Winxp & Active Directory - New workstations user rights to..

Have a Active directory domain on a Windows 2003 server. Just upgraded some
workstations from windows 98 to XP. These were new computers.

Problem is users can not install programs, must be done as admin. Previous
computers this was not an issue.

Now 2 of the workstations were existing XP. All that was done is they were
switched to new users. But, the problem still exists where the user can not
install software.

I was under the impression that Active directory would control user rights
to install software, but it appears that this is not the case, it is the
workstations themselves. What needs to be done so we can set users to install
their own software ?

All workstations are now upgraded to SP2. So it may be a factor, we do not
know. We did not attempt any software installs until after the upgrades.

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Create a security group called for example grpAdminws. Add the users who need
admin access to this.

On each of the xp workstations go into the workstation admin console
lusrmgr.msc.

Select the groups option, and then open the administrators group. Add the
group grpadminws.

Advise to reboot workstation.

each of the users will have now admin access to the workstation.