hotfix files and auto updates

I've had various problems (mainly due to Norton System Works' pervasive
protection I think), and now I'm worried that my automatic Windows updates
may have been corrupted, despite the update site's saying that I have them
all. (None appear in the Add/Remove programs utility - should they?) Norton
WinDoctor (registry checker) tells me that I have invalid pointers to missing
hotfix files (hotcore1nst.dll, NT4\hotcore.sys, and XP2K\hotcore.sys).

Questions: Is it safe to just find these fixes (or all the ones auto update
says I already have), download, and install them again? Could there be
problems if it turns out that I do indeed already have any of them? Could
sfc /scannow be overwriting them? Please help.
--
Jess

Hi,

This may sound dumb, but, if you are running WinXP SP2, in the "Add or
Remove Programs" dialog box there is an option on the top of the list
of programs, "Show updates". If it's not checked, you will not see the
updates in the list, if you turn it on you will be able to see them all.

Jess;
Use the MBSA to help determine what you have:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx
Then you can manually download and install any updates you may need.

Forget Norton WinDoctor.
Those tools sometimes do more damage then good while seldom producing any
real benefits.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Jess" <Jess@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I've had various problems (mainly due to Norton System Works' pervasive
> protection I think), and now I'm worried that my automatic Windows updates
> may have been corrupted, despite the update site's saying that I have them
> all. (None appear in the Add/Remove programs utility - should they?)
> Norton
> WinDoctor (registry checker) tells me that I have invalid pointers to
> missing
> hotfix files (hotcore1nst.dll, NT4\hotcore.sys, and XP2K\hotcore.sys).
>
> Questions: Is it safe to just find these fixes (or all the ones auto
> update
> says I already have), download, and install them again? Could there be
> problems if it turns out that I do indeed already have any of them? Could
> sfc /scannow be overwriting them? Please help.
> --
> Jess

Not dumb at all! Thank you - that's one part of my query answered. I think
Wondows addles the brain.

"branac" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This may sound dumb, but, if you are running WinXP SP2, in the "Add or
> Remove Programs" dialog box there is an option on the top of the list
> of programs, "Show updates". If it's not checked, you will not see the
> updates in the list, if you turn it on you will be able to see them all.

Thanks, I'll try it. It is interesting that MBSA's FAQs inform me that it
presently uses different methods from those used by the automatic update's
checker to check things (this is a good idea if it gives you another view of
what's on your hard disk), but the FAQs also say the Microsoft is hoping to
make these security checking tools use the same methods (which would not help
me because auto update history checker appears to work - at least it runs
through without any apparent problems). My concern is whether its assessment
is correct!

As for your comments on Norton tools - I'm beginning to realise this myself!

Finally, 1) do you know what XP Home would do if I tried to overwritie an
existing update? And 2) might sfc be undoing any updates - i.e. do any of
the security updates change any of the system files? Big thanks.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> Jess;
> Use the MBSA to help determine what you have:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx
> Then you can manually download and install any updates you may need.
>
> Forget Norton WinDoctor.
> Those tools sometimes do more damage then good while seldom producing any
> real benefits.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Jess;
1. Overwrite an update? Do you mean install again?
That will not change or hurt anything.

2. SFC should not undo any Windows Updates since it checks based on updates
installed.
That is one reason it is not a good idea to delete
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles.

--

> Thanks, I'll try it. It is interesting that MBSA's FAQs inform me that it
> presently uses different methods from those used by the automatic update's
> checker to check things (this is a good idea if it gives you another view
> of
> what's on your hard disk), but the FAQs also say the Microsoft is hoping
> make these security checking tools use the same methods (which would not
> help
> me because auto update history checker appears to work - at least it runs
> through without any apparent problems). My concern is whether its
> assessment
> is correct!
>
> As for your comments on Norton tools - I'm beginning to realise this
> myself!
>
> Finally, 1) do you know what XP Home would do if I tried to overwritie an
> existing update? And 2) might sfc be undoing any updates - i.e. do any of
> the security updates change any of the system files? Big thanks.
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Jess;
>> Use the MBSA to help determine what you have:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/tools/mbsahome.mspx
>> Then you can manually download and install any updates you may need.
>>
>> Forget Norton WinDoctor.
>> Those tools sometimes do more damage then good while seldom producing any
>> real benefits.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

Hi,

Yes, I meant installing an update that is already there. Thanks, I feel
reassured now.

> 1. Overwrite an update? Do you mean install again?
> That will not change or hurt anything.

TRENDING THREADS