Security settings on folders

I am wondering if I am Windows XP Pro OEM hell or somethig. It is not
like the XP Pro on my laptop from work. I need to change the
permissions on a directory. I right click and select "Sharing and
Security". I set it to share, but I cannot get to the dialog that lets
me select which users and groups are allowed to have access the folder.
For files, I can't even get this far. What am I missing?

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Do you have your home PC on a network? If not then there is no reason to
"Share" folders or files. If you are just trying to set security on files
and folders so that another user can or can't access them, you should be
setting this under the "Security" tab of the Sharing and Security windows.
Alternatively, simply right click on the folder or file and choose
"properties" and then Security.

Just a note: you will not see the choice for "Sharing and Security" when you
have a filename highlighted, Sharing only applies to directories.

I hope this helps.

"no one" <noone@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am wondering if I am Windows XP Pro OEM hell or somethig. It is not
> like the XP Pro on my laptop from work. I need to change the
> permissions on a directory. I right click and select "Sharing and
> Security". I set it to share, but I cannot get to the dialog that lets
> me select which users and groups are allowed to have access the folder.
> For files, I can't even get this far. What am I missing?

Yes it is, not I don't want to share the folder. You gave the same directions
as I listed in my message.

In the past, there was a permissions button under properties for files and
folders. Here one could set users and groups that are allowed to view, change,
delete, etc. Usually everyone had full control. I don't want that. I need to
have certain users not able to see it, some to read and others the have full
control. Just like any other modern OS.

Frank wrote:

> Do you have your home PC on a network? If not then there is no reason to
> "Share" folders or files. If you are just trying to set security on files
> and folders so that another user can or can't access them, you should be
> setting this under the "Security" tab of the Sharing and Security windows.
> Alternatively, simply right click on the folder or file and choose
> "properties" and then Security.
>
> Just a note: you will not see the choice for "Sharing and Security" when you
> have a filename highlighted, Sharing only applies to directories.
>
> I hope this helps.
>
> "no one" <noone@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >I am wondering if I am Windows XP Pro OEM hell or somethig. It is not
> > like the XP Pro on my laptop from work. I need to change the
> > permissions on a directory. I right click and select "Sharing and
> > Security". I set it to share, but I cannot get to the dialog that lets
> > me select which users and groups are allowed to have access the folder.
> > For files, I can't even get this far. What am I missing?

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Is the disk partition set as NTFS? You can find this out by right clicking
on My Computer, selecting Manage, selecting Disk Management and locating the
would NTFS under the File System Column.

> Yes it is, not I don't want to share the folder. You gave the same
> directions
> as I listed in my message.
>
> In the past, there was a permissions button under properties for files and
> folders. Here one could set users and groups that are allowed to view,
> change,
> delete, etc. Usually everyone had full control. I don't want that. I
> need to
> have certain users not able to see it, some to read and others the have
> full
> control. Just like any other modern OS.
>
> Frank wrote:
>
>> Do you have your home PC on a network? If not then there is no reason
>> "Share" folders or files. If you are just trying to set security on
>> files
>> and folders so that another user can or can't access them, you should be
>> setting this under the "Security" tab of the Sharing and Security
>> windows.
>> Alternatively, simply right click on the folder or file and choose
>> "properties" and then Security.
>>
>> Just a note: you will not see the choice for "Sharing and Security" when
>> you
>> have a filename highlighted, Sharing only applies to directories.
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>>
>> "no one" <noone@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> >I am wondering if I am Windows XP Pro OEM hell or somethig. It is not
>> > like the XP Pro on my laptop from work. I need to change the
>> > permissions on a directory. I right click and select "Sharing and
>> > Security". I set it to share, but I cannot get to the dialog that lets
>> > me select which users and groups are allowed to have access the folder.
>> > For files, I can't even get this far. What am I missing?

Rich

Turn OFF "simple file sharing

open up my computer, got to Tools>>Folder Options, click View, scroll to
bottom of list and uncheck "use simple file sharing" this will give you back
your Security tab. By default, simple file sharing is enabled.

"no one" wrote:

> Yes it is, not I don't want to share the folder. You gave the same directions
> as I listed in my message.
>
> In the past, there was a permissions button under properties for files and
> folders. Here one could set users and groups that are allowed to view, change,
> delete, etc. Usually everyone had full control. I don't want that. I need to
> have certain users not able to see it, some to read and others the have full
> control. Just like any other modern OS.
>
> Frank wrote:
>
> > Do you have your home PC on a network? If not then there is no reason to
> > "Share" folders or files. If you are just trying to set security on files
> > and folders so that another user can or can't access them, you should be
> > setting this under the "Security" tab of the Sharing and Security windows.
> > Alternatively, simply right click on the folder or file and choose
> > "properties" and then Security.
> >
> > Just a note: you will not see the choice for "Sharing and Security" when you
> > have a filename highlighted, Sharing only applies to directories.
> >
> > I hope this helps.
> >
> > "no one" <noone@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > >I am wondering if I am Windows XP Pro OEM hell or somethig. It is not
> > > like the XP Pro on my laptop from work. I need to change the
> > > permissions on a directory. I right click and select "Sharing and
> > > Security". I set it to share, but I cannot get to the dialog that lets
> > > me select which users and groups are allowed to have access the folder.
> > > For files, I can't even get this far. What am I missing?

Yes. NTFS and healthy.

Ok, before we go any further, just let me say that my semester project for a
graduate level class on computer security compared and contrasted Windows NT
3.51 and Solaris. That was back in 1997.

Frank wrote:

> Is the disk partition set as NTFS? You can find this out by right clicking
> on My Computer, selecting Manage, selecting Disk Management and locating the
> would NTFS under the File System Column.
>
> "no one" <noone@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Yes it is, not I don't want to share the folder. You gave the same
> > directions
> > as I listed in my message.
> >
> > In the past, there was a permissions button under properties for files and
> > folders. Here one could set users and groups that are allowed to view,
> > change,
> > delete, etc. Usually everyone had full control. I don't want that. I
> > need to
> > have certain users not able to see it, some to read and others the have
> > full
> > control. Just like any other modern OS.
> >
> > Frank wrote:
> >
> >> Do you have your home PC on a network? If not then there is no reason
> >> "Share" folders or files. If you are just trying to set security on
> >> files
> >> and folders so that another user can or can't access them, you should be
> >> setting this under the "Security" tab of the Sharing and Security
> >> windows.
> >> Alternatively, simply right click on the folder or file and choose
> >> "properties" and then Security.
> >>
> >> Just a note: you will not see the choice for "Sharing and Security" when
> >> you
> >> have a filename highlighted, Sharing only applies to directories.
> >>
> >> I hope this helps.
> >>
> >> "no one" <noone@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Thanks. That is what I needed.

In article <864180A3-D8D0-45AF-A99E-538BD922AE80@microsoft.com>,
rich@discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Turn OFF "simple file sharing
>
> open up my computer, got to Tools>>Folder Options, click View, scroll to
> bottom of list and uncheck "use simple file sharing" this will give you back
> your Security tab. By default, simple file sharing is enabled.
>
> "no one" wrote:

Thank you also....

> > Yes it is, not I don't want to share the folder. You gave the same directions
> > as I listed in my message.
> >
> > In the past, there was a permissions button under properties for files and
> > folders. Here one could set users and groups that are allowed to view, change,
> > delete, etc. Usually everyone had full control. I don't want that. I need to
> > have certain users not able to see it, some to read and others the have full
> > control. Just like any other modern OS.
> >
> > Frank wrote:
> >
> > > Do you have your home PC on a network? If not then there is no reason to
> > > "Share" folders or files. If you are just trying to set security on files
> > > and folders so that another user can or can't access them, you should be
> > > setting this under the "Security" tab of the Sharing and Security windows.
> > > Alternatively, simply right click on the folder or file and choose
> > > "properties" and then Security.
> > >
> > > Just a note: you will not see the choice for "Sharing and Security" when you
> > > have a filename highlighted, Sharing only applies to directories.
> > >
> > > I hope this helps.
> > >
> > > "no one" <noone@yahoo.com> wrote in message

TRENDING THREADS