Port 1433 is blocked (filtered) on some of PC's

I have several PC's with a new installation of XP Professional SP2. Some of
them can't access Remote SQL 2000 instances in SQL Enterprise manager.
However, there are no problems for them to register SQL instances on the
Intranet. I've checked using PORTQRY and have verified that their TCP/IP port
1433 is being filtered. What's strange is that it happens only to some of
PC's. It's not related to the Windows Firewall, because happens even when the
Firewall is disabled. Any ideas/help will be appreciated.

I may be confused here...but why does the client PC need to have 1433 open?
Doesn't it connect to the server on that port?

-Matt