Access Denied one one PC but not the other

January 26, 2005 11:21:59 PM

I have two XP-Pro PCs on a Workgroup. My kids have limited accounts on both
with the same User Names on both. They don't have passwords. I set the Share
Permissions on the D drive on both PCs to Everyone/Full Control. For
Security I set Everyone and Users to Read.

The problem: They can access the D drive from PC 1 to PC 2, but when going
from PC 2 to PC 1 they get access denied. Best I can tell the Share/Security
settings are identical on both PCs. I can resolve this with a password, but
my kids are too young to type passwords (pretty good with the mouse though).
Any other ideas?

Thanks,
John

More about : access denied one

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 27, 2005 10:55:22 AM

Accounts: Limit local account use of blank passwords to console logon only

For direct e-mailing remove "-spam" from my e-mail address
--
Best Regards,
Matija Hrovat

"John" <JJCronin@email.msn.com> wrote in message
>I have two XP-Pro PCs on a Workgroup. My kids have limited accounts on both
>with the same User Names on both. They don't have passwords. I set the
>Share Permissions on the D drive on both PCs to Everyone/Full Control. For
>Security I set Everyone and Users to Read.
>
> The problem: They can access the D drive from PC 1 to PC 2, but when going
> from PC 2 to PC 1 they get access denied. Best I can tell the
> Share/Security settings are identical on both PCs. I can resolve this with
> a password, but my kids are too young to type passwords (pretty good with
> the mouse though). Any other ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> John

January 30, 2005 1:35:42 PM

Thanks. I changed the account setting on the one PC and it worked.

Just curious, any ideas why the other PC had no trouble with accepting a
blank password? The account setting for limiting blank passwords to console
logon on that PC is still enabled.

Thanks again,
John