Catalyst 4.5 and 4.6 cause windows problems and directx di..

Hi,

I've installed the Catalyst 4.6 and now my video card is slow!
dxdiag says any directx features are disabled!

My system:
Ati all in wonder 8500 DV
P4 2ghz

older drivers have no problems.

any idea?

Please reply by email (willgartNoSpam@hotmail.nospam.com

On 14 Jun 2004 20:15:04 -0700, willgart@hotmail.com (J?j?) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've installed the Catalyst 4.6 and now my video card is slow!
>dxdiag says any directx features are disabled!
>
>My system:
>Ati all in wonder 8500 DV
>P4 2ghz
>
>older drivers have no problems.
>
>any idea?
>
>Please reply by email (willgartNoSpam@hotmail.nospam.com

Have Smartgart retest all.

Enable them?

"J?j?" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've installed the Catalyst 4.6 and now my video card is slow!
> dxdiag says any directx features are disabled!
>
> My system:
> Ati all in wonder 8500 DV
> P4 2ghz
>
> older drivers have no problems.
>
> any idea?
>
> Please reply by email (willgartNoSpam@hotmail.nospam.com

"J?j?" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've installed the Catalyst 4.6 and now my video card is slow!
> dxdiag says any directx features are disabled!

You can't take the easy way out and simply install the newer drivers over
your existing ones.

You MUST uninstall your current drivers (Add/Remove programs, look for the
drivers uninstall then software uninstall utilities), reboot, cancel windows
installing generic drivers, then start your new drivers install.

After a reboot, it will be hunky-dory.

HTH,

Neil

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:27:46 +0100, "[neil]" <neilw@legend.co.uk>
wrote:

>You can't take the easy way out and simply install the newer drivers over
>your existing ones.
>
>You MUST uninstall your current drivers (Add/Remove programs, look for the
>drivers uninstall then software uninstall utilities), reboot, cancel windows
>installing generic drivers, then start your new drivers install.
>
>After a reboot, it will be hunky-dory.
>
>HTH,
>
>Neil

I just install over the top when using Omega drivers and never had a
problem. On Win98SE I remember my Directx acceleration was disabled
and having SmartGart retest caused it to enable again.

"Diskhead" <disk@head.invalid> wrote in message
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:27:46 +0100, "[neil]" <neilw@legend.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>>You can't take the easy way out and simply install the newer drivers over
>>your existing ones.
>>
>>You MUST uninstall your current drivers (Add/Remove programs, look for the
>>drivers uninstall then software uninstall utilities), reboot, cancel
>>windows
>>installing generic drivers, then start your new drivers install.
>>
>>After a reboot, it will be hunky-dory.
>>
>>HTH,
>>
>>Neil
>>

> I just install over the top when using Omega drivers and never had a
> problem. On Win98SE I remember my Directx acceleration was disabled
> and having SmartGart retest caused it to enable again.

It's always *best* to uninstall the old drivers first but but why should one
have to. Is it really that difficult to create a driver package (or any
application) that you can install over a previous setup maybe by
uninstalling old files first?

BillL

Interesting. I never uninstall the old drivers. I always just install the
new ones over the old ones. Never had a problem. I've been doing this for
about two years now

"[neil]" <neilw@legend.co.uk> wrote in message
> "J?j?" <willgart@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've installed the Catalyst 4.6 and now my video card is slow!
> > dxdiag says any directx features are disabled!
>
> You can't take the easy way out and simply install the newer drivers over
> your existing ones.
>
> You MUST uninstall your current drivers (Add/Remove programs, look for the
> drivers uninstall then software uninstall utilities), reboot, cancel
windows
> installing generic drivers, then start your new drivers install.
>
> After a reboot, it will be hunky-dory.
>
> HTH,
>
> Neil

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:41:12 GMT, "Bill Larcombe"
<billc1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>It's always *best* to uninstall the old drivers first but but why should one
>have to. Is it really that difficult to create a driver package (or any
>application) that you can install over a previous setup maybe by
>uninstalling old files first?
>
>BillL

That's one of the reasons I prefer to use Omega drivers, he has
designed the package so you don't need to uninstall the old drivers.

"Daniel Czajko" <fatone76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Interesting. I never uninstall the old drivers. I always just install
the
> new ones over the old ones. Never had a problem. I've been doing this
for
> about two years now

I agree you shouldn't *have* to uninstall first, and sometimes maybe you can
get away with it... but on the couple of times I've thought "sod it, I'll
install over the top", I've had no DX acceleration in windows and had to
uninstall, reboot, install, reboot and it's then been ok.

Neil

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 13:49:57 +0100, "[neil]" <neilw@legend.co.uk>
wrote:

>"Daniel Czajko" <fatone76@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Interesting. I never uninstall the old drivers. I always just install
>the
>> new ones over the old ones. Never had a problem. I've been doing this
>for
>> about two years now

>I agree you shouldn't *have* to uninstall first, and sometimes maybe you can
>get away with it... but on the couple of times I've thought "sod it, I'll
>install over the top", I've had no DX acceleration in windows and had to
>uninstall, reboot, install, reboot and it's then been ok.

>Neil

The ' gart ' in the Omegas tests this fix then ' fixes ' this test.
Maybe the ' gart ' in the ATi set does the same I've no idea - I don't
use em!

BoroLad