Makeing adminstraor account not the administrator

harryguy082589

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2005

Hi,

When I got my tablet [used, on ebay] the person had the xp set up so
that the only account was the administrator account and unfortunately I
left it that way. Now, 6 months later, I realized that that is a big
mistake and am looking for a way to keep all of my preferences,
settings and...(right down to the layout of the toolbars on my taskbar
if I can), but make my account so that it isn't an administrator. Any
suggestions? I tried using computer management, but I cant make any
changes to the administrator account because it is a built in one.
thanks in advavane,

dan

harryguy082589 wrote:
> When I got my tablet [used, on ebay] the person had the xp set up so
> that the only account was the administrator account and unfortunately
> I left it that way. Now, 6 months later, I realized that that is a big
> mistake and am looking for a way to keep all of my preferences,
> settings and...(right down to the layout of the toolbars on my taskbar
> if I can), but make my account so that it isn't an administrator. Any
> suggestions? I tried using computer management, but I cant make any
> changes to the administrator account because it is a built in one.
> thanks in advavane,

Use FAST (Files and Settings Transfer wizard) to export the profile.
Create a new user.
Log in as the new user.
Use FAST to import the profile.

(Look up FAST (Files and Settings Transfer wizard) in the built in HELP on
your computer.)

--
<- Shenan ->

harryguy082589@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I got my tablet [used, on ebay] the person had the xp set up so
> that the only account was the administrator account and unfortunately I
> left it that way. Now, 6 months later, I realized that that is a big
> mistake and am looking for a way to keep all of my preferences,
> settings and...(right down to the layout of the toolbars on my taskbar
> if I can), but make my account so that it isn't an administrator. Any
> suggestions? I tried using computer management, but I cant make any
> changes to the administrator account because it is a built in one.
> thanks in advavane,
>
> dan

As you've learned, the built-in Administrator account isn't
intended to be used for day-to-day normal use. The standard security
practice is to set a strong password on it and use it only to create
another account for regular use, reserving the Administrator account as
a "back door" in case something corrupts your regular account(s). The
wiser course of action is to create another user account for your daily
use, and copy desired the files and settings from the Administrator
account to this newly created user profile.

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

How is using FAST different to copying a profile (as on the MS site)? Does
the latter simply copy the settings without the files that have been
created?

Tosca wrote:
> How is using FAST different to copying a profile (as on the MS site)?
> Does the latter simply copy the settings without the files that have
> been created?

Copying a profile copies just what is in that particular profile..
C:\Documents and Settings\username...

Using FAST, you have more options to search the drive for other files (doc,
xls, etc.) - outside that one directory.

--
<- Shenan ->

harryguy082589

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2005

Hi,

Thanks for the help, just one question: how do all of these methods
deal with registry keys spesific to a user (i take it that
HKEY_CURRENT_USER....)

sorry if this is a stupid question,

Dan