Correct sequence for installing Catalyst Drivers for Radeo..

I have gone carefully through the installation instructions and the
FAQ on ATI's web-site but I find it incomplete since I have had to
download the TV capture( 6-14-10-6240), the Catalyst 4.6
(wxp-8-02-40515a-015958 and the Control Panel (same no as of Catalyst
4.6 above) Drivers separately because of a slow speed internet
connection.

The ATI instructions specify the sequence for installation as follows;

1) Uninstall MMC
2) Close all running applications except the Windows Explorer and the
System Tray
3) Install the Capture Driver
4) Do not restart
5) Install the Display Driver
6) Restart when prompted
7) Finally install the MMC

Have I got the sequence correctly? No need to mention that the various
drivers must belong to a single set recommended by ATI.

I suppose this would take care of the Control Panel Driver
installation, if one installs the total bundle of all the drivers,
using a high speed internet connection.

Following are my doubts applicable to the slow speed downloaders.

Q 1) What is one to do when the Control Panel Driver is installed
separately? Is it to be installed , after the Display Driver without
restarting or after restarting Windows?

Q 2) Before installing the Capture Driver or the Display Driver, has
one to remove the corresponding old drivers through Control Panel
Device drivers dialog? If so, will XP start the Windows with a VGA
Driver or in Safe Mode? Or is one to install the New Display and
Control Panel Drivers over the existing Drivers?

P. Jayant
11 answers Last reply
More about correct sequence installing catalyst drivers radeo

    Boot up in safe mode to remove the old drivers/software. ATI has an
    uninstaller program here:

    http://www2.ati.com/drivers/cat-uninstaller.exe

    Reboot in safe mode, open add/remove programs to see what ATI related
    software is still installed and if any, uninstall it.

    Before you reboot and if you're proficient enough to make registry changes,
    you might check the HKCU & HKLM keys for any instances of ATI and delete
    them as well. Now reboot in normal mode. The machine will find your hardware
    on reboot so just cancel the operation and follow the below instructions:

    I've found the following sequence to work the best when installing for an
    AIW:

    Capture drivers
    Display drivers
    *reboot*

    (you may be prompted to reboot again after the prior reboot <machine found
    new devices>...so go ahead and do it)

    Control Panel
    *reboot*

    DAO software
    MMC
    Gemstar EPG (optional)
    Remote wonder
    *reboot*

    You should note that the latest drivers are not always the best for video
    capture. The only way to be sure however, is to install and test them. In
    case of problems or performance issues with the install, repeat the
    procedure for each successive new driver installation. Yes, it can be time
    consuming. :-( hth...

    --
    Robert J. Salvi, Ambiance Acoustics
    http://www.ambianceacoustics.com

    "jayant" <pjayant@vsnl.com> wrote in message
> [...]

    > Have I got the sequence correctly? No need to mention that the various
    > drivers must belong to a single set recommended by ATI.
    >
    > I suppose this would take care of the Control Panel Driver
    > installation, if one installs the total bundle of all the drivers,
    > using a high speed internet connection.
    >
    > Following are my doubts applicable to the slow speed downloaders.
    >
    > Q 1) What is one to do when the Control Panel Driver is installed
    > separately? Is it to be installed , after the Display Driver without
    > restarting or after restarting Windows?
    >
    > Q 2) Before installing the Capture Driver or the Display Driver, has
    > one to remove the corresponding old drivers through Control Panel
    > Device drivers dialog? If so, will XP start the Windows with a VGA
    > Driver or in Safe Mode? Or is one to install the New Display and
    > Control Panel Drivers over the existing Drivers?

    Why not use something like getright and download the easy to use all in one
    driver package. Would more than likely take the same amount of time as
    downloading individually

    Downloading with GetRight often means inviting pop-up ads afterwards.
    SWo it is better to take the safer path of slow downloads.

    P. Jayant

    "Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in message news:<2j3c18Ft5ufkU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    > "jayant" <pjayant@vsnl.com> wrote in message
    > > I have gone carefully through the installation instructions and the
    > > FAQ on ATI's web-site but I find it incomplete since I have had to
    > > download the TV capture( 6-14-10-6240), the Catalyst 4.6
    > > (wxp-8-02-40515a-015958 and the Control Panel (same no as of Catalyst
    > > 4.6 above) Drivers separately because of a slow speed internet
    > > connection.
    > >
    > > The ATI instructions specify the sequence for installation as follows;
    > >
    > > 1) Uninstall MMC
    > > 2) Close all running applications except the Windows Explorer and the
    > > System Tray
    > > 3) Install the Capture Driver
    > > 4) Do not restart
    > > 5) Install the Display Driver
    > > 6) Restart when prompted
    > > 7) Finally install the MMC
    > >
    > > Have I got the sequence correctly? No need to mention that the various
    > > drivers must belong to a single set recommended by ATI.
    > >
    > > I suppose this would take care of the Control Panel Driver
    > > installation, if one installs the total bundle of all the drivers,
    > > using a high speed internet connection.
    > >
    > > Following are my doubts applicable to the slow speed downloaders.
    > >
    > > Q 1) What is one to do when the Control Panel Driver is installed
    > > separately? Is it to be installed , after the Display Driver without
    > > restarting or after restarting Windows?
    > >
    > > Q 2) Before installing the Capture Driver or the Display Driver, has
    > > one to remove the corresponding old drivers through Control Panel
    > > Device drivers dialog? If so, will XP start the Windows with a VGA
    > > Driver or in Safe Mode? Or is one to install the New Display and
    > > Control Panel Drivers over the existing Drivers?
    > >
    > > P. Jayant
    >
    > Why not use something like getright and download the easy to use all in one
    > driver package. Would more than likely take the same amount of time as
    > downloading individually

    I would be only too glad if you could advise me the version no of the
    drivers and the MMC which you have found stable for Radeon 8500DV and
    the site from where exactly I could download the more stable version,
    even if older.

    I shall make sure that I follow the steps recommended by you for
    installing, any time while installing the latest or an earlier stable
    version downloaded with information I may get from your reply to this
    posting.

    P. Jayant

    jayant wrote:

    > I have gone carefully through the installation instructions and the
    > FAQ on ATI's web-site but I find it incomplete since I have had to
    > download the TV capture( 6-14-10-6240), the Catalyst 4.6
    > (wxp-8-02-40515a-015958 and the Control Panel (same no as of Catalyst
    > 4.6 above) Drivers separately because of a slow speed internet
    > connection.
    >
    > The ATI instructions specify the sequence for installation as follows;
    >
    > 1) Uninstall MMC
    > 2) Close all running applications except the Windows Explorer and the
    > System Tray
    > 3) Install the Capture Driver
    > 4) Do not restart
    > 5) Install the Display Driver
    > 6) Restart when prompted
    > 7) Finally install the MMC
    >
    > Have I got the sequence correctly? No need to mention that the various
    > drivers must belong to a single set recommended by ATI.
    >
    > I suppose this would take care of the Control Panel Driver
    > installation, if one installs the total bundle of all the drivers,
    > using a high speed internet connection.
    >
    > Following are my doubts applicable to the slow speed downloaders.
    >
    > Q 1) What is one to do when the Control Panel Driver is installed
    > separately? Is it to be installed , after the Display Driver without
    > restarting or after restarting Windows?
    >
    > Q 2) Before installing the Capture Driver or the Display Driver, has
    > one to remove the corresponding old drivers through Control Panel
    > Device drivers dialog? If so, will XP start the Windows with a VGA
    > Driver or in Safe Mode? Or is one to install the New Display and
    > Control Panel Drivers over the existing Drivers?
    >
    > P. Jayant

    Ive had my 8500dv since day one., newer is not better, so unless you want
    to spend a day fixing something that most likely will break with updated
    drivers, stay where you are, or go as far as I did. Im sick of installing
    new just to find it breaks something and the pita of going back.

    cat 3.10 mmc 8.6 good all around for gaming and capture

    Gordon Scott <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message news:<40CCBDCB.7AEECED7@NOSPAMshaw.ca>...
> [...]

    I would be only too glad if you could advise me the version no of the
    drivers and the MMC which you have found stable for Radeon 8500DV and
    the site from where exactly I could download the more stable version,
    even if older.

    I shall make sure that I follow the steps recommended by you for
    installing, any time while installing the latest or an earlier stable
    version downloaded with information I may get from your reply to this
    posting.

    P. Jayant

    > Ive had my 8500dv since day one., newer is not better, so unless you want
    > to spend a day fixing something that most likely will break with updated
    > drivers, stay where you are, or go as far as I did. Im sick of installing
    > new just to find it breaks something and the pita of going back.
    >
    > cat 3.10 mmc 8.6 good all around for gaming and capture

    I don't know what driver version(s) will yield the best performance from
    your system. The only machine I have with an AIW has an AIW 9700 Pro & Win
    2K. I'm using Cat version 3.6. ATI archives its drivers so they're available
    for download on their site. fwiw...

    --

> [...]

    > > > Have I got the sequence correctly? No need to mention that the various
    > > > drivers must belong to a single set recommended by ATI.
    > > >
    > > > I suppose this would take care of the Control Panel Driver
    > > > installation, if one installs the total bundle of all the drivers,
    > > > using a high speed internet connection.
    > > >
    > > > Following are my doubts applicable to the slow speed downloaders.
    > > >
    > > > Q 1) What is one to do when the Control Panel Driver is installed
    > > > separately? Is it to be installed , after the Display Driver without
    > > > restarting or after restarting Windows?
    > > >
    > > > Q 2) Before installing the Capture Driver or the Display Driver, has
    > > > one to remove the corresponding old drivers through Control Panel
    > > > Device drivers dialog? If so, will XP start the Windows with a VGA
    > > > Driver or in Safe Mode? Or is one to install the New Display and
    > > > Control Panel Drivers over the existing Drivers?

    On my AIW 8500DV new driver works fine.
    If you have problems, try first uninstall driver and
    MMC completly. You can use procedure
    decribing in
    http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33656771
    or Catalyst Uninstaller from
    http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/catalystutils.html

    Control Panel (reboot), and next MMC

    Rgds
    SZ

    On 13 Jun 2004 17:15:14 -0700, pjayant@vsnl.com (jayant) wrote:

    >Downloading with GetRight often means inviting pop-up ads afterwards.
    >SWo it is better to take the safer path of slow downloads.
    >
    >P. Jayant

    Haven't used GetRight since I got broadband, but I thought they'd
    dumped all that adware stuff? I had a purchased copy (_definitely_
    malware-free) and it was far and away the best download manager I ever
    used.

    >"Les" <a@aolnot.com> wrote in message news:<2j3c18Ft5ufkU1@uni-berlin.de>...
    >> "jayant" <pjayant@vsnl.com> wrote in message
    >> > I have gone carefully through the installation instructions and the
    >> > FAQ on ATI's web-site but I find it incomplete since I have had to
    >> > download the TV capture( 6-14-10-6240), the Catalyst 4.6
    >> > (wxp-8-02-40515a-015958 and the Control Panel (same no as of Catalyst
    >> > 4.6 above) Drivers separately because of a slow speed internet
    >> > connection.
    >> >
    >> > The ATI instructions specify the sequence for installation as follows;
    >> >
    >> > 1) Uninstall MMC
    >> > 2) Close all running applications except the Windows Explorer and the
    >> > System Tray
    >> > 3) Install the Capture Driver
    >> > 4) Do not restart
    >> > 5) Install the Display Driver
    >> > 6) Restart when prompted
    >> > 7) Finally install the MMC
    >> >
    >> > Have I got the sequence correctly? No need to mention that the various
    >> > drivers must belong to a single set recommended by ATI.
    >> >
    >> > I suppose this would take care of the Control Panel Driver
    >> > installation, if one installs the total bundle of all the drivers,
    >> > using a high speed internet connection.
    >> >
    >> > Following are my doubts applicable to the slow speed downloaders.
    >> >
    >> > Q 1) What is one to do when the Control Panel Driver is installed
    >> > separately? Is it to be installed , after the Display Driver without
    >> > restarting or after restarting Windows?
    >> >
    >> > Q 2) Before installing the Capture Driver or the Display Driver, has
    >> > one to remove the corresponding old drivers through Control Panel
    >> > Device drivers dialog? If so, will XP start the Windows with a VGA
    >> > Driver or in Safe Mode? Or is one to install the New Display and
    >> > Control Panel Drivers over the existing Drivers?
    >> >
    >> > P. Jayant
    >>
    >> Why not use something like getright and download the easy to use all in one
    >> driver package. Would more than likely take the same amount of time as
    >> downloading individually

    patrickp

    jayant wrote:

    > I would be only too glad if you could advise me the version no of the
    > drivers and the MMC which you have found stable for Radeon 8500DV and
    > the site from where exactly I could download the more stable version,
    > even if older.
    >
    > I shall make sure that I follow the steps recommended by you for
    > installing, any time while installing the latest or an earlier stable
    > version downloaded with information I may get from your reply to this
    > posting.
    >
    > P. Jayant
    >
    > Gordon Scott <gordsmail@NOSPAMshaw.ca> wrote in message news:<40CCBDCB.7AEECED7@NOSPAMshaw.ca>...
    > > jayant wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I have gone carefully through the installation instructions and the
    > > > FAQ on ATI's web-site but I find it incomplete since I have had to
    > > > download the TV capture( 6-14-10-6240), the Catalyst 4.6
    > > > (wxp-8-02-40515a-015958 and the Control Panel (same no as of Catalyst
    > > > 4.6 above) Drivers separately because of a slow speed internet
    > > > connection.
    > > >
    > > > The ATI instructions specify the sequence for installation as follows;
    > > >
    > > > 1) Uninstall MMC
    > > > 2) Close all running applications except the Windows Explorer and the
    > > > System Tray
    > > > 3) Install the Capture Driver
    > > > 4) Do not restart
    > > > 5) Install the Display Driver
    > > > 6) Restart when prompted
    > > > 7) Finally install the MMC
    > > >
    > > > Have I got the sequence correctly? No need to mention that the various
    > > > drivers must belong to a single set recommended by ATI.
    > > >
    > > > I suppose this would take care of the Control Panel Driver
    > > > installation, if one installs the total bundle of all the drivers,
    > > > using a high speed internet connection.
    > > >
    > > > Following are my doubts applicable to the slow speed downloaders.
    > > >
    > > > Q 1) What is one to do when the Control Panel Driver is installed
    > > > separately? Is it to be installed , after the Display Driver without
    > > > restarting or after restarting Windows?
    > > >
    > > > Q 2) Before installing the Capture Driver or the Display Driver, has
    > > > one to remove the corresponding old drivers through Control Panel
    > > > Device drivers dialog? If so, will XP start the Windows with a VGA
    > > > Driver or in Safe Mode? Or is one to install the New Display and
    > > > Control Panel Drivers over the existing Drivers?
    > > >
    > > > P. Jayant
    > >
    > > Ive had my 8500dv since day one., newer is not better, so unless you want
    > > to spend a day fixing something that most likely will break with updated
    > > drivers, stay where you are, or go as far as I did. Im sick of installing
    > > new just to find it breaks something and the pita of going back.
    > >
    > > cat 3.10 mmc 8.6 good all around for gaming and capture

    look up 1 line

    download from here..
    http://www.ati.com/support/products/radeonwinxppreviousdrivers.html

Radeon Control Panel Drivers ATI Graphics