Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

what version of Windows Media Encoder is installed?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 4:04:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

ATI instructions for installing MMC say that Windows Media Encoder 9.0 must
be installed.

Question: how can I determine what version of Windows Media Encoder is
installed on my computer?

TIA.
June 14, 2004 9:16:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

You wrote in news:D 8WdnfxlfIE_R1DdRVn-hg@gbronline.com thusly:

> ATI instructions for installing MMC say that Windows Media Encoder 9.0
> must be installed.
>
> Question: how can I determine what version of Windows Media Encoder is
> installed on my computer?

Look in Add/Remove for the Encoder entry.

> TIA.

TIA, is a bit over used these days. :) 

--

Mark
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 1:25:22 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:16:52 -0000, Mark <Mark@nolocation!.com> wrote:

>You wrote in news:D 8WdnfxlfIE_R1DdRVn-hg@gbronline.com thusly:
>
>> ATI instructions for installing MMC say that Windows Media Encoder 9.0
>> must be installed.
>>
>> Question: how can I determine what version of Windows Media Encoder is
>> installed on my computer?
>
>Look in Add/Remove for the Encoder entry.


Even easier, you should be able to launch it from Start > Programs,
Spoon.

>
>> TIA.
>
>TIA, is a bit over used these days. :) 


So what's wrong with being polite, Mark? I wish more people were...
:-)

patrickp

patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk - take five to email me
Related resources
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 2:50:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

> >> ATI instructions for installing MMC say that Windows Media Encoder 9.0
> >> must be installed.
> >>
> >> Question: how can I determine what version of Windows Media Encoder is
> >> installed on my computer?
> >
> >Look in Add/Remove for the Encoder entry.
>
>
> Even easier, you should be able to launch it from Start > Programs,
> Spoon.

> patrickp

I didn't find it in Add/Remove or in Start/Programs, so I must not have had
Encoder installed at all. Strange, because MMC seemed to be working just
fine without it. Now I've got Encoder installed - I hope there are no
adverse effects! Thanks for the help.
June 16, 2004 1:37:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

You wrote in news:o 72sc0dc17u54ubh2k95lnoskglrlf3tpc@4ax.com thusly:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 17:16:52 -0000, Mark <Mark@nolocation!.com> wrote:
>
>>You wrote in news:D 8WdnfxlfIE_R1DdRVn-hg@gbronline.com thusly:
>>
>>> ATI instructions for installing MMC say that Windows Media Encoder
>>> 9.0 must be installed.
>>>
>>> Question: how can I determine what version of Windows Media Encoder
>>> is installed on my computer?
>>
>>Look in Add/Remove for the Encoder entry.
>
>
> Even easier, you should be able to launch it from Start > Programs,
> Spoon.

Well, yeah. But I thought the OP couldn't find it, so looking in
Add/Remove would show if it was installed, as well as which version.

And is Windows Media Enocder really required?

I have a feeling that its only installed because of some sort of
agreement between ATI and Microsoft - so you have their horrid WMV
format installed.

>>> TIA.
>>
>>TIA, is a bit over used these days. :) 
>
>
> So what's wrong with being polite, Mark?

Nothing is wrong with being polite, Patrick. Consider this, would you
thank in advance the bridge toll taker before you get there in your car
or to the actual person handing you back your change? Should you yell
TIA to them? Would you not get your change if you don't yell TIA out
your car window a certain mileage from the bridge?

There is a certain amount of pretension in thanking nobody that has
helped you yet or maybe never will. It's an over used acronym that has
become meaningless. And, if thanks was really meant, would be spelled
out and used afterwards adding that special touch that you are actually
thankful. :) 

> I wish more people were... :-)

Same here.

Thanks,

--

Mark
June 16, 2004 1:51:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati (More info?)

You wrote in news:ar-dnXKq95Ox71PdRVn-vg@gbronline.com thusly:

>> >> ATI instructions for installing MMC say that Windows Media Encoder
>> >> 9.0 must be installed.
>> >>
>> >> Question: how can I determine what version of Windows Media
>> >> Encoder is installed on my computer?
>> >
>> >Look in Add/Remove for the Encoder entry.
>>
>>
>> Even easier, you should be able to launch it from Start > Programs,
>> Spoon.
>
>> patrickp
>
> I didn't find it in Add/Remove or in Start/Programs, so I must not
> have had Encoder installed at all. Strange, because MMC seemed to be
> working just fine without it. Now I've got Encoder installed - I hope
> there are no adverse effects! Thanks for the help.

That's interesting that you didn't have Windows Media Encoder installed
and everything worked fine.

Personally, if I was to do the install over again, I probably would not
install Windows Media Encoder just to see what happens. I will never use
that horrid closed WMV format. That is, if, that's the only reason ATI
says its necessary.

I didn't install Hydravision, DVD Decoder, ATI Remote Wonder and Guide
Plus. All of which I find unnecessary and just adds to the clutter.

--

Mark
!