Pagers may be better than cell phones

Last response: in Network Providers
May 15, 2004 5:13:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

From newsgroup: news:tnn.comm.pager

What is a Pager or Beeper?

You probably have some idea since you are reading this, but a
definition is always a good way to be sure that we are talking about
the same things. A Pager is any device that carries numeric or
alphanumeric information, but not voice information, without wires in
a human readable form.

Isn't this a dead technology?

No, there are still advances being made in this technology! There are
many advantages to using these devices and still 12 million users in
North America!

What this means is that for every 10 Cellphones carried, there is one
Pager being carried. It was said best in "Cyberpunk Handbook" by St
Jude, RU Sirius, and Bart Nagel....

"This is sorta old-tech. It's passe', yes, but it's useful and cheap.
Don't disdain useful and cheap. Morons are taken in by expensive and
glittery and NEW NEW NEW. For that sort of thing, settle for the next
category and save big $$. Old tech, good stuff."

Why was this faq written and who was it written for?

To increase awareness of the use of Pagers, and to provide a central
repository of knowledge to aid Pager users in getting the most from
this technology.

This faq was written primarily for people using personally owned
pagers, but I am willing to expand for other kinds of users.

What are the advantages of Pagers?

Here are the major advantages.
It is less intrusive than telephones, you decide when and if you call
somebody.
Safer to be beeped while driving than to take a phone call.
Safer in environments such as hospitals and construction zones.
Better penetration of buildings.
News and email availability allow savvy users to "be a little online
all the time."
Much less expensive, can lower cellphone bill by screening through
pager also.

If I have to carry a cellphone, isn't it a waste to carry a pager
also?!

A lot of people carry both Cellphone and Pagers. Some people find that
in their area they are not always in cellphone range and carry the
pager as a backup.

Some people carry a Pager with a Cellphone to go with it. There are
many reasons why this is done....

Some people just respond better to printed material than voice. Some
just read faster than they listen, some are hard of hearing and a
alpha display is easier on them than listening to the other end of a
cell phone. Some people know they are going to be in loud environments
and a vibrating pager is better for them.

Then, some people are tired of the cost of cellphones. Those plans
where you are buying so many minutes a month are very expensive for
those who never use the phone unless they need to call a tow truck.
The feature of "free voicemail" on cellphones is there just so you
have to use airtime to listen to the message, then use more airtime to
make a return call. If you put the pager first, you know who you have
to call back without using any airtime minutes. You can call back from
anywhere, your cell phone, home phone, or office. By screening with a
pager, you can cut your minute usage way, way down. Then if you use a
prepaid cell phone, you can save money on top of that. Personally, I
have halfed my mobile telecommunication budget by going with pager and
cell combination, and have greater satisfaction to boot.

Then, of course, the pager is often better at email and news then
cellphones.

What kind of pager is right for me?

The answer is "depends."

If you are always in range, maybe a tiny pager that just receives
phone numbers is right for you. If you are sometimes out of range, you
may need a two way with assured messaging. If you are interested in
email and news, you definatly want alpha, and with a two-way you can
write or answer email wherever you are.

Consider also what you will need to do for repairs and upgrades. A
local pager shop may be the answer, it can be very handy to just go
around the corner to get a service change. Ask yourself before
shoping, where is the nearest local pager store? Where is the nearest
pager store run by a pager network?

How does it work?

Simple, you buy a beeper and a service contract. They give you a phone
number for the beeper. Somebody dials the number, hears a unique
beeper sound, generally half a dozen repeats of the same tone, and
they key in a phone number on a touch tone pad, and hang up. The
number keyed in appears on your pager moments later. You then call
them back at that number.

Is basic operation that simple?

There is one other thing. The Asterisk on the touch tone keyboard puts
a dash in between the numbers, and you can hit the number sign key to
tell the system that your done pitzing around and they can send the
page.

What about text messages?

Oh yeah, somebody logs into your pager companie's webpage, clicks
"send a message" or something like that. Keys in your pager number,
and their message, and it appears on your pager moments later.

Or, they can use the email address your pager company gives you.

[of course, this is for pagers that handle text....]

How can I make people page me instead of leaving a message on my
answering machine?

Use call forwarding from your phone company. The person should know
what to do when they hear those pager beeps pick up, but some pager
companies are now adding a synthesised voice that says "at the tone,
please leave a numeric message" before the beeps.

How can I make people send me text pages?

Your email program should have a function to set a "reply-to address."
This address when set, makes an answer to your email go to that
address regardless of the address in the "from." Field.

By setting this address to your beeper's address, you can cause
replies to your email to be converted into text pages.

How can I get notified of somebody leaving me a voicemail on my pager?

Some legacy equipment, like Radio Shack's TAD-268 can beep you after
taking a message (I heard this is a knockoff of a phone called the
"Freedom Phone," but have not had verification yet). Maybe you can
find one on EBAY. Also, Panasonic makes a two line business voice mail
that can do the same thing. It is called the "kx-tvs50" and the
"kx-tvs90." Also, some programs turn your computer into a voicemail
that beeps you when it takes a message, one is available at
www.imptec.com.

Also, your phone company, if you contract with them to handle your
voicemail on your home line, can probably beep you. Your pager company
can do this also, as well as many corporate email systems.

If I am out of range and an email goes to my pager don't I lose it?!
How can I protect myself from lost emails?

Your ISP may be willing to set up a seperate email address that copies
to your pager. If they can't, you may be able to join a web co-op like
troublepeach.com which can set up addresses like that for you.

You can do it yourself if you have a domain that you control through a
common interface called "cpanel" [if you have this kind of webhost,
you know who you are.] Heres the skinny with cpanel controlled webhost
accounts. Set up a pop3 account for email, then set up a email
forwarder FOR THE SAME USERNAME and set that to your pagers email
address. When this special email address is in the reply-to, your
email reply will be deposited in both the pop3 email account, as well
as forwarded to your pager. Even better is if you have an email
program that can scan multiple pop accounts!

If I toss my email address around the web, won't I get spammed on my
pager, and charged for that message from my pager company?

It's a risk. You can set up yourself up with a email forwarding
service that gives you an email address like "me@mail.com" which you
can set to forward to your pager's email address. Then if your paging
email address leaks out, you can kill the forwarding account. Same
thing can be done with webhost services and cpanel.

Please be advised that some email forwarders have compromised
addresses that spammers can get their hands on.

Are there any mailing lists for pager people?

Yes, there a few dozen on yahoo email groups. Heres the link...

You can also go to groups.yahoo.com and type in your kind of pager,
like "T900" into the search box.
Back to top

What about usenet?

Yes, we have a newsgroup, tnn.comm.pager. Also, there are pager
newsgroups in other languages and places, like Russian or German.
Back to top

How can I send messages from my two way to a device on another
network?

Here is the web addy you are looking for...

http://www.weblinkwireless.com/customerservice/how2send...

A great webpage from weblink that tells us how to text into another
carriers network.

What about the web?

A more technical webpage is available at http://www.braddye.com/

And a forum is available at http://kickme.to/wirelessworld

there is a periodical at http://www.wirelessweek.com.

All three of these sources carry advertising.

More about : pagers cell phones

Anonymous
May 15, 2004 11:58:27 AM

"PagerGuy" <pageguy@nospam.com> wrote in message
> From newsgroup: news:tnn.comm.pager

Yeah!!! I mean, just because I carry a cell phone doesn't mean I have to
ditch my pager. I may drive an SUV but I still tow my horse trailer behind
it as a back-up. THE HORSE IS NOT DEAD!!!! -Dave
May 15, 2004 12:00:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

comments inline

"PagerGuy" <pageguy@nospam.com> wrote in message
> From newsgroup: news:tnn.comm.pager
>
> What is a Pager or Beeper?
>

> You probably have some idea since you are reading this, but a
> definition is always a good way to be sure that we are talking about
> the same things. A Pager is any device that carries numeric or
> alphanumeric information, but not voice information, without wires in
> a human readable form.
>
> Isn't this a dead technology?

pretty much.

> No, there are still advances being made in this technology! There are
> many advantages to using these devices and still 12 million users in
> North America!
>
> What this means is that for every 10 Cellphones carried, there is one
> Pager being carried. It was said best in "Cyberpunk Handbook" by St
> Jude, RU Sirius, and Bart Nagel....
>
> "This is sorta old-tech. It's passe', yes, but it's useful and cheap.
> Don't disdain useful and cheap. Morons are taken in by expensive and
> glittery and NEW NEW NEW. For that sort of thing, settle for the next
> category and save big $$. Old tech, good stuff."

If you already have a cellphone that does everything a pager can do then why
would you want a pager?

> Why was this faq written and who was it written for?
>

> To increase awareness of the use of Pagers, and to provide a central
> repository of knowledge to aid Pager users in getting the most from
> this technology.
>
> This faq was written primarily for people using personally owned
> pagers, but I am willing to expand for other kinds of users.
>

> What are the advantages of Pagers?
>

> Here are the major advantages.
> It is less intrusive than telephones, you decide when and if you call
> somebody.
> Safer to be beeped while driving than to take a phone call.
> Safer in environments such as hospitals and construction zones.
> Better penetration of buildings.
> News and email availability allow savvy users to "be a little online
> all the time."
> Much less expensive, can lower cellphone bill by screening through
> pager also.

I can do that with my phone.

> If I have to carry a cellphone, isn't it a waste to carry a pager
> also?!
>

> A lot of people carry both Cellphone and Pagers. Some people find that
> in their area they are not always in cellphone range and carry the
> pager as a backup.

I retired our pagers 2 years ago. One of the biggest problems I had with
pagers is that you did not know if you missed a page because you were in a
(even momentary) bad coverage area. Now we use text messaging to replace the
alpha pages. Since the cell system is store and forward and will only send
the page when it sees the phone it is very unlikely that you will miss a
page.

> Some people carry a Pager with a Cellphone to go with it. There are
> many reasons why this is done....
>
> Some people just respond better to printed material than voice. Some
> just read faster than they listen, some are hard of hearing and a
> alpha display is easier on them than listening to the other end of a
> cell phone. Some people know they are going to be in loud environments
> and a vibrating pager is better for them.

My cell phone displays alpha messages and vibrates too.

> Then, some people are tired of the cost of cellphones. Those plans
> where you are buying so many minutes a month are very expensive for
> those who never use the phone unless they need to call a tow truck.
> The feature of "free voicemail" on cellphones is there just so you
> have to use airtime to listen to the message, then use more airtime to
> make a return call. If you put the pager first, you know who you have
> to call back without using any airtime minutes. You can call back from
> anywhere, your cell phone, home phone, or office. By screening with a
> pager, you can cut your minute usage way, way down. Then if you use a
> prepaid cell phone, you can save money on top of that. Personally, I
> have halfed my mobile telecommunication budget by going with pager and
> cell combination, and have greater satisfaction to boot.
>
> Then, of course, the pager is often better at email and news then
> cellphones.

In what way?

> [...]
> like "T900" into the search box.
> Back to top
>

> What about usenet?
>

> Yes, we have a newsgroup, tnn.comm.pager. Also, there are pager
> newsgroups in other languages and places, like Russian or German.
> Back to top
>

> How can I send messages from my two way to a device on another
> network?
>

> Here is the web addy you are looking for...
>
> http://www.weblinkwireless.com/customerservice/how2send...
>
> A great webpage from weblink that tells us how to text into another
> carriers network.
>
> What about the web?
>

> A more technical webpage is available at http://www.braddye.com/
>
> And a forum is available at http://kickme.to/wirelessworld
>
> there is a periodical at http://www.wirelessweek.com.
>
> All three of these sources carry advertising.
May 15, 2004 4:45:46 PM

On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:00:21 -0400, "George" <George@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>pretty much.

Except for those of us who need 24/7 communications. Details below.

>> No, there are still advances being made in this technology! There are
>> many advantages to using these devices and still 12 million users in
>> North America!
>>
>> What this means is that for every 10 Cellphones carried, there is one
>> Pager being carried. It was said best in "Cyberpunk Handbook" by St
>> Jude, RU Sirius, and Bart Nagel....
>>
>> "This is sorta old-tech. It's passe', yes, but it's useful and cheap.
>> Don't disdain useful and cheap. Morons are taken in by expensive and
>> glittery and NEW NEW NEW. For that sort of thing, settle for the next
>> category and save big $$. Old tech, good stuff."

On Sat, 15 May 2004 08:00:21 -0400, "George" <George@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>If you already have a cellphone that does everything a pager can do then why
>would you want a pager?
<snip>

Because a pager does it better, more reliably, and for longer than a
celphone will run.

1) One AA cell runs my 2-way text pager for weeks when used frequently. My
(three) cellphones (Nokia, Palm and Samsung) need to be restoked with a
charge daily, or even more often, if used frequently, even if just in text
modes.

2) I can get replacement AAs in any convenience store and be back on line
in less than a minute after swapping the battery. How far do I have to
drive to get a replacement cellphone battery, and when are they open? How
long is that phone off line while charging? Think about that one.

3) Dead zones are more frequent for cellular than for pagers. When I do
calldowns for my (24-hour on call go-anywhere-in-seven-counties) team, I
always do pagers first because experience has shown that sending 'pages'
and SMS to cellphones results in a high failure rate. I also see this when
I travel in urban areas; concrete canyons block cellular signals much more
than paging signals.

4) Paging infrastructure is more robust. Paging (and 2-way messaging using
Blackberries and Palm Sevens) worked continually despite the collapse of
the WTC. It took weeks to get the cellular net back up. Talk to anyone who
worked at Ground Zero, and they will tell you pagers, and paging-based
systems such as old Blackberries and Palm Sevens saved their butts.

<snip>

--
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.
May 15, 2004 6:11:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I use a pager in a very simple yet effective way. Our office voicemail
system has an outcall feature that will notify you if you have messages.

Having it call my cell phone is a nuisance because it causes the phone
to ring rather than just notify me. Digital paging on a cellphone is a
worthless feature as far as I'm concerned. I always turn the prompt off
that suggest that people leave a callback number on the cell phone. If
they call my cell phone, they can just leave a voicemail message. By
the way, with Sprint, you can turn all of the prompts off, which I have
done.

The pager is set for simple tone paging, meaning that when the outcall
feature makes the call, it just beeps or vibrates the pager. Nobody
else knows my pager number so it always means that I have calls waiting.
It costs me $5 per month for tone paging service. You can do the same
thing with digital paging, but it takes some extra programming on the
voicemail system. The problem is, some of the paging companies either
don't offer tone paging or don't understand what it is. I dropped Arch
Paging and with the local provider for this reason.

Low tech, but it works great for me.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 8:30:09 PM

"Ray" <rayindesmoines@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:nyppc.52675$536.9040041@attbi_s03...
> I use a pager in a very simple yet effective way. Our office voicemail
> system has an outcall feature that will notify you if you have messages.

I do that with my Nokia cell phone using the ATTWS paging number.

> Having it call my cell phone is a nuisance because it causes the phone
> to ring rather than just notify me. Digital paging on a cellphone is a
> worthless feature as far as I'm concerned. I always turn the prompt off
> that suggest that people leave a callback number on the cell phone. If
> they call my cell phone, they can just leave a voicemail message. By
> the way, with Sprint, you can turn all of the prompts off, which I have
> done.

The phone doesn't ring if you use a numeric-paging interface number.
I don't have people page me either; just my answering machine.

> The pager is set for simple tone paging, meaning that when the outcall
> feature makes the call, it just beeps or vibrates the pager. Nobody
> else knows my pager number so it always means that I have calls waiting.
> It costs me $5 per month for tone paging service. You can do the same
> thing with digital paging, but it takes some extra programming on the
> voicemail system. The problem is, some of the paging companies either
> don't offer tone paging or don't understand what it is. I dropped Arch
> Paging and with the local provider for this reason.

My phone just beeps when it gets a text message. I know it's my
answering machine because nobody else sends me text messages.

> Low tech, but it works great for me.

It's still an extra piece of gear that most people don't need.
Anonymous
May 15, 2004 8:36:23 PM

In alt.cellular Please invert everything left of the @ to reply <3yeltrabnhoj@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1) One AA cell runs my 2-way text pager for weeks when used frequently. My
> (three) cellphones (Nokia, Palm and Samsung) need to be restoked with a
> charge daily, or even more often, if used frequently, even if just in text
> modes.

Let's be fair: that's because you only use a lot of juice when you're
receiving or sending a page and that only takes seconds... a cell phone
does a lot more stuff, especially when actually being used...

> 3) Dead zones are more frequent for cellular than for pagers. When I do
> calldowns for my (24-hour on call go-anywhere-in-seven-counties) team, I
> always do pagers first because experience has shown that sending 'pages'
> and SMS to cellphones results in a high failure rate. I also see this when
> I travel in urban areas; concrete canyons block cellular signals much more
> than paging signals.

Hm. That doesn't make sense - it's all radio transmissions, whether to a pager
or not. What frequency do pagers run on? Isn't it normally 900 MHz? That's
pretty close to what a lot of the cellular carriers run... although a lot of
them also run on the PCS frequencies.

> 4) Paging infrastructure is more robust.

This is true.

May 16, 2004 12:03:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Even though I carry a cell phone (Nextel) I also carry a SkyTel numeric
pager as well as an "old school" (no phone, just email) Blackberry. The
pager *MIGHT* go off two or three times a year but when it does, its a
life saver. In my businesses we use a lot of redundant back-up's "just in
case" as customer service is crucial to us and seperates us from the
competition. As for the Blackberry and the 9-11 comment I saw in this
thread, interesting. I was just about getting on the GWB on 9-11 when the
WTC was hit. Both of my cell phones (AT&T and Verizon at the time) were
pretty useless pretty quickly but my Blackberry (via Earthlink using
Cingular's network I think) kept working flawlessly and allowed me to stay
in touch with family. As much as I would like to switch to one of the
smaller (i.e. T-Mobile 7230) Blackberry units, I always remember 9-11 and
just figure they might fail in a 9-11 scenario whereas my old school
BBerry probably would not. It would not surprise me if I am wrong about
this, again, just an assumption on my part.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 12:57:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I already have a cell phone that can receive pages at no extra charge and I
don't have to try to find a working pay phone to return a page. Why spend
extra money for something that my phone can do already?
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 12:57:04 AM

In alt.cellular pemalu <ayah@frontiernet.nettttttttt> wrote:
> I already have a cell phone that can receive pages at no extra charge and I
> don't have to try to find a working pay phone to return a page. Why spend
> extra money for something that my phone can do already?

I think probably the biggest reason is that there may still be areas
where pagers have coverage where cell phones don't. Not as big an issue in
the city, but in outlying areas it may make a difference.

Alpha two-way paging, a couple years ago through Arch Wireless, cost me
$10 per month for 10,000 characters. They "leased" me a P935 two-way pager,
but there was no monthly lease charge. So... pagers don't cost that much more
additional money monthly, either. I do agree that it can be a pain to carry
the extra equipment, though.

May 16, 2004 12:57:04 AM

In article <zuvpc.5027$BZ7.2824@news01.roc.ny>,
"pemalu" <ayah@frontiernet.nettttttttt> wrote:

> I already have a cell phone that can receive pages at no extra charge and I
> don't have to try to find a working pay phone to return a page. Why spend
> extra money for something that my phone can do already?

Frequently you can receive pages in places where your cell phone would
never work.

That's a nice flexibility to have.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 2:33:53 AM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <zuvpc.5027$BZ7.2824@news01.roc.ny>,
> "pemalu" <ayah@frontiernet.nettttttttt> wrote:
>
>> I already have a cell phone that can receive pages at no extra
>> charge and I don't have to try to find a working pay phone to return
>> a page. Why spend extra money for something that my phone can do
>> already?
>
> Frequently you can receive pages in places where your cell phone would
> never work.
>
> That's a nice flexibility to have.

I suppose if I traveled a lot, that would be useful.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 2:33:54 AM

In article <lVwpc.4641$8F3.3280@news02.roc.ny>,
"pemalu" <ayah@frontiernet.nettttttttt> wrote:

> > Frequently you can receive pages in places where your cell phone would
> > never work.
> >
> > That's a nice flexibility to have.
>
> I suppose if I traveled a lot, that would be useful.

Not even that. There are holes in Nextel service, for example, even in
large cities.

I've seen pagers receiving pages in basements where cell phones have no
service.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 4:43:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I find that cells have many more dead zones than pagers.

Other pager advantages:
Cellphones are banned in many hospital areas, so pagers are de rigeur
for hospital workers.
I don't know if this still the case, but a few years ago when I tried to
do without a pager, there can be a significant delay (up to 2-3 minutes)
before a text message shows up on my cellphone, while pagers seldom have
more than a 15 second delay. In the medical/hospital setting, a 2-3 minute
delay just doesn't cut it.

So...I have to lug around both a cellphone and a pager. I bet there is a
market for a dual-use phone with individual pager and cell-phone
circuitries.

Bill T
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 4:44:04 AM

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote:

> In article <zuvpc.5027$BZ7.2824@news01.roc.ny>,
> "pemalu" <ayah@frontiernet.nettttttttt> wrote:
>
> > I already have a cell phone that can receive pages at no extra charge and I
> > don't have to try to find a working pay phone to return a page. Why spend
> > extra money for something that my phone can do already?
>
> Frequently you can receive pages in places where your cell phone would
> never work.
>
> That's a nice flexibility to have.

More flexibility...

I've got a Motorola PF 1500 Alphanumeric (2-way) pager with Verizon Wireless
service. If I'm in a meeting, or any other place where it's impossible, or
INCONSIDERATE (A not-so subtle hint for the cell phone users who insist upon
talking in inappropriate venues!), and I'm paged, all I have to do is send
a "canned" response to the caller, or type in a custom response on the
alphanumeric keyboard.

In addition, if the pager is ever out-of-range, and I'm paged, the system
stores messages for me and alerts me when I'm back in-range.

Larry
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 5:00:47 AM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <lVwpc.4641$8F3.3280@news02.roc.ny>,
> "pemalu" <ayah@frontiernet.nettttttttt> wrote:
>
>>> Frequently you can receive pages in places where your cell phone
>>> would never work.
>>>
>>> That's a nice flexibility to have.
>>
>> I suppose if I traveled a lot, that would be useful.
>
> Not even that. There are holes in Nextel service, for example, even
> in large cities.
>
> I've seen pagers receiving pages in basements where cell phones have
> no service.

Where I live, I found dead spots with Cingular, but so far, not with Verizon
except inside some buildings.
May 16, 2004 6:25:39 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Unless you live in an area like I do, which is a mix of urban and suburban,
and the pager carriers have abandoned the upkeep of the infrastructure. My
VZW works quite well, whereas my pagers only worked in certain 'hot spots'
in my house. Different carriers, different model pagers. Same story.

The cell phone providers are more concerned about dead spots than paging
companies.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 7:52:26 AM

Stan wrote:

> Unless you live in an area like I do, which is a mix of urban and suburban,
> and the pager carriers have abandoned the upkeep of the infrastructure. My
> VZW works quite well, whereas my pagers only worked in certain 'hot spots'
> in my house. Different carriers, different model pagers. Same story.
>
> The cell phone providers are more concerned about dead spots than paging
> companies.

Mainly because cell phones have more dead spots than pagers!

Larry
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 10:25:15 AM

In message <<DiApc.49020$jU.2837668@twister.southeast.rr.com>> "Stan"
<stanncno1spam@noispam.yahoo.com> did ramble:

>The cell phone providers are more concerned about dead spots than paging
>companies.

Which is weird since cell phones typically have voicemail, and will hold
SMS and voicemail messages until the cellphone comes back, whereas with
a pager, the page is completely lost if it occurs when the pager is out
of range.

--
I'm only a pigment of my imagination.
Anonymous

In message <<2gnct2F4m96eU1@uni-berlin.de>> "L David Matheny"
<ldmnews1@netassoc.net> did ramble:

>> I use a pager in a very simple yet effective way. Our office voicemail
>> system has an outcall feature that will notify you if you have messages.
>>
>I do that with my Nokia cell phone using the ATTWS paging number.

Unfortunately you have to be able to configure your voicemail system to
dial a custom string in order for this solution to work.

A lot of voicemail systems only let you input your pager number, then
simply listen for one or more beeps and dial the voicemail access number
or the mailbox number or some other predefined string. Works great on a
pager with a dedicated number, but not for a cellphone.

I can't have it dial my cellphone voicemail's access number followed by
#mycellphone#1<something>## which is what would be required to have a
voicemail system "page" my cellphone.
--
I'm only a pigment of my imagination.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 10:56:49 AM

In alt.cellular DevilsPGD <lalalaNOSPAM@crazyhat.net> wrote:

> Which is weird since cell phones typically have voicemail, and will hold
> SMS and voicemail messages until the cellphone comes back, whereas with
> a pager, the page is completely lost if it occurs when the pager is out
> of range.

Unless you use a pager that has ReFlex service. It's a ping-pong type
deal...Of course it costs more then your standard pager and service, but
you will receive your pages when you get in coverage. When I used to
have a pager I went with Reflex from two different companies. I ened up
with Metrocall when I turned off the pager and my landline phone and
went completely wireless in 2001.
May 16, 2004 12:23:04 PM

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message news:elmop->
> Not even that. There are holes in Nextel service, for example, even in
> large cities.

That is an understatement... Why do you think the most common thing you hear
when calling a nextel customer is "please wait while we try to locate the
nextel subscriber" and then voice mail?

> I've seen pagers receiving pages in basements where cell phones have no
> service.

May 16, 2004 12:33:03 PM

"Mark E. Daniel" <mark@atarimax.com> wrote in message
> In alt.cellular DevilsPGD <lalalaNOSPAM@crazyhat.net> wrote:
>
> Unless you use a pager that has ReFlex service. It's a ping-pong type
> deal...Of course it costs more then your standard pager and service, but
> you will receive your pages when you get in coverage. When I used to
> have a pager I went with Reflex from two different companies. I ened up
> with Metrocall when I turned off the pager and my landline phone and
> went completely wireless in 2001.

I had a trial of one of those just when paging was starting to really
decline. The best system in my region has 15 transmitters. The 2 way company
only had 2 , 2 way sites to service the Reflex pagers. So most of the time
the display would say something like "standby" or "waiting". Both providers
were bought by Metrocall about the time Metrocall went into bankruptcy.
Anonymous
May 16, 2004 3:23:22 PM

In article <40A6E57A.17FF1C9F@spamcop.net>,
Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

> Mainly because cell phones have more dead spots than pagers!

It would be nice if ANY carrier had an honest coverage map that showed
them. They are all ignoring their own "Consumer Code".
May 17, 2004 1:57:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Please invert everything left of the @ to reply wrote:

[....]

> 4) Paging infrastructure is more robust. Paging (and 2-way messaging using
> Blackberries and Palm Sevens) worked continually despite the collapse of
> the WTC. It took weeks to get the cellular net back up. Talk to anyone who
> worked at Ground Zero, and they will tell you pagers, and paging-based
> systems such as old Blackberries and Palm Sevens saved their butts.

Considering there were two cellular call processing centers located at
the WTC, several weeks doesn't surprise me a bit. If the paging system
had been there, that system would've been offline too.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten' ICQ = 35253273
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

Ray wrote:

> I use a pager in a very simple yet effective way. Our office voicemail
> system has an outcall feature that will notify you if you have messages.
>
> Having it call my cell phone is a nuisance because it causes the phone
> to ring rather than just notify me. Digital paging on a cellphone is a
> worthless feature as far as I'm concerned. I always turn the prompt off
> that suggest that people leave a callback number on the cell phone. If
> they call my cell phone, they can just leave a voicemail message. By
> the way, with Sprint, you can turn all of the prompts off, which I have
> done.

By the way, you can turn all those prompts off with Cingular, too, which
I haven't done because forcing people to sit through all that gibberish
makes them think I'm a really important busy person. :)

> The pager is set for simple tone paging, meaning that when the outcall
> feature makes the call, it just beeps or vibrates the pager. Nobody
> else knows my pager number so it always means that I have calls waiting.
> It costs me $5 per month for tone paging service. You can do the same
> thing with digital paging, but it takes some extra programming on the
> voicemail system. The problem is, some of the paging companies either
> don't offer tone paging or don't understand what it is. I dropped Arch
> Paging and with the local provider for this reason.
>
> Low tech, but it works great for me.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten' ICQ = 35253273
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of
what we know." -- Richard Wilbur
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 3:43:15 AM

In article <BOypc.49206$Dc1.11202@newssvr29.news.prodigy.com>, wctom1
@pacbell.net says...
> Cellphones are banned in many hospital areas, so pagers are de rigeur
> for hospital workers.

Another case like at the gas station and aboard airplanes--zero
confirmed problems but we're going to CYA.....

> So...I have to lug around both a cellphone and a pager. I bet there is a
> market for a dual-use phone with individual pager and cell-phone
> circuitries.

Several years ago the Cellular Buyers Guide actually listed such an
animal--totally different ciruits. A lotta people at the time were
taping pagers to their phones (before the days of tiny phones).
Apparently it never flew.

The main problem I had getting rid of my pager was that several devices
had to be able to page me and they had a limited amount of digits to
work with so the clumsy page access number Cingular uses wouldn't work
(required too many digits). And before anyone says you can page through
the voicemail menu--DEVICES can't do that since the phone would ring and
if I answered the call it would never get to VM. Maybe there are some
people out there that can hear a string of tones in their ear and be
able to recognize a code string (oh server#3 is down!!) but not me. I
only solved the problem by using a one-number service with a dedicated
number and a single digit menu to access the numeric page function.
Works fine but I'd like to see the cellular carriers offer a seperate
phone number that goes straight to the numeric paging prompt. It could
be another $4/month charge for them.

--
Jud
Dallas TX USA

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <rmarkoff-415120.06232216052004
@news06.east.earthlink.net>, rmarkoff@yahoo.com says...
> It would be nice if ANY carrier had an honest coverage map that showed
> them. They are all ignoring their own "Consumer Code".

There's never going to be the kind of map you expect, Phill. That
kind of detail is physically impossible to provide *or* guarantee.

Too many variables able to induce drastic, and possibly short-lived,
problems in very tiny areas.

--
RØß
O/Siris

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I had a pager and cell phone(s) for years. I dropped the pager a couple
years ago for a few reasons:
1. I need a large coverage area (NE US) with no gaps. This precludes the
satellite services, as there are HUGE gaps between cities. Cell phone is
much, much better coverage for very wide areas or national.
2. Pager technology has not evolved at all. Pager transmitter companies
have discontinued producing equipment, and most pager operators are
maintaining their old equipment or buying used equipment at auction. It is a
dying technology.
3. Missed pages were just plain missed. Missed cell calls route to
voicemail which is delivered when I got back into coverage. True, there is a
pager service that does this, too, but it costs nearly as much as basic cell
service.
4. My "superwide regional" pager coverage cost me about 12.00 a month when
I quit. Basic cell service for the same area costs about 25.00 a month.
5. Every single page still results in a cell phone call from my end to
return the page. Waste of time.
6. My cell phone is now about the same size as my beeper was. Battery life
is no longer an issue, either. My cell phone can vibrate like my beeper did,
etc..
Sorry, pagers are a dying technology. There is no advantage to them at all
for me, and probably not for anyone else fairly soon.
"PagerGuy" <pageguy@nospam.com> wrote in message
> From newsgroup: news:tnn.comm.pager
>
> What is a Pager or Beeper?
>

> You probably have some idea since you are reading this, but a
> definition is always a good way to be sure that we are talking about
> the same things. A Pager is any device that carries numeric or
> alphanumeric information, but not voice information, without wires in
> a human readable form.
>
> Isn't this a dead technology?
>

> No, there are still advances being made in this technology! There are
> .
May 17, 2004 3:46:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> Considering there were two cellular call processing centers located at
> the WTC, several weeks doesn't surprise me a bit. If the paging system
> had been there, that system would've been offline too.

Since you seem to be knowledagble in this are, "dumb question" if I may.
On 9-11 I was just about on the GWB when the tragedy began. My cell phones
(Verizon and AT&T at the time) were pretty useless pretty quickly but my
Blackbery (957) from Earthlink (using Motient/Cingular) never stopped
working and allowed me to stay in touch with family. I had a similiar
experience last summer during the NYC blackouts.

Though I was happy to stay in touch, I was surprised. Does the Blackberry
work on differnt towers/transmitters than cellular? Also, I have
considered switching from my 957 to a phone type Blackbery but based on
the above experiences, I was concerned. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Scott
May 17, 2004 5:38:08 PM

"Prilosec" <purple@nni.net> wrote in message
> I had a pager and cell phone(s) for years. I dropped the pager a couple
> years ago for a few reasons:
> 1. I need a large coverage area (NE US) with no gaps. This precludes the
> satellite services, as there are HUGE gaps between cities. Cell phone is
> much, much better coverage for very wide areas or national.

I operate in the same area and came to the same conclusion. From my
experience the "satellite" system always had the worst coverage because they
only had a few transmitters in each city.

> 2. Pager technology has not evolved at all. Pager transmitter companies
> have discontinued producing equipment, and most pager operators are
> maintaining their old equipment or buying used equipment at auction. It is
> dying technology.

That is pretty much what is going on here. Some of the systems are dead and
the ones that are up need to buy used equipment to keep going. Last time I
checked Motorola no longer made pagers and the largest pager system operator
(Metrocall) was still in bankruptcy. Someone I know who had a good regional
system ended up having to sell it cheap just to get out from under it
because he was down to less than 10% of his former customers. He wasn't
making enough to pay the bills.

> 3. Missed pages were just plain missed. Missed cell calls route to
> voicemail which is delivered when I got back into coverage. True, there is
> pager service that does this, too, but it costs nearly as much as basic
cell
> service.
> 4. My "superwide regional" pager coverage cost me about 12.00 a month
when
> I quit. Basic cell service for the same area costs about 25.00 a month.
> 5. Every single page still results in a cell phone call from my end to
> return the page. Waste of time.
> 6. My cell phone is now about the same size as my beeper was. Battery
life
> is no longer an issue, either. My cell phone can vibrate like my beeper
did,
> etc..
> Sorry, pagers are a dying technology. There is no advantage to them at all
> for me, and probably not for anyone else fairly soon.
May 17, 2004 5:40:54 PM

"Mike Shea" <Mike_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> There is an interesting article that touches on this as well -
>
> How Reliable are Cell Phones -
> http://www.ringtones-central.com/how-reliable-are-cell-...

Most of the time we use the TAP protocol as described in the article to send
alpha pages to our phones. VZW maintains a TAP interface with a toll free
number.
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 7:30:36 PM

Prilosec wrote:

> <snip>
>
> Sorry, pagers are a dying technology. There is no advantage to them at all
> for me, and probably not for anyone else fairly soon.

UNLESS, once again, you're in a venue where communication is a must, and
talking on a cell phone is impossible.

Larry
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 8:20:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

YMMV. I carry both pager and cell phone and have different experiences.
Answers below:

"Prilosec" <purple@nni.net> wrote:
> I had a pager and cell phone(s) for years. I dropped the pager a couple
> years ago for a few reasons:
> 1. I need a large coverage area (NE US) with no gaps. This precludes the
> satellite services, as there are HUGE gaps between cities. Cell phone is
> much, much better coverage for very wide areas or national.

I find the opposite is true in WA and OR. My pager reaches almost
everywhere, while my multi-band (TDMA & GSM/GPRS) cell phone has all kinds
of gaps -- especially in rural and semi-rural areas. Also have fewer
problems with pager in buildings, etc. However, your comments about
national service could well be true.

> 2. Pager technology has not evolved at all. Pager transmitter companies
> have discontinued producing equipment, and most pager operators are
> maintaining their old equipment or buying used equipment at auction. It is
> dying technology.

Pretty much true. However, I'd say it is a *stagnant* technology.

> 3. Missed pages were just plain missed. Missed cell calls route to
> voicemail which is delivered when I got back into coverage. True, there is
> pager service that does this, too, but it costs nearly as much as basic
cell
> service.

You can also get message storage &/or voicemail inexpensively. I pay less
than $15, including all of the BS taxes and surcharges. Even though a
(numeric or voice) page doesn't get through, it is stored in a
voicemail-like box. It doesn't keep notifying like a cell phone, but the
message isn't totally lost. Also, cell phone voicemail notifications aren't
perfect. I've had messages with no alert... and a persistent alert icon
with no messages in the box. And... pager notifications, in my experience,
are much more timely. I've had cell phone notifications and SMS's that are
significantly delayed.

> 4. My "superwide regional" pager coverage cost me about 12.00 a month
when
> I quit. Basic cell service for the same area costs about 25.00 a month.

You forgot that cell services tend to tack on much larger taxes and fees.
Here, you're probably looking at $14 & $32 for the same two packages.

> 5. Every single page still results in a cell phone call from my end to
> return the page. Waste of time.

Not always. Even with just numberic paging, you can use "pager shorthand"
to send messages regarding times or the relative importance of the message,
etc.

> 6. My cell phone is now about the same size as my beeper was. Battery
life
> is no longer an issue, either. My cell phone can vibrate like my beeper
did,
> etc..

Unless you have a teeny-tiny Barbie-sized cell phone like the ones in the
Will Farrell SNL skit, that isn't true. My Motorola pager is about the size
of a thick Zippo lighter. And it also takes *much* more abuse than a cell
phone would.

> ... There is no advantage to them at all for me...

For you and others, this could be very true. But everyone's needs and
experiences are different. For example, I don't need to play "trucker" with
Nextel PTT service -- "Breaker 1-9, Breaker 1-9... we got us a convoy!"
Anonymous
May 17, 2004 8:51:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Let me guess... you have a vested stake in the pager industry, don't you?

PagerGuy wrote:

> Isn't this a dead technology?
>

> No, there are still advances being made in this technology! There are
> many advantages to using these devices and still 12 million users in
> North America!

I won't deny that paging technology is very useful. It's found a good
niche in telemetry applications, which has been its bread and butter for
a while now since the public at large has ditched paging for cell
phones. Is it as useful to the average person as a cell phone, however?
That's debatable, and I'd argue that in many cases, no. This is why
cellphones have long overtaken paging. the price point is right, and
the features are more useable.

> What are the advantages of Pagers?
>

> Here are the major advantages.
> It is less intrusive than telephones, you decide when and if you call
> somebody.

*shrug* I decide when and if I call someone with my cellphone too. I
guess people fail to realize that having a cellphone doesn't mean you
must answer every call. If intrusion is a problem, you look at the
caller id info and decide for yourself if you want to answer the phone
or not.

> Safer to be beeped while driving than to take a phone call.

How so? if I take my eyes off the road to see who's calling me on a
pager, then I've taken my eyes off the road and compromised everyone's
safety.

> Safer in environments such as hospitals and construction zones.

How? Explain how an RF device, especially the newer two-way pagers that
are out there, are any safer.

> Better penetration of buildings.

This has always been an illusion. A lack of signal strength indicators
does not mean that you've always got a good signal. it's simply harder
to discern whether you've actually got good coverage on a pager than it
is on a cell phone.

> News and email availability allow savvy users to "be a little online
> all the time."

Mobile web surfing on your cell phone, anyone?

> Much less expensive, can lower cellphone bill by screening through
> pager also.

This was the case back in, say, 1996, when cell phone minutes were
scarce and you actually got charged for things like LD. With bucket
minutes, if a person has a plan with more minutes than they ever use,
then the benefit they see having a pager around is zero in terms of
reduced costs. And even if someone is constantly going over their plan,
not answering the phone and observing CID info is just as good as a
pager in many respects.

> A lot of people carry both Cellphone and Pagers. Some people find that
> in their area they are not always in cellphone range and carry the
> pager as a backup.

Ah yes, I subscribed to that farcical notion too. Unfortunately, people
don't often tell you that they paged you and ask you if you got it...
they just assume you did and that you ignored them.

> Then, some people are tired of the cost of cellphones. Those plans
> where you are buying so many minutes a month are very expensive for
> those who never use the phone unless they need to call a tow truck.

....and a pager will allow you to call a tow truck, how? Besides,
there's pay-as-you-go services for people who don't use the cell phone
that often.

> The feature of "free voicemail" on cellphones is there just so you
> have to use airtime to listen to the message, then use more airtime to
> make a return call.

Actually, everyone knows that you can check your voicemail from a
landline and not get billed airtime. Which is what you'd be doing
anyway if you had a pager and no cell phone, or had a cell phone but
were THAT worried about wasting your minutes.

> Then, of course, the pager is often better at email and news then
> cellphones.

Really? Based on what? A one way pager requires me to rely on whatever
news source the paging carrier has contracted with, and I'm stuck with
small stale headlines that are a couple lines long per item (I know
because I used to subscribe to this back in the day). With a cell
phone, I can choose my news source, and get a completed story at will.

> How can I make people send me text pages?
>

> Your email program should have a function to set a "reply-to address."
> This address when set, makes an answer to your email go to that
> address regardless of the address in the "from." Field.

Ohh lovely, spam on my pager. Tell me, what happens when someone goes
over their monthly character limit? That's right, overage charges...
Now, how is that any different from someone going over their monthly
airtime limit?

You address that problem rather poorly here:

> If I toss my email address around the web, won't I get spammed on my
> pager, and charged for that message from my pager company?
>

> It's a risk.

Gee, thanks. At least with a cell phone, I can choose not to answer.
With spam on a pager, i've received the message whether i wanted to or
not. Nothing I can do about that once it's happened.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.
May 17, 2004 8:51:37 PM

In alt.cellular.sprintpcs Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote:

> How? Explain how an RF device, especially the newer two-way pagers that
> are out there, are any safer.

I'll take this one.

All two-way pagers can be set to "hospital-friendly" one-way, receive-only
mode. You won't be able to make use of stuff like the Motorola ReFlex
technology found in a lot of two-way units, though - with ReFlex, if you're
out of coverage or the pager's off, the pages are held for a few days until
the network can find you again. In one-way mode, if you miss a page, it's
gone forever. In this respect, cell phones and two-way units win over one-
way -- usually the cellular network will continue to try to deliver your page
until it can be delivered.

Hospitals don't have issues with receive-only pagers.

You can't turn a phone's transmitter off.

> Mobile web surfing on your cell phone, anyone?

A great deal with other carriers like Sprint that allow unlimited 1x
web browsing (they charge $15 per month for the privilege, but the airtime
used doesn't count against your monthly voice allotment). Not a bad deal
with Verizon NationalAccess either if you have the package that only uses
airtime but you still must watch your usage carefully - or pay a lot more
than $15/month for flat-rate usage.

>> The feature of "free voicemail" on cellphones is there just so you
>> have to use airtime to listen to the message, then use more airtime to
>> make a return call.
>
> Actually, everyone knows that you can check your voicemail from a
> landline and not get billed airtime.

....if you have a Verizon phone, but. I'm not sure if that's true for everyone.
I did just confirm that you don't get billed airtime on a Sprint phone if
checking from a landline, but I don't know about other carriers (I have
active accounts only with Verizon and Sprint).

Maybe a couple Cingular or ATT customers could chime in here and enlighten
me :)

>> Then, of course, the pager is often better at email and news then
>> cellphones.
>
> Really? Based on what? A one way pager requires me to rely on whatever
> news source the paging carrier has contracted with, and I'm stuck with
> small stale headlines that are a couple lines long per item (I know
> because I used to subscribe to this back in the day). With a cell
> phone, I can choose my news source, and get a completed story at will.

SMS is limited to 160 characters. My Motorola Timeport P900 and my
PageWriter 2000 before that (both two-way alpha pagers) could hold 500
characters per message, with messages longer than 500 characters broken up
into chunks of 500 characters each.

> Gee, thanks. At least with a cell phone, I can choose not to answer.
> With spam on a pager, i've received the message whether i wanted to or
> not. Nothing I can do about that once it's happened.

Uhhh... same with SMS spam to a cell phone.

May 18, 2004 1:42:31 AM

In article <fPedneZBttu-ZDXdRVn-hg@adelphia.com>,
George@nospam.invalid says...

> "Mike Shea" <Mike_member@newsguy.com> wrote in message
> > There is an interesting article that touches on this as well -
> >
> > How Reliable are Cell Phones -
> > http://www.ringtones-central.com/how-reliable-are-cell-...
>
> Most of the time we use the TAP protocol as described in the article to send
> alpha pages to our phones. VZW maintains a TAP interface with a toll free
> number.

So does SPCS.

--
RØß
O/Siris

In alt.cellular.sprintpcs O/Siris <0siris@spr?ntpcs.com> wrote:

> So does SPCS.

Would you happen to have the TAP number? VZW's is archived on Google somewhere
in the VZW newsgroup. We should do the same with the Sprint number.

On another note...

Verizon Wireless has an amazingly useful service called Office Message
Alert which allows an automated system like an office voicemail system to
easily send a numeric page to a VZW phone. You dial the OMA toll-free number
and then send the ten-digit area code plus phone number of the phone you
are paging, followed immediately by a ten-digit numeric message (usually
this would be something like the office's main phone number, so the person
carrying the phone knows to call in). Then you just hang up, and the message
is sent to the phone over the cellular network's paging channel.

If SPCS had something like this it would be quite beneficial, especially to
business customers. I have OMA on my phone as a no-extra-cost option. I have
to be in digital coverage and on Verizon's network to guarantee I receive
the message, but that's to be expected anyhow... Does Sprint have a similar
service?

May 18, 2004 1:52:31 AM

Isaiah Beard wrote:

> <snip>
>
> This has always been an illusion. A lack of signal strength indicators
> does not mean that you've always got a good signal. it's simply harder
> to discern whether you've actually got good coverage on a pager than it
> is on a cell phone.

Maybe yes, maybe no.

It's more of a binary (on/off) phenonenon, rather that incremental.

My pager (a 2-way Motorola PF 1500) displays "Receiving Messages" when it's
out of transmitting range, and "Storing Messages" when it's completely out
of range.

And, while not scientifically proven, at least by me, my pager *does* seem
to have better coverage than cell phones.

I'm frequently in lead-lined, or highly shielded, areas, where *no one's"
cell phone gets a signal, yet I'm able to send/receive paging messages.

Larry
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 2:01:59 AM

Lawrence Glasser wrote:

> Isaiah Beard wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > This has always been an illusion. A lack of signal strength indicators
> > does not mean that you've always got a good signal. it's simply harder
> > to discern whether you've actually got good coverage on a pager than it
> > is on a cell phone.
>
> Maybe yes, maybe no.
>
> It's more of a binary (on/off) phenonenon, rather that incremental.
>
> My pager (a 2-way Motorola PF 1500) displays "Receiving Messages" when it's
> out of transmitting range, and "Storing Messages" when it's completely out
> of range.
>
> And, while not scientifically proven, at least by me, my pager *does* seem
> to have better coverage than cell phones.
>
> I'm frequently in lead-lined, or highly shielded, areas, where *no one's"
> cell phone gets a signal, yet I'm able to send/receive paging messages.
>
> Larry

Uh, that would be "phenoMenon."

I must use my spell-checker. I must use my spell-checker.

Larry
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 4:29:07 AM

Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
>I already have a cell phone that i can take pics. of me
>playing w/my self.
>
> Larry

sacmedic35

i here he lets his dog play w/it too.
May 18, 2004 5:01:45 AM

"Robert M" <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <40A6E57A.17FF1C9F@spamcop.net>,
> Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:
>
> > Mainly because cell phones have more dead spots than pagers!

That depends on the animal. 2-way pagers have plenty of dead spots,
including inside buildings where my cell phone has no problem.

One way pagers are useless, since they don't offer store-and-forward
service. How do you know when you're out of area?
May 18, 2004 5:03:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Mark E. Daniel" <mark@atarimax.com> wrote in message
> In alt.cellular DevilsPGD <lalalaNOSPAM@crazyhat.net> wrote:
>
> > Which is weird since cell phones typically have voicemail, and will hold
> > SMS and voicemail messages until the cellphone comes back, whereas with
> > a pager, the page is completely lost if it occurs when the pager is out
> > of range.
>
> Unless you use a pager that has ReFlex service. It's a ping-pong type
> deal...Of course it costs more then your standard pager and service, but
> you will receive your pages when you get in coverage. When I used to
> have a pager I went with Reflex from two different companies. I ened up
> with Metrocall when I turned off the pager and my landline phone and
> went completely wireless in 2001.

The down side of ReFlex is when you're in a fringe area. You'll get that
page, but if the tower doesn't receive an ACK from your pager, you're going
to keep getting that page. Again and again.
May 18, 2004 5:17:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> Works fine but I'd like to see the cellular carriers offer a seperate
> phone number that goes straight to the numeric paging prompt. It could
> be another $4/month charge for them.
>
> --
> Jud
> Dallas TX USA

Verizon already does. Works great!
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 6:55:01 AM

Stan wrote:

> "Robert M" <rmarkoff@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > In article <40A6E57A.17FF1C9F@spamcop.net>,
> > Lawrence Glasser <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Mainly because cell phones have more dead spots than pagers!
> >
> That depends on the animal. 2-way pagers have plenty of dead spots,
> including inside buildings where my cell phone has no problem.
>
> One way pagers are useless, since they don't offer store-and-forward
> service. How do you know when you're out of area?

The pager displays "Storing Messages."

Larry
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 11:07:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

You don't give up. My cell phone basic plan comes with .02/msg text
messaging. I can get, silently, a 150 character or so email forwarded from
my regular account to my phone. I can also get a "page" on my phone (if
somebody wants to go through the trouble to do it), and can get silent
caller ID anytime. This is more than I ever got with a pager. You will no
doubt find the vast majority of people have come to the same conclusion as
me---there is not enough of a reason to carry a pager anymore. This is why
they are becoming a niche market.
> Prilosec wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Sorry, pagers are a dying technology. There is no advantage to them at
all
> > for me, and probably not for anyone else fairly soon.
>
> UNLESS, once again, you're in a venue where communication is a must, and
> talking on a cell phone is impossible.
>
> Larry
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 3:05:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

You guys are forgetting an important issue. Infrastructure and
reliability. Sprint's servers go down for maintenance at regular
intervals and they have NO redundancy and don't plan to have it. My
company checked. And you never know when they're going down. Sprint
says if you miss a page - so what?!?!
I've had that happen - more than once. I was on call when it happened
over New Year's Eve once and the Sprint took their messaging (voice
and text) servers down for maintenance for two days. Guess how many
pages I missed? Boy did I hear about that!
I support several mainframe applications and server apps too. My job,
like several folks, depends on getting and responding to those pages
from people and servers.

So - FYI ladies and gents. Paging companies do have server redundancy,
failover, etc. And btw. So does Cingular. Yep, my company checked.

My point: Paging companies are in the business of delivering messages
to devices. Cell phone companies view that as an ancillary service and
(I asked this question) do not feel that their servers need to be up
24X7 as paging companies do.

All of our techs carry pagers and cell phones.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 7:28:02 PM

On Sat, 15 May 2004 16:36:23 -0500, Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>In alt.cellular Please invert everything left of the @ to reply <3yeltrabnhoj@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> 1) One AA cell runs my 2-way text pager for weeks when used frequently. My
>> (three) cellphones (Nokia, Palm and Samsung) need to be restoked with a
>> charge daily, or even more often, if used frequently, even if just in text
>> modes.

>Let's be fair: that's because you only use a lot of juice when you're
>receiving or sending a page and that only takes seconds... a cell phone
>does a lot more stuff, especially when actually being used...

Yes, it does... all of which are irrelevant to the task at hand, getting a
message across, no matter what.

>> 3) Dead zones are more frequent for cellular than for pagers. When I do
>> calldowns for my (24-hour on call go-anywhere-in-seven-counties) team, I
>> always do pagers first because experience has shown that sending 'pages'
>> and SMS to cellphones results in a high failure rate. I also see this when
>> I travel in urban areas; concrete canyons block cellular signals much more
>> than paging signals.

>Hm. That doesn't make sense - it's all radio transmissions, whether to a pager
>or not.

True, but there's radio,and then there's radio.

> What frequency do pagers run on?

Various.

> Isn't it normally 900 MHz?

No.There is no 'normal', but most POCSAG pagers are VHF.

>That's pretty close to what a lot of the cellular carriers run... although a lot of
>them also run on the PCS frequencies.

Irrelevant.

--
John Bartley K7AAY http://celdata.cjb.net
This post quad-ROT-13 encrypted; reading it violates the DMCA.
Nobody but a fool goes into a federal counterrorism operation without duct tape - Richard Preston, THE COBRA EVENT.
Anonymous
May 18, 2004 7:28:03 PM

In alt.cellular yeltrabnhoj@email.com wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2004 16:36:23 -0500, Steven J Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
> wrote:
>
>>In alt.cellular Please invert everything left of the @ to reply <3yeltrabnhoj@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> 1) One AA cell runs my 2-way text pager for weeks when used frequently. My
>>> (three) cellphones (Nokia, Palm and Samsung) need to be restoked with a
>>> charge daily, or even more often, if used frequently, even if just in text
>>> modes.
>
>>Let's be fair: that's because you only use a lot of juice when you're
>>receiving or sending a page and that only takes seconds... a cell phone
>>does a lot more stuff, especially when actually being used...
>
> Yes, it does... all of which are irrelevant to the task at hand, getting a
> message across, no matter what.

Then why did you bring up the point? I was responding to you, sir.

>>Hm. That doesn't make sense - it's all radio transmissions, whether to a pager
>>or not.
>
> True, but there's radio,and then there's radio.

Radio waves act the same no matter which device they're coming from.

>>That's pretty close to what a lot of the cellular carriers run... although a lot of
>>them also run on the PCS frequencies.
>
> Irrelevant.

Not irrelevant. Some frequencies penetrate buildings and other structures
better.