Nec/Mitsu 19" vs 22" for 9800pro

Was thinking to upgrade my old sony 200es 17" monitor.

I'm looking at the Nec/Mitsu FE2111SB 22" CRT (~$550) and the DP930SB
19" CRT (~$290).

I like the bigger is better 22", but price and weight are making me
think of the 19" instead.

I'd like to hear what owners think about the advantages/disadvantages
of the big 22" models, and if 19" owners are happy with that size for
gaming.

Intend to use with a 9800Pro for gaming, DVD watching, and the usual
stuff. Figure this may be my last CRT so I'd like to get a good one.

Go for an LCD panel, way better image qality.

Jeff B

Here is my story if it helps.

I got a DP930SB in Jan'04, then I got a ATI 9800 pro in Feb. The
9800 supported dual monitors so I got a NEC LCD1515(Nothing fancy Analog 15"
LCD). I must say the LCD is very crisp compared to 930, it made me think the
CRT was blurry. When I program, the LCD is my main work window. I *really*
wanted to get another LCD and chuck the crt but the crt has its benefits.

I like to superbright mode button that the 930 has, it makes it easy to
*brighten* those dark levels with a push of a button. Also, I notice photos
and videos look better on a crt. I think that the crt does a better job with
the colors.

Also a side rant. I bought a Hitachi 17" (1280x1024) crt last year. I got
a headache after 30minutes because I had to focus on reading the finer
print. Game play the same as the CRT. I think 19" LCD would be fine on my
eyes but they are too expensive right now. Anyone else have this experience?

Summary

Game play Fine on both
Photo/Videos Crt is slightly better
Programming LCD all the way

I don't have a 22" but I did have a 21" inch in my office 3/4 years ago. I
found it to be a bit too big for my liking.

<videovideo@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Was thinking to upgrade my old sony 200es 17" monitor.
>
> I'm looking at the Nec/Mitsu FE2111SB 22" CRT (~$550) and the DP930SB
> 19" CRT (~$290).
>
> I like the bigger is better 22", but price and weight are making me
> think of the 19" instead.
>
> I'd like to hear what owners think about the advantages/disadvantages
> of the big 22" models, and if 19" owners are happy with that size for
> gaming.
>
> Intend to use with a 9800Pro for gaming, DVD watching, and the usual
> stuff. Figure this may be my last CRT so I'd like to get a good one.

I have the 19" one, it's an awesome, awesome piece of kit.

"jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message
> Go for an LCD panel, way better image qality.

No LCD yet matches a CRT for colour reproduction and response time, not to
mention resolution and price.

That's a huge price difference for the extra 3" of width.

Anyway, have you used a 19" or bigger monitor for gaming before? I actually
find my 19" a bit dizzying for fast FPS shooters. Maybe I'm sitting too
close (about arm's length).

<videovideo@nospam.com> wrote in message

> Was thinking to upgrade my old sony 200es 17" monitor.
>
> I'm looking at the Nec/Mitsu FE2111SB 22" CRT (~$550) and the DP930SB
> 19" CRT (~$290).
>
> I like the bigger is better 22", but price and weight are making me
> think of the 19" instead.
>
> I'd like to hear what owners think about the advantages/disadvantages
> of the big 22" models, and if 19" owners are happy with that size for
> gaming.
>
> Intend to use with a 9800Pro for gaming, DVD watching, and the usual
> stuff. Figure this may be my last CRT so I'd like to get a good one.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 19:06:42 +0000 (UTC), Dean Sniegowski
<sniegows@ihatespam.cs.ucdavis.edu> wrote:

>Here is my story if it helps.
>
> I got a DP930SB in Jan'04, then I got a ATI 9800 pro in Feb. The
>9800 supported dual monitors so I got a NEC LCD1515(Nothing fancy Analog 15"
>LCD). I must say the LCD is very crisp compared to 930, it made me think the
>CRT was blurry. When I program, the LCD is my main work window. I *really*
>wanted to get another LCD and chuck the crt but the crt has its benefits.

Did you try adjusting the Nec with the navaset software ?
Seems to be a common issue, that users need to set up the monitor with
the software downloaded from Nec's website.

>I like to superbright mode button that the 930 has, it makes it easy to
>*brighten* those dark levels with a push of a button. Also, I notice photos
>and videos look better on a crt. I think that the crt does a better job with
>the colors.
>
>Also a side rant. I bought a Hitachi 17" (1280x1024) crt last year. I got
>a headache after 30minutes because I had to focus on reading the finer
>print. Game play the same as the CRT. I think 19" LCD would be fine on my
>eyes but they are too expensive right now. Anyone else have this experience?
>
>Summary
>
>Game play Fine on both
>Photo/Videos Crt is slightly better
>Programming LCD all the way
>
>I don't have a 22" but I did have a 21" inch in my office 3/4 years ago. I
>found it to be a bit too big for my liking.

Yeah they are pretty big. Someone mentioned you really need
antialiasing on them.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 02:45:06 GMT, "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>That's a huge price difference for the extra 3" of width.

yeah, I've gotten to the point where I don't like to buy things that
are too expensive in case I get a lemon or something. Between the
extra cost and the price of repairs, you could just buy another
smaller one.

>Anyway, have you used a 19" or bigger monitor for gaming before? I actually
>find my 19" a bit dizzying for fast FPS shooters. Maybe I'm sitting too
>close (about arm's length).

No, but a cheap high sounds ok ;)

"jeff b" <fakeaddy@fjyfj.com> wrote in message
> Go for an LCD panel, way better image qality.

Providied you don't mind being forced to run all your games and applications
at a silly high resolution of course ;)

Perhaps, but for any serious competitive gaming in Quake III (back when it
was still popular), I always found myself reducing the screen size by
hitting the "-" key. And no, it wasn't because my framerates were bad.

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 05:08:30 -0700, videovideo@nospam.com wrote:

>Was thinking to upgrade my old sony 200es 17" monitor.
>
>I'm looking at the Nec/Mitsu FE2111SB 22" CRT (~$550) and the DP930SB
>19" CRT (~$290).

What a coincidence. I just happen to have recently moved from a 17"
to the NEC/Mitsu FP2141 22" monitor with 20" diagonal, and am running
it in conjunction with a 9800 Pro, and all I can say is that I can't
get over how beautiful this monitor's display quality is.

>I like the bigger is better 22", but price and weight are making me
>think of the 19" instead.

It depends on how you look at it. The FP2141sb cost me LESS than my
previous 17" EIZO! They've really come down in price in the past few
years, and I'm over the moon. :)

>I'd like to hear what owners think about the advantages/disadvantages
>of the big 22" models, and if 19" owners are happy with that size for
>gaming.

Hope this helps.

Ricardo Delazy

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 01:01:12 +1000, Ricardo Delazy
<celcius@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 05:08:30 -0700, videovideo@nospam.com wrote:
>
>>Was thinking to upgrade my old sony 200es 17" monitor.
>>
>>I'm looking at the Nec/Mitsu FE2111SB 22" CRT (~$550) and the DP930SB
>>19" CRT (~$290).
>
>What a coincidence. I just happen to have recently moved from a 17"
>to the NEC/Mitsu FP2141 22" monitor with 20" diagonal, and am running
>it in conjunction with a 9800 Pro, and all I can say is that I can't
>get over how beautiful this monitor's display quality is.
>
>>I like the bigger is better 22", but price and weight are making me
>>think of the 19" instead.
>
>It depends on how you look at it. The FP2141sb cost me LESS than my
>previous 17" EIZO! They've really come down in price in the past few
>years, and I'm over the moon. :)
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Ricardo Delazy

Well, I went with the Nec/Mitsu DP930SB 19" CRT (~$290).
The price dropped to $269, then $257 at newegg over father's day.
Dell had some good prices too.

I figured I'd wait for a good LCD in a couple of years for the BIG
20+" picture and get light weight, good geometry, and pivot capability
then.

The 19 incher is a good compromise. Not too much trouble lifting it
and wrestling it into place. Size is amazing. It's almost the same
volume as my old sony 17", just a bigger screen. The case is much
better looking than the pictures of it suggest. It has a nice tight
well made feel and heft to it. Comes with the Mitsubishi brand on it.
Thought it might be old as they've been around awhile, but Everest
reports it was made in March 04.

At 1024x768, it brings back the old 800x600 feel without half the
webpage missing. A nice boost for old eyes. Can actually see those
little tool icons ;)

Pretty amazed at the improved visual quality. Some err.. favorite
pictures are surprisingly better with this monster. Details are
enhanced and jump out at you. On the other hand, some lower quality
pix are more annoying due to flaws being mercilessly displayed.

Would have preferred the 20incher, but this one is too good for half
the money.