frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

This may sound dumb, but while I know Windows fairly well, I've never been a
hacker. I understand what a router does, about IP addresses, NAT, and how a
Public IP Address gets converted to a Private IP Address. But I don't
understand why, if the router so willingly does the translation, it makes any
difference to a hacker whether one is between the computer and the Internet
or not. Could someone give me a couple of examples of what a hacker would
like to do that a router and NAT prevent? I do understand what Stateful
Packet Inspection is, and the advantages of that are obvious to me.

Basically, a router/nat device will only allow outbound connections to be
created. It'll then keep track of that outbound connection, and allow back
the replies that the connection created (called a state table)

Inbound connections that have no match in the state table are just thrown
away.

Hope this helps.

-Matt

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This may sound dumb, but while I know Windows fairly well, I've never been
> hacker. I understand what a router does, about IP addresses, NAT, and how
> Public IP Address gets converted to a Private IP Address. But I don't
> understand why, if the router so willingly does the translation, it makes
> any
> difference to a hacker whether one is between the computer and the
> Internet
> or not. Could someone give me a couple of examples of what a hacker would
> like to do that a router and NAT prevent? I do understand what Stateful
> Packet Inspection is, and the advantages of that are obvious to me.

Frank:

Learn how to use New Groups and posting to UseNet and then post this question in;
comp.protocols.tcp-ip

--
Dave

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| This may sound dumb, but while I know Windows fairly well, I've never been a
| hacker. I understand what a router does, about IP addresses, NAT, and how a
| Public IP Address gets converted to a Private IP Address. But I don't
| understand why, if the router so willingly does the translation, it makes any
| difference to a hacker whether one is between the computer and the Internet
| or not. Could someone give me a couple of examples of what a hacker would
| like to do that a router and NAT prevent? I do understand what Stateful
| Packet Inspection is, and the advantages of that are obvious to me.

Dave:

It appears you're telling me that another News Group would be better
equipped to answer my question. Thanks for your input. However, I've been
in both sides of the discussion in various News Grouups previously, use
"Search" regularly, and nobody has ever suggested that I didn't know how to
use a News Group. Perhaps you could suggest specifically what I'm doing
wrong, and then I won't do it again.

Frank

"David H. Lipman" wrote:

> Frank:
>
> Learn how to use New Groups and posting to UseNet and then post this question in;
> comp.protocols.tcp-ip
>

> --
> Dave
>

> "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | This may sound dumb, but while I know Windows fairly well, I've never been a
> | hacker. I understand what a router does, about IP addresses, NAT, and how a
> | Public IP Address gets converted to a Private IP Address. But I don't
> | understand why, if the router so willingly does the translation, it makes any
> | difference to a hacker whether one is between the computer and the Internet
> | or not. Could someone give me a couple of examples of what a hacker would
> | like to do that a router and NAT prevent? I do understand what Stateful
> | Packet Inspection is, and the advantages of that are obvious to me.

Frank, Matt Gibsons reply signifies the excellence

and professionalism which defines the high majority

of NEWSGROUP conversations. And I could not

have explained it as well as he did. Ask David Lipman

to remove the necrotizing goat testicles sewn to his

forehead before he attempts to converse in NEWSGROUPS.

Did you get that Dave, learn how to spell newsgroup before

wasting time and space with your retarded posts. I'll send

you some tokens for the pinball machine...

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This may sound dumb, but while I know Windows fairly well, I've never
> been a
> hacker. I understand what a router does, about IP addresses, NAT, and
> how a
> Public IP Address gets converted to a Private IP Address. But I don't
> understand why, if the router so willingly does the translation, it
> makes any
> difference to a hacker whether one is between the computer and the
> Internet
> or not. Could someone give me a couple of examples of what a hacker
> would
> like to do that a router and NAT prevent? I do understand what
> Stateful
> Packet Inspection is, and the advantages of that are obvious to me.

No, you are not doing anything wrong. You are just not doing it optimally.

The MS CDO Web front-end to the MS News Groups is like riding a tricycle instead of a
motorcycle.

News Groups are based upon an old Internet protocol known as NNTP or Network News Transfer
Protocol which is done over TCP port 119. There is a server that "hosts" News Groups and
there is client software that accesses those News Groups.

An example News Client would be Outlook Express.
Other notable News Clients are; Forte Agent, Netscape Messenger and Micro-gravity. There
is a long list of News Clients.

The following URL will take your default News Client "here" !

Note the news:// part indicates the Protocol, NNTP, TCP port 119
This is the name of the News Server; msnews.microsoft.com
This is the name of the News Group; microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

So by using this URL; news://msnews.microsoft.com/
You get to the Microsoft News Server. There you can view all the News Groups that server
provides and then find and "subscribe" to the News Group;
microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin

My ISP is Verizon. The vast majority of ISP's provide a News Server for their subscribers.
Verizon's News Server is; news.verizon.net
So the URL; news://news.verizon.net will take my defaulty News Client to the Verizon News
Server where I can view all the News Groups that their server provides and then find and
"subscribe" to the News Group; comp.protocols.tcp-ip

The following URL will take my News Client (Outlook Ex[press) there...

Now unless you also are a Verizon subscriber, it won't work for you. You would have to use
Cox Communicatrion's News Server or pay a third party News Server company like Giganews.

The following URL at Cox will provide you with the News Server for your locale.
http://usercenter.cox.net/rsuite/sdcuser/asp/unsupbrowser/news_settings.html

An example might be; news://news.east.cox.net/comp.protocols.tcp-ip

In summation:

There are a wealth of Internet UseNet News Groups to obtain specific information from and
using a News Client will substantially assist you in getting the *best* answers by targeting
your question to the best suited News Group.

As for "ATroutThatCodes", that is an example of the negative side of UseNet. There are many
jerks who are unwilling to help in any way shape or form but are quick to condemn. This
Comcast subscriber just ignore the moron.

--
Dave

"Frank Barger" <FrankBarger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Dave:
|
| It appears you're telling me that another News Group would be better
| equipped to answer my question. Thanks for your input. However, I've been
| in both sides of the discussion in various News Grouups previously, use
| "Search" regularly, and nobody has ever suggested that I didn't know how to
| use a News Group. Perhaps you could suggest specifically what I'm doing
| wrong, and then I won't do it again.
|
| Frank

Basically, the IP address that a router presents to the world is inert..
hackers can send what they like at it, and it just sits there.. that's how I
understand it anyway..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/user

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This may sound dumb, but while I know Windows fairly well, I've never been
> hacker. I understand what a router does, about IP addresses, NAT, and how
> Public IP Address gets converted to a Private IP Address. But I don't
> understand why, if the router so willingly does the translation, it makes
> any
> difference to a hacker whether one is between the computer and the
> Internet
> or not. Could someone give me a couple of examples of what a hacker would
> like to do that a router and NAT prevent? I do understand what Stateful
> Packet Inspection is, and the advantages of that are obvious to me.

I'm with you Frank. Hopefully Matt's explanation
helped you out. I sense Dave is going to give
his favorite goat stew recipe next ; /