How do I tell if a 9800Pro has R360 core?

Just bought a 9800Pro 128 MB via ATi's stupid trade-up program. The card is
a late-model, judging by the fact that the manual includes installation
instructions for the X800. The heat sink uses black (as opposed to gold)
push-pins and the memory is Hynix F-28.

Is there a way to know if the card's got the R360 core? RivaTuner's report
says "R350", but I don't know how accurate it is.

"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> Just bought a 9800Pro 128 MB via ATi's stupid trade-up program. The card
is
> a late-model, judging by the fact that the manual includes installation
> instructions for the X800. The heat sink uses black (as opposed to gold)
> push-pins and the memory is Hynix F-28.
>
> Is there a way to know if the card's got the R360 core? RivaTuner's report
> says "R350", but I don't know how accurate it is.

You can download Everest Home edition for free and it will tell you.

Mike

I wonder how accurate the info is, though. Do you have a 9800Pro with a R360
core?

> I wonder how accurate the info is, though. Do you have a 9800Pro with a
R360
> core?

> "Michael B" <mbryspam@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> > You can download Everest Home edition for free and it will tell you.
> >
> > Mike

No, I own a 9600 pro with the RV350 core, but I am under the impression that
this program is accurate in showing the right core.

Mike

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 01:50:51 +0200, "Michael B" <mbryspam@xs4all.nl>
wrote:

>"First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
>> I wonder how accurate the info is, though. Do you have a 9800Pro with a
>R360
>> core?
>>
>> --
>> "War is the continuation of politics by other means.
>> It can therefore be said that politics is war without
>> bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."
>>

>> "Michael B" <mbryspam@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
>> > You can download Everest Home edition for free and it will tell you.
>> >
>> > Mike
>>

>No, I own a 9600 pro with the RV350 core, but I am under the impression that
>this program is accurate in showing the right core.
>
>Mike

Are 9800pro suppos to be r360 ???

aida32 report that my 9800pro is 350...

ATi switched to the R360 core some time during the 9800Pro's production run,
to reduce costs by sharing a common core with the 9800XT. Of course, there
are no functional differences save for dubious Overdrive support, though the
R360 is *supposed* to overclock better.

"DreamMaker" <onesuponatime@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> Are 9800pro suppos to be r360 ???
>
> aida32 report that my 9800pro is 350...

I have flashed 2 "360" core'd 9800 Pros to a 9800 XT (original ATI made),
and neither would allow "Overdrive" in the Cat's 4.4

> ATi switched to the R360 core some time during the 9800Pro's production
run,
> to reduce costs by sharing a common core with the 9800XT. Of course, there
> are no functional differences save for dubious Overdrive support, though
the
> R360 is *supposed* to overclock better.

> "DreamMaker" <onesuponatime@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> > Are 9800pro suppos to be r360 ???
> >
> > aida32 report that my 9800pro is 350...

I just wonder if the core name is read from the card, or simply correlated
from its internal database. i.e. upon reading that the card is a 9800 Pro,
it may automatically display R350 without verification.

> No, I own a 9600 pro with the RV350 core, but I am under the impression
that
> this program is accurate in showing the right core.
>
> Mike

pip

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

First of One wrote:

> Just bought a 9800Pro 128 MB via ATi's stupid trade-up program. The card is
> a late-model, judging by the fact that the manual includes installation
> instructions for the X800. The heat sink uses black (as opposed to gold)
> push-pins and the memory is Hynix F-28.
>
> Is there a way to know if the card's got the R360 core? RivaTuner's report
> says "R350", but I don't know how accurate it is.

I think it gets it's info from the video BIOS or possibly drivers. I got
a 9800Pro on Monday and Rivatuner picks it up as an R350-cored card. A
friend pointed a thread out to me on the overclockers.co.uk forums about
flashing an R360-cored 9800Pro to a 9800XT (I'll dig out a link if
wanted, but can't be bothered at the moment) along with his screenshot.
I flashed it for a while (put it back to original while I tried to sort
out other problems, it was randomly locking whatever it was set to but
it stopped doing it just as randomly..) and I'm almost certain Rivatuner
picked it up as an R360.

The way to check for certain, of course, would be to take off the
heatsink and see which it says. I'd expect almost all being sold now to
be an R360, though.

I agree. Seems most new boxed original ATI Radeon9800 Pro's I have
installed, including 2 of my own (one hynix and one samsung memory chips),
have been 360 cores. And I never really noticed, but when did they start
using a silver paste under the stock heatsink? 2 of my more recent ones,
were stock, silver paste, not white silicon.

"Pip" <???@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> First of One wrote:
>
> > Just bought a 9800Pro 128 MB via ATi's stupid trade-up program. The card
is
> > a late-model, judging by the fact that the manual includes installation
> > instructions for the X800. The heat sink uses black (as opposed to gold)
> > push-pins and the memory is Hynix F-28.
> >
> > Is there a way to know if the card's got the R360 core? RivaTuner's
report
> > says "R350", but I don't know how accurate it is.
>
> I think it gets it's info from the video BIOS or possibly drivers. I got
> a 9800Pro on Monday and Rivatuner picks it up as an R350-cored card. A
> friend pointed a thread out to me on the overclockers.co.uk forums about
> flashing an R360-cored 9800Pro to a 9800XT (I'll dig out a link if
> wanted, but can't be bothered at the moment) along with his screenshot.
> I flashed it for a while (put it back to original while I tried to sort
> out other problems, it was randomly locking whatever it was set to but
> it stopped doing it just as randomly..) and I'm almost certain Rivatuner
> picked it up as an R360.
>
> The way to check for certain, of course, would be to take off the
> heatsink and see which it says. I'd expect almost all being sold now to
> be an R360, though.

That's probably a silvery-colored paste with no significant silver content.
<g>

Silver is too streaky and can cause shorts if it gets on a resistor or
something.

"Sept1967" <sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net> wrote in message
> I agree. Seems most new boxed original ATI Radeon9800 Pro's I have
> installed, including 2 of my own (one hynix and one samsung memory chips),
> have been 360 cores. And I never really noticed, but when did they start
> using a silver paste under the stock heatsink? 2 of my more recent ones,
> were stock, silver paste, not white silicon.

sid

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 02:38:16 GMT, "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>I just wonder if the core name is read from the card, or simply correlated
>from its internal database. i.e. upon reading that the card is a 9800 Pro,
>it may automatically display R350 without verification.

Yeah, I've recently tried pcwizard2004 and sandra2004.

Wizard id'd my amd64-2800 as newcastle.

sandra called it a clawhammer ;)

I think it's supposed to be a newcastle, but I really don't know.

hmm.. thanks to digital photography..

ADA2800AEP4AP
CAAJC 0404XPMW
9814857B40050 Malaysia

I'll look it up one of these days, but maybe someone knows these
things.

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Michael B" <mbryspam@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

> "First of One" <daxinfx@yahoo.com> schreef in
bericht

> > I wonder how accurate the info is, though. Do
you have a 9800Pro with a
> > R360 core?
> >

> > "Michael B" <mbryspam@xs4all.nl> wrote in
message
> > > You can download Everest Home edition for
free and it will tell you.

> > > Mike
> >

> No, I own a 9600 pro with the RV350 core, but I
am under the impression
> that this program is accurate in showing the
right core.

> Mike

I do have a 9800Pro with an R360 core and I'm
very much of the opinion that Everest gets it
wrong since my version tells me I have an R350
core. I believe Everest just relays whatever the
card BIOS tells it. The 9800 Pro BIOS is
programmed to say "R350" in an effort to prevent
people from replacing it with a 9800XT BIOS. (You
can do it anyway, but you have to try
(infinitesimally) harder).

Neil

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Neil" <neil@chapellane69.free-online.co.uk> wrote
in message

> I do have a 9800Pro with an R360 core and I'm
> very much of the opinion that Everest gets it
> wrong since my version tells me I have an R350
> core. I believe Everest just relays whatever
the
> card BIOS tells it. The 9800 Pro BIOS is
> programmed to say "R350" in an effort to prevent
> people from replacing it with a 9800XT BIOS.
(You
> can do it anyway, but you have to try
> (infinitesimally) harder).
>
> Neil

But I just noticed something else. If you ask
Everest for a quick report (on any aspect) the
second part of the report is just tables of memory
contents. The last table is vaguely interesting
as it is the video BIOS. In the first part of
that table in my report, there are some vaguely
readable parts, and in those R360 is mentioned
twice. My guess would be that if I didn't have
the R360 core - that would say R350.

Neil

Everest also tells me my Socket-A AthlonXP has 453 pins. I thought it had
462?

"Neil" <neil@chapellane69.free-online.co.uk> wrote in message
> I do have a 9800Pro with an R360 core and I'm
> very much of the opinion that Everest gets it
> wrong since my version tells me I have an R350
> core. I believe Everest just relays whatever the
> card BIOS tells it. The 9800 Pro BIOS is
> programmed to say "R350" in an effort to prevent
> people from replacing it with a 9800XT BIOS. (You
> can do it anyway, but you have to try
> (infinitesimally) harder).
>
> Neil

Mine says "R350 Hynix DDR BIOS", but I guess it must have that to use the
Hynix F-28 memory on the card. "R350AGP" is mentioned on the next line.

Damn, all this trouble just to avoid taking the heat sink off... :)

> But I just noticed something else. If you ask
> Everest for a quick report (on any aspect) the
> second part of the report is just tables of memory
> contents. The last table is vaguely interesting
> as it is the video BIOS. In the first part of
> that table in my report, there are some vaguely
> readable parts, and in those R360 is mentioned
> twice. My guess would be that if I didn't have
> the R360 core - that would say R350.
>
> Neil

"First of One" wrote
> Damn, all this trouble just to avoid taking the heat sink off... :)

Indeed!
so why not end your suffering and pop off the heatsink (it's real easy with
a pair of good Needle-Nose-Pliers). . .clean off the white goo. . . .and
look at your shiny GPU core, and while your at it you may as well put it
back together again using some arctic-silver compound an ARCTIC VGA
Silencer!
--
Wayne ][