NT AUTHORITYANONYMOUS LOGON

Hi all,

My security log has been filling up with what looks like people trying to
login to my computer on the internet. I have several failed logon attempts
from Administrator of other computer names, but I also show some Successes
from the same computer names as Anonymous Logon. Is this something I should
be worried about? Is there a way I can avoid this?

Thanks
--
Sigh

Start by detailing what your setup is.
Single machine, many, domain, workgroup, routers,firewalls?
Adminstrators in your organisation or external?

Regards
Mark Dormer

"Sighclops" <Sighclops@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> My security log has been filling up with what looks like people trying to
> login to my computer on the internet. I have several failed logon attempts
> from Administrator of other computer names, but I also show some Successes
> from the same computer names as Anonymous Logon. Is this something I
> should
> be worried about? Is there a way I can avoid this?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Sigh

This particular workstation is a laptop with XP SP2. It does belong to the
domain, however the entries are when this laptop is off the network on a
cable modem. The user only has Power User rights and the Firewall is turned
off, so he is unable to turn this back on when he is home. It also needs to
be disabled as the Cisco VPN will not connect if the XP Firewall is on.

Sigh

Try to turn on the Windows Firewall on his laptop and then setup GPO on
your domain to disable Win Firewall. That way, when he try to log on to
the domain, the firewall will be disabled, but when he goes home the
firewall will be turned on.

Hi Branac,

Thanks for the reply. I did think of something along this line, however the
problem I would run into is that the user needs to disable the firewall
before connecting to the VPN while at home. He will only have "Power User"
rights and cannot turn the firewall off. Is there any work around for this
without giving the user local admin rights?

Hi,
You could go to Exceptions tab of Windows Firewall settings and Add the
VPN client installed on the laptop. That way WF will let that traffic
go through and block everything else.

"I have tried this as well but even after adding the exception for our vpn
adn the port it uses, it still does not allow the VPN to connect unlike other
firewalls. I am assuming this is a problem with the XP firewall and allowing
IPSEC, etc. through??