window firewall problem!?

I could not open window firewall since i installed Window XP SP-2 through
automatic updates. When i clicked on 'windows firewall' in control panel, i
could not even open it. The only message pop out is 'window firewall settings
cannot be displayed because the associated service is not runnning. Do you
want to start the window firewall/ internet connection sharing (ICS)
service'. When i press 'yes', it seems to can't start the sevice..What should
i do?

Try starting it manually by Right click My Computer, select Manage, expand
Services and Applications, click on Services, scroll down to Windows
Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing, press the Start button... Check if it
is set to run Automatic.

"Steve86" wrote:

> I could not open window firewall since i installed Window XP SP-2 through
> automatic updates. When i clicked on 'windows firewall' in control panel, i
> could not even open it. The only message pop out is 'window firewall settings
> cannot be displayed because the associated service is not runnning. Do you
> want to start the window firewall/ internet connection sharing (ICS)
> service'. When i press 'yes', it seems to can't start the sevice..What should
> i do?

Hi Steve86,
if you won't be able to start the service manually, try:

Start / Run: cmd
netsh winsock reset <enter>
Reboot your computer
Try again

Hope this helps.

For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
--
Best Regards,
Matija Hrovat

"Steve86" <steve86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I could not open window firewall since i installed Window XP SP-2 through
> automatic updates. When i clicked on 'windows firewall' in control panel,
> could not even open it. The only message pop out is 'window firewall
> settings
> cannot be displayed because the associated service is not runnning. Do you
> want to start the window firewall/ internet connection sharing (ICS)
> service'. When i press 'yes', it seems to can't start the sevice..What
> should
> i do?

Thanks for telling me the ways..But, it seems still can't turn on the
firewall...I did try manually(30f4) and try on the run mode (Matija
Hrovat)..Is it my laptop strike by virus..If so, what should i do??I got
antivirus in my laptop..Version 2004..Or should i get some firewall
software??Anyway, thanks for ur willingness to help..May God bless you
always..

"3of4" wrote:

> Try starting it manually by Right click My Computer, select Manage, expand
> Services and Applications, click on Services, scroll down to Windows
> Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing, press the Start button... Check if it
> is set to run Automatic.
>
> "Steve86" wrote:
>
> > I could not open window firewall since i installed Window XP SP-2 through
> > automatic updates. When i clicked on 'windows firewall' in control panel, i
> > could not even open it. The only message pop out is 'window firewall settings
> > cannot be displayed because the associated service is not runnning. Do you
> > want to start the window firewall/ internet connection sharing (ICS)
> > service'. When i press 'yes', it seems to can't start the sevice..What should
> > i do?

Hey Steve,
lets try from the top.

If you open FireWall in control panel, does the window open (if not, what is
the exact error)?

If you start the firewall service manually, what error do you get ?

What does 30f4 means ? Please post the exact error.

About viruses, trojans and other stuff that you don't want on your computer:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
or

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
(for starters)

About 3rd party firewalls:
If you have time (and will) to troubleshoot the problem you're encountering,
fix it, and then you can decide if you like MS firewall or not.
If you just wanna have a firewall and you don't care which one:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/default.mspx

or
Host Shawn (Microsoft)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/chats/trans/winxppro/wxp040904.mspx
Q: any suggestion on 3rd party firewall compatible with SP2 beside its own
built-in firewall?
A: Yes, at this point, it appears that most existing third party firewalls
will continue to function under SP2. You would be well-advised to turn off
the ICF after install and before you turn on your 3rd party firewall. A
quick review of the SP2. newsgroup shows people have used Zone Alarm,
Sygate, Kerio, Symantec, McAfee, and others with SP2 installed.
or
http://www.zonelabs.com
or.....

Just remember 1 thing: