/FLASH RECOVERY' jumper block, J14 is located
    near the Primary Power Connector, J20/J22.

    2. Move the 'FLASH NORMAL/FLASH RECOVERY' jumper block, J14 from
    pins 2-3 to pins 1-2.

    3. Insert the BIOS upgrade diskette and reboot the system. No video
    is available during the procedure.

    4. The system beeps once and starts copying the recovery code into
    the CMOS Flash memory.

    5. The system beeps twice as the recovery completes.

    6. Turn off the system and move the jumper block,J14 from pins 1-2
    to pins 2-3.

    7. Leave the BIOS upgrade diskette in the floppy drive, and
    continue with the original upgrade following the procedure
    described in 'BIOS UPGRADE PROCEDURE'.

    The 'BIOS UPGRADE PROCEDURE is in that same web page pointed to by the
    link below

    Based on these two procedures: powering off the computer; remove the
    original chip; put in a fresh blank chip and follow these BIOS
    RECOVERY instructions seemed simple enough.

    The setting of the J14 jumper to pins 1-2 was expected to allow
    a boot block to be read from the floppy rather than the BIOS chip.
    What happened is nothing,,,,,,there was no activity from the floppy.
    No beeping once to siganl the beginning of the recovery and no beeping
    twice to signal the end of the recovery!!

    Am I mis-interpreting these instructions at the link listed below or
    do I need to do something different like finding an external flasher?

    Also, I just want to make sure I have a correct understanding of
    where pin 1 is for these jumpers:

    On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:10:39 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
    (Ben Myers) wrote:

    >Yes! Before following a potentially unfamilar procedure, "What do you expect to
    >gain with the new bios?" The only reasons to update a flash BIOS are to
    >correct a malfunction which effects the way you use the computer, to add new
    >features, or to extend existing features... Ben Myers
    >
    >On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:58:45 -0500, Jerry <jglong3@<nospam>.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,,,, :) :)
    >>
    >>And, thanks for your time, help, and advise!!!! :) :)
    >>
    >>This system is a Pacakrd Bell Legend 822 CDT and has been upfraded to
    >>48MB RAM and the Windows 98 SE was installed.
    >>
    >>System works great, but I would like to flash a BIOS chip with the
    >>latest BIOS on the file 600mb.exe. And, I do not want to do this with
    >>the original chip in the BIOS slot.
    >>A floppy was created using the 600mb.exe BIOS upgrade for this 600
    >>Motherboard. It was executed to create the FLASH environment on a
    >>floopy and then that floppy was made bootable W98SE with the
    >>following:
    >>
    >> sys c: a:
    >>

    >>So it seemd that the instructions for doing a BIOS RECOVERY from the
    >>instructions offered at the following link would be the trick:
    >>
    >> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/600.htm
    >>
    >>Power off the computer; remove the original chip; put in a fresh blank
    >>chip and follow these BIOS RECOVERY instructions---seems simple
    >>enough.
    >>
    >>But, the setting of the J14 jumper to pins 1-2 was expected to allow
    >>a boot block to be read from the floppy rather than the BIOS.
    >>
    >> NOTE:
    >>
    >> Just want to make sure I have a correct understning of
    >> where pin 1 it for these pins:
    >>
    >> Are these set of pins (J14, J15, J16, J17)
    >> numbered starting at 1 from the closet edge of
    >> the Motherboard?????
    >>
    >>What happened is nothing,,,,,,there was no activity from the floppy,
    >>no beeping once and no beeping twice to signal the end of the
    >>recovery!!
    >>
    >>Am I mis-interpreting these instructions at the above link or do I
    >>need to do something different.
    >>
    >>THANKS for your HELP, TIme, and Advise!! :) :)
    >>
    >>Jerry
    >>jglong3@att.net

  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    Count the pins on each side of the chip
    If each side has 16 pins
    Send me the chip and I have the equipment (maybe)
    to flash it here
    I will not know till I actually have ythe chip in hand

    Some of the smaller computer shops not the
    Best BUY Ids
    have the ability to program the chips

    It is actually a waste in any case
    What do you expect to get

    If it aint broken do not fix it

    What does the newer bios do
    It will never be a screaming deamon

> [...]
    > >>
    > >>Power off the computer; remove the original chip; put in a fresh blank
    > >>chip and follow these BIOS RECOVERY instructions---seems simple
    > >>enough.
    > >>
    > >>But, the setting of the J14 jumper to pins 1-2 was expected to allow
    > >>a boot block to be read from the floppy rather than the BIOS.
    > >>
    > >> NOTE:
    > >>
    > >> Just want to make sure I have a correct understning of
    > >> where pin 1 it for these pins:
    > >>
    > >> Are these set of pins (J14, J15, J16, J17)
    > >> numbered starting at 1 from the closet edge of
    > >> the Motherboard?????
    > >>
    > >>What happened is nothing,,,,,,there was no activity from the floppy,
    > >>no beeping once and no beeping twice to signal the end of the
    > >>recovery!!
    > >>
    > >>Am I mis-interpreting these instructions at the above link or do I
    > >>need to do something different.
    > >>
    > >>THANKS for your HELP, TIme, and Advise!! :) :)

  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    TEST TEST IGNORE this.

    Just found that replies from Ben and Metronid were seen here,,,,,,I
    cannot see them, trying to retrieve but not having any luck!

    Sent this to see if it will show up in the list for this subject.

    Jerry

    wrote:

    >Hello,,,, :) :)
    >
    >And, thanks for your time, help, and advise!!!! :) :)
    >
    >This system is a Pacakrd Bell Legend 822 CDT and has been upfraded to
    >48MB RAM and the Windows 98 SE was installed.
    >
    >System works great, but I would like to flash a BIOS chip with the
    >latest BIOS on the file 600mb.exe. And, I do not want to do this with
    >the original chip in the BIOS slot.
    >A floppy was created using the 600mb.exe BIOS upgrade for this 600
    >Motherboard. It was executed to create the FLASH environment on a
    >floopy and then that floppy was made bootable W98SE with the
    >following:
    >
    > sys c: a:
    >

    >So it seemd that the instructions for doing a BIOS RECOVERY from the
    >instructions offered at the following link would be the trick:
    >
    > http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/600.htm
    >
    >Power off the computer; remove the original chip; put in a fresh blank
    >chip and follow these BIOS RECOVERY instructions---seems simple
    >enough.
    >
    >But, the setting of the J14 jumper to pins 1-2 was expected to allow
    >a boot block to be read from the floppy rather than the BIOS.
    >
    > NOTE:
    >
    > Just want to make sure I have a correct understning of
    > where pin 1 it for these pins:
    >
    > Are these set of pins (J14, J15, J16, J17)
    > numbered starting at 1 from the closet edge of
    > the Motherboard?????
    >
    >What happened is nothing,,,,,,there was no activity from the floppy,
    >no beeping once and no beeping twice to signal the end of the
    >recovery!!
    >
    >Am I mis-interpreting these instructions at the above link or do I
    >need to do something different.
    >
    >THANKS for your HELP, TIme, and Advise!! :) :)
    >
    >Jerry
    >jglong3@att.net

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    > TEST TEST IGNORE this.
    >
    > Just found that replies from Ben and Metronid were seen here,,,,,,I
    > cannot see them, trying to retrieve but not having any luck!
    >
    > Sent this to see if it will show up in the list for this subject.
    >
    > Jerry

    I can see the posts. Hummm that is strange.

    Elector
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    "Jerry .com>" <jglong3@<nospam> wrote in message

    > TEST TEST IGNORE this.
    >
    > Just found that replies from Ben and Metronid were seen here,,,,,,I
    > cannot see them, trying to retrieve but not having any luck!
    >
    > Sent this to see if it will show up in the list for this subject.
    >
    > Jerry

    In fact the url below will take you to the full thread and Ben & Metronids
    answers.
    http://tinyurl.com/6rxr8

    Elector
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell (More info?)

    >In fact the url below will take you to the full thread and Ben & Metronids
    >answers.
    >http://tinyurl.com/6rxr8
    >

    >Elector

    Hello Metronid, Ben, and Elector, :) :)

    THANK you all for the REPLIES, plus your time, help, and advise!!! :)

    Thanks for the link above to GOOGLE. I can now see all replies.
    Turns out only Metronid's two replies were missing. I looked in my
    AT&T News Server and they are missing there as well. (????)
    Looks like Knology (new.knology.net) and AT&T
    (netnews.worldnet.att.net) are filtering Metronid's ISP (COMCAST????).

    THANKS Metronid for the replies. And, it is the HOT SWAP I want to do.
    Based on other forums discussions and their experiences I was warned
    that the floppy created by 600mb.exe upon a BOOT does the FLASH
    immediatly with allowing any user intervention, which prevents the HOT
    SWAP. That is, if I am interpreting correctly what was discussed.(??).
    Also, I took a look at the various files on the diskette and could not
    find a way to prevent this after boot so that the phlash.exe could be
    run manually. Also, there was no readme type document that defined how
    to use the phlash.exe with respect to input arguments or dos display
    selections.

    So, I was hoping that the BIOS RECOVERY instructions from the UK would
    allow a boot direct from the floppy based on the jumper setting. I now
    see this is not the case!

    The Catalyst chips I have are fresh from Catalyst and do not have the
    BOOT BLOCK. Only the manufacturer data, plus I tried one of them and
    it is not there. As, a result I sent a couple off to be FLASHED with
    the .rom file that was created to the floppy.

    THANKS for your offer!!!! :) :)

    My intent is to re-learn and learn what is avaialble today for
    FLASHING and creating and or modifying firmware code to flash, such
    as any available environments like assemblers, compilers, scripts,
    etc. The last time I did this on another computers octal or hex
    editor, created a paper tape and inpout that to ICE to write a PROM.

    The hardware you described sounds like a good thing to look into:

    "They also make a daughter card that allows
    piggyback and set the flash for the 2nd bios
    chip. Much better system if you have the card."

    If you have a link or any information about this that woould be GREAT!

    The PackardBell 600 MB (circa 1995) was eventually destined for the
    recycle bin anyway so I am using it as a learning tool. I am surprised
    that I have been able to get as far as I have with upgrading the
    original W3.1 to W95 and then W98SE. Still has the Pentium(r) 100 Mhz
    cpu and it runs ok. When W98SE was installed I see a little problem
    with two devices using the same interrupt for the COM1 and COM3 port.
    An internal modem (COM1) and an external modem (COM3) are using the
    same interrupt. And, the external modem works great, I have not tried
    the internal,,,,Under Windows 3.1 and 95 these were ok for Com1 and
    Com2 and were using seperate interrupts,,,,,,but that's part of
    another learning curve.

    I apologize for the lengthy Emails and------

    Again, THANKS for any further advise, time, and help!!!!

    Jerry

Packard Bell BIOS Motherboards Computers