XP Security Updates

I am using XP Home + SP2 and after installing the latest security updates,
Windows is asking me to log in.

I have never set an account ID or password so I don't know how to log in.
It won't accept a blank. To get out of this, I re-loaded a previous Ghost
image to put the machine back to the former state. I then tried setting a
login ID and password but after re-installing the updates, the system still
wouldn't accept it.

What can I do about this?

Trevor Rymell

If I understand correctly, Previously you booted directly to your desktop.
Now you reach the logon screen. If you cannot enter using by clicking that
account then you do have a password.

Reboot to safe mode (f8) and select the administrator account. If you have
the default setup this account shows during safe mode. Edit user accounts and
reset the password on the unusable account. Then select "change the way users
log on and off" and uncheck the "use welcome screen" option. THis will allow
your PC to boot directly to your account.