Downloaded and installed 4.6 in my P4 XP system.
The toolbar disappeared, and there was no sign of the TV
application.

I was able to watch TV and capture with Nero Capture,
but file quality settings were terribly limited.
Sometimes the screen would go blank and XP reset during capture.

So I cleaned up (as much as I could, easily) and reinstalled
the older software including TV 7.5.

The problems with newer versions of ATI software make me
loathe to upgrade to current ATI hardware.
--
Chuck Forsberg caf@omen.com www.omen.com 503-614-0430
Omen Technology Inc "The High Reliability Software"

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:31:45 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX
<caf@omen.com> wrote:

>Downloaded and installed 4.6 in my P4 XP system.
>The toolbar disappeared, and there was no sign of the TV
>application.
>
>I was able to watch TV and capture with Nero Capture,
>but file quality settings were terribly limited.
>Sometimes the screen would go blank and XP reset during capture.
>
>So I cleaned up (as much as I could, easily) and reinstalled
>the older software including TV 7.5.
>
>The problems with newer versions of ATI software make me
>loathe to upgrade to current ATI hardware.

If you're using MMC 7.x, Chuck, I have a feeling it doesn't work with
the more recent Catalyst drivers. It does work with Catalyst 3.8; I
have that combination running on my W98SE box.

I don't think it's a problem; I think it's intentional - or at least
Ati didn't see any reason for maintaining backwards compatibilty with
an older version of MMC. As I say, they've certainly maintained
compatibility with it up to the late Catalyst 3.xs. The last AIW/VIVO
version of MMC 7 was 7.7.0.1, and that's about two years old now. 7.5
must be quite a bit older; 7.6 and then 7.7 were around for a while
AIR.

patrickp

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:15:34 +0100, patrickp <me@privacy.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:31:45 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX
><caf@omen.com> wrote:
>
>>Downloaded and installed 4.6 in my P4 XP system.
>>The toolbar disappeared, and there was no sign of the TV
>>application.
>>
>>I was able to watch TV and capture with Nero Capture,
>>but file quality settings were terribly limited.
>>Sometimes the screen would go blank and XP reset during capture.
>>
>>So I cleaned up (as much as I could, easily) and reinstalled
>>the older software including TV 7.5.
>>
>>The problems with newer versions of ATI software make me
>>loathe to upgrade to current ATI hardware.
>

>If you're using MMC 7.x, Chuck, I have a feeling it doesn't work with
>the more recent Catalyst drivers. It does work with Catalyst 3.8; I
>have that combination running on my W98SE box.
>
>I don't think it's a problem; I think it's intentional - or at least
>Ati didn't see any reason for maintaining backwards compatibilty with
>an older version of MMC. As I say, they've certainly maintained
>compatibility with it up to the late Catalyst 3.xs. The last AIW/VIVO
>version of MMC 7 was 7.7.0.1, and that's about two years old now. 7.5
>must be quite a bit older; 7.6 and then 7.7 were around for a while
>AIR.
>
>patrickp
>
>patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me

Chuck,

I have an old 7500 on my system, and I finally got it to work with cat
4.5 and MMC 9.0.

Here's what I did (upgrading ATI software--as this group knows all too
well--can be a real hassle:

1) uninstall ALL previous versions of MMC. Some don't uninstall
properly.

2) uninstall ALL ATI graphics drivers. Through the control panel's
"add/remove programs" and through ATI's "catunistall" utility.

3) Install "latest" catalyst drivers from ATI's web site (I downloaded
and installed 4.5--it's probably "old" by now.

Reboot

4) Install MMC 9.0 from ATI. The interface is a little different than
7.5, and takes a little getting used to.

AFAIK, MMC 9.0 charges older users ONLY for ATI's DVD licensing. Both
WinDVD and PowerDVD are better programs, anyway. You don't need ATI's
DVD program.

HTH,

Jack Cade

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:41:46 -0700, Joe Stalin <JC@HenryVI.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:15:34 +0100, patrickp <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 21:31:45 -0700, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX
>><caf@omen.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Downloaded and installed 4.6 in my P4 XP system.
>>>The toolbar disappeared, and there was no sign of the TV
>>>application.
>>>
>>>I was able to watch TV and capture with Nero Capture,
>>>but file quality settings were terribly limited.
>>>Sometimes the screen would go blank and XP reset during capture.
>>>
>>>So I cleaned up (as much as I could, easily) and reinstalled
>>>the older software including TV 7.5.
>>>
>>>The problems with newer versions of ATI software make me
>>>loathe to upgrade to current ATI hardware.
>>

>>If you're using MMC 7.x, Chuck, I have a feeling it doesn't work with
>>the more recent Catalyst drivers. It does work with Catalyst 3.8; I
>>have that combination running on my W98SE box.
>>
>>I don't think it's a problem; I think it's intentional - or at least
>>Ati didn't see any reason for maintaining backwards compatibilty with
>>an older version of MMC. As I say, they've certainly maintained
>>compatibility with it up to the late Catalyst 3.xs. The last AIW/VIVO
>>version of MMC 7 was 7.7.0.1, and that's about two years old now. 7.5
>>must be quite a bit older; 7.6 and then 7.7 were around for a while
>>AIR.
>>
>>patrickp
>>
>>patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
>
>Chuck,
>
>I have an old 7500 on my system, and I finally got it to work with cat
>4.5 and MMC 9.0.
>
>Here's what I did (upgrading ATI software--as this group knows all too
>well--can be a real hassle:
>
>1) uninstall ALL previous versions of MMC. Some don't uninstall
>properly.
>>2) uninstall ALL ATI graphics drivers. Through the control panel's
>"add/remove programs" and through ATI's "catunistall" utility.

If you're using the cat-uninstaller, Jack, that should also remove
remaining bits of MMC fairly effectively. I think you're also saying
to uninstall normally and then use the cat-uninstaller and yes, I'd
recommend doing it that way, too.

>3) Install "latest" catalyst drivers from ATI's web site (I downloaded
>and installed 4.5--it's probably "old" by now.

Not very old - 4.6 is current, and has been out less than a week.

>Reboot
>
>4) Install MMC 9.0 from ATI. The interface is a little different than
>7.5, and takes a little getting used to.
>
>AFAIK, MMC 9.0 charges older users ONLY for ATI's DVD licensing. Both
>WinDVD and PowerDVD are better programs, anyway. You don't need ATI's
>DVD program.

Quite true, although I find that the Ati DVD player (which has a
Cyberlink - PowerDVD - core) works even better than PowerDVD. I'm not
prepared to put up with the aspects around regionalisation with it,
though. I'm not sure, but I get the impression the OP doesn't want to
use a more recent MMC. However, unless you specifically want the
features offered by MMC 9.0, I'd still recommend sticking somewhere
around 8.6.

>HTH,
>
>Jack Cade

patrickp

I tried one last time upgrading drivers et al, and ended up
with MMC 9.0 - clean wipe then install a driver set fresh
off the atitech web site.

The combination of P4, XP, 7500 and 9.0 comes up, shows TV,
and captures stuff. Unfortunately, ATI reboots the computer
when it closes the .mpg capture file.

So I'm back to MMC 7.5 and its warts. But at least it can
be made to work.