Unable to connect to WMI service 'rootcimv2'

1. When accessing Network Properties and inside "Advanced" I cannot see any
information. I can see only a mesage saying: "Windows cannot exibit
properties for this connection. Information of WMI can be
corrupted............"
2. When running in the prompt: "NET START WINMGMT" I got a 1068 error message
3. When running "Network Diagnostics" in "System Informations" there are WMI
ERRORS (Unable to connect to WMI service '\root\cimv2') for many of the
tests.(Proxy, Computer System, Operational System, Version, Modems, Network
Adapter, Network Client)
I've already tryied to reinstall WMI but it doesn't starts the service even
after deleting the repository mentioned in the Microsoft Directions to
REINSTALL WMI
1 answer Last reply
More about unable connect service rootcimv2

    Windows XP reports that Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) might be
    corrupted?
    http://www.jsifaq.com/SUBK/tip5200/rh5281.htm

    [[You may receive any of the following error messages in Windows XP:
    Unable to view network properties. Windows cannot display the properties of
    connection. Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) might be corrupted.
    Unable to view System Information (MSinfo32).

    If you run Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI), wmimgmt.msc, you
    receive: Failed to connect to local computer due to WMI:Generic failure.

    These errors will occur if the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder
    is damaged.

    To fix this problem:
    1. Use the Start menu to right-click My Computer.
    2. Press the Manage item.
    3. Double-click Services and Applications in the left-hand pane.
    4. Press Services to expand it.
    5. Scroll to Windows Management Instrumentation in the right-hand pane and
    right-click it.
    6. Press Stop.
    7. Use Windows Explorer to delete all the files in the
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder.
    8. Shutdown and restart your computer. The Windows Management
    Instrumentation service will start and the files will be re-created.]]
    ===

    I had a problem with WMI, I also had a problem deleting
    %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository. I had to run Error Checking
    (Chkdsk). And then try to delete the file.
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem\Repository\FS.
    ----

    Courtesy of Kelly T. @ http://www.kellys-korner.com/
    [Windows Management Instrumentation - WinMgmt could not initialize the core
    parts
    Go to Start/Run/CMD and then run each of these hitting enter after each:

    winmgmt /clearadap
    winmgmt /kill
    winmgmt /unregserver
    winmgmt /regserver
    winmgmt /resyncperf

    This may or may not repair the repository but will re-install wmi into the
    registry.]
    ===

    From http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_w.htm

    WMI
    [[WMIPRVSE hosts the provider that sends your events on WinXP. On WinXP
    providers are out of process from the actual WMI service. You can specify
    the wbemConnectFlagUseMaxWait which will cause the timeout to be 2 minutes
    instead of the default DCOM one which is up to 20 minutes. What may help is
    to ping the remote machine first before attempting a ConnectServer.

    WMI relies on DCOM for remoting which in turn uses RPC which then uses
    TCP/IP, so there could be several reasons why it isn't connecting initially.
    This is a known issue. Basically, when the provider calls MSI, it doesn't
    necessarily cancel the initial request and attempts to finish it so
    wmiprvse.exe will still show cpu usage.

    To correct permission issues:

    1 - In the Management Console\Services STOP WMI and set to manual.
    2 - Go to the WMI repository %Windows%system32%wbem and delete the
    repository.
    3 -Set the WMI service back to Automatic
    4 - From %Windows%system32%wbem run "wbemtest" and connect to your
    namespace.
    5 - Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to: Locate current

    HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class. Open the class
    key and right click on the sub key 0000 and select permissions and make sure
    that the permissions for you [administrator] are "Full".]]

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2A478533-4991-43E8-AD0F-3E485EEAF349@microsoft.com,
    csrossi <csrossi@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > 1. When accessing Network Properties and inside "Advanced" I cannot
    > see any information. I can see only a mesage saying: "Windows cannot
    > exibit properties for this connection. Information of WMI can be
    > corrupted............"
    > 2. When running in the prompt: "NET START WINMGMT" I got a 1068 error
    > message
    > 3. When running "Network Diagnostics" in "System Informations" there
    > are WMI ERRORS (Unable to connect to WMI service '\root\cimv2') for
    > many of the tests.(Proxy, Computer System, Operational System,
    > Version, Modems, Network Adapter, Network Client)
    > I've already tryied to reinstall WMI but it doesn't starts the
    > service even after deleting the repository mentioned in the Microsoft
    > Directions to REINSTALL WMI

Security Connection Microsoft Windows XP