Problem With Windows Firewall After Windows SP-2 Upgrade

January 25, 2005 7:43:05 PM

I'm running Windows XP Home and have upgraded to SP-2 via automatic updates.
After the installation was complete and system restarted, my Windows Security
Center indicates the Windows Firewall is turned off. Now, I was of the
understanding that SP-2 made activation of the Windows Firewall automatic.
When I attempt to start the Windows Firewall I receive an error as follows
which I obtained from the Event Viewer in the Administrative tools from the
Control Panel:

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 7023
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_EXIT_FAILED
Message: The %1 service terminated with the following error:
%2

Explanation
The specified service stopped unexpectedly with the error indicated in the
message. The service closed safely.

User Action
To troubleshoot the error:

Review the error information displayed in the message.
To display the WIN32_EXIT_CODE error that SCM encountered, at the command
prompt, type
sc query service name
The information displayed can help you troubleshoot possible causes for the
error.

Now, I'm connected to the internet via Broadband DSL modem connected to a
Linksys Wireless-G router with DHCP enabled, and hardware firewall running of
course. Everything worked just fine before I installed SP-2 for WinXP Home.
My attempts to activate the Windows Firewall by clicking on the Windows
Firewall icon from Control Panel also results in the same error message.
Does anyone have any idea what has happened and how I can fix it?

--
Windows XP Home
Anonymous

Donald wrote:

> I'm running Windows XP Home and have upgraded to SP-2 via automatic updates.
> After the installation was complete and system restarted, my Windows Security
> Center indicates the Windows Firewall is turned off. Now, I was of the
> understanding that SP-2 made activation of the Windows Firewall automatic.
> When I attempt to start the Windows Firewall I receive an error as follows
> which I obtained from the Event Viewer in the Administrative tools from the
> Control Panel:
>
> Details
> Product: Windows Operating System
> ID: 7023
> Source: Service Control Manager
> Version: 5.0
> Component: System Event Log
> Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_EXIT_FAILED
> Message: The %1 service terminated with the following error:
> %2
>
> Explanation
> The specified service stopped unexpectedly with the error indicated in the
> message. The service closed safely.
Hi

See if registering the following DLLs helps:

From Start/Run, run the following commands:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll

then

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll

Then do a reboot.

If that didn't work, and you have Service Pack 2 for WinXP installed,
please try this:

Start/Run --> cmd.exe

and then, in the command prompt, type:

netsh.exe winsock reset

and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
January 26, 2005 9:02:49 PM

I was also having this problem and your information helped me out. I followed
your instructions and tried running cmd.exe then netsh.exe.winsock reset then
rebooted and when it restarted, my firewall enabled. Thank you, Torgeir
Bakken.

"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" wrote:

> Donald wrote:
>
> > I'm running Windows XP Home and have upgraded to SP-2 via automatic updates.
> > After the installation was complete and system restarted, my Windows Security
> > Center indicates the Windows Firewall is turned off. Now, I was of the
> > understanding that SP-2 made activation of the Windows Firewall automatic.
> > When I attempt to start the Windows Firewall I receive an error as follows
> > which I obtained from the Event Viewer in the Administrative tools from the
> > Control Panel:
> >
> > Details
> > Product: Windows Operating System
> > ID: 7023
> > Source: Service Control Manager
> > Version: 5.0
> > Component: System Event Log
> > Symbolic Name: EVENT_SERVICE_EXIT_FAILED
> > Message: The %1 service terminated with the following error:
> > %2
> >
> > Explanation
> > The specified service stopped unexpectedly with the error indicated in the
> > message. The service closed safely.
> Hi
>
> See if registering the following DLLs helps:
>
> From Start/Run, run the following commands:
>
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\atl.dll
>
> then
>
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\hnetcfg.dll
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netshell.dll
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netcfgx.dll
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\netman.dll
>
> Then do a reboot.
>

> If that didn't work, and you have Service Pack 2 for WinXP installed,
> please try this:
>
> Start/Run --> cmd.exe
>
> and then, in the command prompt, type:
>
> netsh.exe winsock reset
>
> and hit Enter. Follow prompts and reboot.

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...

January 26, 2005 9:02:49 PM

Your suggestion of running 'netsh.exe winsock reset' from the command prompt
provided the solution to my problem. Windows Firewall is now on by default.
Your recommendation was the answer! Thanks.

!