access to encrypted directory

i have just reinstalled xp forgotting all about that
i had some very important encrypted directories

when i try to access this directories now, i simple get
access denied and i seem not to be able to do anything

i have even tried to create a user with the same name
as the one who previously created but it does of course
not work

please let me know what i should do

(urgent)

Here are two ways to recover your encrypted data:

1) If you had your EFS keys backed up to a PFX, you can import them and
recover your data.
2) If there was a recovery agent configured, the recovery agent can use
his/her keys to recover the data.

--
Shreeniwas Kelkar [MSFT]

<ayehu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>i have just reinstalled xp forgotting all about that
> i had some very important encrypted directories
>
> when i try to access this directories now, i simple get
> access denied and i seem not to be able to do anything
>
> i have even tried to create a user with the same name
> as the one who previously created but it does of course
> not work
>
> please let me know what i should do
>
> (urgent)

Those files are most likely gone. Without having exported the necessary keys
before reinstalling XP has rendered these files inaccessible.

> please let me know what i should do

Those files are gone. You should prepare properly for the next time you use
EFS.

See:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;241201

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

<ayehu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>i have just reinstalled xp forgotting all about that
> i had some very important encrypted directories
>
> when i try to access this directories now, i simple get
> access denied and i seem not to be able to do anything
>
> i have even tried to create a user with the same name
> as the one who previously created but it does of course
> not work
>
> please let me know what i should do
>
> (urgent)

ok thanks
this means i will not be able to access the files
but now since it takes my precious 10 gb of diskspace
is there anyway to delete it
best
Shreeniwas Kelkar [MSFT] wrote:
> Here are two ways to recover your encrypted data:
>
> 1) If you had your EFS keys backed up to a PFX, you can import them
and
> recover your data.
> 2) If there was a recovery agent configured, the recovery agent can
use
> his/her keys to recover the data.
>
> --
> Shreeniwas Kelkar [MSFT]

rights.

> <ayehu@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >i have just reinstalled xp forgotting all about that
> > i had some very important encrypted directories
> >
> > when i try to access this directories now, i simple get
> > access denied and i seem not to be able to do anything
> >
> > i have even tried to create a user with the same name
> > as the one who previously created but it does of course
> > not work
> >
> > please let me know what i should do
> >
> > (urgent)

Hej guy,
thank you very much since you just solved all
my problems
best